Helpful ReplyHot!Contingent spontaneous/casual/unthemed events

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 6
Author
will_work_4_bbq
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 640
Re: Contingent spontaneous/casual/unthemed events 2018/10/29 19:39:57 (permalink)
I know!  I am dying to hear about it and see pictures!  I looked up the place, and the Yelp pictures made me want to jump in the car and drive up there!
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5496
Re: Contingent spontaneous/casual/unthemed events 2018/10/29 20:00:18 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiBears15 2018/10/29 20:48:58
Some pics....

Girlie drinks.

Ice supply.

I decided not to take any more photos after they gave my RARE slice of prime rib to Pete and gave me a scrawny non-RARE slice. It was almost 1:45 after our seating that our meals showed up. Their carry-out business takes priority to in-house patrons arriving at opening, so by the time we were served it was too late to correct my order. Lucy's prime rib came as MEDIUM and couldn't be corrected either. Pete seemed to think his slice was MR, so maybe mine was MEDIUM too.

Besides the extremely long wait and the uncorrectable orders, this is a great place.

UPDATE: Correcting a misconception I created with the above. The prime rib at Art & Alma's was actually about the best I have ever eaten. I was just pissed that my rare slice was misdelivered and could not be replaced. Those little plastic RARE & MEDIUM RARE skewers would be a cheap addition by the restaurant to avoid these misteaks (sic) in the future. The long wait time for our meals was not really a problem since we were surrounded by great conversationalists who we enjoy spending our time with. When our bill arrived our waitress explained that she had comped our dessert as a form of compensation for the long wait.
post edited by JRPfeff - 2018/11/04 01:13:33
ChiBears15
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 472
Re: Contingent spontaneous/casual/unthemed events 2018/10/29 20:48:54 (permalink)
Jim, please tell us how you really feel.
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: Contingent spontaneous/casual/unthemed events 2018/10/29 22:26:31 (permalink)
Danny,

My small portion tasted very good. It would have been even better if cooked to my desired doneness.

Jim

irisarbor
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 738
Re: Contingent spontaneous/casual/unthemed events 2018/10/31 09:55:46 (permalink)
I did not order the Prime rib, I ordered an assortment called "the Benchmark". It included a 4oz filet, which was ordered and arrived mid-rare, a crab cake, 3 shrimp, and 2 scallops. All sauces arrived on the side as requested. 
Everything tasted fine, but the only item that was more than lukewarm was the steak. And the wait was soooo long. I don't know if the size of our group overwhelmed them, but another 4 top nearby was getting the same song and dance from the waitress so I think not. ("They're just plating up your dinner now..." ) Frank mentioned his prime rib which was fairly close to mid-rare was also not hot, but he was not in the mood to delay dinner further. They also never brought his side, but again, not worth bothering over. 

post edited by irisarbor - 2018/10/31 10:02:17

Attached Image(s)

JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: Contingent spontaneous/casual/unthemed events 2018/10/31 11:40:44 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby nagle 2018/10/31 20:24:53
Elaine,

I think A&A's has become a victim of their own success. Our waitress apologized for the delay when she handed me our check. She said they received a rush of carry-out orders that delayed meals being plated for the in-house patrons. That should never be allowed to happen at any business. Do not give priority to someone who phoned it in over guests who took the time (in our case over 2 hours each way) to drive to your establishment (and buy alcoholic beverages that boost the bottom line too).

Jim
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8668
Re: Contingent spontaneous/casual/unthemed events 2018/10/31 12:30:16 (permalink)
After a very good experience at Art & Alma's 6 months ago I'm sorry to read that this one didn't turn out so well.

If anyone's in the mood for some barbecue this coming Saturday or Sunday, I'm thinking about checking out David Alan Alan's in Mukwonago (home of The Elegant Farmer).  Saturday would probably be after 1 as I have some things to do in the morning, but Sunday looks pretty open.  Incidentally, DST ends this weekend as well so now we can start thinking about visiting places that have good nighttime signage without having to plan later dinners.
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6307
Re: Contingent spontaneous/casual/unthemed events 2018/10/31 14:20:13 (permalink)
If we make the run up to Mukwonago, it'll be on Saturday for sure.  Looks likely, but things come up.  After 1pm is just fine with us.

