Helpful ReplyDo you have a garden?

Author
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13820
2017/05/15 09:41:43 (permalink)

Do you have a garden?

I planted a garden for 27 straight years but I stopped 3 years ago because of two back surgeries plus Mamaw Smith's failing health. I have revived it this year because my son in law has agreed to help with maintenance.  I had it tilled and now it is mostly planted with six big boy tomatoes and four beef steak tomatoes, jalapeno, Ghost and bell peppers, spinach, lettuce, turnips, radish, garlic and cucumbers in garden plus cucumbers on my fence, cilantro which will develop coriander seeds.

I irrigate the garden from the lake and I use Osmocote which is a slow release fertilizer.  You only have to use it once every four months.  Raising a garden is much more than tilling and planting, it is maintenance which includes weeding and watching for insects and keeping varmits out.  The last year I planted 100 stalks of peaches and cream corn, raccoons totally destroyed and ate each and every ear the night before I was going to pick.  I will not plant any corn this year as we have a bumper crop of raccoons, rabbits and squirrels and other critters.

Just curious what other gardeners were doing?  Any tips or advice would be appreciated.
Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN 
tmiles
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2560
Re: Do you have a garden? 2017/05/15 10:55:06 (permalink)
We have started planting in our garden that is about 30x30. We use black plastic to keep the weeds down, except in the corn. I no longer grow veggies to sell. My most recent commercial corn patch is growing a bumper crop of clover, so it will be really good soil should a younger family member decide to give truck gardening a try.

Last summer I commented on our excellent garden, and I gave credit to the fact that it was on "new ground". Depending on who you ask, new ground is soil that has not been cropped, except for pasture or hay for several years. (some say 2, and some say 25, and some say "never", but in my case the ground was in strawberries 25  or 30 years ago, and lawn since). Because it is a lot of work to move the black landscape plastic cloth, we are leaving the garden in the same place for another year. We like Paul, use Osmocote, and will use a little extra for this second year of cropping old ground. The corn section, now in at least it's 5th year, got a nice dose of sheep manure. The sheep manure is a little trouble to till in, and has weed seeds, but we manage.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Do you have a garden? 2017/05/15 13:49:33 (permalink)
I usually buy a truck load of mushroom compost.  Handy for us as there is a huge mushroom farm close by.  The compost is easy to spread and makes my tiller easy work for my yard man and also makes the ground very fertile.  Probably do not need to use fertilizer but I do.
This year I am using my fence as a climbing zone for my cucumbers.  I should have a bumper crop.  I am also looking forward to using my garden to make my salsa.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
edwmax
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2372
Re: Do you have a garden? 2017/05/15 13:55:31 (permalink)
I have a garden.    I'm not sure what else I'll plant, but for now 5 rows of corn; 200 beefsteak & 6 Early Girl tomatoes; and 120 pepper plants: jalapeno; new Mexico Joe; Marconi; poblano peppers.    Will be eating the Early Girl tomatoes in another couple of weeks
felix4067
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4703
Re: Do you have a garden? 2017/05/15 18:35:55 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Sundancer7 2017/05/15 19:04:22
I don't have a garden anything like what all y'all do, although I grew up with one that was 75 x 175 feet with everything that would grow in it.

Now I have containers on my back porch. Always basil, chives, parsley, oregano, thyme, tarragon, mint, dill, and red bell peppers (because if you pick them early they're green). This year I added sage and green/gold beans, as well as two hanging pots of flowers and gave over two of my other pots to flowers, hoping to bring the bees. Since I grow in pots, keeping weeds down is easy... I just spend a few minutes every day sitting on the porch pulling them out. For dirt, I just get Miracle Grow garden soil, with pea gravel in the bottom of the pots. I also add a shake of Miracle Grow fertilizer pellets when I prep in the spring.

