Ct. & Ma. In-Town "Roadfood"

Author
John from Pa.
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 34
2004/10/01 21:11:37 (permalink)

Ct. & Ma. In-Town "Roadfood"

Heading to New England later this month & looking for a few specific tips for dining right in the towns we are visiting:
1) A good Roadfood type basic breakfast in the Rocky Hill, Wethersfield, or Glastonbury suburbs of Hartford
2) A good place for dinner in New Milford, Ct.
3) A good place for a seafood lunch right in Salem, Ma.
4) Any good places to eat in or take out basic seafood dinners in Gloucester, Ma.
These are stops where we don't want to drive a distance to the recommended Roadfood places but eat right in town while playing tourist...thanks for any advise for a Roadfooder since 1978!

14 Replies Related Threads

MikoEats
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 57
    RE: Ct. & Ma. In-Town "Roadfood" 2004/10/06 21:29:52 (permalink)
    Somebody help me...in Gloucester, there is a very basic restuarant that serves inCREDible spicy fish chowder -- tomato based, with a delicious broth, and big chunks of fresh fish. It's known all over town and locals love it. It's somewhere near the Maritime Heritage center, on the main drag...I could lead you to it, but I can't remember the darn name.

Anyway -- they have lots of seafood (and burgers), but that chowder was worth a trip in itself.
    flattop5
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 118
    RE: Ct. & Ma. In-Town "Roadfood" 2004/10/06 21:40:53 (permalink)
    In New Milford, check to see if the Cookhouse has reopened (860-355-4111). They had a fire back in the summer, but were expecting to be up and running again by late September. Very good BBQ, reviewed by M. Stern in the Logbook. They are at 31 Danbury Road (Route 7) just south of the bridge.
    jevmass
    Junior Burger
    RE: Ct. & Ma. In-Town "Roadfood" 2004/10/07 02:23:52 (permalink)
    In Salem, MA try Finz Seafood Resaurant on Pickering Wharf or Dube's Seafood.
    greasewheel
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 52
    RE: Ct. & Ma. In-Town "Roadfood" 2004/10/07 08:17:49 (permalink)
    John, the Cookhouse is still closed but may re-open depending on what time of the month you are coming. If it's open I recommend it as well. If it's not there is a decent pizza place up in northern New Milford. It's called the Upper Crust at 373 Litchfield Road (Rt 202). I know you don't want to travel far from where you will be staying but if you care to venture out another 10-15 minutes I can tell you of many extremely good restaurants in the New Preston/Bantam/Litchfield area.
    John from Pa.
    Junior Burger
    RE: Ct. & Ma. In-Town "Roadfood" 2004/10/09 22:10:24 (permalink)
    Thanks for the suggestions - we always trust the opinions of the Roadfood followers. Please tell more about those nearby restaurants to New Milford - might get us to venture a little farther to try them!

A couple other questions - I've read reviews that the once-popular Gloucester House in Gloucester, Ma. is'nt too good anymore - haven't been there for 10 years - any opinions? Also, has anyone been to Victoria Station in Salem - the menu on their website looked good, but wanted opinions. Also, has anyone eaten at the tavern inside Old Sturbridge Village? We have eaten at the Publick House years ago, pricy but was good then. Thanks for the input!
    KokomoJoe
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 265
    RE: Ct. & Ma. In-Town "Roadfood" 2004/10/10 10:01:26 (permalink)
    AnnieOakley.....HELP is on its way!!!!!!!!! In Gloucester MA I believe the restaurant you're trying to remember is "Boulevard Ocean View"!!!!!!! I had a hard time remembering its name too! Great place for authentic homemade Portuguese food! It's listed on the restaurant reviews here. Go to that area of roADFOOD.COM AND YOU'LL SEE IT! Great ratings BTW! Hubby and I always go there when in the Gloucester area. Haven't been in a few years but I'll bet it's just as good! Family owned and run. Seafood is fantastic as well as the portions and prices! Sort of a hole in the wall. Not much on atmosphere which makes it even better in my book! But it is waterfront!Happy eating! KokomoJoe
    dhdav66
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 19
    RE: Ct. & Ma. In-Town "Roadfood" 2004/10/12 12:56:57 (permalink)
    John,

My favorite breakfast place in Rocky Hill is Town Line Diner. It's just off 91 on Silas Deane.

