Creator of light beer meets his maker

Author
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
2005/12/22 22:14:08 (permalink)

Creator of light beer meets his maker

Biochemist Joseph Owades, discoverer of the enzyme that made light beer possible, has died at the age of 86. Mr Owades worked for Rheingold brewery which was bought out by Miller and then produced Miller Lite.He became a brewery consultant later in life and woked for Busch, Carling, and Boston brewing, the latter of which brews Sam Adams.
Funeral arrangements have not been announced but it is understood that mourners will be asked to sit on either the less filling or tastes great side of the funeral site.

9 Replies Related Threads

Poverty Pete
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2352
    RE: Creator of light beer meets his maker 2005/12/22 23:13:32 (permalink)
    I knew Joe. The enzyme of which you speak is amyloglucosidase. There are very few brewers around who know how to properly utilise this marvelous thing he came up with. He was a brilliant man.
    Scallion1
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 418
    RE: Creator of light beer meets his maker 2005/12/22 23:31:39 (permalink)
    And, for what it's worth, the Number One Best Selling Beer in the whole world is now....

Bud Light.

R.I.P. Mr. Owades. You won bigtime.
    BillC
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 119
    RE: Creator of light beer meets his maker 2005/12/22 23:54:03 (permalink)
    mr chips / poverty pete - This is interesting to me. In previous posts, I've mentioned that my grandfather worked for Buckeye Brewing (a small regional brewery in Toledo,OH) from the early 1900's until his retirement in 1955. He went from the accounting dept.to brewmaster to President of the company. Several years after he died, Miller acquired Buckeye in the mid to late '60's. One of the family stories I've heard is that Miller acquired Buckeye because they had the "recipe" for light beer. Well, G'dad hated light beer from a brewmaster's point of view, but would have loved it from an economic point of view. He was long gone when Miller purchased the company and none of my relatives got involved in the business. So, I'm not sure where the story came from. Maybe an an old associate, umm, exaggerating. If either of you have any thoughts, it would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Poverty Pete
    RE: Creator of light beer meets his maker 2005/12/23 06:57:45 (permalink)
    I would think you have an urban legend there. Nobody would buy a brewery to obtain a recipe, and once the enzyme in question is understood, the rest is easy. I like that enzyme. I just don't like what the major brewers have done with it.
    QFan
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 647
    RE: Creator of light beer meets his maker 2005/12/23 09:22:28 (permalink)
    The rest of the story (that isn''t in the posts above) is that the Buckeye Brewing Company was bought by the Peter Hand Brg Co of Chicago (brewers of then very popular Meister Brau beer). Peter Hand was the one who actually trademarked the name Lite beer and began marketing it as a supplement to its line of beers in the Illinois-Wisconsin area. However, like many other small breweries it had financial problems and couldn''t compete w/ the big boys, and it too got bought out around 1970 by Miller Brewing Co. Miller bought Peter Hand, repackaged the Lite beer recipe, came up w/ the famous "Tastes Great/Less Filling" ad campaign, took it national and the rest is history!

QFan
    Bonita Springs, FL
    Poverty Pete
    RE: Creator of light beer meets his maker 2005/12/23 09:35:16 (permalink)
    There it is, QFan. As I said, nobody would buy a recipe, but buying a brand name? Happens all the time. It's all about marketing. Anybody see the latest cow ad from the California Dairy Council? They just keep getting better and better... This one has cows on one side of a fence, bulls on the other side. The cow is teasing a bull. You think I'm pretty, don't you? Ahhh, do you want to MARRY a cow??!
    BillC
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 119
    RE: Creator of light beer meets his maker 2005/12/23 16:30:14 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by QFan

The rest of the story (that isn''t in the posts above) is that the Buckeye Brewing Company was bought by the Peter Hand Brg Co of Chicago (brewers of then very popular Meister Brau beer). Peter Hand was the one who actually trademarked the name Lite beer and began marketing it as a supplement to its line of beers in the Illinois-Wisconsin area. However, like many other small breweries it had financial problems and couldn''t compete w/ the big boys, and it too got bought out around 1970 by Miller Brewing Co. Miller bought Peter Hand, repackaged the Lite beer recipe, came up w/ the famous "Tastes Great/Less Filling" ad campaign, took it national and the rest is history!

QFan
    Bonita Springs, FL
    Qfan - Thanks for setting the record straight. I've always accepted the family oral history of what happened, but I did a little research(what a novel idea) after reading your post and it's clear that you are correct. I'll bet that since Peter Hand kept the brand alive, the folks saw that as a continuation of Buckeye beer. They probably remembered the Miller purchase better, because Miller eventually discontinued the brand. Somehow, who knows how, the light beer myth got mixed in to their version of things. Geez, I thoought I learned not to believe everything parents said years ago.
    MacTAC
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 437
    RE: Creator of light beer meets his maker 2005/12/23 19:03:24 (permalink)
    from his obituary... "When the long-defunct Rheingold name was revived in the late 1990s, Dr. Owades was hired to re-create his old recipe."

Rheingold was the first beer I ever tasted, as it was my father's favorite. I did really like the taste. When it became available again it looked strange to me, as I remembered it being in an amber bottle (as well as cans), not clear. I believe at the time (the fifties), most beers were in amber, Miller using their clear bottle as a distinction in their advertising back then. I think the glass color was a storage/quality issue. I'm going to pick up some Rheingold and have a drink to Dr. Owades and my father over the holidays. In a pilsner glass, like my father used, and I'll forget all about the color of the bottle.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all...
    Poverty Pete
    RE: Creator of light beer meets his maker 2005/12/23 21:09:06 (permalink)
    MacTAC, you are correct. Clear glass (and green) is strictly a marketing ploy. No brewer would ever voluntarily put his product into clear or green glass. UV rays that cannot penetrate brown glass, will go through clear glass, interacting with hop components, giving the beer that classic Mexican aroma of skunk.
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5