Deep Fried Turkey. Is the taste worth the mess?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
dadetigl
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 135
2006/03/28 20:48:04 (permalink)

Deep Fried Turkey. Is the taste worth the mess?

I received a propane turkey deep fryer for my birthday and would like to know if the taste of it is worth it and the possible destruction of my house? Friends who have tried it, rave about it, but it sounds like a mess. What do you do with all the leftover oil?
Is it worth the effort or should I just pass it along to Goodwill?
Thanks.

31 Replies Related Threads

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13822
    RE: Deep Fried Turkey. Is the taste worth the mess? 2006/03/28 20:55:22 (permalink)
    In my opinion, the only problem with deep frying a turkey is the oil. It takes a huge amount and unless you are frying for several friends it ain't worth it. Do not get me wrong! The taste is wonderful and be sure and use a thermometer. I get it a little hotter than your cooking temp because when you put the turkey in, it cools the oil off considerably.

The taste is worth it and the waste is not. Personal decision?? I think so. I just hate to waste.

My neighbor fired his off last Thanksgiving and I used his cooker and peanut oil. Doesn't take long to cook. Best I recall, it only took about 30 minutes. Came out crispy on the outside and extremely tasty and moist on the inside.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Reaper
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 188
    RE: Deep Fried Turkey. Is the taste worth the mess? 2006/03/28 21:30:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

In my opinion, the only problem with deep frying a turkey is the oil. It takes a huge amount and unless you are frying for several friends it ain't worth it. Do not get me wrong! The taste is wonderful and be sure and use a thermometer. I get it a little hotter than your cooking temp because when you put the turkey in, it cools the oil off considerably.

The taste is worth it and the waste is not. Personal decision?? I think so. I just hate to waste.

My neighbor fired his off last Thanksgiving and I used his cooker and peanut oil. Doesn't take long to cook. Best I recall, it only took about 30 minutes. Came out crispy on the outside and extremely tasty and moist on the inside.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Ditto

Lots of spattering putting the turkey in the oil, do it slowly to prevent boiling over.

$30.00 of oil is a lot to fry one turkey.

With the leftover oil fry wings, chickens, more turkey, get your moneys worth out of the oil.

Chicken or turkey fried in peanut oil is like beef smoked on oak, an almost perverted thing happens the flavors combine into a unique taste sensation and you do not have the peanut oil smell in the house.

Stupid stuff

Make sure you do it in the yard not the garage, you do not want to burn down the house

Regards,

Mitch
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6028
    RE: Deep Fried Turkey. Is the taste worth the mess? 2006/03/28 22:39:45 (permalink)
    Stole this from: http://phoenix.gov/FIRE/deepfry.html

The latest trend in preparing a Turkey is Deep Frying. However, if you don't take precautions, you may end up with an injury or fire. Deep Fryers can be dangerous because:

* Many units easily tip over, spilling the five gallons of hot oil within the cooking pot.
    * If the cooking pot is overfilled with oil, the oil may spill out of the unit when the turkey is placed into the cooking pot. Oil may hit the burner/flames causing a fire to engulf the entire unit.
    * Partially frozen turkeys placed into the fryer can cause a spillover effect. This too, may result in an extensive fire.
    * With no thermostat controls, the units also have the potential to overheat the oil to the point of combustion.
    * The sides of the cooking pot, lid and pot handles get dangerously hot, posing severe burn hazards.

The Phoenix Fire Department wants you and your family to have a safe and happy Thanksgiving. Just follow these simple cooking and safety rules:
    Deep Fried Turkey Cooking Tips:

* Follow your fryer’s instructions.
    * Only deep fry smaller turkeys—up to 12 pounds.
    * Use oils with high smoke points such as peanut, canola and safflower. Peanut oil adds flavor, but it can be a concern if guests have peanut allergies.
    * To determine how much oil you’ll need, put the turkey in the basket and place in the pot. Add water until it reaches one to two inches above the turkey. Lift the turkey out, and use a ruler to measure the distance from the water to the top of the fryer. Pour out the water and dry the fryer completely.
    * Remember that it can take anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour to heat the oil, depending on the outside temp. wind and weather.
    * Before frying, pat the turkey dry with paper towels to keep the hot oil from spattering and popping.
    * Slowly lower the turkey into the oil, and maintain an oil temp of 350ºF. Fry turkey for three to four minutes per pound or about 35 to 42 minutes for a 10- to 12-pound turkey.

