Crook's Corner

Author
zussers
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 232
2005/01/15 21:17:58 (permalink)

Crook's Corner

I just got done reading a book about the late chef Bill Neal and was wondering if any one had visted his restaurant Crook's Corner in Chapel Hill, N.C.? (either when he ran it or now that the chef is Bill Smith) It sounds like a great place with a lot of history. In the late '40s it was a fish market owned by Mrs. Crook. She was murdered in the doorway of the market in 1951. The case was never solved. After that it was a taxi stand, a pool hall, and in the 80's it was bought and turned into a BBQ place. Bill Neal, a southerner who was known for his french cuisine bought the place and turned it into Crook's Corner. He got back to his southern roots and was well known for putting shrimp and grits on the map! Current items on the menu include grilled hanger steak, shrimp and grits, chicken pot pie, catfish amandine and corned ham with mash potatoes and collards. Yum! The locals of the BBQ place held a sit-in when Bill Neal took over, but they eventually gave in and hung out at Crook's Bar!

5 Replies Related Threads

DLnWPBrown
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 832
    RE: Crook's Corner 2005/01/15 21:34:17 (permalink)
    I live in the Triangle and this is the link to what local reviewer Greg Cox had to say about Crook's Corner:
    http://www.triangle.com/dining/restaurantreview/story/1040399p-7081255c.html

Here is their website as well: www.crookscorner.com

Dennis in Cary
    jellybear
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1135
    RE: Crook's Corner 2005/01/16 09:44:18 (permalink)
    I have ate at the Chapel Hill place and the one that was open in Wilmington for some years and I would say it was just so so.There are a lot better places in Town that do it better.
    brentk
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 269
    RE: Crook's Corner 2005/01/16 10:41:38 (permalink)
    I have read a number of postings at various message boards about the decline of Crooks since Bill Neal's passing. The overwhelming majority of these decry the mediocrity and complacency of the restaurant. Bill Smith has a hard act to follow but I am surprised, given his background, that he hasn't made more of the opportunity. I haven't been to Crooks for years but nothing I have read really makes me want to run out and give it a try.

I see the same types of rants about Mama Dip's but the problem there appears to be derived from fame, not misfortune. I do refer to her cookbook frequently, however.

zussers
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 232
    RE: Crook's Corner 2005/01/16 12:00:10 (permalink)
    Hmmm, It seems the restaurant critic liked it, but not the "regular people." I will probably still give it a try if I am in the area, but won't expext too much. Thanks for the info!
    prius
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 109
    RE: Crook's Corner 2005/01/16 13:27:57 (permalink)
    Crooks Corner is still good. The sad passing of Bill Neal a few years back took a culinary historian and skilled cook from us. He was so young.
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5