• Total Posts : 5071
2004/06/25 21:30:21 (permalink)

Eating in SW Georgia?

I feel alone.

32 Replies Related Threads

Bluemaxx
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 465
    RE: Eating in SW Georgia? 2004/06/27 21:40:10 (permalink)
    Adjudicator,

Maybe try a few of the "good casual places" in Destin?? Trying to crack a smile....

Rich
    [url]www.BluemaxxRacing.com[/url]
    zothhh
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 88
    RE: Eating in SW Georgia? 2004/06/28 11:14:35 (permalink)
    How far South and West? If you want to make the trek to Tallahassee, there's a terrific meat & three place called Old South on Gaines Street. It's buffet-style, and they've got fantastic fried chicken, butter beans, hoe cakes, etc.
    Ashley Wilkes
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 80
    RE: Eating in SW Georgia? 2004/06/28 15:29:00 (permalink)
    Well, Adjudicator, it appears you are the Roadfood expert on Southwest Georgia food. So what are some good places?

I have never been to this part of the state. I have heard of Richardson’s BBQ in Iron City, but that’s all I know about the area.
    Kristi S.
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 712
    RE: Eating in SW Georgia? 2004/06/28 15:39:22 (permalink)
    I was just in Columbus last week and didn't really see anything roadfoody that qualified. I didn't get to Country's b/c they were blocked off fromo road construction.

I did get some interesting photos of the inside of this ancient Piggly Wiggly that was a complete time-warp...
    olphart
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 289
    RE: Eating in SW Georgia? 2004/06/28 16:01:11 (permalink)
    One of the best meals I ever had was in Douglas, GA.

OK, so it wasn’t exactly roadfood, and it wasn’t exactly “fine dining” either. I was around 10 or 11 and had just come out of the theater with my cousin when I saw a kid selling “bawl’d peanuts” in little bags right there on the street. That was my first taste of them, and it was love at first bite!
    Ashley Wilkes
    Hamburger
    RE: Eating in SW Georgia? 2004/06/28 16:22:12 (permalink)
    I think the green peanuts that are used for boiled peanuts are about ready for harvest here in Georgia. So there should be a lot of stands around Georgia selling them starting in July.

Olphart, Douglas appears to be a good Roadfood town. But I haven’t had the chance to eat at most of the places, so I don’t have any idea how good they are. But there are several places I would like to try in Douglas.
    olphart
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Eating in SW Georgia? 2004/06/28 17:12:16 (permalink)
    My mom and grandmother were both born in Broxton just north of Douglas. I was last there in ’64. I’m sure much has changed since then.

I have had bawl’d peanuts from Mississippi as well as many from Texas, but you can’t beat the ones made from green Georgia peanuts!
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    RE: Eating in SW Georgia? 2004/06/29 11:50:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by zothhh

How far South and West? If you want to make the trek to Tallahassee, there's a terrific meat & three place called Old South on Gaines Street. It's buffet-style, and they've got fantastic fried chicken, butter beans, hoe cakes, etc.

Tallahassee is great! I'm in Bainbridge, (aka "Braindamage"). My whole point of this post , was to see what others in my general area thought(there are a few...). There "ain't nuthin" that good 'round good here. BTW, Richardson's BBQ in Iron City is the "pits".
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    RE: Eating in SW Georgia? 2004/06/29 12:13:50 (permalink)
    And, speaking of things in season..., sweet corn is currently being harvested in my area. Everywhere you go, you see trucks piled high with crates of it. You would think the grocery stores would be loaded with it. Ha! Not ONE EAR... You can go to Motel "El Seedy" & buy a crate from a farm worker, but no retail establishment around here carries any locally produced fresh produce(none, nada, zilch, zero). Is there a conspiracy behind this reasoning???
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Eating in SW Georgia? 2004/06/29 17:01:54 (permalink)
    I guess the Motel elSeedy is your town's answer to our town's farmer's markets and roadstands where everything is fresh in season. I never thought about checking out the local migrant farm worker's digs- bet there's some good buys there...