Safety Tips:

* Turkey fryers should always be used outdoors a safe distance from buildings and any other material that can burn.
    * Never use turkey fryers on wooden decks or in garages.
    * Make sure the fryers are used on a flat surface to reduce accidental tipping.
    * Never leave the fryer unattended. Most units do not have thermostat controls. If you don't watch the fryer carefully, the oil will continue to heat until it catches fire.
    * Never let children or pets near the fryer when in use. Even after use, never allow children or pets near the turkey fryer. The oil inside the cooking pot can remain dangerously hot, hours after use.
    * To avoid oil spillover, do not overfill the fryer.
    * Use well-insulated potholders or oven mitts when touching pot or lid handles. If possible, wear safety goggles to protect your eyes from oil splatter.
    * Make sure the turkey is completely thawed and be careful with marinades. Oil and water don't mix, and water causes oil to spill over, causing a fire or even an explosion hazard.
    * The National Turkey Federation recommends refrigerator thawing and to allow approximately 24 hours for every five pounds of bird thawed in the refrigerator.
    * Keep an all-purpose fire extinguisher nearby. Never use water to extinguish a grease fire. Remember to use your best judgment when attempting to fight a fire. If the fire is manageable, use an all-purpose fire extinguisher. If the fire increases, immediately call 9-1-1 for help.
    * Even after use, never allow children or pets near the turkey fryer. The oil inside the cooking pots remains dangerously hot, hours after use.
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Deep Fried Turkey. Is the taste worth the mess? 2006/03/29 05:40:00 (permalink)
    The leftover oil can be a problem. I let it cool down and then strain it thru a china cap lined with cheese cloth, then store it in the freezer in a plastic container. As soon as the turkey comes out of the fryer I sometimes do a batch of onion rings they come out great and nice to snack on. I have also been known to do spuds in it, what the hell I figure everything is hot and right there. Hint! buy yourself a pair of welders gloves, money well spent and don't attempt to fry in shorts and sandels. Chow Jim
    RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 593
    RE: Deep Fried Turkey. Is the taste worth the mess? 2006/03/29 08:25:10 (permalink)
    You can also use the fryer for things other than frying. If you got a steamer insert with it, use it for a shrimp boil. When you are frying a turkey, get a bunch of cornish game hens and fry them also afterwards. They take very little time to fry and can be frozen after cooked. Use it to fry fish or other sundry items.

A turkey fryer setup can be used for many different things. Yes, the oil disposal is a problem. And if you follow the safety tips for frying a turkey, it can be a fun process.

John
    FireHouseBBQ.us
    hatteras04
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1291
    RE: Deep Fried Turkey. Is the taste worth the mess? 2006/03/29 09:06:30 (permalink)
    Has anyone tried one of the elcetric models. They are more expensive but to me they look a lot sturdier than the three legged stands that come with the propane model. My only concern would be that it might take a lot longer to get the oil back up to temperature when the turkey is put in.
    nvb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 468
    RE: Deep Fried Turkey. Is the taste worth the mess? 2006/03/29 09:16:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by hatteras04

Has anyone tried one of the elcetric models. They are more expensive but to me they look a lot sturdier than the three legged stands that come with the propane model. My only concern would be that it might take a lot longer to get the oil back up to temperature when the turkey is put in.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10296&SearchTerms=deep,fried,turkey
    RIDEANDSLIDEFOOD
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 191
    RE: Deep Fried Turkey. Is the taste worth the mess? 2006/03/29 10:46:21 (permalink)
    Hello

Always have wanted to try one myself but as others have allready said, could not justifie the cost. I'll just stay with my smoker.

Jim
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Deep Fried Turkey. Is the taste worth the mess? 2006/03/29 11:13:08 (permalink)
    It was a fad and too much trouble and too much wasted oil. I've used my fryer for many more things than turkey since I got it.

Another safety tip is to turn off the flame right before immersing the turkey - that way if it does overflow the flame can't continue the fire. Once you get it immersed, then restart the flame.
    dreamzpainter
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Deep Fried Turkey. Is the taste worth the mess? 2006/03/29 13:27:32 (permalink)
    I don't know if its a fad or not, maybe so and if your only doing one turkey a year it definately is expensive, not to mention where do you store the contraption..... But this makes such a delicious turkey why only use it on holidays? The strained oil will keep in a closed contanier in a dark cupboard, just like with a grill or other outdoor cooking equipment make sure its in a safe spot and a stable base and use caution when around it, think of it as a stand alone burner with a big pot and the possibilities are endless... crab boil, swamp stew, boiled peanuts..........
    V960
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: Deep Fried Turkey. Is the taste worth the mess? 2006/03/30 10:38:48 (permalink)
    About twenty homes in the US are extensively damaged by fire due to screw ups w/ turkey fryers each year. The oil waste is extensive.

