Helpful ReplyHot!December 2018 CSO European “Pre-tour”, and Paris and London

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
leethebard
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10046
Re: December 2018 CSO European “Pre-tour”, and Paris and London 2019/01/03 19:12:46 (permalink)
Davidsanders
pnwchef
I didn't want to go to Paris until today. Thanks for the journey you always do a great job with your reports. My Granddaughter is taking French and wants to take a month long trip to Paris. This would be a chance for her to speak nothing but French during their time there. I may tag along with a goal of  "In search for the perfect Croissant" being top on the list. There are many foods you can eat every day and soon get tired of eating them. Croissants aren't one of those food items. A Good/Great Croissant is a work of art. Thanks for sharing your adventure. You can tell it comes from the heart.....pnwchef

I agree 100 percent that a great croissant is a great work of art. Even a really good one is as well.

Agreed!!!!
leethebard
Porterhouse
Re: December 2018 CSO European “Pre-tour”, and Paris and London 2019/01/03 19:12:48 (permalink)
Davidsanders
pnwchef
I didn't want to go to Paris until today. Thanks for the journey you always do a great job with your reports. My Granddaughter is taking French and wants to take a month long trip to Paris. This would be a chance for her to speak nothing but French during their time there. I may tag along with a goal of  "In search for the perfect Croissant" being top on the list. There are many foods you can eat every day and soon get tired of eating them. Croissants aren't one of those food items. A Good/Great Croissant is a work of art. Thanks for sharing your adventure. You can tell it comes from the heart.....pnwchef

I agree 100 percent that a great croissant is a great work of art. Even a really good one is as well.

Agreed!!!!
mlm
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 659
Re: December 2018 CSO European “Pre-tour”, and Paris and London 2019/01/04 13:17:48 (permalink)
When I commented before, I hadn't finished reading the report. So let me say again. Truly SENSATIONAL report, David. I will probably not get to Europe but I can look at this and pretend. Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble.
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5394
Re: December 2018 CSO European “Pre-tour”, and Paris and London 2019/01/06 09:36:47 (permalink)
I am still enamored with that Festive Afternoon Tea....I keep going back to it!  That was a highlight for me...probably because I like jelly!  
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9091
Re: December 2018 CSO European “Pre-tour”, and Paris and London 2019/01/06 09:50:15 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner
I am still enamored with that Festive Afternoon Tea....I keep going back to it!  That was a highlight for me...probably because I like jelly!

Then this should be right up your alley!
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: December 2018 CSO European “Pre-tour”, and Paris and London 2019/01/06 09:54:46 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
ChiTownDiner

Then this should be right up your alley!

Dale took me as his guest last time he made a doll run...really enjoyed it!
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6560
Re: December 2018 CSO European “Pre-tour”, and Paris and London 2019/01/06 12:39:07 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2019/01/06 14:14:28
I can just see you two pinkie raisers sipping cups of Earl Grey on a Wednesday afternoon, with Blaire and Melody sitting beside you.  Oh, how I wish I could have been there...

Buddy
Davidsanders
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1092
Re: December 2018 CSO European “Pre-tour”, and Paris and London 2019/01/06 17:24:01 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
I can just see you two pinkie raisers sipping cups of Earl Grey on a Wednesday afternoon, with Blaire and Melody sitting beside you.  Oh, how I wish I could have been there...

Buddy

Me too!
rumaki
  • Total Posts : 1489
Re: December 2018 CSO European “Pre-tour”, and Paris and London 2019/01/07 12:58:04 (permalink)
Extremely enjoyable report!  I almost overlapped with you.  We were in London from December 18 until December 29.

May I recommend a patisserie to you for your future visits? Patisserie Sainte Anne: http://patisseriesainteanne.co.uk/
It's tiny, and off the beaten track (near the Ravenscourt Park tube station, in Hammersmith), but it is just great. I first went there last July, and took my husband there on this trip.  (The photos below are not original to me; they are from the web sites.)  The proprietors moved to London from Paris in 2014.  My favorite pastry is Automne – Hazelnut praline mousse & pistachio biscuit

New to both of us this trip was a wonderful osteria/Italian deli in the Clerkenwell area, near Farringdon tube station: Terroni  http://www.terroni.co.uk/   In operation since 1878 (although I gather there was a hiatus at some point; they re-opened in 2012), it is almost next door to an Italian Roman Catholic Church, St. Peter's. https://www.italianchurch.org.uk/  We went for a weekday mass, and it couldn't have been more Italian.

