Day Trippin' Around Ohio

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 7
Author
lleechef
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Day Trippin' Around Ohio 2014/11/05 10:14:43 (permalink)
The next day the rain had moved out and we again had beautiful weather.  Time for another day trip.......this time to Holmes County.  We knew we were in Amish country when we started seeing these road signs.

On the way to Millersburg we saw a sign that pointed to the right and said, "Ohio's Longest Covered Bridge".  So we checked it out.  Yep.  It was loooooong!

There wasn't much to see in Millersburg.  The sign on this coffee shop reminded us of wanderingjew.

The only thing of interest in the downtown area was this old hotel from 1847.

We moved on and went to Berlin.  The beautiful scenery:

And everyone's unending fascination with the horse-drawn buggies.  This was taken in the town of Berlin.

The oldest building in Berlin.

Berlin is very touristy, with hobby shops, craft stores, "antiques" malls, and lots of "Amish restaurants" in the area.  Rather than drive around looking at menus, we picked one in town and hoped for the best.

Michael chose the meatloaf which he said was "tough" and "ketchupy".......the potatoes were out of a box and the gravy out of a can.

I fared a little better with ham and bean soup (not bad, I've had better) and cornbread which was really good.

They served hot whole wheat bread that I liked but MH was not crazy about.

They had a huge selection of pies so we were keeping our fingers crossed.

Michael had the butterscotch, he really liked it, I had a taste and even though it's not my favorite, I, too thought it was very good.  I was full from my soup so I got a piece of elderberry to go which I ate that evening at home and it was excellent!

After lunch we left Berlin and took a little country road in hopes we would see a side of this area that was not so touristy.
We saw several beautiful Amish farms, a woman in a buggy with two babies and a small school.

Before heading home we visited the Guggisberg cheese factory.  It was too late for a tour so we bought a 6-year-old piece of Swiss and a piece of Traditional Emmenthal and took some pictures.

rumaki
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1504
Re: Day Trippin' Around Ohio 2014/11/05 10:46:22 (permalink)
Yum, again!  I'd have tried the red raspberry cream, though I do like a good butterscotch pie! Best I ever had was at a now-shuttered place in Austin, Minnesota called Jerry's Other Place, which also had terrific broasted chicken. 
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 23298
Re: Day Trippin' Around Ohio 2014/11/05 11:02:08 (permalink)
You ought to see the handmade knife I found at one of the shops in Berlin. Great steel and an American Tanto blade design, all with a beautiful leather sheath. I'm sure I can find some use for it, someday. And I know it's going to cost me another Coach something.
ann peeples
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10403
Re: Day Trippin' Around Ohio 2014/11/05 13:00:56 (permalink)
I, personally, had a picture , in my head of Michael next to the "OLD MAN CAVE".....
post edited by ann peeples - 2014/11/05 16:59:51
love2bake
  • Total Posts : 1549
Re: Day Trippin' Around Ohio 2014/11/05 14:41:08 (permalink)
I would've gotten 5 or 6 slices of pie to go.   Butterscotch and elderberry would definitely be among them.  The pie crust looks plenty flaky on the elderberry, too.

Such gorgeous countryside.  I've been to Amish country in Iowa and Indiana, but not (knowingly, anyway) in Ohio.  
mar52
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 12264
Re: Day Trippin' Around Ohio 2014/11/05 15:00:04 (permalink)
Those horses are speeding!  I would also find them fascinating.  Wondering if those buggies/carriages are new models or very old models kept up.  Do the Amish go out in September and kick wheels?  My mind is racing with questions!  Do they only use dark horses?  Are there special rules of the road when a buggy is present?

Gorgeous pictures!

I would have ordered the Elderberry.  It used to be my favorite Smucker's Jam.  The seeds would have driven me crazy.

Ground cherry?  Never heard of that one.  Guess it changes the odds on breaking a tooth.

