Hot!"Duncan Hines Family" Restaurant Reviews

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4612
2016/05/04 20:30:45 (permalink)

"Duncan Hines Family" Restaurant Reviews

Here is another chance for you to participate in my Duncan Hines obsession. If you take my challenge to dine at a Surviving Duncan Hines Recommended restaurant, please post your photos and reviews in this thread.

I believe we can greatly expand the knowledge of the remaining Duncan Hines recommended restaurants this way. Your opinions will be noted in the survivors list to indicate which restaurants are still "Recommended by Duncan Hines" and which restaurants no longer pass Duncan Hines’ muster.

Unless you dine at Commander's Palace, you are excused if you decline to request an inspection of the restaurant's kitchen. Although I don't know if Louis will consider you a true Dinner Detective.

Bon Appétit
post edited by JRPfeff - 2016/05/04 20:48:08

49 Replies Related Threads

Louis
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1035
    Re: "Duncan Hines Family" Restaurant Reviews 2016/05/04 23:37:04 (permalink)
    I think this is a good idea.  I would be very interested to see what everyone reports.

buffetbuster
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 11934
    Re: "Duncan Hines Family" Restaurant Reviews 2016/05/05 22:18:02 (permalink)
    I have been needing to hit the local outlets for a while now, so last night I made the 45 minute drive north to Grove City, PA.  Instead of dining at one of the usual spots, either Iron Bridge or Rachel's Roadhouse (note to WJ, these are sister restaurants to Log Cabin), I drove a little further to the town of New Wilmington and dined at The Tavern.

When last dining here, I had no idea that this was a surviving member from Duncan Hines' guide books, but was aware that they had been listed in an early edition of Roadfood.  Those are two rather impressive listings on any restaurant's resume!

This is major Amish country and I passed at least a half dozen horse and buggies.  The Tavern

is located on a corner in the heart of town.  There is a large parking behind the restaurant, but it seems there is no back entrance.  You need to walk around to enter the front door.

Plans to ask the age of the place was scrapped, as it is front and center on the tall, skinny menu. 

Since reading this article, I now know that it was a stop on the Underground Railroad, which is very cool.  BTW, the name is misleading, since New Wilmington is a dry town.  Near the front door is all kinds of Amish quilts and other items for sale, along with the specials board.

The interior

could best be described as quaint and I'm glad they don't overdo the Amish theme.  In the middle of the table, they have a guest book,

which you don't see very often.  Someone really loves their famous sticky buns!

When deciding what to order, I tried to go with something that was most likely on the menu back when Duncan Hines would have dined here.  That led to what the menu lists as the top two sellers,

chicken and biscuits and ham loaf.  There were easily a dozen or so items that were appealing, but decided on one of those two items.  My young waiter complicated things by relaying that they also had a "secret special".  This was stuffed cabbage and they only had two portions left.  Crap, now I want that, too.

This left me no choice but to order two dinners.  My waiter offered to go ahead and box one up to go, but I told him to bring both out and I would decide which one to eat here.  First thing out was the French onion soup. 

This is a soup I didn't particularly care for when younger, but has grown on me as I've gotten older.  Many restaurants serve these too hot, in massive portions, with so much cheese that it sticks to the outside of the bowl.  This was a much more understated version that was had a pleasant, slightly sweet oniony flavor and at the right temperature that I could eat right away.

Since there would be two dinners, that meant two of their famous sticky buns. 

These are as sweet as they look and they remind of the pecan rolls you buy in grocery stores, only without the pecans.  These are indeed tasty, but it seems strange to have something this sweet at the beginning of the meal.

Dinner number one was the ham loaf,

a dish I don't see nearly often enough and couldn't possibly pass up.  This is a thick block (actually two slices stacked on top of each other), that comes with a sweet pineapple sauce on the side.  Potato choices include scalloped and who could pass that up?  As good as that looked, the stuffed cabbage dinner

had even more eye appeal.  The meat inside the cabbage was dense squares of ground meat mixed with rice and made so much better by the tangy red tomato sauce.  Mashed potatoes were the obvious choice for this dish as it allows for even more of that delicious sauce.  The green beans, cooked until soft, were also enjoyable.  I hate squeaky green beans!  I ate the stuffed cabbage dinner here, along with the scalloped potatoes and had the ham loaf and green beans boxed to go.  They were devoured for dinner tonight.

Certainly dessert is a big thing in Amish Country and they have plenty of good options. 

