Danny's Hamburgers outside of Philadelphia

Author
phlmaestro
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1069
2019/06/14 13:33:57 (permalink)

Danny's Hamburgers outside of Philadelphia

I've written about Charlie's Hamburgers and their new location on here recently.  While searching for other places to find good burgers in my area, I came across a place that is only about 10 minutes from my home by car and which has been there since 1944. I didn't know about it because I never had any reason to drive down the block that it sits on. It's a couple miles north of Charlie's and as the thread title indicates, it's called Danny's Hamburgers. Danny's is close to the Philadelphia border near the airport. Kathy, the woman who runs the place, told me that they sometimes get people who come straight from the airport to have a burger or breakfast, their other big seller. 

Danny's looks its age, and I mean that in the best sense. It has a counter with a handful of stools and a couple tables. 

You can see their old sign leaning against the back wall. Here is the newer one:

They have a classic Hamilton-Beach green three-spindle shake maker.

I think the steam from the grill made a couple of my interior shots look fuzzy.

I has ordered a double cheeseburger, which doesn't show up on the menu on the right for some reason. I could see it when I was there. In any case, when I saw that the burgers on the grill were about a quarter-pound or close to it and not super thin, I switched my order to two single cheeseburgers. Kathy did press the burgers down flatter than they are shown in the below photo.

That's a split sausage next to the burger buns. 

My black & white shake was neither very thick nor thin and had nice flavor.

Fresh off the grill:

Before I added ketchup:

I think I made the right call with two single burgers instead of a double. The burgers were very juicy and had nice flavor.
I didn't notice if they had fries, but I doubt it. You can order home fries made with fresh potatoes that Kathy peels and chops (she showed me one). I'll be back.

Danny's Hamburgers
1540 Chester Pike (Rt. 13), Folcroft, PA

Danny's is open for breakfast and lunch every day but Monday.
post edited by phlmaestro - 2019/06/14 13:42:40

5 Replies Related Threads

ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 9231
    Re: Danny's Hamburgers outside of Philadelphia 2019/06/14 16:46:50 (permalink)
    That "newer" sign looks pretty vintage itself!  Judging by the thickness I think you made the right call with singles; 2 of those burgers on 1 bun would've been a lot of meat.

After seeing all those onions I'm glad I wasn't riding in the car with you.
    02sbxstr
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 22
    Re: Danny's Hamburgers outside of Philadelphia 2019/06/14 17:29:43 (permalink)
    I would have asked for more onions. At one of our primary roadfood venues in central Conn, Harry's of Colchester, when one orders onions, they get a slice about 1/4" thick. You can't necessarily add more, but you can certainly take some off (and give it to me). I am always partial to restaurants that serve full slices.
    phlmaestro
    Re: Danny's Hamburgers outside of Philadelphia 2019/06/14 21:17:56 (permalink)
    I think I have a slight preference for chopped onions on a burger, but if I have a slice, I would not want it to be too think. I think a 1/4" inch would be more than I'd want. 
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6627
    Re: Danny's Hamburgers outside of Philadelphia 2019/06/15 04:14:16 (permalink)
    Man oh man, does this look like my kinda place.  An unassuming shack, across the street from an auto mechanic, in a light industrial area...Burgers and Pancakes cooked together on a well seasoned griddle...Just add a side of Home Fries and I'm in heaven.

Maybe someday, if the annual Crawl gets voted into Philly, we'll pay Danny's a visit.  Can they handle two dozen hungry Roadfooders swarming the place all at once?

Buddy
    phlmaestro
    Re: Danny's Hamburgers outside of Philadelphia 2019/06/15 12:00:39 (permalink)
    BuddyRoadhouse

Maybe someday, if the annual Crawl gets voted into Philly, we'll pay Danny's a visit.  Can they handle two dozen hungry Roadfooders swarming the place all at once?

Buddy

That would be a trip to see. Kathy does everything herself. 
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5