Buddy
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: Contingent spontaneous/casual/unthemed events 2018/10/31 16:57:26 (permalink)
I'm gonna stick to my guns here and maintain Art & Alma's served me the best Prime Rib I've ever tasted.  Twice.  Once earlier this year, and again this past weekend.  The flavor, the tenderness, the requested done-ness was all exemplary.

That said, there were some issues during our visit Sunday evening.  Yes, the food took far too long to get to our table.  In addition, the side dish portions were pathetically undersized.  Our order of the "Original House Potato" dish (shredded hash brown potatoes and cheese, served in rectangles, cut from a casserole) was about 2/3 the size of a deck of cards and barely as thick.  The dish of Creamed Spinach couldn't have been more than two tablespoons worth.  The scoop of Garlic Mashed Potatoes looked like it was measured out with a melon baller.  This was woefully inadequate, and not at all what we experienced last winter.  I can assure you, if we'd been served portions that small, I would have noticed, and we wouldn't have gone back with six friends (and potential new customers) in tow.

I suspect the problem related back to what JRPfeff mentioned, regarding the sudden rush of carry-out orders.  I'm guessing the kitchen was in danger of running out of food, so they cut down on portions to accommodate everyone.  While I sympathize with them, it is still wholly unacceptable.  At some point someone in charge should have shut down the phone orders and focused on keeping the in-store customers happy.

With all those negatives acknowledged, I will say this about the Prime Rib concerns: I was sitting about 4-5 feet away from the two hunks of cow in question.  Both of them looked beautifully bright pink from edge to edge, with a gorgeous seared herb crust all the way around.  They appeared identical in size, from my angle, and both were clearly larger than the 16oz. cut I ordered.  With less inedible fat.

I plan to call the manager (owner?) and relate our experience and disappointment.  Not sure what I expect them to do about it other than to take responsibility for the shortcomings and promise to work on correcting them in the future.  Because I'll be going back A&A's eventually, and I'd like to rave about it the same way I did the first time we went.

Buddy
irisarbor
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Contingent spontaneous/casual/unthemed events 2018/11/01 09:23:49 (permalink)
I do agree with you Buddy in that Franks cut was absolutely larger than 16 oz and was cooked as requested, it just was kind of not very warm by the time it got to the table. My filet was also cooked perfectly and was warmer than everything else. I suspect it was the last thing fired. 
Gyp
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 254
Re: Contingent spontaneous/casual/unthemed events 2018/11/01 09:44:22 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
If we make the run up to Mukwonago, it'll be on Saturday for sure.  Looks likely, but things come up.  After 1pm is just fine with us.

Buddy

I’m up for this.
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5158
Re: Contingent spontaneous/casual/unthemed events 2018/11/01 13:00:37 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
I'm gonna stick to my guns here and maintain Art & Alma's served me the best Prime Rib I've ever tasted.  Twice.  Once earlier this year, and again this past weekend.  The flavor, the tenderness, the requested done-ness was all exemplary.

That said, there were some issues during our visit Sunday evening.  Yes, the food took far too long to get to our table.  In addition, the side dish portions were pathetically undersized.  Our order of the "Original House Potato" dish (shredded hash brown potatoes and cheese, served in rectangles, cut from a casserole) was about 2/3 the size of a deck of cards and barely as thick.  The dish of Creamed Spinach couldn't have been more than two tablespoons worth.  The scoop of Garlic Mashed Potatoes looked like it was measured out with a melon baller.  This was woefully inadequate, and not at all what we experienced last winter.  I can assure you, if we'd been served portions that small, I would have noticed, and we wouldn't have gone back with six friends (and potential new customers) in tow.

I suspect the problem related back to what JRPfeff mentioned, regarding the sudden rush of carry-out orders.  I'm guessing the kitchen was in danger of running out of food, so they cut down on portions to accommodate everyone.  While I sympathize with them, it is still wholly unacceptable.  At some point someone in charge should have shut down the phone orders and focused on keeping the in-store customers happy.