Hope you do this often!
lleechef
Porterhouse
Re: Day Trippin' Around Ohio 2014/11/05 16:54:28 (permalink)
mar
For the most part, the buggies seemed to be old ones that were well kept.  I went to college in Amish country in PA and all the horses were black and with the exception of one brown and white horse, they were all black in Holmes County.  One thing that did surprise me was that these Amish seemed to be very friendly.  A young woman in a buggy waved to me as I was waiting to cross the street in Berlin and as we were driving, a buggy being driven by a gentleman, coming in the opposite direction, tipped his hat to us.  They also seemed unbothered by folks taking pictures of them.  Where I went to school the Amish were very unfriendly, pretty much stayed to themselves and apparently it was some kind of sin to have your picture taken because they would run at the sight of a camera.  I guess these folks are used to tourists.  About rules of the road, they stay as far to the right as they can so cars can pass but they do move along at a pretty good clip.  Hope that answers some of your Amish questions.

About the ground cherry, I had to come home and look it up.  It is in the same family as the Cape gooseberry (NOT regular gooseberries) and has a papery covering like a tomatillo.  I should have gotten a piece to take home and try.  Next time. 
rumaki
Re: Day Trippin' Around Ohio 2014/11/05 16:57:11 (permalink)
Our farmers markets in Minneapolis sell fresh ground cherries in season. They are very popular.  And I've seen candied ground cherries, with the "stem" still on, served with coffee after dinner in the United Kingdom.
lleechef
Porterhouse
Re: Day Trippin' Around Ohio 2014/11/05 17:19:09 (permalink)
rumaki
Are they sweet or sour?
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15787
Re: Day Trippin' Around Ohio 2014/11/05 17:37:18 (permalink)
MH and Lisa,
   Do you take requests? How about  a few photos of places fairly close to you that we missed capturing when we visited them in the past.
The Sunbury Grill outside, inside, and menu board
The ice cream menu board at one of the United Farm Stores (we visit the one in Sunbury each trip)
The Place on Rt 13,,, Old Mill near Newark..can't recall the actual name, but Michael knows it. Great ice cream.
Plus, If you're ever in Centerburg, you're welcome to visit our future "Homesite" ()!
Anyway, If you are out wandering..check them out for us , please.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 23298
Re: Day Trippin' Around Ohio 2014/11/05 17:50:05 (permalink)
Mr. Mayor,
That's United Dairy Farmers. We have one right around the corner from us. I haven't been to the Sunbury Grill in a long time, but I think it might be about time to go back. The place on Ohio 13 is the Velvet Ice Cream factory with the mill wheel. Lisa has posted pictures of the place before, including the mill wheel.
lleechef
Porterhouse
Re: Day Trippin' Around Ohio 2014/11/05 18:09:12 (permalink)
Sure I take requests, especially from you!  I have pictures of Velvet.  We went there 2 weeks ago for our last ice cream cone until May 1, they closed for the season on Oct. 31.    I will walk over to UDF tomorrow and get a photo of the ice cream menu.  And we often go through Sunbury.....we'll stop for lunch and I'll take some pics for you. 

We like Graeter's very much but I think we like Velvet more!! 
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4247
Re: Day Trippin' Around Ohio 2014/11/05 18:27:11 (permalink)
I very much agree.  I think that Velvet ice cream is wonderful!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13946
Re: Day Trippin' Around Ohio 2014/11/05 18:31:03 (permalink)
I have been through Berlin several times although I did not stop.  I was traveling from Akron/Canton to Knoxville and I took a short cut down the route that took me through Berlin.  I past several places that featured Amish shops.  I wish I had stopped but due to business, I had to travel on.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
mar52
Porterhouse
Re: Day Trippin' Around Ohio 2014/11/05 19:11:06 (permalink)
Oh my, never would I have guessed that Ground Cherry was the name of the actual fruit.  Why is this underlining?

mar52
Porterhouse
Re: Day Trippin' Around Ohio 2014/11/05 19:13:33 (permalink)
Couldn't fix the underline and couldn't stand it!

I thought the ground meant ground like an adjective.  My entire theory is shot!

