Cook Out Burgers & Shakes --- anyone here tried them?

Author
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6921
2017/07/31 20:42:03 (permalink)

Cook Out Burgers & Shakes --- anyone here tried them?

Today, I ran across a highly complimentary review of them in Business Insider and was wondering if anyone here had tried them.  

Any fast food joint that serves chopped pork BBQ and hush puppies has my intense attention!  They are all over the mid-Atlantic and Southeast, so they have to be coming soon to DFW. 

11 Replies Related Threads

JRPfeff
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re: Cook Out Burgers & Shakes --- anyone here tried them? 2017/07/31 20:56:53 (permalink)
    There's one that's walking distance from our NC home. I always expect something special when I go to Cook Out, and am always disappointed. I prefer driving across town to Hardee's if I want a fast food burger.
    JRPfeff
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re: Cook Out Burgers & Shakes --- anyone here tried them? 2017/07/31 21:06:22 (permalink)
    MetroJim - With all the great barbecue around here, I never even noticed the pork sandwich and hush puppies on the menu.
    MetroplexJim
    Sirloin
    Re: Cook Out Burgers & Shakes --- anyone here tried them? 2017/08/01 11:00:06 (permalink)
    JRPfeff
    MetroJim - With all the great barbecue around here, I never even noticed the pork sandwich and hush puppies on the menu.

When it comes to true barbecue (minced whole hog), Texas is a vast desert.  So, whatever Cook Out serves in the way of a minced pork sandwich has to be better than the tasteless pulled pork "down here".

But, if you are a fan of barbeque (a torturous process that turns a cheap cut of beef into a $20/lb. gourmet treat), there are plenty of opportunities here.

Don't get me wrong, I love BBQ brisket; however, I eschew that nasty Texas sweet sauce and dunk mine into Lee & Perrins' Worcestershire Sauce.

----------------------

And yes, Hardees/Carl's Jr. does make a very tasty burger!

Glenn1234
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 835
    Re: Cook Out Burgers & Shakes --- anyone here tried them? 2017/08/02 00:15:35 (permalink)
    We have stopped at a few Cook Out locations when traveling late (when most real Roadfood places are closed.)  Some Cook Outs are open until 1 a.m.  We have not tried the Bar-B-Cue there.  The Bar-B-Cue does not look appetizing, and there is no wood smoke in sight.   The burgers are actually pretty good for a chain place.  Very fresh toppings.  The shakes are very good.  There are a lot of "mix-ins" that you can choose.  A Walnut shake we got was chock full of good walnuts.  The walnuts were about 25-30% of the volume.   They also have some good seasonal shakes, mixing in everything from chunks of watermelon to chunks of peaches.  They also serve Cheerwine soda.   Quite delicious.   
    If you are traveling late, and good RoadFood places are closed, I would not turn down Cook Out for burgers and shakes, or a tasty Cheerwine.   The Bar-B-Cue looks less promising, but we did not try it.  

Glenn

post edited by Glenn1234 - 2017/08/02 00:20:16
    cavandre
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1978
    Re: Cook Out Burgers & Shakes --- anyone here tried them? 2017/08/02 08:34:17 (permalink)
    This chain is all over the South East, except for FL which is strange.
    hatteras04
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1316
    Re: Cook Out Burgers & Shakes --- anyone here tried them? 2017/08/02 09:12:51 (permalink)
    I agree with Glenn.  I stopped there once and the burgers were pretty good.  If I remember correctly you got to choose two sides with a combo meal and I got a small cup of chili that was surprisingly good for a fast food place.   
    MetroplexJim
    Sirloin
    Re: Cook Out Burgers & Shakes --- anyone here tried them? 2017/08/02 10:01:26 (permalink)
    Glenn1234
    We have not tried the Bar-B-Cue there.  The Bar-B-Cue does not look appetizing, and there is no wood smoke in sight. ...  The Bar-B-Cue looks less promising, but we did not try it.  

Glenn

Don't let cosmetics and a lack of smoke put you off altogether.

IMHO the tastiest sandwich in all of NoVa is the "XL Eastern Carolina Barbecue Sandwich" at Weenie Beenie in Arlington

It is pug-ugly and the 'cue comes out of a can (i.e., the only smoke there comes from their grilling half-smokes on a flat top).

