De Lorenzo's Tomato Pie. Robbinsville, NJ

Author
Russ Jackson
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2336
2015/11/21 12:37:44 (permalink)

De Lorenzo's Tomato Pie. Robbinsville, NJ

I am in Philadelphia for business. I have never been to New Jersey and neither has my Wife. Figure we would scratch it off our States to visit list with a good Pizza. A quick google search pulls up De Lorenzo's Tomato Pie. 42 miles, its raining outside, its dark, and we need to get there by 9 pm. Its only 4:30 so it shouldn't be an issue. Toll charges to NJ from Philly about $8 each way. Park out front and walk in. We are greeted by a Gentleman in his 80's. I assume he it the owner. He thanks us for coming in and takes us to the only empty table. A Young Man comes to the table asks if we would like a beverage. Wife gets water and I order the iced tea. No Beer or Wine. It's BYOB a concept that I have never seen. I look around and see a bottle of Wine on just about every table. It appears to be packed with regulars. We order the seasonal salad. And a Large Pizza with pepperoni, mushroom and garlic. The salad arrives and its some kind of Pear Salad with nuts, balsamic vinegar, and what appears to be a soft goat cheese and greens. This is a world class fresh salad with much more than two people will eat. The table next to us gets up and another regular sits down with his Wife. Before they are seated the Waiter is already greeting them with a full glass of ice and a spoon so His Wife can add it to the Wine she has brought in. Waiter opens the bottle and serves her. I say to him: How long have you been coming here. He replies: Pretty much once a week for about 30 years. They do not even order. A salad arrives for them almost immediately. They box my remaining salad, clear the dishes. A minute passes and the Tomato Pie arrives. It is still steaming hot. I try to separate it as i have no patience coming from The Gastronomic Wasteland of Pizza called Ohio. But its still too hot. I can see the other patrons smile as they know I am a first timer here. I get it apart and start to eat. I of course burn the roof of my mouth but it was worth it. Shortly after our Pizza is delivered the regulars to my right arrives. The Husband who goes here every week for 30 years burns his mouth as well. I say to him: 30 years and you still cannot wait either. He nods and his Wife responds he never learns and laughs. The Iced Tea by the way was the best i have ever had for sweet tea, I finish and pay the Waiter. He returns with my receipt and Shakes My Hand and thanks me for coming in and wishes me a great Thanksgiving and Christmas. 

My experience at De Lorenzo's Tomato Pie ranks in the top 5 when it comes to eating in a Restaurant. Every single Patron was happy and involved in a conversation with the people at there table. I did not see one Cell Phone come out during the meal and all were smiling. The Staff which is obviously all related and by my guess about four generations was at ease and impeccable. I have never been so welcomed on a first time visit to a restaurant in my life. I am betting if it wasn't so lousy weather wise or i got there a little later I would have been waiting. This type of service does not exist anymore! So Sad. 

For those of you who live in the area or are visiting please make this a must stop. Service and Food like this is rare. If you live in the area and have never been to De Lorenzo's Tomato Pie  Shame on You.

Thank You De Lorenzo's Tomato Pie for a truly memorable meal. Even with the toll charges it was a bargain.

Oh By the way: The Pizza was amazing!

Address: 2350 Highway 33, Robbinsville, NJ 08691

Phone:(609) 341-8480

Hours: Open today · 4:00 – 9:30 PM 

Menu: delorenzostomatopies.com

...Russ
post edited by Russ Jackson - 2015/11/21 12:41:34

15 Replies Related Threads

phlmaestro
    • Total Posts : 1070
    Re: De Lorenzo's Tomato Pie. Robbinsville, NJ 2015/11/21 13:28:06 (permalink)
    Russ Jackson
     It's BYOB a concept that I have never seen. I look around and see a bottle of Wine on just about every table.

BYOBs are huge in Philadelphia and the surrounding area. There is usually no corkage fee.