Thank you, Lisa for the answers on the Amish.  I had no idea!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Day Trippin' Around Ohio 2014/11/06 00:27:19 (permalink)
Michael and Lisa,  May I add a few photos to yours from Ohio Amish Country, from our visit a couple of years back...
They do build "Sedans" made for hauling the whole family and the touris [ublications for the area are full of warnings about the Horse-drawn wagon traffic on narrow roads..and there are caution signs on those roads that see heavy cart traffic as well. We saw many wagons with turn signals installed to help other traffic know the plans the wagon driver had in mind.  Here is a larger wagon in a busy shopping area.

Others, Perhaps a less severe sect use other forms of transportation, still not motor vehicles...

We enjoyed watching the little children play while the older ones and the Parents were operating their vending standids along the roads or in their 'yards'.

Black Horses were not evident in the fields. I think work-ability counted more than appearance in these jobs !

We were surprised at how young the field hand stacking Hay appeared to be, and working alone with his team and wagon.
Thanks for letting me add these.. If I can find a better close up of a wagon I will add it here.   al

Here is a cart making a left turn and using a turn signal...

post edited by mayor al - 2014/11/06 00:42:30
lleechef
Porterhouse
Re: Day Trippin' Around Ohio 2014/11/06 01:05:35 (permalink)
Al
We never saw a "sedan".  Looks like an Amish limo!  But we did see a lot of folks on bicycles.  We also didn't see any turn "signals"........just an arm out of the buggy signaling left.  Unfortunately we were there when the fields were already turned for the winter so we did not see any working horses.  The picture I love is the one of the young boy stacking hay onto the wagon with the two patient horses!  Thank you so much for posting your pictures!!!  I have always loved the peace, tranquility and beauty of Amish communities. 
easydoesit
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 664
Re: Day Trippin' Around Ohio 2014/11/06 07:44:35 (permalink)
Lovely report, and don't want to be a downer, but we have a lot of Amish in our beautiful area, too.  Unfortunately, the buggies and automobiles don't always get along very well.  This is just a sample, the links alone pretty much tell the story:

http://lacrossetribune.com/news/the-rundown-two-car-crash-buggy-car-accident/article_d27e9d8e-4c38-5ac9-b9e8-c0891700f4f5.html

http://lacrossetribune.com/news/state-and-regional/wi/baby-dies-in-horse-drawn-buggy-crash/article_222e9ca2-cf6a-50a0-8d58-ce2ec578ca46.html

http://lacrossetribune.com/tomahjournal/news/local/buggy-accidents-injures-two-kills-horse/article_b322e9ea-b84d-52c3-85ae-c759b356d2ef.html

http://lacrossetribune.com/jacksoncochronicle/news/latest/woman-pleads-guilty-to-drunken-hit-and-run-of-amish/article_733d4ff0-6b8f-11e0-9c43-001cc4c03286.html

http://lacrossetribune.com/westbytimes/news/local/logging-truck-amish-buggy-crash-sends-two-to-hospital/article_9e168d76-0e11-11e0-a6f7-001cc4c002e0.html

http://lacrossetribune.com/news/local/man-crashes-into-amish-buggy-including-kids-severely-injured/article_58ba5731-907f-555e-9e8a-c0b43980d633.html

http://lacrossetribune.com/westbytimes/news/local/car-versus-buggy-accident-injures-two/article_207ec91a-64cf-56de-b475-287c409efaf2.html

http://lacrossetribune.com/newsupdate/horse-spooks-buggy-crashes-into-motorcycle/article_a937c411-2c84-5246-95f8-9fddbf0d571e.html

There's more, but that's plenty.  That really is a beautiful picture of the boy tossing hay, but farm accidents are common around here, and the Amish are no exception:

http://lacrossetribune.com/news/local/amish-teen-dies-after-hay-cutting-accident/article_73468730-f22d-11e0-969c-001cc4c03286.html

http://lacrossetribune.com/news/state-and-regional/mn/amish-woman-dies-in-fall-from-horse-drawn-farm-implement/article_544bbb63-fba1-5738-8a8c-8dc28dd734f8.html