With all those negatives acknowledged, I will say this about the Prime Rib concerns: I was sitting about 4-5 feet away from the two hunks of cow in question.  Both of them looked beautifully bright pink from edge to edge, with a gorgeous seared herb crust all the way around.  They appeared identical in size, from my angle, and both were clearly larger than the 16oz. cut I ordered.  With less inedible fat.

I plan to call the manager (owner?) and relate our experience and disappointment.  Not sure what I expect them to do about it other than to take responsibility for the shortcomings and promise to work on correcting them in the future.  Because I'll be going back A&A's eventually, and I'd like to rave about it the same way I did the first time we went.

Buddy

Please let us know the results of the conversation...this is a place that interests me also.  
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: Contingent spontaneous/casual/unthemed events 2018/11/01 13:05:27 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2018/11/02 12:20:15
Gregg,

Buddy will sweet talk a certificate for a free meal. Make sure he gives it to you before you go there.

jrp
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: Contingent spontaneous/casual/unthemed events 2018/11/01 18:37:28 (permalink)
Gyp
BuddyRoadhouse

I’m up for this.

Saturday at 1:30 sound good?  A couple more people and we could get a nice variety of 'cue...
Gyp
Cheeseburger
Re: Contingent spontaneous/casual/unthemed events 2018/11/01 21:15:06 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
Gyp
BuddyRoadhouse

I’m up for this.

Saturday at 1:30 sound good?  A couple more people and we could get a nice variety of 'cue...

Works for me
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: Contingent spontaneous/casual/unthemed events 2018/11/02 01:17:00 (permalink)
We're 90% in for two.  Should know more about the rest of the clan sometime tomorrow.

Buddy
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: Contingent spontaneous/casual/unthemed events 2018/11/02 12:53:37 (permalink)
Pie Diva says we are fairly certain for Saturday at 1:30.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: Contingent spontaneous/casual/unthemed events 2018/11/02 13:18:07 (permalink)
Hopefully we'll be eating before 3:15.
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: Contingent spontaneous/casual/unthemed events 2018/11/02 13:31:59 (permalink)
We'll get there first and order the rare prime rib.
Gyp
Cheeseburger
Re: Contingent spontaneous/casual/unthemed events 2018/11/02 14:10:42 (permalink)
I hope they use a melon baller to serve the mashed potatoes
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: Contingent spontaneous/casual/unthemed events 2018/11/02 15:43:50 (permalink)
Gyp
I hope they use a melon baller to serve the mashed potatoes

We need Jack Webb doing a disclaimer before anyone posts here. "Anything you say, can and will..."
irisarbor
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Contingent spontaneous/casual/unthemed events 2018/11/03 10:29:33 (permalink)
I'll think of you as we sit in my committee meeting reviewing pathology slides. " />
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: Contingent spontaneous/casual/unthemed events 2018/11/03 12:13:35 (permalink)
Pathology slides on a Saturday?  What a way to spend your weekend.

No offense, but I will try extra hard not to think of your pathology slides as we tuck into Wisconsin BBQ this afternoon.

Buddy
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: Contingent spontaneous/casual/unthemed events 2018/11/03 20:40:36 (permalink)
irisarbor
I did not order the Prime rib, I ordered an assortment called "the Benchmark". It included a 4oz filet, which was ordered and arrived mid-rare, a crab cake, 3 shrimp, and 2 scallops. All sauces arrived on the side as requested. 
Everything tasted fine, but the only item that was more than lukewarm was the steak. And the wait was soooo long. I don't know if the size of our group overwhelmed them, but another 4 top nearby was getting the same song and dance from the waitress so I think not. ("They're just plating up your dinner now..." ) Frank mentioned his prime rib which was fairly close to mid-rare was also not hot, but he was not in the mood to delay dinner further. They also never brought his side, but again, not worth bothering over. 

Elaine,

Did Frank order the spinach as his side dish? An order was delivered between me & Bobbi. We shared it after noticing the spinach while consuming our entrees. It was delicious and HUGE (YUGE if MFL is reading this) compared to the potato hotdish that many had ordered. My potato pancakes were also substantially sized and extremely enjoyable.

