Divided States of Chili: A Guide to America's Most Contentious Stew

Author
Root-Beer Man
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1877
2018/11/10 17:28:38 (permalink)

Divided States of Chili: A Guide to America's Most Contentious Stew

This is a slightly older post from the folks over at Serious Eats, but I only saw it today when they reposted it. It's a pretty good overview of chili in this country. It hits all the high points of the various styles, from Texas Red to Illinois' "chilli". I must say that my preference is for a bowl of red or a variation of it with absolutely no beans anywhere near it. I virtually always use a ground beef, rather than chunks and that works out just fine!

https://www.seriouseats.c...-of-chili-recipes.html

6 Replies Related Threads

leethebard
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10391
    Re: Divided States of Chili: A Guide to America's Most Contentious Stew 2018/11/10 18:54:28 (permalink)
    The great chili lesson. Thanks. Learned a lot.
    scrumptiouschef
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2771
    Re: Divided States of Chili: A Guide to America's Most Contentious Stew 2018/11/10 19:17:50 (permalink)
    "...the Texas legislature made chili the state dish back in 1977. The text of the resolution is characteristically spirited: "One cannot be a true son or daughter of this state without having his taste buds tingle at the thought of the treat that is real, honest-to-goodness, unadulterated Texas chili," it says. The next clause goes further, declaring that only Texans produce the "best and only authentic concoction of this piquant delicacy." The resolution concludes by saying that "the only real 'bowl of red' is that prepared by Texans," before proclaiming chili the state's official dish."
    1bbqboy
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5912
    Re: Divided States of Chili: A Guide to America's Most Contentious Stew 2018/11/11 08:49:08 (permalink)
    I have never heard of Oklahoma chili
    as a separate species. Hmmm...
    Root-Beer Man
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1877
    Re: Divided States of Chili: A Guide to America's Most Contentious Stew 2018/11/11 09:20:25 (permalink)
    1bbqboy
    I have never heard of Oklahoma chili
    as a separate species. Hmmm...

Me,either. But it seems to be a thing. They always seemed a bit more Midwestern than Western to me. That might account for the beans.
    mlm
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 659
    Re: Divided States of Chili: A Guide to America's Most Contentious Stew 2018/11/12 10:13:06 (permalink)
    I love Texas Red but making a chili out of just meat is an expensive luxury unless the meat is cheap and abundant which it was, originally, in Texas. For most of the country, beans and other fillers make chili cost effective. I love Texas Red and I love chilies with beans, potatoes or just vegetarian chili. No need to choose just one unless you want to.
    leethebard
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10391
    Re: Divided States of Chili: A Guide to America's Most Contentious Stew 2018/11/12 11:01:06 (permalink)
    mlm
    I love Texas Red but making a chili out of just meat is an expensive luxury unless the meat is cheap and abundant which it was, originally, in Texas. For most of the country, beans and other fillers make chili cost effective. I love Texas Red and I love chilies with beans, potatoes or just vegetarian chili. No need to choose just one unless you want to.

Yep, variety is the spice of life!

Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5