This being said I do about six to eight per year, reduces the oil waste and is good eats. Approach a turkey fryer like you would a large chain saw...a great deal of respect.
    linus
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 252
    RE: Deep Fried Turkey. Is the taste worth the mess? 2006/03/30 11:05:26 (permalink)
    I finally got to taste some this past holiday, at a friend's house and my honest opinion? no. not worth it. Had they not told me they deep fried it I would not have known. Tasty bird, yes, but not different from a roasted one.
    Not worth the money, dangers, just MHO.
    Jennifer_4
    • Total Posts : 1513
    RE: Deep Fried Turkey. Is the taste worth the mess? 2006/03/30 11:05:44 (permalink)
    The taste is beyond compare, for those who can't tell the difference, I don't think their birds were injected with marinade beforehand because I don't like turkey otherwise.. whether the fuss is worth it, is up to you and how much fuss you want to indulge in for food's sake.. the new electric indoor models are much safer and easier... but for me, I like to order Chef Williams' deep fried turkey breast... the taste is out of this world and no mess or fuss for me. BTW, Happy Birthday! (whenever it was)
    Sonny Funzio
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 996
    RE: Deep Fried Turkey. Is the taste worth the mess? 2006/03/30 20:10:13 (permalink)
    I've been pretty happy using an oven roasting bag.

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15787
    RE: Deep Fried Turkey. Is the taste worth the mess? 2006/03/30 20:50:08 (permalink)

We tend to use the Turkey Breast we buy at local supermarkets when they are on sale -Usually 99 cents or less a pound. Oven roasting two of those at a time creates a stockpile of available white meat that serves us very well for several meals. The trick these days is to find a brand that minimizes the use of injected "solution" (water & salt). We seem to be able to find them now and then that rank in the 5% or less catagory...but the 15% brands are there also, You have to read the labels on each!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 22594
    RE: Deep Fried Turkey. Is the taste worth the mess? 2006/03/30 21:34:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

We tend to use the Turkey Breast we buy at local supermarkets when they are on sale -Usually 99 cents or less a pound. Oven roasting two of those at a time creates a stockpile of available white meat that serves us very well for several meals. The trick these days is to find a brand that minimizes the use of injected "solution" (water & salt). We seem to be able to find them now and then that rank in the 5% or less catagory...but the 15% brands are there also, You have to read the labels on each!

Al, the next time you're going to be in the Columbus area you might try a place called Carfagna's on Ohio 161, just off I-71 in North Columbus for some great turkey breasts that are all natural-- and fresh, not frozen. Although I haven't bought one in quite a while, we used to order 12 to 14 pound on-the-bone breasts there.
    dogmeat
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 113
    RE: Deep Fried Turkey. Is the taste worth the mess? 2006/03/30 22:04:38 (permalink)
    We have fried turkey on our menu (for ten years) that is made from raw boneless breast meat that we chunk up/season & marinate/fry in medium bite size portions. For large catering groups we will fry several whole turkeys for "show" but feed the masses the cubed product while it is fresh and hot. The consistency is better with the smaller size and of course the smaller fryers may be used. If the whole fried turkey isn't eaten quickly it will start to taste like a regular bird once cooled down anyway. Breakout some cajun maple fresh tarragon honey mustard dipping sauce and call your momma!!

P.S. Use your large fryer for low country boils and for shrimp!
    hotdogger
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 88
    RE: Deep Fried Turkey. Is the taste worth the mess? 2006/03/30 22:58:58 (permalink)
    I think it is too risky to deep fry a turkey.
    The only way I would do it is in a big empty parking lot, far, far away from my house.
    I think it is cool though that you got a deep fryer for your birthday.
    V960
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: Deep Fried Turkey. Is the taste worth the mess? 2006/04/01 11:44:02 (permalink)
    I own and operate a whisper chipper (always struck me as a strange name since it was as loud as Hell's bells), a few chain saws and a bush hog. Yes, a turkey fryer is dangerous but seems to be minor in the face of my other "toys".
    BTB
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 207
    RE: Deep Fried Turkey. Is the taste worth the mess? 2006/04/01 11:50:23 (permalink)
    It's way too much of a mess, the storage of the oil is a problem, and the taste is not that great . . . . . I definitely don't think it is all worth it and seem to notice that interest among many people in doing the frying is greatly waning or decreasing. Oven roasting to me is much better, but to each his own.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5070
    RE: Deep Fried Turkey. Is the taste worth the mess? 2006/04/01 12:49:26 (permalink)
    Totally agree with BTB.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Deep Fried Turkey. Is the taste worth the mess? 2006/04/01 12:54:59 (permalink)
    I agree with the mess, storage of the oil, danger but there is one thing I do like about the deep fried turkey vs oven baked. They tend to retain their moisture much longer.