Sounds like a great experience. I ate there once and enjoyed the pizza very much.
    lleechef
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 11893
    Re: De Lorenzo's Tomato Pie. Robbinsville, NJ 2015/11/21 13:50:35 (permalink)
    What a great experience!  You are right about The Gastronomic Wasteland of Pizza called Ohio!  There is great pizza in MA, CT, NY, NJ but it's terrible in Ohio.  Around here, they think Massey's is good. 
    Michael Stern
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 1143
    Re: De Lorenzo's Tomato Pie. Robbinsville, NJ 2015/11/21 15:52:52 (permalink)
    Amen!

buffetbuster
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 12589
    Re: De Lorenzo's Tomato Pie. Robbinsville, NJ 2015/11/21 16:05:22 (permalink)
    That looks fantastic Michael!

Thanks for the post Russ Jackson.  Glad you had such a great experience.
    leethebard
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10290
    Re: De Lorenzo's Tomato Pie. Robbinsville, NJ 2015/11/21 17:59:18 (permalink)
    Oh that pie looks perfect!!!
    lleechef
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 11893
    Re: De Lorenzo's Tomato Pie. Robbinsville, NJ 2015/11/21 18:12:38 (permalink)
    That is a BEAUTIFUL pie! 
    ann peeples
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10403
    Re: De Lorenzo's Tomato Pie. Robbinsville, NJ 2015/11/21 18:22:05 (permalink)
    Sounds like a great find-the salad sounds fabulous and oh that pie!
    ayersian
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 915
    Re: De Lorenzo's Tomato Pie. Robbinsville, NJ 2015/11/21 19:55:05 (permalink)
    De Lo's is one of my absolute favorites! They really do treat you like you're family there. 
    joerogo
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5325
    Re: De Lorenzo's Tomato Pie. Robbinsville, NJ 2015/11/21 20:26:56 (permalink)
    Hey Russ, Glad you enjoyed the pizza, definitely world class! Same goes for the ownership and staff.
    mlm
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 659
    Re: De Lorenzo's Tomato Pie. Robbinsville, NJ 2015/11/21 20:39:23 (permalink)
    Oooo. Am I VERY jealous.....? Bet the rent." />
    mlm
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 659
    Re: De Lorenzo's Tomato Pie. Robbinsville, NJ 2015/11/21 20:40:00 (permalink)
    Texas is another pizza wasteland.

yuppicide
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 429
    Re: De Lorenzo's Tomato Pie. Robbinsville, NJ 2016/04/14 12:17:17 (permalink)
    DeLorenzo's on Route 33 is my favorite pie. They won't tell me where they get or what kind of pepperoni they use. It's spicier than normal pepperoni. Everyone there is super nice. My only gripe is that I ask for extra pepperoni and get the same amount.

I am so glad you picked this DeLorenzo's instead of the other one in Trenton. I can't stand that one.

If you're ever back in the area, I'd always go to DiLorenzo's, but if you want something a little different try Papa's Tomato Pies, which is right down the road.. literally 30 seconds away. Ask for a "mustard pie". They put mustard on or in the crust. It gives it a little spicy tang. I've never tried mustard on pizza before, but a friend of mine says he's been putting mustard on pizza rolls for a long time.
    yuppicide
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 429
    Re: De Lorenzo's Tomato Pie. Robbinsville, NJ 2016/04/14 12:21:50 (permalink)
    You mention Ohio.. have you ever been to Avalanche Pizza? That place has been on my radar for awhile to visit. They have some awesome sounding pizzas that are based on or look like logos from a heavy metal band.

Someone else mentioned Texas.. I went there in hmm 2005 or 2006.. somewhere near one of the colleges. There was a place out there that had pizzas for $5 bucks each if you ordered 4 or more I think. Kind of like Domino's. But you go there to pick up pizza and it's some guy headbanging all the time to Slayer music making pizza. I know I know, I mentioned Domino's. But for hungry college kids I loved this place.
    Russ Jackson
    • Total Posts : 2336
    Re: De Lorenzo's Tomato Pie. Robbinsville, NJ 2016/04/14 14:49:53 (permalink)
    I get to Athens now and then. I will try it for sure. Thanks for the tip....Russ
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5766
    Re: De Lorenzo's Tomato Pie. Robbinsville, NJ 2016/04/15 09:48:30 (permalink)
    mlm
    Texas is another pizza wasteland.

Thankfully, not in the Dallas area. We have Cane Rosso. Check out the pics.
    https://www.yelp.com/biz/cane-rosso-dallas

And near you in San Marcos in Austin, try 360 Pizza. Two locations. One north and, one south.
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5