The obvious thing would be the coconut cream pie, but I was in the mood for something different.  Here is the hot apple dumpling, topped with cinnamon sauce, vanilla ice cream and whipped cream. 

This photo does little to show just how monstrous this was.  I did my best, but still did not come anywhere near finishing dessert.

My waiter was a young guy named Kevin who did a great job of taking care of me.  He was a student at nearby Westminster College and we know what fine, upstanding people those are, right lleechef?  Before leaving, I needed to use the facilities, which are up the stairs.  While walking up, I had a feeling of discomfort come over me.  In a place this old, it makes you wonder, is the building haunted?  Could I have been feeling a spectral presence from another world?  No, it was just trying to climb stairs after eating the better part of two meals!

My meal was so good that there is little doubt that Duncan Hines would still give his approval.  To be honest, it was good enough that it could very easily be written up here on Roadfood.  It is great to see that this place is still going strong after all of these years.

The Tavern
    108 N. Market Street
    New Wilmington, PA
    724-946-2020
    post edited by buffetbuster - 2016/05/05 23:03:54
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 9867
    Re: "Duncan Hines Family" Restaurant Reviews 2016/05/05 22:37:47 (permalink)
    buffetbuster

Thanks for the write up on The Tavern. I was intrigued when I purchased my first Roadfood and Goodfood book while still living in New York and kick myself for not visiting when I lived in Pittsburgh

Ironically I had ham loaf when we were in Amish country prior to visiting Pittsburgh. Even more ironic it was at a Greek owned restaurant called the Brickerville House near Lititz that just happened to serve Amish Cuisine. The reason why we we went was because it was one of the few restaurants open Sunday evening the food was fairly solid too. 
    Your apple dumpling looks fabulous. That was something that eluded us in West Virginia. We tried to order it on our first visit to Diehl's but they had just run out. It was available on our visit to Diehl's the following evening but we had shared a blackberry cobbler at Hillbilly Hotdogs earlier for lunch and I didn't want to do dessert twice in one day. On our last visit to Diehl's the following day (prior to driving to Pittsburgh)  the apple dumping was  not on the dessert menu that day but we ended up sharing an even better blackberry cobbler 

BTW, we really enjoyed The Log Cabin
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 22410
    Re: "Duncan Hines Family" Restaurant Reviews 2016/05/05 22:42:07 (permalink)
    That ham loaf looks wonderful, and you got the scalloped potatoes with it. Here's the deal. I never had ham loaf till about a year ago when lleechef made it -- with scalloped potatoes (of course, she said). It seems it's a big Western Pennsylvania dish. And, as it turns out, it's as delicious as all the other Western Pennsylvania dishes she's introduced me to. You people eat good!
    Louis
    Re: "Duncan Hines Family" Restaurant Reviews 2016/05/05 23:21:06 (permalink)
    Yes, I think Duncan Hines would still approve of this restaurant, especially after looking at those mouth-watering photos.  Hines wrote that there were certain restaurant meals that would make a man wish for hollow legs, and your review proves his point!

rumaki
    • Total Posts : 1372
    Re: "Duncan Hines Family" Restaurant Reviews 2016/05/06 01:21:04 (permalink)
    Truly delicious-looking and a great trip report, BB.  

However, I could never have resisted the Coconut Cream Pie!  As long as you were eating two meals, you should have had two desserts, as well!
    JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    Re: "Duncan Hines Family" Restaurant Reviews 2016/05/06 07:13:08 (permalink)
    buffetbuster - I bought Bobbi a copy of Duncan Hines' cookbook. When she leafed through it she told me, "Boy that man sure loved ham." I got the same impression when reading the Hines biography. It is pretty certain that the ham loaf was on his plate at least once.

Jim
    buffetbuster
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re: "Duncan Hines Family" Restaurant Reviews 2016/05/06 07:48:41 (permalink)
    rumaki
    Truly delicious-looking and a great trip report, BB.  

However, I could never have resisted the Coconut Cream Pie!  As long as you were eating two meals, you should have had two desserts, as well!

rumaki-
    Since my shopping was after the dinner, the coconut cream pie would have been sitting out for 2 1/2 hours before reaching my home refrigerator.  Trust me, I thought long and hard about that important decision!
    buffetbuster
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re: "Duncan Hines Family" Restaurant Reviews 2016/05/06 08:09:20 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman
    That ham loaf looks wonderful, and you got the scalloped potatoes with it. Here's the deal. I never had ham loaf till about a year ago when lleechef made it -- with scalloped potatoes (of course, she said). It seems it's a big Western Pennsylvania dish. And, as it turns out, it's as delicious as all the other Western Pennsylvania dishes she's introduced me to. You people eat good!