On a different note, in general the people around here really like and support the Amish, but not quite everything.  It's not only the road signs that tell us we're in Amish country -- it's also the poop strung out on the roads:

http://lacrossetribune.com/jacksoncochronicle/news/latest/horse-dung-ordinance-shoveled-forward/article_b4af691a-9cfd-11e0-95ce-001cc4c002e0.html

http://lacrossetribune.com/vernonbroadcaster/news/opinion/asking-amish-to-pick-up-manure-is-a-violation-of/article_69675eb8-2ddd-5a9d-bc8a-16f5fa424433.html

There's no "real" Amish restaurants in our area, but they still do provide a lot of food to the public, mainly through farmer's markets, roadside stands, and many will have "pie day" or similar, where you go to the farmhouse itself and buy the product.

Pies are big, and other pastries, also home-canned goods, pickles, pickled vegetables, etc.

Besides the buggies, we've seen the younger Amish doing long distances on those country roads wearing inline skates.  Faster than walking.

I'm really enjoying this report.

mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Day Trippin' Around Ohio 2014/11/06 10:10:58 (permalink)
Easy-does-it
  Yes there are communities of Amish and Amish-related culuture groups planted in many areas in the MidWest. We passed through one as we followed the Transcon rail line SW from Ft Madison Iowa to La Plata Missouri a few years back.  Among the unique things we observed was a horse-powered ice-cream churn cranking out delicious cream treats at a roadside foodstand on a Saturday morning.. The Horse was walking on a treadmill that was linked to the churn, being watched by two small children, while the Mother supervised the churning operation.
Not far from us here in Southern Indiana are more of those folks...in the French Lick area.
It is unfortunate that people don't heed the warning signs and many accidents do happen as a result of cars and trucks hitting the slow moving horsedrawn carts.

MH- Take us to the USAF Museum too !
rumaki
Re: Day Trippin' Around Ohio 2014/11/06 10:55:25 (permalink)
Ground cherries, lleechef, are tart in their natural state. Not exactly "sour." It's an unusual flavor -- I've heard them described as being like blueberries, cantaloupe, pineapple, cherry tomatoes.  Not sure I'd endorse that.  It's unique.

Technically, I guess, for the candied variety, what I referred to as the "stem" is really the husks pulled back and up, to form a sort of a stem or handle.  As you know, in the natural state, they are surrounded by a papery husk that makes them look like tiny Asian lanterns.
lleechef
Porterhouse
Re: Day Trippin' Around Ohio 2014/11/06 12:11:19 (permalink)
easydoesit
From what we saw, the drivers were really respectful of the Amish in their buggies and passed them slowly, as we did.  Of course I'm sure there are accidents too.  I didn't see any poop on the roads, they are probably equipped with the slings referred to in the article.  I guess the biggest Amish scandal in recent times here was when a bunch of them near Bergholz, OH went around cutting beards off some men.  The leader of these incidents was sentenced to 15 years in prison!  Now, that's a HUGE change from Amish life!
Al
Funny you should mention the USAF museum in Dayton......Michael said the exact thing the other day!  We'll work it in next week on a sunny day.  It's pouring again today!
rumaki
Thanks for the info on the ground cherries.  I had a feeling they would be tart.  Makes me want to go back and check out that pie!

CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7503
Re: Day Trippin' Around Ohio 2014/11/06 19:07:32 (permalink)
Mar - Also one thing to consider about the Amish/Mennonite/Brethern communities is "vanity".

Clothes are kept simple, with NO shiny buttons or snaps or bedazzled in any way.  Colors are muted, blues, blacks and greys. 
Men's heads are usually always covered while out of doors, and women's too are covered.
Men are permitted facial hair only after marriage, and a long beard is a sign of a long marriage.

The buggies can be modern built, but are built to the old standard.  No chrome, nothing too fancy.
Bicycles are an approved mode of transportation, as they are not engine powered.

Work horses are usually only brown and black, a white horse could be considered "too fancy", buggy horses usually black.

Pay phone are still used throughout the community, and are usually community owned and not privately owned.  Some sects allow cell phone use, older more traditional groups can and will shun you for there use.

