Hot!"Duncan Hines Family" Restaurant Reviews

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8009
Re: "Duncan Hines Family" Restaurant Reviews 2016/05/23 23:29:32 (permalink)
Nice choices, BB!  Were the asparagus spears at all tough?  Or were they just large?

I don't know about calling the blue crab hushpuppies "hushpuppies", though.  If I'm making something with crab I'm pretty sure the dog isn't getting any of it!
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 12012
Re: "Duncan Hines Family" Restaurant Reviews 2016/05/24 07:04:13 (permalink)
SC-
No, the asparagus spears were not tough at all.  Nor were they mushy.  As Goldilocks would say, they were just right!
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5024
Re: "Duncan Hines Family" Restaurant Reviews 2016/05/24 07:20:59 (permalink)
Nice find bb. That really does sound like a place Duncan would have enjoyed (not sure about hipster inspired Welsh rarebit 😉). I'll add the Welshfield Inn to the list tonight.

Jim
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: "Duncan Hines Family" Restaurant Reviews 2016/07/31 19:51:37 (permalink)
Pie Diva and I celebrated our Anniversary a month early this weekend with a trip to Williamsburg. We had other dinner plans each night so our lunch choice of Hine's approved restaurants in the colonial area was limited to Chowning's Tavern and Kings Arms Tavern. Because PD wanted the chicken pot pie, we chose The King's Arms.

There was some period entertainment as we awaited our meals.

We shared a bowl of their Peanut Soupe, a favorite of ours, and each ordered a Berry Shrub—Frosted cranberry juice and Raspberry Sorbet. Yes, real men drink Berry Shrubs.

I ordered A Made Dish of Beef for my meal. Our waiter said this this would have been common fare during the tavern's early days in the 18th Century.

"Tender Beef stewed in a rich red Wine Sauce, Pearl Onions, Carrots and Mushrooms put forth on goodly Mashed Potatoes." Goodly indeed, the meal was perfectly done.

Pie Diva's Norfolk Pottage Pye became Mrs. Vobe’s Southern Fried Chicken.

"Lightly spiced Skillet-fried Chicken, Cook’s Vegetables and Tavern fried Potatoes." Bobbi said the coating was tasty, but the (white) meat was a bit dry.

The King's Arms certainly has maintained standards that would still please Duncan Hines. The colonial setting makes it all the better.
post edited by JRPfeff - 2016/07/31 19:57:11
Louis
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1235
Re: "Duncan Hines Family" Restaurant Reviews 2016/08/01 09:22:54 (permalink)
That's a nice, short review.  Do you have a picture of the peanut soup?  I'm really crazy about that stuff.

ann peeples
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10305
Re: "Duncan Hines Family" Restaurant Reviews 2016/08/01 09:30:30 (permalink)
That beef looks fabulous, Jim...
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: "Duncan Hines Family" Restaurant Reviews 2016/08/01 10:15:55 (permalink)
Louis,

Here's a picture that I took after I started eating.

Jim

JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: "Duncan Hines Family" Restaurant Reviews 2016/08/07 14:15:13 (permalink)
The Contingent did our part by dining at the New Fox & Hounds restaurant in Hubertus, Wisconsin.

Upon arrival we entered a huge parking lot, which served as a clue to the restaurant's changing standards since being approved by Duncan Hines. The restaurant is massive inside, not the cozy place Duncan enjoyed.

The requisite Brandy Old Fashioned Sweets were very good and a bargain, $6.50 for this large glass.

I enjoyed my side salad topped with French dressing and blue cheese crumbles.

Pie Divas' pan fried walleye was disappointing. It was served without being thoroughly hot.

I enjoyed the King-Cut Prime Rib, very meaty and properly medium-rare, although it was nothing special tasting.

ScreamingChicken ate most of my broccoli when my plate was mistakenly placed in front of him. I thanked him, since I found the vegetables to be not worth eating.

I believe that in expanding the scale of Fox & Hounds to become the New Fox & Hounds, they lost something that made the restaurant special. They are not so much a traditional supper club and are now more of a banquet hall serving supper club style meals. They are very popular and successful, but I believe Duncan would give today's restaurant a pass.

More info is at the Contingent Supper Club thread.
post edited by JRPfeff - 2016/08/07 14:23:26
lleechef
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11450
Re: "Duncan Hines Family" Restaurant Reviews 2016/08/07 14:50:16 (permalink)
What are the round orange things on the dinner plates?  Some kind of mutant carrot?
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: "Duncan Hines Family" Restaurant Reviews 2016/08/07 14:55:30 (permalink)
Special carrots that cannot be speared with a fork.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: "Duncan Hines Family" Restaurant Reviews 2016/08/07 15:10:48 (permalink)
And chilling them overnight in the fridge doesn't help.

However, once I got them into her bowl the dog loved them.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6652
Re: "Duncan Hines Family" Restaurant Reviews 2016/08/07 16:35:15 (permalink)
lleechef
What are the round orange things on the dinner plates?  Some kind of mutant carrot?

JRPfeff
Special carrots that cannot be speared with a fork.

ScreamingChicken
And chilling them overnight in the fridge doesn't help.