The deli is not huge, but the quality of the salumi is excellent, as are the inexpensive entrees available at mealtimes. The menu on the web site doesn't begin to reflect what they have on offer on their daily chalkboard:  lots of homemade pasta dishes (such as pumpkin-stuffed ravioli with tomato sauce) and pastries.

I will definitely keep your Chinatown recommendations in mind for my future trips.  After Chuen Cheng Ku closed, I have had pretty bad luck with dim sum places.  We had some good experiences at Dragon Castle (near Elephant and Castle tube station, and convenient to combine with a visit to the Imperial War Museum), but it is uneven, and we haven't been there for a couple of years. 

Davidsanders
Re: December 2018 CSO European “Pre-tour”, and Paris and London 2019/01/07 17:06:51 (permalink)
rumaki
Extremely enjoyable report!  I almost overlapped with you.  We were in London from December 18 until December 29.

May I recommend a patisserie to you for your future visits? Patisserie Sainte Anne: http://patisseriesainteanne.co.uk/
It's tiny, and off the beaten track (near the Ravenscourt Park tube station, in Hammersmith), but it is just great. I first went there last July, and took my husband there on this trip.  (The photos below are not original to me; they are from the web sites.)  The proprietors moved to London from Paris in 2014.  My favorite pastry is Automne – Hazelnut praline mousse & pistachio biscuit

New to both of us this trip was a wonderful osteria/Italian deli in the Clerkenwell area, near Farringdon tube station: Terroni  http://www.terroni.co.uk/   In operation since 1878 (although I gather there was a hiatus at some point; they re-opened in 2012), it is almost next door to an Italian Roman Catholic Church, St. Peter's. https://www.italianchurch.org.uk/  We went for a weekday mass, and it couldn't have been more Italian.

The deli is not huge, but the quality of the salumi is excellent, as are the inexpensive entrees available at mealtimes. The menu on the web site doesn't begin to reflect what they have on offer on their daily chalkboard:  lots of homemade pasta dishes (such as pumpkin-stuffed ravioli with tomato sauce) and pastries.

I will definitely keep your Chinatown recommendations in mind for my future trips.  After Chuen Cheng Ku closed, I have had pretty bad luck with dim sum places.  We had some good experiences at Dragon Castle (near Elephant and Castle tube station, and convenient to combine with a visit to the Imperial War Museum), but it is uneven, and we haven't been there for a couple of years. 

Thank you for your recommendations. I have but them onto my list for upcoming trips.
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3633
Re: December 2018 CSO European “Pre-tour”, and Paris and London 2019/01/12 11:58:13 (permalink)
Terrible gas explosion destroys Hubert Bakery No. 6 Rue de Trévise, at an intersection in the 9th arrondissement.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/12/world/europe/france-paris-explosion.html?action=click&module=Latest&pgtype=Homepage 
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7242
Re: December 2018 CSO European “Pre-tour”, and Paris and London 2019/01/13 11:39:00 (permalink)
MilwFoodlovers
Terrible gas explosion destroys Hubert Bakery No. 6 Rue de Trévise, at an intersection in the 9th arrondissement.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/12/world/europe/france-paris-explosion.html?action=click&module=Latest&pgtype=Homepage 

Ever trying to perfect French as her third language, my wife watches an hour of news on French TV every morning.  Fortunately, that was an accidental explosion due to a gas leak. 

And I say "fortunately" as there was some initial fear that this tragic circumstance was somehow related to the "Yellow Jacket" protests.  It was not.  (BTW, this accident happened in the same neighborhood as the Pyramides location of Sebastien Gaudard that Davidsanders so enjoyed in posts #'s 9 and 37 above).

Without commenting on their "cause" I will note that the "Yellow Jacket" protests are unique to modern France in two ways: 

1) In Paris, now for nine weekends running, they have been held in locations at which even peaceful protests are simply not "allowed" and

2)  The protesters are from the same social class as the forces (rank & file police and military) that are charged with keeping order.  