I order mine with no slaw and extra hot sauce.  Washing it down with a Mountain Dew, no ice, puts me in NoVa Hog Heaven!

Glenn: knowing your affection for E. Carolina 'cue, trust me, you owe it to yourself to try it!

Glenn1234
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 835
    Re: Cook Out Burgers & Shakes --- anyone here tried them? 2017/08/07 14:52:50 (permalink)
    MetroplexJim
    Glenn1234
    We have not tried the Bar-B-Cue there.  The Bar-B-Cue does not look appetizing, and there is no wood smoke in sight. ...  The Bar-B-Cue looks less promising, but we did not try it.  

Glenn

Don't let cosmetics and a lack of smoke put you off altogether.

IMHO the tastiest sandwich in all of NoVa is the "XL Eastern Carolina Barbecue Sandwich" at Weenie Beenie in Arlington

It is pug-ugly and the 'cue comes out of a can (i.e., the only smoke there comes from their grilling half-smokes on a flat top).

I order mine with no slaw and extra hot sauce.  Washing it down with a Mountain Dew, no ice, puts me in NoVa Hog Heaven!

Glenn: knowing your affection for E. Carolina 'cue, trust me, you owe it to yourself to try it!

Jim -  We live in Florida now, and on our way back from RI to FL last week, we stopped in NoVA.  As per your advice,  tried out the East Carolina 'cue sandwich.   Like you, I also get it without slaw.  For 'cue from a can, it was not bad (for NoVA).  I'm not a big fan of ultra finely minced 'cue, and this one was quite finely minced.   I realize the eastern NC whole hog places like to mince it a bit to blend the flavors, but my biases lean toward a bit coarser chop, such as found at Grady's and B's.  

Weenie Beenie is not in the league of a Grady's or a B's or a Wilber's, ... but I have to give Weenie Beenie credit for at least attempting a decent East Carolina 'cue.  There are so many places in NoVA (and other places) that call their BBQ "Carolina style", and it comes smothered in some sort of dark, saucy muck!   Weenie Beenie was at least on the right track.   I would not go too far out of my way for one (partly because of my bias for a bit coarser chop), but I would not outright turn down a Weenie Beenie 'cue sandwich, either.  

After going there, my wife, Janet informed me that we had gone there many years ago.  Maybe 25 years ago.  It looked vaguely familiar.   I generally recall the places that are really good, or really bad.  I guess this was a "middle of the roader" for me.    Our favorite 'cue in NoVA is "Dixie Bones" in Woodbridge (not to be confused with the chain called "Smokey Bones").   Partlow's General Store in Ashburn is pretty good, too.

Anyway, thanks for the tip.   I'm glad I tried Weenie Beenie (again!)   :) 

Glenn

post edited by Glenn1234 - 2017/08/07 14:57:49
    MetroplexJim
    Sirloin
    Re: Cook Out Burgers & Shakes --- anyone here tried them? 2017/08/07 19:51:23 (permalink)
    ^^^^^

Glenn, I'm glad you gave 'ol Weenie Beenie a try.  I am partial to the fine mince; maybe that's why I liked it better than you.  However you slice, pull, or mince it whole hog is far better than the tasteless puled shoulder sold here in Texas and elsewhere in NoVa.

Along with Mario's Pizza & Subs and Cherrydale Hardware, Weenie Beenie should be designated as "Historic Landmarks" before they go the way of Whitey's and Tom Sarris' Orleans House!
    RoadieHungry
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re: Cook Out Burgers & Shakes --- anyone here tried them? 2017/08/07 22:47:47 (permalink)
    I've been planning to try that place too
    MetroplexJim
    Sirloin
    Re: Cook Out Burgers & Shakes --- anyone here tried them? 2017/08/10 12:41:34 (permalink)
    RoadieHungry
    I've been planning to try that place too

Along with the XL Carolina 'Cue sandwich, it's great for half-smokes and a variety of grilled cheese sandwiches ("plain", with ham, bacon, etc.)..
    Jump to:
    © 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5