MetroplexJim
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6702
2017/11/23 11:49:40 (permalink)

Dining Out for Thanksgiving???

As we live near Dallas, and
As all the kids & grandkids are 'back East', and
As Thanksgiving travel is a pain ...

We have dined out each Thanksgiving since moving here in 2005.

The best place was at the French Room in the Adolphus, but dropping $175. for lunch is more than a bit extravagant.  The worst was Steve Fields Steak and Lobster Lounge in Plano where a resentful waiter seemed offended by our ordering the "Thanksgiving special" (a tepid, pre-plated mediocrity) rather than a $50 steak.  The happy medium which we have enjoyed for 10 years and will enjoy again in a few hours is at the last remaining Copeland's in the Metroplex.

Founded by the founder of Popeye's, Copeland's is a chain of finer dining places that specialize in Cajun cuisine.  And they serve a wonderful Cajun deep-fried turkey with wonderfully flavorful sides.  For $20 or so they offer excellent value.

Even before we moved here from McLean, VA I always hosted the whole bunch of us at my club which always offered a spectacular Thanksgiving buffet.  I think we are moving back next year.  I can hardly wait!

---------------------------

So, those of you 'empty-nesters' who dine out as a couple for Thanksgiving and those of you who host a bunch by avoiding the hassle and mess of cooking by going out:  where do you dine?

Here is a list of MSN's idea of great places to enjoy Thanksgiving "out".

6 Replies Related Threads

Wintahaba
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 737
    Re: Dining Out for Thanksgiving??? 2017/11/23 12:01:46 (permalink)
    When we lived in NOVA in the 80's, it was just my wife and I....we always went to THE GUARDS in DC....always had the fireplace table and Rack of Lamb...Sadly they are gone now, although they were the Georgetown hot spot from 1966-2012.
    MetroplexJim
    Sirloin
    Re: Dining Out for Thanksgiving??? 2017/11/23 18:41:39 (permalink)
    Wintahaba
    When we lived in NOVA in the 80's, it was just my wife and I....we always went to THE GUARDS in DC....always had the fireplace table and Rack of Lamb...Sadly they are gone now, although they were the Georgetown hot spot from 1966-2012.

Sure enough, is has closed
    But I checked and Mr. Smith's is still operating and is offering a $14 Thanksgiving Dinner!

Runyon's, Nathan's, Beowulf, Rumors, Sigh o' the Whale ... Those were the days!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 22635
    Re: Dining Out for Thanksgiving??? 2017/11/24 14:21:32 (permalink)
    Growing up Thanksgiving and Christmas turkey dinners always took place at my grandparents home. My grandfather always brought home a 25 pound Tom turkey. But one year he decided to make it easy on my grandmother and ordered dinner for the whole family at a New Haven restaurant. About halfway through the meal in the restaurant my grandfather suddenly realized he wouldn't have any leftovers. That was the last time he had Thanksgiving dinner out.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8871
    Re: Dining Out for Thanksgiving??? 2017/11/24 17:05:31 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman
    Growing up Thanksgiving and Christmas turkey dinners always took place at my grandparents home. My grandfather always brought home a 25 pound Tom turkey. But one year he decided to make it easy on my grandmother and ordered dinner for the whole family at a New Haven restaurant. About halfway through the meal in the restaurant my grandfather suddenly realized he wouldn't have any leftovers. That was the last time he had Thanksgiving dinner out.

Of course!!!
    MetroplexJim
    Sirloin
    Re: Dining Out for Thanksgiving??? 2017/11/24 17:33:04 (permalink)
    leethebard
    Michael Hoffman

Of course!!!

Yes, I do miss the leftovers!  But the last time I enjoyed that was in my youth.

This has me trying to recall the last time I had a "home cooked" Thanksgiving.  Only one wife attempted such and then only once - in 1969.  She forgot to make gravy and I remember going to the International Market in Charlottesville (the only food store open on Thanksgiving) to buy some canned gravy.  All they had was chicken, so we made do.  In my second marriage one of my brothers-in-law was (is) a great cook, so he hosted us through that marriage; 1988 was the last, after that, the country club and, in Dallas, restaurants.
    lleechef
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 11522
    Re: Dining Out for Thanksgiving??? 2017/11/24 18:47:41 (permalink)
    I am never, ever dining out on Thanksgiving.  Or Christmas. 
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5