Does anybody still can?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
carlton pierre
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Does anybody still can? 2004/11/04 19:30:14 (permalink)
Tmiles, you sound like you may have been a farmer at some point. Did you only raise one cow for yourself, or many head of cattle as well?
I make a lot of things "homemmade" because I enjoy it, even though it is a lot of extra work. I know I don't save any $$ either, I just enjoy it.

carl reitz
redtressed
  • Total Posts : 1017
RE: Does anybody still can? 2004/11/04 20:43:10 (permalink)
Yup, but y'all nude dat already
tmiles
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2810
RE: Does anybody still can? 2004/11/05 10:08:03 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by carlton pierre

Tmiles, you sound like you may have been a farmer at some point. Did you only raise one cow for yourself, or many head of cattle as well?
I make a lot of things "homemmade" because I enjoy it, even though it is a lot of extra work. I know I don't save any $$ either, I just enjoy it.

carl reitz

Carl, I did farm full time for a few years some time ago. We did 40 acres of vegetables, had an orchard, and raised Angus and later Gelbvieh cattle. Today I just raise a few sheep. Canning is, I agree, a hobby today. Trader Joe does such a good job with frozen veggies, that the only reason to do it yourself is as a fun family project. I still garden for the fun of it, for example, knowing that the stuff costs me more to grow than it is worth. My point was only that a generation or two ago, people canned because they had to. Today people can because they want to. Thank God that we live in a free society.
Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2415
RE: Does anybody still can? 2004/11/05 10:13:06 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Mayhaw Man

I am spending the weekend putting up peas of various sorts, butterbeans, dill pickles, and peaches. It has led me to wonder how many people still bother to do this. I have a deep freeze that holds a ton and in one long weekend every summer I usually put up enough to last until next summer. I also can tomatoes and okra and freeze pecans (puh-cons) in the late summer. If you know what you are doing, there is virtually no taste difference between fresh and canned and I can't bring myself to live in a world without peas (visualize whirled peas). I learned how to do all of this stuff from my mother and her mother, who were doing it for economic reasons (mainly), but I can because I want the food in the winter. What do Yankees do in the wintertime without fresh vegetables? I mean, how many potatoes can you eat?

I freeze lots. No canning. Not sure if I don't have the time or the patience for that. Maybe when the kid's are grown I'll give it a try. I usually do lots of peas, corn, both on the cob, and creamed, peanuts, and "p" cans.
Oneiron339
  • Total Posts : 2075
RE: Does anybody still can? 2004/11/05 13:30:58 (permalink)
Every year Mrs. Oneiron and I can apple butter for office and distant family gifts. They have all come to expect this and always ask when we will bring the new stuff. And it's almost time. Got to get those bushels of Rome Beauty apples peeled.
Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2415
RE: Does anybody still can? 2004/11/05 16:36:16 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by oneiron339

Every year Mrs. Oneiron and I can apple butter for office and distant family gifts. They have all come to expect this and always ask when we will bring the new stuff. And it's almost time. Got to get those bushels of Rome Beauty apples peeled.

Is Florida distant enough?!?!?! Oh, you said "distant family". We could be related you never know. I have such fond memories of my Grandmother making apple butter up in W.Va, we'd eat it by the spoonfuls. Is there any store brands that even come close, if fact do the stores even sell it?
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3175
RE: Does anybody still can? 2006/01/08 06:44:19 (permalink)
I know this is a real old topic but a good one for this time of year. I recently for the first time canned some mince meat I had leftover green toatoes in storage and deer scraps with some bear trimmings {the only thing bear is good for} I found canning enjoyable but also thought back to when it was a nessesity and what those poor woman had to endure. I guess thats why so manny homes had what they called a summer kitchen up here in the N.E. Chow Jim
EliseT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2953
RE: Does anybody still can? 2006/01/11 02:09:30 (permalink)
Yeah, my mind is blown when I imagine my mom churning butter, going to the well, making pie crusts and canning every day besides the farming. Then I remember that's why she had 14 brothers and sisters to help.

I made a nice pear chutney and Emeril's pickled okra this year. One or two people are obsessed with the okra, but most people are wary. The pear chutney sure went fast though.

I can't wait for rhubarb.
UncleVic
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6028
RE: Does anybody still can? 2006/01/11 02:26:07 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by EliseT

I can't wait for rhubarb.

AMEN!
V960
  • Total Posts : 2429
RE: Does anybody still can? 2006/01/11 10:40:17 (permalink)
Old topics do come back. I can forty to fifty quarts of different stuff each year. Mostly green beans, tomatoes and what is called Fanny's soup after my Aunt Fanny. Limas, tomatoes, potatoes, onions and what ever else is left in the garden at the end of the gardening year.

Brown off some meat, add a quart of the mix, simmer for a while, make some cornbread or biscuits and live large in a East Tennessee kind of way.

Anyone wanting to can should buy the Blue Book from Ball for $5 at Wally World. Follow the direections and have at it.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5