However, once I got them into her bowl the dog loved them.

Whatever they are we have them here in Texas, too.  The ones I have had were cooked sufficiently to "spear".  They are sweet and delicious; no wonder the dog loved them!

Edit:  Great pics, too.  Thanks!
lleechef
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11450
Re: "Duncan Hines Family" Restaurant Reviews 2016/08/07 17:03:57 (permalink)
Whew!  At least the dog could eat them.  They look......well........scary.  But the rest of your meals look great!
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: "Duncan Hines Family" Restaurant Reviews 2016/08/08 17:28:28 (permalink)
JRP, you asked me to tell you when I was planning on visiting Der Rathskeller and with Mrs. C working this Saturday I'm considering the possibility of a late lunch or early dinner.

We could even ask that one guy if he wants to come along.  I forget his name, but he sells that doctored-up ketchup out of the trunk of his car.
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: "Duncan Hines Family" Restaurant Reviews 2016/08/08 17:32:20 (permalink)
Thanks for the invitation Brad, but I'm in NC this weekend. Good luck with the hotdog sauce guy.
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: "Duncan Hines Family" Restaurant Reviews 2016/12/23 21:38:18 (permalink)

I borrowed the above photo from the JSOnline review. It was dark and snowy when we arrived at the Red Circle Inn, so a picture was not going to happen. I said in October that we'd make Red Circle Inn a holiday date night and this is it.

We started with a drink each and were promptly served a basket of fresh baked dinner rolls. The rolls were wonderful, slightly crisp on the outside with a very soft interior. Our waiter offered a second basket and we accepted.

Our meals included the choice of soup or salad. Pie Diva was not thrilled with her fish soup, but my salad with strawberry vinaigrette, walnuts and dried cranberries was among the best side salads I've ever been offered.

We each ordered the dishes we picked from the menu back in October. I had the grilled pork chop with pear sauce. My plate was not this pretty, but I think I had more potatoes and cabbage on my plate. The pork was remarkably tender. I suspect that they brine it before grilling.

Pie Diva ordered the whitefish, which is a favorite fish of hers. She remarked on how fresh the fish tasted and loved the meal. The potato pancakes were perfect, too, crispy with a creamy interior (Sorry about that funky photo).

Our waiter, Omar, insisted that it was our anniversary and brought us a complimentary dessert to go with the Grand Marnier Souffle that we ordered. It actually was the 35th anniversary of our first date, so Omar was not far off. It snowed that night too, so in keeping with tradition, Pie Diva will push my car out of the snow to get me started on my drive home.

The souffle was wonderfully light and tasty (still nothing can compare to the Grand Marnier Souffle at Cafe Europa in 1984).

I thought their maple version of creme brulee was a nice change from the usual.

We hadn't dined at Red Circle Inn in almost 20 years. It seemed expensive to us at that time and we had an off night with one of the entrees on our second visit. Tonight's meal (2 drinks, 2 entrees & 2 desserts) was just $73 before gratuity which seems like a bargain to me today. We think our next visit will be to their bistro (the bar) which offers some different appetizers and entrees from the main dining room.

Duncan Hines got the Red Circle Inn correct and it has stood the test of time extremely well.
post edited by JRPfeff - 2016/12/23 21:48:43
ann peeples
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10305
Re: "Duncan Hines Family" Restaurant Reviews 2016/12/24 17:24:10 (permalink)
Sounds like a wonderful meal!
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: "Duncan Hines Family" Restaurant Reviews 2017/05/26 09:12:00 (permalink)
Last night Pie Diva and I ate at The Villa at Heaven City. This is the latest incarnation of Heaven City School where Duncan Hines had dined in the 1930's. Here is some information on the restaurant from the Surviving "Duncan Hines Family" Restaurants thread.

I like to ask the staff at these old DH recommended stops if they know who Duncan was or anything of the restaurants history. The bartenders last night did not know about Duncan's reputation as a food critic, but had some interesting stories about the restaurant's past.

They said that when the "School" failed as a commune/business, the Rev. Moore created other revenue generating ventures. In one, the Reverend would marry "couples" for a weekend, then annul the marriages. Many of these "couples" had recently met, maybe even at the bar, but being married, it was not legally considered prostitution. That was likely enough reason for Duncan to remove his recommendation for the restaurant.

Last night this "couple" had a very good beef starter at the bar, and we each started our sit down meals with this dense mushroom soup. There was a wide variety of mushrooms in the soup and it was excellent.

The entrees were hit or miss. Although we ordered different dishes, they each came with the same potatoes and vegetables. Bobbi's filets were very good, but her shrimp were nothing great. My sous vide pork medallions were tender and tasty.

Although we enjoyed the meals, service was painfully slow, something that's been noted in other online reviews. There were only four tables with diners, so we could only imagine how it would be on a busy night.