Jim
post edited by JRPfeff - 2018/11/03 20:54:08
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: Contingent spontaneous/casual/unthemed events 2018/11/03 20:49:44 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse

Buddy

Buddy,

I am in 100% agreement with your opinion of Art & Alma's prime rib. It was outstanding. It's your loss that you split that tiny slice with two others. What in bloody heck were you thinking man?

I am interested in no further compensation from the restaurant. I had an excellent meal for what I paid and enjoyed a nice evening with good friends. You might suggest that the restaurant invest any potential compensation instead in those plastic doneness skewers for the benefit of their servers and customers.

Now about those BBQ ribs at that other AA place today ...

Jim
post edited by JRPfeff - 2018/11/03 23:14:31
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: Contingent spontaneous/casual/unthemed events 2018/11/03 22:11:13 (permalink)
JRPfeff
Now about those BBQ ribs at that other AA place today ...

Did you not like yours?  I thought mine were very good.
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: Contingent spontaneous/casual/unthemed events 2018/11/04 01:02:17 (permalink)
Today's ribs at David Alan Alan's reminded me of an air guitar competition; good showmanship, but ultimately nothing there.

Buddy
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: Contingent spontaneous/casual/unthemed events 2018/11/04 01:07:24 (permalink)
Coming soon to a Contingent near you: Meal & movie & another meal & Kopp's.

During lunch at David Alan Alan's Chris Steakhouse Bar-B-Que Emporium & Saloon today we discussed a near future Sunday outing using movie passes that Bobbi has earned. The Marcus Ridge Cinema is handily located on the Southern outskirts of Milwaukee and has an on premise Zaffiro's Pizzeria for fine thin crust Milwaukee Style Pizza. Starting with pizza at Zaffiro's we will then view a new release motion picture. Following the movie, a long awaited trip to the Sze Chuan Restaurant in West Allis can be made, before a stop at Kopp's for frozen custard followed by our drives home.

No Doodle Poll this time. A Danny Poll will determine the optimal movie and Sunday. We'll plan on December 2 or 9 for this outing.

That's All Folks, for now anyway.
post edited by JRPfeff - 2018/11/04 09:04:36
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: Contingent spontaneous/casual/unthemed events 2018/11/04 03:19:44 (permalink)
JRPfeff
Buddy,

I am in 100% agreement with your opinion of Art & Alma's prime rib. It was outstanding. It's your loss that you split that tiny slice with two others. What in bloody heck were you thinking man?

While I do indeed love the Prime Rib at Art & Alma's, I'm still a sucker for variety.  I split my (totally adequate) 16oz. portion with quijote and sancho panza along with an order of Pork Schnitzel and the fish special of the day, White Fish over Sausage Hash with a Lobster Creme Sauce.  I regret nothing.  All of it was very good, although the Prime Rib remains the main draw for me at A&A's

JRPfeff
I am interested in no further compensation from the restaurant. I had an excellent meal for what I paid and enjoyed a nice evening with good friends. You might suggest that the restaurant invest any potential compensation instead in those plastic doneness skewers for the benefit of their servers and customers.

Thanks for clearing that up.

A quick update: As promised, I did speak with an owner the other day and described the issues we experienced during our meal.  He was greatly embarrassed and wants to make things right.  While I appreciate that, I think we all agree that there were many positives in our dinner as well as the negatives.  As such, his determination for "making it right" should be fair and shouldn't go beyond the actual problems.  Your clarification takes one issue off the table.

We're scheduled to talk again later this week.  I'l make sure he knows, while there were still issues with the food taking an extraordinarily long time to hit our table and the small portions on the side dishes, you were actually very happy with the overall quality of the meal.  I think that's an accurate assessment for everyone at the table.  If not, please let me know ASAP.

Buddy
irisarbor
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Contingent spontaneous/casual/unthemed events 2018/11/04 09:43:08 (permalink)
Frank had ordered green beans as a side. So did I. One dish showed up between the 2 of us. 
Not a huge issue. 
For him the biggest flaw was the temp of his dinner which was not warm. 
The meat was cooked to the correct done-ness and the portion was very generous, 
but it was lukewarm at best, likely due to waiting so long to be served. 
It was still a great afternoon with wonderful friends, 
and we especially enjoyed seeing the FLW Farmhouse, which was a true highlight. 
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 6
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5