I never thought about that as a Western Pennsylvania thing, but then I don't think I have had that ham loaf/scalloped potatoes combination away from here.  Another good place to get that is Mehlman's Cafeteria in St. Clairsville, OH.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 9867
    Re: "Duncan Hines Family" Restaurant Reviews 2016/05/06 08:21:00 (permalink)
    buffetbuster
    Michael Hoffman

I never thought about that as a Western Pennsylvania thing, but then I don't think I have had that ham loaf/scalloped potatoes combination away from here.  Another good place to get that is Mehlman's Cafeteria in St. Clairsville, OH.

I don't think it is either, I don't recall seeing it anywhere when I lived in Pittsburgh. It is an Amish thing though, as all of the Amish Restaurants in Lancaster and Berks County have it on the menu. I never tried it until I visited the Brickerville House on our most recent trip.
    Ralph Melton
    • Total Posts : 1081
    Re: "Duncan Hines Family" Restaurant Reviews 2016/05/06 11:25:29 (permalink)
    Man, that looks great. I have to go up there to confirm your results.
    lleechef
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 11355
    Re: "Duncan Hines Family" Restaurant Reviews 2016/05/06 13:00:13 (permalink)
    When I saw on Instagram that buffetbuster had eaten at The Tavern I was thrilled!  I was even MORE thrilled when I asked how it was and his reply was, "Outstanding!"  During my 4 years in New Wilmington I ate there many, many, many times and I'm glad the food is still good.  Not only did us smart Westminster folks have great food in the cafeteria........steak every Saturday, an ice cream sundae bar every evening........we also had a great place in town to eat when our folks came to visit!

I never thought of ham loaf as being unique.  We had it at home, we had it at church suppers.  I guess I figured everybody ate ham loaf.  It was as normal to me as meatloaf.  It was a dish from my younger days that I had forgotten about for at least 30 years.  MH and I were in Carfagna's (our Italian specialty store and meat market) about a year ago and in the meat case they had ham loaf.......already mixed, in an aluminum loaf pan, ready to bake.  I asked the butcher if I could buy just ground ham.  They had it in 1lb. packages........and so I started making ham loaf!  We love that dish.  MH once asked, "couldn't you make another potato?"  Nope.  Scalloped only.  Dem's da rules!
    icecreamchick
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 123
    Re: "Duncan Hines Family" Restaurant Reviews 2016/05/06 15:22:34 (permalink)
    Wonderful writeup! I look forward to joining Ralph on a field trip to check it out! :-)

lleechef
    Porterhouse
    Re: "Duncan Hines Family" Restaurant Reviews 2016/05/06 18:36:04 (permalink)
    icecreamchick
    Wonderful writeup! I look forward to joining Ralph on a field trip to check it out! :-)

When you two go, give yourselves some time to check out Volant which is not far from New Wilmington. 
    When I went to Westminster this little town had a church and some farms.  I was the choir director of the church for two years, my junior and senior years in college.  I understand that now it is an "Amish Destination" with many "quaint shops"  which immediately makes me shudder and think "TOURIST".  But you could always give a look and report back! 
    JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    Re: "Duncan Hines Family" Restaurant Reviews 2016/05/07 08:35:04 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

Michael,

Ham Loaf isn't an Ohio specialty?

The Adventures in Good Cooking cookbook includes a Ham Loaf recipe from the Fort Hayes Hotel in Columbus.

Jim
    ann peeples
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10232
    Re: "Duncan Hines Family" Restaurant Reviews 2016/05/07 12:28:12 (permalink)
    My Mom made wonderful ham loaf. But she had Pennsylvania dutch relatives and perhaps learned from her great grandmother. My Mom was an adventurous cook and learned from all her relatives.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re: "Duncan Hines Family" Restaurant Reviews 2016/05/07 12:40:45 (permalink)
    JRPfeff
    Michael Hoffman

Michael,

Ham Loaf isn't an Ohio specialty?

The Adventures in Good Cooking cookbook includes a Ham Loaf recipe from the Fort Hayes Hotel in Columbus.

Jim

It's possible that it's an Ohio specialty, but I never had it till lleechef made it. And I sure never heard of it growing up in Connecticut. FYI: The Fort Hayes Hotel was demolished in the '70s.
    MetroplexJim
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6333
    Re: "Duncan Hines Family" Restaurant Reviews 2016/05/07 21:51:43 (permalink)
    BB, thanks!