It is a damn shame that supermarkets everywhere don't carry local produce. We live in apple country and our supermarkets feature Washington and Chinese apples. When local corn is available they're still selling it from New Jersey and Delaware. Our local strawberry season is just about over, but whle it was going strong, the supers were still selling those huge empty tasteless California and Florida berries.
    Chef Susan
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 84
    RE: Eating in SW Georgia? 2004/06/29 22:31:00 (permalink)
    I stopped at a roadside store/gas station in Georgia where I was given my first boiled peanut. I popped the whole thing in my mouth, chewed it up and told the very shocked proprietor of the store that it was not what I expected. She then explained that you are supposed to ONLY EAT THE PEANUT!!! How was I to know!
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    RE: Eating in SW Georgia? 2004/06/30 09:43:42 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Chef Susan

I stopped at a roadside store/gas station in Georgia where I was given my first boiled peanut. I popped the whole thing in my mouth, chewed it up and told the very shocked proprietor of the store that it was not what I expected. She then explained that you are supposed to ONLY EAT THE PEANUT!!! How was I to know!

Eat the peanut; suck the shell.
    olphart
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Eating in SW Georgia? 2004/06/30 10:03:11 (permalink)
    Just like eating a crawfish – eat the tail, suck the head.
    zothhh
    Hamburger
    RE: Eating in SW Georgia? 2004/06/30 12:00:45 (permalink)
    Bainbridge??? I'll be!!! Where are some good places in Bainbridge? Here are some in Tallahassee:

1. Oleans, another mean & three, on Adams St. across from FAMU. Not quite as good as old south, but very good nonetheless.
    2. Curbside BBQ, a new place just off Tennessee St., right next to Wendys. It's a house with a big blue awning stretching over the side yard. You pull into the Wendys parking lot, they'll come out and take your order, prepare the food & then bring it to the car. Really tasty BBQ & pretty good sides. One caveat: They just opened and don't yet have predictable traffic, so you don't know if they BBQ you get has been cooked to "falling off the bone" consistency, or if it's still a little tough. In a month or so, when our local reviewer gives them a little publicity, they should be a little more consistent.
    3. Blue Collar cafe on 4th Street. Good meat & three and hamburgers.
    4. Jittery Jack's, on Tharpe near Old Bainbridge Road. Great chili dogs.
    5. Decent Pizza on Monroe, between the intersections of 3rd and 4th streets.
    cmg63
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Eating in SW Georgia? 2004/07/06 00:10:16 (permalink)

There is a BBQ place on the Thomasville highway between
    Tallahassee and Thomasville. Has anyone eaten there?
    Thoughts?

Charlie
    zothhh
    Hamburger
    RE: Eating in SW Georgia? 2004/07/06 12:23:27 (permalink)
    On the East side of the road, about halfway? I've eaten there a couple of times. Pretty good. On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give it a solid 4. For perpective, I'd give the Sonny's chain a 1, and Interstate BBQ in Memphis a 6 1/2.
    Ashley Wilkes
    Hamburger
    RE: Eating in SW Georgia? 2004/07/06 12:24:18 (permalink)
    Is Jack Wingate's Fishing Lodge still around? I have in my notes that I should try it if I ever go to Bainbridge? Any info?
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    RE: Eating in SW Georgia? 2004/07/06 14:26:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ashley Wilkes

Is Jack Wingate's Fishing Lodge still around? I have in my notes that I should try it if I ever go to Bainbridge? Any info?

Nothing that spectacular.

http://espn.go.com/outdoors/bassmaster/s/bass_fea_dest_0306_seminole.html
    cmg63
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Eating in SW Georgia? 2004/07/07 22:31:27 (permalink)
    Yep, the east side of the road. I've been by it so many times, I
    figured its time to try it.

