Driving From Denver to Vail

Author
skat
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
2004/08/02 07:38:44 (permalink)

Driving From Denver to Vail

I apologise if this is a duplicate topic... I tried to search, but couldn't find anything similar.

My husband and I will be driving from Denver to Vail next month, right around lunchtime. Anywhere you would recommend we stop by?

6 Replies Related Threads

skat
    Junior Burger
    RE: Driving From Denver to Vail 2004/08/09 15:09:19 (permalink)
    (this is my official leaving-in-4-days bump)
    Varkman
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Driving From Denver to Vail 2004/08/09 15:29:16 (permalink)
    Well, this is not so much a restaurant suggestion as it is an alternative: I assume you'll be taking I-70 West, correct? I'd suggest you guys stock up on some stuff in Denver, then jump off I-70 onto Rt 6. and wind your way up to Loveland pass and have lunch up there. The scenery is outstanding! From what I remember, the Rt. 6 exit is about halfway to Vail from Denver, which would make it a good midpoint to stop.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15787
    RE: Driving From Denver to Vail 2004/08/09 15:30:07 (permalink)
    Skat,
    We have enjoyed a great ribeye sandwich at JENNIE'S in Empire CO. Not far off the I-70 at the U S 40 exit. Haven't been there for a couple of years...but when we commented about it recently on this site, someone came back with an "It's Still in business and as Good as ever", reply. Try it !
    AL
    Stephen Rushmore Jr.
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2164
    RE: Driving From Denver to Vail 2004/08/09 15:41:47 (permalink)
    I would recommend holding out on eating during that journey and save up for Sweet Basil in Vail.
    skat
    Junior Burger
    RE: Driving From Denver to Vail 2004/08/11 18:07:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Stephen Rushmore Jr.

I would recommend holding out on eating during that journey and save up for Sweet Basil in Vail.

Actually, I will be meeting family in Vail- and we'll be doing brunch on Saturday at Sweet Basil!

I've written down the other suggestions, although it seems I have my routes reversed. We'll actually fly into Vail, and drive into Avon. When we leave, we'll be driving from Avon to Denver. But I'm sure we'll be hungry then, too, lol...
    skat
    Junior Burger
    RE: Driving From Denver to Vail 2004/08/17 13:47:58 (permalink)
    I'm back. Unfortunately, I spent most of the trip (I was only there for 2 days) reeling about sickly from the altitude.

Sweet Basil was quite nice, but in all honesty, I probably would have been satisfied with my appetizer alone- white truffle french fries. The plate was huge, and they were incredible!

We drove by Empire, but alas, weren't hungry yet (it was only about 10AM). Lunch ended up being at the airport: my husband had some bbq at Red Rocks. It was Kansas City-style, which we discovered, wasn't to either of our tastes.

Then, I had some of a portabello sandwich at the French Bistro. Tasted okay, but didn't stay down long- and I have a stomach of iron.

Not my best eating trip, and I'm blaming it all on the altitude!

Thanks again for the advice, though!
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5