For all sorts of reasons, so some random, rotating comments ...

As I always thought the 'sweet stuff' before dinner was a German thing I'm surprised you were unfamiliar with such. 

I'm only guessing, but I assume that Cora Durrast, the founder of The Tavern (as a restaurant), served them as a nod to the Amish.  Truth is, the only other time I have encountered such (complimentary sweet rolls before dinner) was at the late Hogate's seafood restaurant on the Maine Ave. waterfront in WDC.

BTW:  I'm glad to see the present owners have kept much the original bill of fare, including Chef Dean's ham load and Cora's chicken divan.  We knew Cora well from church and I can still see Dean in my mind's eye, though I forget his last name.

As New Wilmington was my hometown for both high school and college (nearly a decade before lleechef) and as my parents were residents until their passing, we dined many times at The Tavern and never had a bad experience.  It was always simple food done very well - I loved your comments about the onion soup and green beans being done properly. 

When we moved to New Wilmington from Washington, PA in 1962 we were very impressed by the 'Recommended by Duncan Hines' sign hanging outside the Tavern's front door.  "Back in the day" that was equivalent to a rating by le Guide Michelin!  And, back then, the prices were relatively expensive; today probably a tad pricey, but no so much as I suspect The Tavern remains a truffle and prime beef-free zone as well as being 'dry'.

Goodness, I'm geezing ... so, thanks again, Cliff, for your thoughtful and kind review.

BTW to lleechef:  Volant, PA is indeed quite different than it was; my daughter-in-law calls it "The place where the Dutch and Christmas met ... and exploded!".  Two brothers a little behind me in high school were behind both the transmogrification of Volant and the Iron Bridge and Rachel's Roadhouse.  Their original 3 locations on Rt. 19 were as close as they could come to New Wilmington and still sell booze!
    post edited by MetroplexJim - 2016/05/08 11:48:53
    lleechef
    Porterhouse
    Re: "Duncan Hines Family" Restaurant Reviews 2016/05/08 01:04:32 (permalink)
    MJ
    I was hoping you would chime in on this one!  Yes, I would agree with you that we thought The Tavern was expensive.  That's why we all waited for our parents to show up and take us there!  I am just very glad that the food is still good.

As for Volant........I knew that little nothing of a town had turned into a 24/7 Christmas Tree Shoppe, more or less.  I just thought that if Ralph and Lori ventured up there it was worth a stop.  Haven't been there since 1978 when there were just horses and buggies and farms! 

I happen to really like Iron Bridge Inn, Rachel's Roadhouse and Log Cabin.  All good eateries.   
    buffetbuster
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re: "Duncan Hines Family" Restaurant Reviews 2016/05/17 00:28:54 (permalink)
    Last Friday night I picked up Mariton at her house in Canonsburg and we made the short drive to Washington, PA.  The dining room at the George Washington Hotel was on JRPfeff's list of surviving Duncan Hines' restaurants, so we stopped in for dinner. 

This hotel has recently been renovated.  What I should say is parts of it has been renovated and the lobby

looks great.  While we were chatting with the woman at the desk, a maintenance man named Eric offered to give us a tour.  We did not get a chance to see any of the hotel rooms, nor the upstairs ballroom (Washington High School was using it for their prom), but Eric still was nice enough to spend a good 20 minutes or so with us.  There is a large oval room downstairs and he pointed out the spot where JFK stood while giving a speech.  When the subject of is the place haunted came up, he mentioned that weird things happen in the basement, where (he said) 43 people were killed in a boiler explosion.  43?  That sounds like a really high amount, but who knows.  Tragic, nonetheless.

The website shows a very attractive dining room, but we were told the only restaurant was Bradford's Brick Oven.  Here is the brick oven

and they have this seating area

nearby, but this area has no waitress service.  You have to order in the bar and eat there.  Less than ideal, but we weren't going to let that stop us.

First out was the wings. 

I thought they were a little undercooked, but we think almost all wings are undercooked, so we are probably just being fussy.  Since they have the brick oven, we mind as well order a pizza and here is their Meatzilla,

with capicola, salami, bacon, ham, pepperoni and Italian sausage.  On the plus side, they were generous with the amount of toppings, but the pizza was greasy, it got cold quickly and we could never get used to the taste of the provolone cheese.  We only ate about half of it and the rest went uneaten in the frig over the weekend before getting thrown out.  We both said there was no reason for us to return.