Older congregations usually are seperated, men on one side women on the other for worship services.  Amish are technically anabaptists, and have also been named "Dunkards" or "Tunkards" which refers to the belief in baptism by immersion, not sprinkled or doused as other religions do.  They also believe in forward facing baptism (not laying back in the water on your back, but Bowing before God into the water)

The Holmes county OH sect has come under fire lately because of the Discovery Network's show "Amish Mafia".  Many of the Elders felt that the show portrayed the Amish in a negative light and revealed the darker sides of the Amish culture.

The folks around Holmes Co., are used to the tourist trade and are a little more outgoing, than some of the smaller, sects.  There are still many of them who will NOT allow their picture to be taken.  Basically two reasons;  The second commandment (Thou shall have no other graven image...) and the other reason goes back to "vanity", most are humble and feel person to person photograph of adults to vain.  So most baptized adults do not get their picture taken, children are sometimes ok, when in doubt ask first.  I don't have photos of many of my relatives for this exact reason.

Ok enough about Amish life back to Henry's and PIE
mar52
Porterhouse
Re: Day Trippin' Around Ohio 2014/11/06 19:18:39 (permalink)
Very interesting, everyone!  I love all the photographs.  They're so interesting and different from what I know here on the west coast.
lleechef
Porterhouse
Re: Day Trippin' Around Ohio 2014/11/06 19:30:57 (permalink)
CK
Thanks for your additional information about the Amish.  Can any of us even imagine living without electricity or phones???  It's like they're living in the 1800's but it's 2014. 

mar
Thanks for your continued interest!  I have not finished yet.......more tomorrow with an interesting lunch at a Roadfood reviewed place!
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7503
Re: Day Trippin' Around Ohio 2014/11/06 20:06:22 (permalink)
Many of the traditional sects still dont have electricity.  Light and cook by coal, wood or gas.

One branch of my family is fairly traditional and live without electricity and "modern" comforts.  While most of the other branches have become a little more modern, but still dress muted, and nothing fancy.  Cousin Myron's truck is flat black (NOT METALLIC, tooooo fancy), and their family owns a "community" van 15 passenger, that anyone in the community can use, but they need to hire a driver when they do, because most of them don't have a DL.

I do think about them and their life, they are "closer" to my ancestors than I will ever be, Lisa you are right about them being like the 1700's and 1800's even here in 2014.  I could only ever dream of such a life.
ann peeples
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10403
Re: Day Trippin' Around Ohio 2014/11/06 20:21:03 (permalink)
We traveled thru an Amish community in middle Illinois. I found it, and the people fascinating. Beautiful gardens, lovely homesteads, families taking rides in their buggies near dusk, and a few young people that appeared to be courting( with a chaperone, of course) And no electricity in town at all. On our way back thru around midnight, Bob and I saw a glow in the distance.turned out to be a huge cornfield with tens of thousands of fireflies.Breathtaking.
lleechef
Porterhouse
Re: Day Trippin' Around Ohio 2014/11/06 20:36:43 (permalink)
CK
I don't know......I happen to like electricity.  I like the Internet.  I like my stupid old cell phone.  I like watching late-night TV.  I like my washer, dryer, dishwasher, refrigerator and gas range.  I really like my camera!  I like our car too!  I like flying!  I would not have been a good Amish woman.  I wear shorts all year long and have short hair.  But I sure do admire them for their tenacity.   
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4581
Re: Day Trippin' Around Ohio 2014/11/07 01:35:11 (permalink)
CFS and blackberry pie for me, please. And seriously-----is Blue Ash Chili named after the cave?

Ok, continue now......great report!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Day Trippin' Around Ohio 2014/11/07 11:15:30 (permalink)
Ed, I'll join you in the CFS, but I need more than one variety of Pie...so I may look for a buffet of desserts !

One more cart photo. Taken at one of the vendor stands. Note the tail lights/turn signals  and reflective material on the back of the cart on the right. Both display the universal "Slow-Moving Vehicle" Sign.

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 7
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5