Most Americans do not realize that the French are presently in their Fifth Republic; to me, it appears that they may be working on their Sixth.

EDIT -  re: 2) above:

post edited by MetroplexJim - 2019/01/14 23:28:34
Davidsanders
Re: December 2018 CSO European “Pre-tour”, and Paris and London 2019/01/13 15:24:16 (permalink)
MetroplexJim
MilwFoodlovers

Ever trying to perfect French as her third language, my wife watches an hour of news on French TV every morning.  Fortunately, that was an accidental explosion due to a gas leak. 

And I say "fortunately" as there was some initial fear that this tragic circumstance was somehow related to the "Yellow Jacket" protests.  It was not.  (BTW, this accident happened in the same neighborhood as the Pyramides location of Sebastien Gaudard that Davidsanders so enjoyed in posts #'s 9 and 37 above).

Without commenting on their "cause" I will note that the "Yellow Jacket" protests are unique to modern France in two ways: 

1) In Paris, now for nine weekends running, they have been held in locations at which even peaceful protests are simply not "allowed" and

2)  The protesters are from the same social class as the forces (rank and file police and military) that are charged with keeping order.  

Most Americans do not realize that the French are presently in their Fifth Republic; to me, it appears that they may be working on their Sixth.

It looks like a 25 minute walk from the bakery that was destroyed to Sebastien Gaudard on Rue des Pyramides. That area is so full of tourists, being close to the Tuileries Garsen and the Louvre.
I was worried it was part of the protests and am glad to hear it wasn’t.
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: December 2018 CSO European “Pre-tour”, and Paris and London 2019/01/14 07:22:38 (permalink)
Okay...David's safely outta the country, more pie for all of us!  
Davidsanders
Re: December 2018 CSO European “Pre-tour”, and Paris and London 2019/01/15 02:11:47 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner

I’ll be back.
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: December 2018 CSO European “Pre-tour”, and Paris and London 2019/01/15 07:00:09 (permalink)
Davidsanders
ChiTownDiner

I’ll be back.

...but till them.....while the cat's away, the pie eaters will play!  
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: December 2018 CSO European “Pre-tour”, and Paris and London 2019/01/15 08:09:35 (permalink)
Davidsanders
ChiTownDiner

I’ll be back.

So will we.  Our next trip will be in June and it will be especially delightful as we will be taking my eldest (13 y.o.) grandson for his first visit to Paris.

post edited by MetroplexJim - 2019/01/15 11:06:23
rumaki
  • Total Posts : 1489
Re: December 2018 CSO European “Pre-tour”, and Paris and London 2019/01/15 10:01:13 (permalink)
MetroplexJim

BTW: this aspect of the "Yellow Jacket" protests is virtually unreported here in the U.S.A.:

That video is not from Paris. It is from the UK. You can tell by looking at the police uniforms. If someone is representing it as being from France, that is not the case. 

https://www.france24.com/...ris-rioters-want-trump

post edited by rumaki - 2019/01/15 10:11:46
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: December 2018 CSO European “Pre-tour”, and Paris and London 2019/01/15 11:18:58 (permalink)
While my wife has seen several such reports on French TV, upon thoughtful reconsideration, I have concluded that this thread is not the proper place to present such.

Therefore, I have edited my post #107 above in accord with that 'second thought'..
leethebard
Porterhouse
Re: December 2018 CSO European “Pre-tour”, and Paris and London 2019/01/15 11:26:51 (permalink)
Most of us enjoy conversation and don't get so technical. Your reporting is always welcome!

MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: December 2018 CSO European “Pre-tour”, and Paris and London 2019/01/15 16:52:01 (permalink)
leethebard
Most of us enjoy conversation and don't get so technical. Your reporting is always welcome!

Thank you, but in this case I believe that discretion is the better part of valor.

The last thing I want is for this wonderful thread to run off topic, so I straightened my wheels.

leethebard
Porterhouse
Re: December 2018 CSO European “Pre-tour”, and Paris and London 2019/01/15 16:57:33 (permalink)
MetroplexJim
leethebard

Thank you, but in this case I believe that discretion is the better part of valor.

The last thing I want is for this wonderful thread to run off topic, so I straightened my wheels.

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5