David
    greasewheel
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 52
    RE: Ct. & Ma. In-Town "Roadfood" 2004/10/12 14:23:29 (permalink)
    I'm not sure if your dinner in New Milford was strictly for Roadfood or not so I'll give you a few more ideas. Up in Bantam there is Woods Pit BBQ which is fairly good. You just follow RT 202 north to Bantam and when you get to town you make a right on Bantam Lake Road (RT 209) and it's just down on your left. I'ts @ 20 minutes from New Milford Green. If your looking for something upscale I would highly recommend any of the restaurants on Lake Waramaug in New Preston. The Hopkins Inn, and The Birches are both very good and at this time of year have incredibly beautiful scenery with the Fall foliage. Both are again off RT 202. You just make a left on RT 45 in New Preston and follow it around the Lake. Enjoy the scenery no matter where you end up.
    flattop5
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 118
    RE: Ct. & Ma. In-Town "Roadfood" 2004/10/20 13:29:44 (permalink)
    Don't know if you've made the trip yet, but The Cookhouse is set to re-open the week of October 25th[url='http://news.newstimes.com/story.php?id=65888&category=Local']Article from Danbury News-Times 10/20/04[/url]
    txtwister
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 260
    RE: Ct. & Ma. In-Town "Roadfood" 2004/10/22 16:12:45 (permalink)
    Joey's in New Milford used to be great, but it's been years since I've been back. Oh, and ditto for the Marathon rest. has great Greek Style pizza, but the standout was always their softshell crabs if they have them. Perfectly lightly fried and wonderful.
    cristina
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Ct. & Ma. In-Town "Roadfood" 2004/10/24 15:14:29 (permalink)
    In Gloucester I reccomend the Causeway Restaurant on Essex Avenue. It's right next to the Gloucester Cinema. It's family run, has a homey atmosphere and serves really good seafood, pasta, prime rib, etc. We just got take out fish and clam chowder from there yesterday and it was delicious. Oh, it's very affordable and the portions are huge.
    rpalmer1
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 55
    RE: Ct. & Ma. In-Town "Roadfood" 2004/10/24 19:39:14 (permalink)
    John, The Town line diner should be ok for breakfast. You may have to keep on the server. I had a bad experience at dinner. The wings were brought after desert. I perfer Mitchell's in Rocky Hill for breakfast. No frills and they got grits. The place in Glouster with the spicy fish chowder is probably Halibut Point. It closed up a while back. Check out phantomgourmet.com for other options.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3616
    RE: Ct. & Ma. In-Town "Roadfood" 2004/10/24 20:55:57 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by greasewheel

I'm not sure if your dinner in New Milford was strictly for Roadfood or not so I'll give you a few more ideas. Up in Bantam there is Woods Pit BBQ which is fairly good. You just follow RT 202 north to Bantam and when you get to town you make a right on Bantam Lake Road (RT 209) and it's just down on your left. I'ts @ 20 minutes from New Milford Green. If your looking for something upscale I would highly recommend any of the restaurants on Lake Waramaug in New Preston. The Hopkins Inn, and The Birches are both very good and at this time of year have incredibly beautiful scenery with the Fall foliage. Both are again off RT 202. You just make a left on RT 45 in New Preston and follow it around the Lake. Enjoy the scenery no matter where you end up.

greasewheel,
    You left out the amazing Shiek's Sandwich Shop in Torrington, only something like 12 miles from Bantam. My friend D. J. Hack took me there, asnd I was flabbergasted! I only wish that I could amble up there and eat the special every day for an entire week, just to see how good everything is. What a place!
    A Bit Hungrily, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia.
    Large Man
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 95
    RE: Ct. & Ma. In-Town "Roadfood" 2017/07/02 13:25:37 (permalink)
    Reviving an old string after my visit to The Causeway in Gloucester this week.  Great two lobster dinner with slaw and asparagus.  Freshly cooked and fabulous! The lace was full of locals and tourists.  The Italian food looked great but I was there for seafood.  Wife had the lobster pie and enjoyed it. Nice wait staff too.  Couldn't get photo to load!
    post edited by Large Man - 2017/07/04 01:03:25
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5