Helpful ReplyHot!Does anyone still cook up hot cereal for Breakfast?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
the grillman
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 722
Re: Does anyone still cook up hot cereal for Breakfast? 2018/10/20 10:51:09 (permalink)
Yes, in the wintertime.   My teen son loves Cream of Wheat with sugar, milk, and cinnamon.   I'm partial to grits, butter, salt and pepper only.   Oatmeal...rolled oats are fine, but steel cut is so much better if I have time to make it.  I like it with a sprinkle of salt, a sprinkle of sugar, sometimes a hit of cinnamon. 
lazycook
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 18
Re: Does anyone still cook up hot cereal for Breakfast? 2018/10/20 21:54:24 (permalink)
I loved Malt-O-Meal as a kid, but my own kids would never eat any hot cereal.  Guess I just out of the habit.  
mar52
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11856
Re: Does anyone still cook up hot cereal for Breakfast? 2018/10/20 23:23:53 (permalink)
I need to buy some fat free half and half which no one has been able to explain to me.  The half and half.

I could use a bowl of Cream of Wheat.  It's soothing.
mlm
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 596
Re: Does anyone still cook up hot cereal for Breakfast? 2018/10/21 12:58:37 (permalink)
I've always liked oatmeal and grits and tried Malt o Meal years ago. I've never cared for the small grain cereal like Cream of Wheat and such. I think it may be the texture. Someday maybe I'll try it again and experiment with making it thicker. My mother always kept Cream of Wheat in the house and made it for herself from time to time. It was her favorite comfort food when she wasn't feeling well.
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9584
Re: Does anyone still cook up hot cereal for Breakfast? 2018/10/21 13:01:46 (permalink)
mlm
I've always liked oatmeal and grits and tried Malt o Meal years ago. I've never cared for the small grain cereal like Cream of Wheat and such. I think it may be the texture. Someday maybe I'll try it again and experiment with making it thicker. My mother always kept Cream of Wheat in the house and made it for herself from time to time. It was her favorite comfort food when she wasn't feeling well.

Yes don't like Farina or Malt o Meal runny or soft. Needs to have some body to it. Thick, then a little milk and sugar!
Dave S
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
Re: Does anyone still cook up hot cereal for Breakfast? 2018/10/21 14:47:55 (permalink)
I like Maltex, a distant relative of Maypo.
Not the near beer. Hard to find...
mlm
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 596
Re: Does anyone still cook up hot cereal for Breakfast? 2018/10/21 15:44:35 (permalink)
leethebard
mlm

Yes don't like Farina or Malt o Meal runny or soft. Needs to have some body to it. Thick, then a little milk and sugar!

Precisely. Mother liked it as per the directions but the last time I ate it that way was in the hospital when I was thirteen. I had just had my tonsils out and I guess they gave it to me as part of a thin diet but it made me gag which didn't help my throat. I felt cheated. I didn't get ice cream until I got home. Those who love Cream of Wheat, don't let me put you off your favorite. Bear in mind, I prefer really thick hot cereal almost like a real soft bread.
masarapba
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 14
Re: Does anyone still cook up hot cereal for Breakfast? 2018/11/13 02:01:24 (permalink)
Well, I love hot cereal but I don't cook it. I just buy the instant "add hot water" packets to save time and add hot milk and fruits on it. 
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5