Does anyone else like Yorkshire Pudding?

Author
HotDogHead
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 665
2005/12/22 16:28:59 (permalink)

Does anyone else like Yorkshire Pudding?

My colleague was asking for suggestions as to what sides to prepare for her prime rib Christmas dinner. I suggested Yorkshire Pudding.

She looked at me like I was nuts. She had no idea what it was. She envisioned whipping up some Jello-type pudding. Not even close. In further conversations with our other coworkers, most of them did not know what it is either.

It must be a regional thing. My Nana always made Yorkshire Pudding for the Christmas dinner. Mind you, this was in Canada, at the time. It is more common there.

24 Replies Related Threads

porkbeaks
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2218
    RE: Does anyone else like Yorkshire Pudding? 2005/12/22 17:03:22 (permalink)
    If prepared correctly, it is delicious. It can, however, be a disaster if served soggy with nasty gravy. I like to make individual servings in a pop-over pan. They seem to come out totally crisp that way and look great. pb
    HotDogHead
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 665
    RE: Does anyone else like Yorkshire Pudding? 2005/12/22 17:16:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by porkbeaks

If prepared correctly, it is delicious. It can, however, be a disaster if served soggy with nasty gravy. I like to make individual servings in a pop-over pan. They seem to come out totally crisp that way and look great. pb

You are right. It has to be prepared correctly and it is a must to make it in the pop-over fashion.
    Jennifer_4
    • Total Posts : 1513
    RE: Does anyone else like Yorkshire Pudding? 2005/12/22 17:27:43 (permalink)
    I love Yorkshire pudding! Unfortunately my family's schedule never permits me to make it, because we all eat at different times..and pudding must be served immediately or it goes all flat and nasty.
    Rayme
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 106
    RE: Does anyone else like Yorkshire Pudding? 2005/12/22 17:33:13 (permalink)
    I loved Yorkshire pudding when I was a kid; it was my favorite part of a traditional roast beef dinner. Unfortunately, I haven't had it since I was a kid; I never see it on menus anymore and I rarely have a roast at home so no pudding. I think the last time I had it was at some restaurant like The Velvet Turtle back in the 70's.
    trudyn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 117
    RE: Does anyone else like Yorkshire Pudding? 2005/12/23 01:29:00 (permalink)
    I had Yorkshire pudding in York(England) about ten years ago. It was okay. I have never seen it on a menu anywhere in the United States.
    ScreenBear
    • Total Posts : 1507
    RE: Does anyone else like Yorkshire Pudding? 2005/12/23 02:06:54 (permalink)
    I've heard of it my whole life. I imagine they'd serve it if I were invited to Tiny Tim's house for Christmas. Wonder if I'd like it?

"Ooh, that's as fine a Yorkshire pudding as anyone in London ever made," Bob Cratchit would tell his wife, sort of to make her feel good in keepin' with the season, mind you.
    The Bear
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5635
    RE: Does anyone else like Yorkshire Pudding? 2005/12/23 16:39:32 (permalink)
    I've heard of it for YEARS but I've never seen or eaten it.

MikeS.
    porkbeaks
    RE: Does anyone else like Yorkshire Pudding? 2005/12/23 16:53:23 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MikeSh

I've heard of it for YEARS but I've never seen or eaten it.

MikeS.

Check here for photo.
    www.theworldwidegourmet.com/countries/uk/images/yorkshire-pudding

The recipe.

Ingredients for 8 servings
    1 cup flour
    1/2 tsp. salt
    2 eggs
    1 cup milk
    8 tsp. beef dripping

Combine the flour and salt. In another bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk. Add to the dry ingredients all at once, whisking until smooth.
    Let the batter rest for 30 minutes.
    Pour the oil into a square baking pan or divide it among the muffin tins. Place the pan in a 400° oven until the pan and oil are very hot. Carefully pour the batter into the hot pan and immediately return it to the oven. Bake for about 20 minutes for muffin tins, and 30 minutes for a single pan, until puffed and browned. Serve immediately.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13939
    RE: Does anyone else like Yorkshire Pudding? 2005/12/23 16:57:25 (permalink)
    I personally have never had Yorkshire pudding but I certainly look forward to it. It sounds so good with the prime rib????

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Rick F.
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: Does anyone else like Yorkshire Pudding? 2005/12/23 18:09:01 (permalink)
    Love the stuff; made it once many years ago, most likely using Fanny Farmer's recipe. I planned to make it last week, but the stuff in the bottom of the roasting pan scorched and I didn't have the nerve to use the drippings that had been in contact with it.
    MacTAC
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 437
    RE: Does anyone else like Yorkshire Pudding? 2005/12/23 18:42:24 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ScreenBear

I've heard of it my whole life. I imagine they'd serve it if I were invited to Tiny Tim's house for Christmas. Wonder if I'd like it?

"Ooh, that's as fine a Yorkshire pudding as anyone in London ever made," Bob Cratchit would tell his wife, sort of to make her feel good in keepin' with the season, mind you.
    The Bear
    I thought it was a Plum Pudding, mainly because of the brandy, but I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all...

"Hallo! A great deal of steam! the pudding was out of the copper. A smell like washing day! That was the cloth. A smell like an eating house and a pastrycook’s next door to each other, with a laundress’s next door to that! That was the pudding! In half a minute Mrs. Cratchit entered — flushed, but smiling proudly — with the pudding. like a speckled cannon ball, so hard and firm, blazing in half of half-a-quartern of ignited brandy, and bedight with Christmas holly stuck into the top."