That place and another on Georgia Highway 84 between Waycross and Valdosta in the city of Stockton or maybe its Homerville. They seem to busy. I guess I just need to take a chance this summer and try them out.

thanks for the info.
    zothhh
    Hamburger
    RE: Eating in SW Georgia? 2004/07/10 15:43:37 (permalink)
    Cmg63,
    I just got 'cue last night that was not only the best I've had in Tallahassee, but was among the best I've ever had. It's called Mr. T's (like about a hundred other places I've seen), at 1401-D Lake Bradford Road, behind the stadium. The phone number is (850) 580-1300. The sides were pretty forgettable--okay potato salad, weird baked beans with more than a hint of cinnamon, tasted like spiced apples. They had some homemade cake but, frankly, maybe they should have bought some. The barbecue, however, was tremendous. Very, very meaty, cooked to a nice tender consistency, with none of that par-boiling crap that I hate. Nice crust and good sauce, especially the hot. They have a cooler out front filled with cheap store brand soda on ice, just like a good barbeque place should have. On a scale of 1 to 10, I give it a 7. If their sides were better it would be an 8. Not much ambience, it looks like it used to be a pawn shop. You have to get it to go, there's no place to sit (which, given the neighborhood, isn't such a bad thing.).
    queenb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 120
    RE: Eating in SW Georgia? 2004/07/14 03:36:02 (permalink)
    If you're going down I-75 to get to Southwest Ga, try to time it so you're passing Cordele at lunch or dinner. Look for signs for Cutter's Steaks and Buffet. We stopped there because we had a carload of teenage boys and you know how they eat. I was surprised to find that the vegetables on their 'hot bar' were all home cooked, not canned, YUM! The other food was good as well, but I really liked the collards, pole beans and so forth the best, and it was a nice break from sandwiches and fast food and about the same price.
    tfrielin
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 442
    RE: Eating in SW Georgia? 2004/08/02 08:26:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Adjudicator

And, speaking of things in season..., sweet corn is currently being harvested in my area. Everywhere you go, you see trucks piled high with crates of it. You would think the grocery stores would be loaded with it. Ha! Not ONE EAR... You can go to Motel "El Seedy" & buy a crate from a farm worker, but no retail establishment around here carries any locally produced fresh produce(none, nada, zilch, zero). Is there a conspiracy behind this reasoning???

You have to go to Publix in Tallahassee to get the sweet corn.

tfrielin
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Eating in SW Georgia? 2004/08/02 08:46:30 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Adjudicator

quote:

Tallahassee is great! I'm in Bainbridge, (aka "Braindamage"). My whole point of this post , was to see what others in my general area thought(there are a few...). There "ain't nuthin" that good 'round good here. BTW, Richardson's BBQ in Iron City is the "pits".

I've lived in Bainbridge for twenty six years and I can attest that Richardson's barbeque, despite its august reputation, is not very good.

There's not much going on in Bainbridge for Roadfood--we're in a prolonged slump. Ever since Jim Smith (who now runs a produce stand at the end of Scott Street, near Stones) closed his Oyster Bar years ago.

Try Mom and Dad's in Thomasville for good Italian. Get a pizza with anchovies. For seafood in Thomasville, go to George and Louie's Seafood. And don't forget getting a chili dog at the pool hall on Broad St. You don't even have to go in--you can order at the window.

JB's Barbeque in Beachton, on 319, near the Florida border is supposed to be good, but I've never tried it.

Skip that Barbeque place someone recommended in Homerville--it is not very good.

Jack Wingate's has new management, so it may have improved, but historically, it survives only on its reputation.

Going a little north of SW GA, you can get the best barbeque in the state in Gray, GA--The Old Clinton Barbeque. It's finely chopped pork, served with a thin vinegary sauce. It is the real thing. Take along a cooler so you can tranport a couple of pounds back home with you.

Going south to Tallahassee, the best local places are Food, Glorious, Food and Chez Pierre. Ok, maybe they're a bit upscale to qualify for Roadfood, but they are locally owned and should be supported over the national chains that infest too many of our markets.

Going further south of Tallahasse, towards the coast: Stop in Panacea and have oysters at Posey's, or shrimp and scallops at Angelo's at the bridge. Sadly, The Oaks, which was in business for fifty years at the bridge, has closed. Someone needs to reopen that venerable place.

