Dixie Crossroads

Author
dadetigl
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 142
2018/03/13 19:50:50 (permalink)

Dixie Crossroads

We will be heading to Titusville, Fl next week or the following week to visit the Merritt Island Wildlife Sanctuary and the Space Center.  I have read good things about Dixie Crossroads and the Rock Shrimp on Roadfood.  The info on this forum is kind of old.  Anyone been there recently?  Still good?  My other question is there a rock shrimp season?  If there is, is it still on in March or are they served there all year.  You can find them occasionally in seafood stores in Tampa but rarely in restaurants.
Thanks,
Tom

14 Replies Related Threads

Root-Beer Man
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1373
    Re: Dixie Crossroads 2018/03/13 21:19:17 (permalink)
    I haven't been to Dixie Crossroads for a couple of years now, but when I was there it was fantastic! Some of the best shrimp I've ever had and they had quite a variety. The Rock Shrimp were the best! I doubt they've changed much. Places like DC usually stick to what works.
    JRPfeff
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5353
    Re: Dixie Crossroads 2018/03/14 07:38:31 (permalink)
    If you are there you gotta go. The place is a treasure.

We stopped on the way to Miami last January and nothing had changed in 25 years. Except the prices.
    TJ Jackson
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5435
    Re: Dixie Crossroads 2018/03/14 09:30:28 (permalink)
    one of the best meals I have ever had
    Davidsanders
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 928
    Re: Dixie Crossroads 2018/03/14 10:18:28 (permalink)
    What's the difference between Rock Shrimp and other shrimp?
    buffetbuster
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 12279
    Re: Dixie Crossroads 2018/03/14 10:58:56 (permalink)
    My last visit was in February of 2016.  The only thing different is that they no longer offer the all you can eat rock shrimp.  The food was outstanding! 

I think rock shrimp season is late Summer/Fall, but not 100% sure.  It might be a good idea to call ahead.
    post edited by buffetbuster - 2018/03/14 11:04:30
    cavandre
    • Total Posts : 1984
    Re: Dixie Crossroads 2018/03/14 12:22:03 (permalink)
    If they're on the menu do yourself a favor & also try Royal Red shrimp.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13869
    Re: Dixie Crossroads 2018/03/14 12:22:08 (permalink)
    I have been there many times.  Very good.  I have also birded on Merritt Island.  Triple outstanding.
    http://www.dixiecrossroads.com/menu.asp

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13869
    Re: Dixie Crossroads 2018/03/14 12:24:11 (permalink)
    Davidsanders

Rock shrimp use to be thrown away due to difficulty peeling..Dixie Crossroads developed a method of peeling.  Shrimp are very sweet.  Sorta small though.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville,  TN
    dadetigl
    Cheeseburger
    Re: Dixie Crossroads 2018/03/14 23:29:35 (permalink)
    Sundancer7
    Davidsanders

Rock shrimp use to be thrown away due to difficulty peeling..Dixie Crossroads developed a method of peeling.  Shrimp are very sweet.  Sorta small though.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville,  TN

Dunked in melted butter, rock shrimp remind me of lobster flavor and texture.
    Looking forward to my visit.
    dadetigl
    Cheeseburger
    Re: Dixie Crossroads 2018/05/02 00:20:14 (permalink)
    There was a controlled burn/fire at Merritt Island National Wildlife Sanctuary just before our scheduled trip last month.  We figured no wildlife in the smoke so we cancelled.  Made it back last week finally. 
    My wife is the photographer and I tag along for the food after.  Since it was dark, we headed to Dixie Crossroads.  www.dixiecrossroads.com.  After reading the Roadfood reviews, I was ready for some great seafood.  We got there about 7pm on a Wednesday night with no waiting.  Our waitress brought a bowl of corn fritters? with heaping amounts of powdered sugar on top.  Awesome!  Wasn't cornmeal but maybe cornflour.  Reminded me of Cafe Du Monde beignets.  No appetizer necessary but powdered sugar all over me.  Big menu.  Lots of choices.  I settled on the Cape Canaveral Special.  For me, 1 dozen fried shrimp, 2 dozen butterflied and broiled rock shrimp w/ melted butter and 1/4 lb. of broiled bay scallops.  Absolutely delicious.  The rock shrimp dunked in butter taste very similar to lobster.  There was a real lagniappe going on with the fried shrimp and scallops.  About 18 shrimp and maybe 35 or so bay scallops.  Fries were good.  Cole slaw bland.  I even have to comment on the tartar sauce.  Loved it.  Not sweet with a hint of onion.  I lobbied hard for Anne's entree pick.  She ordered steamed Royal Red shrimp with melted butter.  Oh man, I got to try a few.  They were delicious but I'm not sure how to describe them.  They didn't taste like any shrimp I've ever had.  Sweet, tender, scallopy, lobstery, don't know.  Good call cavendre.  Service was great.  Our waitress was great.  I wish I lived closer to this place but maybe better I don't because this would be a regular fried seafood stop.  In fact, we hit the Merritt Island Sanctuary at dawn the next day.  At 2 pm we headed to Dixie Crossroads for lunch.  I had the Mahi mahi and shrimp platter and Anne had the blackened Mahi and steamed broccoli with loads of garlic.  Excellent.  This is my new all-time seafood house.  It's 1.5 miles east of I-95 in Titusville.  If you are anywhere near, it is a must try.  They also launch the occasional rocket nearby.
    We went up to New Smyrna Beach the next day.  Went down to have dinner and a sunset at JB's Fish Camp (www.jbsfishcamp.com) by the Canaveral Beach gate.  Live music and a nice, very casual place to sit out, have a drink or 3, eat seafood and watch the sunset.  We really enjoyed the Rock Cake app. which was a large rock shrimp and crab cake.  The entrees would have been better if we had not been spoiled by Dixie Crossroads.
    I apologize for being long-winded but I rarely find a place that impresses me this much.  We will return.  I had some photos but am not smart enough to be able post them.  If you have read the Roadfood reviews, the photos there are similar enough.
    Thanks,
    Tom

TJ Jackson
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5435
    Re: Dixie Crossroads 2018/05/02 08:22:42 (permalink)
    My all time favorite as well
    cavandre
    • Total Posts : 1984
    Re: Dixie Crossroads 2018/05/02 12:09:39 (permalink)
    I'm glad you got to try the Royal Reds!
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3941
    Re: Dixie Crossroads 2018/05/03 17:29:54 (permalink)
    Many locals have begun to frown on the place saying that their quality has continued to deteriorate. I can say that on my last visit - maybe a month and a half ago, I was not impressed with my meal. 

The corn fritters still lived up to their well-earned reputation. 

Unfortunately, that may have been the highlight of my meal. Their side dishes now are all, collectively, meh, at best. I used to love this version of their shrimp soup, which was an every day menu item.

Now, they have transitioned to offering a rotating variety of a shrimp soup, which I have never found to be as good as the original. 

I also remember the rock shrimp coming to the table at a reasonable size. These are the ones I like, prepared the way I like - broiled with Old Bay seasoning....

Unfortunately, on my last couple of visits, these shrimp have been maybe half this size, making them harder to eat and considerably less volume on an order of two dozen....all at the above-mentioned, higher pricing. 

It's an hour-long drive for me from where I live, and, sadly, I will be making that trek less frequently until I hear of quality improvements. 
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4229
    Re: Dixie Crossroads 2018/05/03 18:07:20 (permalink)
    Wow!  That is sad to hear.  When we lived in Ponce Inlet, Fl, we would go there once a week, and looked forward to it each time.
    Jump to:
    © 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5