"Oh, a wonderful pudding! Bob Cratchit said, and calmly too, that he regarded it as the greatest success achieved by Mrs. Cratchit since their marriage..."
    GordonW
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 924
    RE: Does anyone else like Yorkshire Pudding? 2005/12/23 19:44:56 (permalink)
    When I was in college, I was a "hasher." That means, a fraternity guy who worked in the kitchen of a sorority house, for meals and a few bucks. All the sorority houses had formal dining, each evening, with a "real" cook. Where I worked, was a tremendous lady cooking. Among other things, she made an awesome Yorkshire pudding. I couldn't believe that batter stuff poured into a pan of roast beef drippings could rise up into such a marvelous thing. Unhealth, yes. But great to eat, but more important, so great to look at before it puffed back down.

Never seen or tasted a Yorkshire pudding coming close to match.
    ScreenBear
    RE: Does anyone else like Yorkshire Pudding? 2005/12/23 20:20:51 (permalink)
    Maybe it was plum pudding. It's been quite a while since I've been to the Cratchits.
    The Bear
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 255
    RE: Does anyone else like Yorkshire Pudding? 2005/12/23 21:17:07 (permalink)
    The above recipe looks good, although I'd add sauteed minced shallots and some chopped parsley.
    Roast beef and yorkshire pudding is the traditional Christmas eve meal in this house, although this year I'm doing brisket and latke to give my kids a little multicultualisim.
    MacTAC
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 437
    RE: Does anyone else like Yorkshire Pudding? 2005/12/23 21:46:49 (permalink)
    quote:

Maybe it was plum pudding. It's been quite a while since I've been to the Cratchits.
    Has it, Bear? Or maybe you were making rather merry that day :-)
    GordonW
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Does anyone else like Yorkshire Pudding? 2005/12/23 21:48:26 (permalink)
    quote:

The Bear

Sometimes a Yorkshire pudding is just a Yorkshire pudding....
    ScreenBear
    RE: Does anyone else like Yorkshire Pudding? 2005/12/23 22:54:07 (permalink)
    Mac, Gordon,
    I'll drink to that.
    The Bear
    GordonW
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Does anyone else like Yorkshire Pudding? 2005/12/24 00:21:56 (permalink)
    And so, as Tiny Tim said, "A Merry Christmas to us all; God bless us, every one!"
    BrooklynBill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 189
    RE: Does anyone else like Yorkshire Pudding? 2005/12/30 11:15:09 (permalink)
    Back to the subject:

I love yorkshire pudding. It’s like having a thick, moist, un-popped popover with gravy.
    It is truly a lot better than my description.

I also like what porkbeaks contributed.

Bill
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4776
    RE: Does anyone else like Yorkshire Pudding? 2005/12/30 11:30:45 (permalink)
    I wish I was in jolly ol' England right now to enjoy it at a nice pub with a good English pint.
    Ashphalt
    • Total Posts : 1644
    RE: Does anyone else like Yorkshire Pudding? 2005/12/30 11:35:56 (permalink)
    It's true, most Americans seem to think Yorkshire Pudding is a sweet and more akin to a plum pudding. I was considering a rib roast and puddings (popover-style) from Cook's Illustrated for Christmas and one of my guests was disappointed because she wanted to try a new recipe for rice pudding!

Ended up doing Cook's Beef Burgundy instead because of the aforementioned timing issue. Wasn't sure when everyone would assemble and it's much easier to hold the stew and finish just before serving. Also had a fine burgundy kicking around from last Christmas. Dinner was great, but I'm still thinking about the Yorkshire Pudding.
    porkbeaks
    RE: Does anyone else like Yorkshire Pudding? 2005/12/30 12:57:14 (permalink)
    It seems that the only times I've made Yorkshire pudding is when we were having a rib roast and, considering the cost, that isn't too often. It occurred to me that, since the main requirement for authentic taste is the drippings, I could possibly achieve the same thing by rendering the fat trimmings the next time I bbq a beef brisket (packer cut). There is always more then enough fat so I could even freeze some for later use. I use a pop-over pan and it only takes a tablespoon or so of drippings for each "pudding".

Now I'm wondering if I could make variations using drippings from pork, chicken, etc.. Does that sound feasible? pb
    BrooklynBill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 189
    RE: Does anyone else like Yorkshire Pudding? 2005/12/31 06:17:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by porkbeaks

It seems that the only times I've made Yorkshire pudding is when we were having a rib roast and, considering the cost, that isn't too often. It occurred to me that, since the main requirement for authentic taste is the drippings, I could possibly achieve the same thing by rendering the fat trimmings the next time I bbq a beef brisket (packer cut). There is always more then enough fat so I could even freeze some for later use. I use a pop-over pan and it only takes a tablespoon or so of drippings for each "pudding".

Now I'm wondering if I could make variations using drippings from pork, chicken, etc.. Does that sound feasible? pb

It sounds very feasible. I think you have something!

Bill
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13939
    RE: Does anyone else like Yorkshire Pudding? 2005/12/31 08:17:33 (permalink)
    I have never had Yorkshire pudding before but it sure sounds good. I guess it is because I live in Knoxville.

Since I travel more now, I think the next time I am in a city that has a bigger selection of restaurants, I will request it.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5