Ashley Wilkes
    Hamburger
    RE: Eating in SW Georgia? 2004/08/02 12:56:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tfrielin

Going a little north of SW GA, you can get the best barbeque in the state in Gray, GA--The Old Clinton Barbeque. It's finely chopped pork, served with a thin vinegary sauce. It is the real thing. Take along a cooler so you can tranport a couple of pounds back home with you.

Have you eaten at Old Clinton recently? I ate there about five years ago and it was excellent back then as you described.

But I ate there about a month ago and the barbeque was mediocre. Not the same stuff that I remembered. The people at the table next to me took back their Brunswick stew because it was cold. It was definitely not among Georgia’s best barbeque joints. Maybe I hit them on a bad day. Anybody have any current info on Old Clinton?
    tfrielin
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Eating in SW Georgia? 2004/08/02 13:23:42 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ashley Wilkes

quote:
    Originally posted by tfrielin

Have you eaten at Old Clinton recently? I ate there about five years ago and it was excellent back then as you described.

But I ate there about a month ago and the barbeque was mediocre. Not the same stuff that I remembered. The people at the table next to me took back their Brunswick stew because it was cold. It was definitely not among Georgia’s best barbeque joints. Maybe I hit them on a bad day. Anybody have any current info on Old Clinton?

It's been maybe two years ago sice I ate there. Damn.
    zothhh
    Hamburger
    RE: Eating in SW Georgia? 2004/08/02 14:15:21 (permalink)
    I heard about those chili dogs! I need to get by there. They also have a Krystals up there, if memory serves me correctly. I had them before and was underwhelmed, but people on these boards rhapsodize so much about them that I figure I should give them another try. Chez Pierre has a nice atmosphere, and the owner is a sweetheart but, to be honest, I think the food is so-so. I've had good meals at FGF, but the last time I went in there they were serving fish that could have chased the buzzards off a gut wagon. Steer clear of the fish.
    tfrielin
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Eating in SW Georgia? 2004/08/03 09:04:44 (permalink)
    quote:

I heard about those chili dogs! I need to get by there. They also have a Krystals up there, if memory serves me correctly. I had them before and was underwhelmed, but people on these boards rhapsodize so much about them that I figure I should give them another try. Chez Pierre has a nice atmosphere, and the owner is a sweetheart but, to be honest, I think the food is so-so. I've had good meals at FGF, but the last time I went in there they were serving fish that could have chased the buzzards off a gut wagon. Steer clear of the fish.

Food Glorious Food actually has a pulled pork sandwich on their menu, that's pretty good for a place that isn't a barbeque place.

And I'll put in a word for the too often maligned Sonny's Barbeque. I've said it before and I'll say it again: They do the impossible every day--a chain that turns out great barbeque. Don't dismiss them because they're a chain.

And one more food find in Tallahasse: Go to Tasty Pastry at Timberlane and get their bagels--made on site and very good. I'm particularly fond of the garlic bagels. But get there early--they tend to sell out by three o'clock or so.

zothhh
    Hamburger
    RE: Eating in SW Georgia? 2004/08/03 11:09:53 (permalink)
    Well, I guess we'll agree to disagree about Sonnys. Actually, I'd probably put Smokey Bones above them, not that their BBQ is any good (it's not), but they make those terrific cinnamon/sugar doughnuts. I do agree with you about Tasty Pastry. There's supposed to be a good cake place in Crawfordville, on Crawfordville Highway (oddly enough). Do you know the place I'm talking about? I think it's on the east side of the street, a few miles north of the courthouse. Miss Gloria Sue's, Miss Debbie Laverne's, something like that. I think there's also supposed to be a good pizza place in the vicinity.
    zothhh
    Hamburger
    RE: Eating in SW Georgia? 2004/08/09 16:10:13 (permalink)
    I went to a few BBQ places this weekend. There was a pretty good Jamaican-style place in a trailer on the corner of Ocala and Tennessee. The sides weren't much, but the ribs were pretty good, and the portions were huge. The best food I had was at Wilson's, on the corner of Bronough and Tennessee. Nice atmosphere and very good food. The only problem was the tiny portions. I ordered a $7 rib dinner and got 3 small ribs. They're not going to be around for long if they don't address that. I tried 4 places in total, and every other one had portions at least twice as big.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5