The place below never would have made a Duncan Hines' list. The National Liquor Bar was the quintessential Milwaukee dive bar until it closed in 2005. A previous owner of Heaven City bought the NLB's neon sign and installed it in Mukwonago.

post edited by JRPfeff - 2017/05/26 10:51:34
Wintahaba
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 722
Re: "Duncan Hines Family" Restaurant Reviews 2017/05/26 13:42:10 (permalink)
Good Stuff....Were they out of Wagyu Tomahawk Chop? I LOVE that Neon...Thanks!
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: "Duncan Hines Family" Restaurant Reviews 2017/05/26 15:06:51 (permalink)
I saw the $89 or $99 ribeye on the menu. Out of my price range last night.
Louis
Re: "Duncan Hines Family" Restaurant Reviews 2017/05/27 07:33:09 (permalink)
Ha!  That's a great sign!  No question of what is served there!

ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: "Duncan Hines Family" Restaurant Reviews 2017/05/27 22:28:56 (permalink)
JRPfeff
Although we enjoyed the meals, service was painfully slow, something that's been noted in other online reviews. There were only four tables with diners, so we could only imagine how it would be on a busy night.

On a slow night it can sometimes be a bit tough for the front of the house to get into a rhythm.  It's been over 30 years since I last bussed a table but I can remember busy Friday and Saturday nights (especially when Syndicated Sound was playing the lounge) having a really good flow; we were busy but everything moved and moved well.
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: "Duncan Hines Family" Restaurant Reviews 2017/08/11 22:58:09 (permalink)
Another day, another Duncan Hines' recommended restaurant.

I didn't even think about this being a DH place until Pie Diva ordered her cocktail, a Fleur de Lis, which was a $5 Happy Hour special. This is a tribute by Bacchus to the restaurant's previous incarnation as Fleur de Lis, a fine French restaurant in downtown Milwaukee. From the 1959 online edition:
Fleur de Lis. 925 E. Wells. In the center of town. 7:30 to 1 A.M. Closed Christmas Eve and Day. New Year's Eve. A.C. The restaurant has 17th Century French decor. B., $1.00-$1.50; L., $1.85-$2.50; D., $3.50-$5.50. L. Tel. BR 2-2130.

Other Happy Hour specials were Brandy Old Fashioneds and a choice of wines. The Deviled Eggs were complementary and awesome, made with blue cheese and Sriracha.

We shared a Spanish themed appetizer board of Iberian ham, olives, and Marcona almonds.

Our daughter and her husband shared this bowl of sweet corn risotto with Spanish chorizo, another great choice.

I had the seared Bluefin Tuna with avocado purée, fried jasmine rice cake, baby bok choy, and sweet soy glaze. A nice non-meat meal for me (very, very unusual).

Pie Diva's Filet Mignon with wild mushrooms, potato mousseline, Bourbon peppercorn cream was an excellent choice. We agreed that her steak was as good as anything we ever get at a steakhouse.

Since dad was buying, our daughter and son-in-law shared the Chef's Cut for Two.

Their entree was served in a cast iron pan, and consisted of a large lobster tail and a New York Strip. Their meal included several sides, including a Big Boy portion of truffled mac & cheese.

Pistachio St. Honoré – pistachio cream, honey chantilly, raspberry gelée, candied pistachio.

Browned butter financier. Each dessert was greatly enjoyed.

Bacchus may be our favorite of The Bartolotta Restaurants, and certainly one of our top choices of all restaurants in Milwaukee. Not likely to be confused with RoadFood, but it would definitely maintain its status as Recommended by Duncan Hines.
post edited by JRPfeff - 2017/08/12 10:12:57
Louis
Re: "Duncan Hines Family" Restaurant Reviews 2017/08/12 12:50:26 (permalink)
Next time I come up that way, I'll have to go there.  It looks really good.

JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: "Duncan Hines Family" Restaurant Reviews 2017/09/02 12:21:08 (permalink)
We celebrated our Anniversary (again) last night at Palmer's Steakhouse in Hartland. Duncan Hines ate at this location when it was Haselow's Fine Foods. The food is still fine, especially our 8 ounce Filet Mignons with mushrooms. The plates had a pool of butter, making these authentic Wisconsin Butter Steaks (Solly beware).

The meat was cooked to medium rare with a perfect charred crust and the mushrooms were especially tasty. Our waitress said they just saute the mushrooms in butter. Our meals included soup or salad; and a choice of potato, pasta, or vegetable. All for only $32.

Palmer's really had the feel of an older time, when Duncan and his friends could be found dining here. I say Palmer's would still earn Duncan Hines' recommendation.
post edited by JRPfeff - 2017/09/02 15:37:04
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: "Duncan Hines Family" Restaurant Reviews 2017/09/02 15:47:05 (permalink)
JRPfeff
The food is still fine, especially our 8 ounce Filet Mignons with mushrooms. The plates had a pool of butter, making these authentic Wisconsin Butter Steaks (Solly beware).

A veritable paucity of delectable fungi.  Hopefully you'd already eaten 4 or 5 before the photo was taken.
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: "Duncan Hines Family" Restaurant Reviews 2017/09/02 17:49:32 (permalink)
SC - That's all we got. But they were included in the price, so no complaints here.
Louis
Re: "Duncan Hines Family" Restaurant Reviews 2017/09/04 07:36:39 (permalink)
A Wisconsin butter steak!   Now that's my kind of steak!

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5