I always enjoy a fresh out of the oven baked turkey but they tend to dry very quickly. It has been my personal experience and opinion that deep fried can have a crisper skin and a longer lasting moisture content.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 593
    RE: Deep Fried Turkey. Is the taste worth the mess? 2006/04/01 13:40:36 (permalink)
    Paul,

Have you ever brined a turkey and then baked or smoked it? Might be something to try. I have four 14lbers. waiting in the freezer for me to brine and smoke them. Everyone of them sells whenever I make them.

John
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Deep Fried Turkey. Is the taste worth the mess? 2006/04/01 15:03:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by RibDog

Paul,

Have you ever brined a turkey and then baked or smoked it? Might be something to try. I have four 14lbers. waiting in the freezer for me to brine and smoke them. Everyone of them sells whenever I make them.

John

I have smoked a turkey using my water smoker. It took about eight hours and it also was very moist and good. I got a lot of compliments on it.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Deep Fried Turkey. Is the taste worth the mess? 2006/04/01 22:27:40 (permalink)
    I was very apprehensive the first time I did one, and I wasn't that impressed with the result. My second one was better, and by the third one, I was all over it.

One thing I learned is to stay away from the commercial "injector sauces". While by my third one I had learned the timing better, I also just made my own sauce with butter and spices. It turned out GREAT, and everyone loved it. So much, in fact, that my oldest daughter insisted I do another one so she could take it back to San Marcos to share with her sorority sisters.

All-in-all, I think the experience is fun as hell. Ya spend 30 bucks for the original setup, then you spend 10 to 20 bucks on oil each time. You CAN reuse that, as mentioned above, but what the hell if you don't??? You've had a great time and your friends love you. That's worth 20 bucks to me. I spend more than that at most beer joints, and it's certainly less than going to a strip club. Um, that's what I've been told. )

I say go for it.
    dadetigl
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 135
    RE: Deep Fried Turkey. Is the taste worth the mess? 2006/04/03 20:34:48 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the feedback.
    I have decided give the deep fried turkey a shot at some point. I'll buy some cheap patio pavers to put it on a long way from anything flammable. Other than that, I will keep it for the occasional shrimp boil and more importantly for cooking in power outages during the upcoming hurricane season.
    I have read about all the oil it requires. If I go to Sam's club how many jugs should I get for a 12-14 lb. turkey? Is peanut oil best?
    I have also read above that the turkey needs injecting. Any injection recipe recommendations? How much do you inject?
    What is the best way to judge how much oil to put in the pot for deep frying the turkey so it doesn't boil over? Is it the turkey in the pot, then water, then mark level method?
    Thanks
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6028
    RE: Deep Fried Turkey. Is the taste worth the mess? 2006/04/03 20:43:13 (permalink)
    I've seen several people mention a waste of oil... Seems in a restaurant I can get about 35 to 40 hours of good use out of a fryer (and this is commercial heavy duty use). As long as you strain it after every day of use, I cant see where waste would come into play on a home turkey fryer??? Unless folks are heating up their fryers over 375 degrees (or in that ballpark), I cant see how the oil would go bad so quickly.. Could be that the home fryers use less oil, thus breaking down more quickly, but fryer oil in bulk is not all that expensive.
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Deep Fried Turkey. Is the taste worth the mess? 2006/04/03 21:11:34 (permalink)
    Vic, I think it might be storage problems. It has been known to go rancid if not stored or used in the propper manner. I understand that you use yours daily, but the average home consumer might use it once a month at best. I myself buy it in bulk, but I do filter and share it with my friends also. Like I said in an earlier post while the oil is hot I get the most out of it. The last item I cook in the older oil is fish, then I discard. Chow Jim
    nvb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 468
    RE: Deep Fried Turkey. Is the taste worth the mess? 2006/04/03 21:13:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Is it the turkey in the pot, then water, then mark level method?

That'd be it.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5