Cow & Quince (New Glarus, WI)

Author
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9231
2018/11/03 19:58:29 (permalink)

Cow & Quince (New Glarus, WI)

Awhile back the TV show Discover Wisconsin had a segment about 8 must-try burgers, and 1 of the locations was Cow & Quince in New Glarus.  I don't think C & Q qualifies very well as Roadfood but it does qualify as Goodfood, and about a month ago I met JRPfeff and Pie Diva there for Sunday lunch.  The BuddyRoadhouses had eaten there over Cheese Days weekend 2 weeks earlier and gave it high marks.

Care for some pickled vegetables?  Clockwise from the upper left we have beets, cranberries (I think), cauliflower, beans, carrots/root vegetables, and either cucumbers or okra.  If you look closely at the last one you can see the spruce buds that were used in the pickle, and yes, they are edible.

Cheese curds with Martian blood.  Or maybe it was a smooth salsa verde.

My house burger with added bacon and mushrooms but minus the fried onions.

Juicy!

I can't remember the others' reactions but my burger was extremely enjoyable.  Obviously juicy, it also had excellent flavor from the beef, cheese, bacon and mushrooms.  And the homemade chips were no slouch, either, although IIRC Cow & Quince might source them elsewhere because they might not have a fryer.
post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2018/11/03 20:02:43

1 Reply Related Threads

BuddyRoadhouse
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6627
    Re: Cow & Quince (New Glarus, WI) 2018/11/03 21:50:04 (permalink)

ScreamingChicken
    Awhile back the TV show Discover Wisconsin had a segment about 8 must-try burgers, and 1 of the locations was Cow & Quince in New Glarus.  I don't think C & Q qualifies very well as Roadfood but it does qualify as Goodfood, and about a month ago I met JRPfeff and Pie Diva there for Sunday lunch. 

I think Cow & Quince absolutely qualifies as Roadfood.  It's quirky, homey, welcoming, and full of character.  Okay, it's a bit more focused on trendy "farm to table" and so-called natural foods, but they've still got a solid menu of well prepared Burgers, Biscuits & Gravy, and House Smoked Ham among many other comfort food choices.

ScreamingChicken
    The BuddyRoadhouses had eaten there over Cheese Days weekend 2 weeks earlier and gave it high marks.

Specifically:
    After a short drive up the road we stopped for a highly recommended Burger at Cow & Quince in New Glarus, WI.  JRPfeff sent around this video to some of us, highlighting "8 Unique Wisconsin Cheeseburgers".  We were there on a "Burger Wars" Saturday when they feature four different Burger creations to compare and contrast.  Mrs. Roadhouse and I split an outstanding Burger featuring Balsamic Grilled Onions, a gorgeous slice of Heirloom Tomato, all smothered by a melted slab of Sartori's Montamoré Cheddar.  You could really taste the distinct, slightly gamy flavor; like high quality venison, of the grass fed, locally sourced beef.

I deferred to Mrs. Roadhouse's choice of a side salad instead of fries and didn't regret it.  It featured a beautiful mix of greens, topped with colorful garden veggies with a splash of light vinaigrette.  We also split a nice bowl of Corn Chowder.  I couldn't resist a scoop of the housemade Coffee Ice Cream for dessert.

Cow & Quince deserves their own thread, especially since Swiss themed New Glarus is a Wisconsin tourist destination and travelers might be looking for a locally sourced alternative to the usual Rösti and Raclette.  Thanks for laying the foundation ChickenMan.

Buddy

post edited by BuddyRoadhouse - 2018/11/03 21:51:23
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5