Based on this meal and the menu, I would guess that this place would no longer be up to the Adventures in Good Eating standards. 

We spent time in Marietta, Ohio on Saturday and Sunday, with hopes to enjoy a meal in the Gun Room of the historic Lafayette Hotel.  Unfortunately, we ran out of time.  We did take a quick look inside the dining room

and it certainly looks nice.

We did enjoy a nice dinner at Spats, the restaurant inside The Blennerhasset in Parkersburg, WV.  I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see that show up in one of the Duncan Hines books.  If someone finds that it did, I will be happy to post about that meal.
    post edited by buffetbuster - 2016/05/17 00:32:43
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 11930
    Re: "Duncan Hines Family" Restaurant Reviews 2016/05/17 00:48:56 (permalink)
    We lived in Belpre OH when I worked across the river in Parkersburg in the late '60's and would go up to Marietta on special occasions to eat at the Lafayette. A Riverboat used to stop near the hotel on it's trip up & down the river. Like going back in time!
    buffetbuster
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re: "Duncan Hines Family" Restaurant Reviews 2016/05/17 00:58:29 (permalink)
    Foodbme-
    Glad this brought back some pleasant memories for you.  They still have a couple of riverboats on display just outside the Ohio River Museum in Marietta.

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re: "Duncan Hines Family" Restaurant Reviews 2016/05/17 13:55:23 (permalink)
    I don't know whether they still do it, but they used to make their own wonderful corned beef hash for breakfasts in the Gun Room at the Lafayette.
    Ralph Melton
    • Total Posts : 1081
    Re: "Duncan Hines Family" Restaurant Reviews 2016/05/17 14:31:33 (permalink)
    buffetbuster, you've scooped me! We went to the George Washington Hotel on Sunday. It turns out that Bradford's Brick Oven is closed on Sunday, so not only did you get there first, you got better data than we did. (I saw nothing to contradict your conclusion that this no longer meets Duncan Hines' standards.)

George Washington Hotel by Ralph Melton, on Flickr
    George Washington by Ralph Melton, on Flickr

So we went to Breezy Heights Tavern on the basis of a brochure that mentioned private booths and unusual taxidermy.

Each booth has an archway guarding the entrance. I suspect that at one time, there might have been curtains across the arches, as I've seen in old movies and at Tadich Grill.
    Breezy Heights Tavern by Ralph Melton, on Flickr

The taxidermy was indeed much more vigorous than usual. Lori was dismayed to realize that the lion was mounted in the act of snapping a gazelle's neck. I wasn't bothered by that, but I got very sad about the elephant ears under glass at the largest tables.
    Taxidermy at Breezy Heights Tavern by Ralph Melton, on Flickr

We started off with wedding soup that was pretty good and cheese sticks that were better than average.
    Breezy Heights Tavern by Ralph Melton, on Flickr
    Untitled by Ralph Melton, on Flickr

Lori ordered the hot roast beef sandwich. Not bad, but she found it a bit too salty to finish.
    Untitled by Ralph Melton, on Flickr

I ordered the broasted chicken because it was listed as a specialty on the menu. It was quite good; we felt this was the best dish of the evening. It came with one side, and I ordered green bean casserole, because I rarely see green bean casserole on a menu. It turns out that there might be a reason it's not more common - this was bland in flavor and texture. If you imagine a caricature of an institutional lunch, with the dreary 'splorch' of uninspired food dolloped out by uninspired cooks, you can perfectly imagine this green bean casserole. It wasn't actually bad - I finished it because I clean my plate by habit - but it certainly wasn't a culinary masterpiece. It would have benefited a great deal from the addition of the crunchy onions that usually top green bean casserole.
    Broasted Chicken, Breezy Heights Tavern by Ralph Melton, on Flickr

The turtle pie was probably bought from Sysco. My one doubt is that I know that it's possible to make a homemade turtle pie that tastes like it was bought from Sysco, so it's possible that this was such a pie.
    Turtle Pie by Ralph Melton, on Flickr