I use some kind of deer repellent spray that smells like predator urine (I spray it in a circle around the porch on the grass so it doesn't get on my food) which keeps the deer and rabbits at bay, but the woodchuck couldn't care less about it and will eat my lettuce if I grow any. Haven't had much of an issue with any insects, at least not in the 4 years I've had it.

This was my "I'm done!" picture from yesterday afternoon.

post edited by felix4067 - 2017/05/15 18:37:21
Uncle Groucho
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 431
Re: Do you have a garden? 2017/05/15 18:41:48 (permalink)
I use " Man Made " deer repellent.  I live on a shady lot. I grow Ferns and Hostas.

lleechef
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11375
Re: Do you have a garden? 2017/05/15 18:45:24 (permalink)
I do big pots of flowers.  Then just tomatoes, basil and chives in our little garden.  The side has marigolds in in (which are also in the pots) to keep the deer away.  We are not from a farm where we get corn, beans, peas, strawberries and a lot of other goodies!
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11954
Re: Do you have a garden? 2017/05/15 23:14:51 (permalink)
I grow my garden at Sprouts:
https://www.sprouts.com/
Besides, it supports a local company headquartered here! 
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4637
Re: Do you have a garden? 2017/05/16 08:35:22 (permalink)
We have a small garden and it's prepped with a mixture of 40% organic compost, 40% mushroom compost and 20% peat.  We let it sit all winter, till it in and then add a bit more.  We use Miracle Grow every 3-4 weeks.

For planting, we have 30 garlic plants that were planted in October.  They are 2 feet high already and with the mild winter in Chicago, they began coming up in February.  Neither snow nor frost causes any damage.  They will be pulled after the 4th of July and dried in the garage until mid-August.  

Our returning herbs are also in fine shape - chive, mint, parsley.  We'll add lots of basil (several types) and a few more herbs over the next few days.  

Also this week, we will pick up a dozen tomato plants in 4-6 varieties.  My wife likes cherry tomatoes, so we'll have red and yellow.  San Marzano's for sure plus my favorite, yellow heirloom.  

We add in cucumbers, several varieties of peppers, a lettuce basket or two for fresh cut salads and perhaps a surprise or two.  Thinking of trying eggplant as I love - tomato (room temp), cucumber (cold), eggplant (grilled), fresh mozzarella and balsamic glazed Napoleons.  

Last year was a record year for tomatoes with a steady stream from late July to mid-October.  

Critters and weeds are the main workload but we both enjoy it.  
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Do you have a garden? 2017/05/16 09:56:37 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2017/05/16 10:13:27
When I pull my garlic from the garlic to let it dry, I always leave a few pods in the ground.  Garlic has been in the garden before I built next to my mother and father.  Mamaw had been gathering her garlic for 50 years.

I am going to try something different this year.  I have several large pots and I am going to plant cucumbers and let them trail off my deck.  That may work with tomatoes also.

So far I have eight tomatoes planted, one ghost pepper and one jalapeno, two bell peppers, 200 onion sets, spinach, radish, turnips, collards, cilantro and cucumber.

I have dozens of jalapeno's in the peat boxes waiting to germinate, dozens of cucumbers and several garlic bulbs.

Waiting for salsa right outta my garden.  The garden is irrigated from water right out of the Tennessee river.  Sorta fertile:)

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Do you have a garden? 2017/05/18 13:13:18 (permalink)
My garden is expanding daily.  I bought several peat 18 packs.  I filled them full of potting soil containing fertilizer and peat.  I planted multiple jalapeno from seeds from dried peppers.  I  have got lotsa cucumbers germinating and I have a container that fits on the rail of my deck.  The cucumbers will trail about six feet down.  I also planted garlic from my pantry and they are coming up.
This morning I bought tabasco peppers, ghost peppers, Cilantro, 200- onion sets, Thai peppers and more bell peppers.

I already have about a dozen tomatoes staked, spinach, radish, turnips, bells peppers, jalapeno peppers, collards and cucumbers thriving well in the irrigated garden.

Looking forward to salsa directly from my garden. 
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5