Cooking for Kids

Author
jellybear
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1135
2005/01/21 08:53:48 (permalink)

Cooking for Kids

I have two small Keets and cooking everyday for them is a challenge,I am always in search of different recipes and ideas to get them to eat better.The favorites are the usual chicken fingers,grilled cheese,spagehtti,fried fish,hot dogs ect.What can I do to spark some interest around dinner time?Something to make supper time fun and tasty?Any body have some family favorites?

2 Replies Related Threads

chezkatie
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1331
    RE: Cooking for Kids 2005/01/21 09:35:04 (permalink)
    My grandchildren are very adventuresome eaters............they will fight for the last piece of calamari BUT they do not really care for spicy food. Tonight, for example, we are having chili, cornbread and tossed salad. They will have to eat at least two "tastes" of the chili and then will be given deviled eggs to have with their salad and cornbread. This way they will learn to try everything and hopefully, to eat everything.

Some things they really love that I think most small ones would eat are:

shrimp scampi,

small baked drumsticks which they can dip into a mild barbeque sauce,

minature swedish meatballs served over noodles,

homemade beef stew with the beef being cut into very small cubes,

tiny carrots cooked and glazed with maple syrup or brown sugar and butter,

very small veggie sticks with each child having their own dipping bowl,

deviled eggs,

sliced ham spread with cream cheese and a sweet pickle stick laid on it and then rolled up,

sweet potatoe slices baked with sliced apples and brown sugar

ham loaf with a fruit sauce

chicken croquettes; made smaller for the children

pancakes filled with fruit and served with crisp bacon

small shisk kabobs done on grill

fried rice

any kind of lo mein
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Cooking for Kids 2005/01/21 09:42:14 (permalink)
    This isnt a reccomendation for any one food---i started cooking WITH my kids VERY early---like preschool---its really impressive what they can do if they get help and i found that they will eat almost ANYTHING ---IF--they get to cook it---especially if its something that will impresws the "big folks"--ir my daughters preschool when we lived at married student housing at UC SanDiergo. was a co-op and i would get 4 or 5 of the kids every day to make lunches--they we rapidly ready to take on some really impressive meals--ie wonton soup--egg rolls--enchiladas-plus they LOVED making thier own mac and cheese from scratch!----and dont forget desserts!!! They'd eat anything if they got to have thir own home made cup cakes for dessert!! By the time my daugter was in 3rd grade and we were living in a small fishing village in Jamaica--she could go down to the shore and buy all the ingrediants for a fish dinner--come home and then cook dinner for the whole family. Then of course she is the brightest,best looking and most talanted kid in the world so thats no surprise!
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5