The dining room has a beautiful view out onto their driving range and mini golf course. I have a soft spot in my heart for a good miniature golf course. This one wasn't open now, and I'm not sure what sort of condition it's in. The windmill seemed to be recently painted and in good repair - and it's very hard to find a mini golf course that still has a working windmill. But the greens were badly ripped up in places - the carpet was almost completely ripped up on the back half of hole 7. I might like to drive out there to play, but I would definitely want to call ahead to confirm that it had been fixed up and was open for business.
    Mini golf, Breezy Heights Tavern by Ralph Melton, on Flickr

post edited by Ralph Melton - 2016/05/17 15:00:58
    JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    Re: "Duncan Hines Family" Restaurant Reviews 2016/05/17 14:41:08 (permalink)
    Okay then. Pennsylvania is leading the nation in revisiting Duncan's restaurants by a long shot.
    Louis
    Re: "Duncan Hines Family" Restaurant Reviews 2016/05/17 16:47:18 (permalink)
    Thank you Cliff and Mariton for eating at the George Washington Hotel and taking a gastronomic bullet for the team.  Without your sacrifice, there would be a lot of disappointed people going there and wondering why the food wasn't up to Duncan Hines standards.  Seems like you found better things to eat at the Gun Room at the Lafayette Hotel---and Ralph and Lori found some broasted chicken at the Breezy Heights Tavern.   At least they weren't wasted trips.

ThanksfortheCrepes
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 103
    Re: "Duncan Hines Family" Restaurant Reviews 2016/05/18 04:17:17 (permalink)
    I think I may have found another one that exists in NC that was recommended by DH in the 1959 online edition of "Adventures in Good Eating"!

It is called "Melrose Lodge" in his book, but it is now called "Marilyn's Historic Melrose Inn". Here's a Yelp link and a Trip Advisor link. It still sounds DH worthy to me. I would love to stay there and eat. The prices sound pretty reasonable for these days, and the reviews are glowing. It sounds like a perfect place to stay if one is going to the Biltmore tour in Asheville, NC.

How did this guy find so many amazing restaurants that survive to this day because they were doing stuff right? Wow! He was sure the traveling partner you wanted if you love food and good treatment when you're on the road.
    buffetbuster
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re: "Duncan Hines Family" Restaurant Reviews 2016/05/23 22:43:10 (permalink)
    Ralph-
    Sorry to read you were TTM'ed at Bradford's Brick Oven, but you didn't really miss much.  No doubt you had a much better meal at Breezy Heights Tavern.  Without a doubt, one of the weirdest places we know.
    buffetbuster
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re: "Duncan Hines Family" Restaurant Reviews 2016/05/23 23:12:47 (permalink)
    We were invited by BuddyRoadhouse to meet him in Cleveland over this past weekend and since we had no plans, we were happy to make the two hour drive.

Before driving home on Sunday, we stopped at the Welshfield Inn, just southeast of the city.  It is located in Amish Country and is an Adventures in Good Dining survivor.  The building looks to be a former mansion,

with a circular driveway up front.  We had the option of sitting on their attractive back patio,

but we aren't much for sitting outside.

The menu is full of old-fashioned comfort classics and I could have easily ordered a dozen of so entrees and been happy.  We both started with soup, Mariton with an extra cheesy version of French onion,

while I had the flavorful chicken and dumpling.

Though doubtful it would have been on the menu when Duncan Hines dined here last, we couldn't pass up an appetizer of blue crab hushpuppies. 

No surprise it was light on crab, but we enjoyed the faint sweetness of the hushpuppies and the spicy tarter combination.

Mariton went with a dish I have never seen on a menu before, Welsh(field) Rarebit,

here made with lobster and a lobster cream sauce.  This was on the breakfast side of the brunch menu and she was pleased that it wasn't an overly large portion size.  She is very picky about her seafood and she said the lobster tasted fresh to her.

Eschewing favorites such as pot roast, stroganoff and fried lake perch, I finally settled on the crispy pork loin schnitzel.  

Fried perfectly, this would have been a home run except the lemon hollandaise sauce didn't work very well with the schnitzel.  The asparagus that accompanied both our dishes was much larger than any spears either of us had seen before.

We both felt this was the type of place that would make excellent homemade desserts and that proved to be true.  The chocolate and raspberry combination is a major weakness, so we ordered the chocolate raspberry addiction,

which was a dense, rich flourless cake, sitting in a berry sauce.  While it was too rich for her, as she quit after just a few bites, but on this occasion, I didn't need any help.

As you can tell, we both were very pleased with the entire meal at Welshfield Inn.  It does seem that this restaurant has come under new management in the last few years, but I have no doubt that Welshfield Inn meets the high standards of Duncan Hines.

Welshfield Inn
    14001 Main Market Road
    Burton, OH
    440-834-0190
    post edited by buffetbuster - 2016/05/23 23:16:19
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5