Eating in the UP (Upper Peninsula of Michigan)

Author
Rocky Enfield
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 89
2017/07/26 12:10:54 (permalink)

Eating in the UP (Upper Peninsula of Michigan)

My family and I will be traveling in the UP in August.  I have scoured and searched through Roadfood and found some places we want to try.  I also would like to reach out to my fellow Roadfood enthusiasts and see if you have any suggestions for good eats in the UP.  We will be driving along the Lake Michigan coast to Petosky the first day, day 2 will find us in Mackinaw City and on Mackinac Island.  Days 3 & 4 will be in the Sault Saint Marie/Newberry area.  From there we will be heading along the Lake Superior route to Munsining, Marquette and Silver City.  From there we will be headed back to home along the southern UP route along Lake Michigan to stay in Grayling, Mi before finally heading home. 

Any suggestions for good food, interesting sights/activities would be appreciated.  My lovely wife and I will be accompanied by our 11 year old son and 13 year old daughter so age appropriate suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Rocky

9 Replies Related Threads

ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4591
    Re: Eating in the UP (Upper Peninsula of Michigan) 2017/07/26 14:01:32 (permalink)
    Rocky - 

Haven't ventured that far north but just ate at The Mason Jar in Benton Harbor and it was fantastic.  Locally sourced, fresh ingredients and the place was packed on a mid-Thursday morning.  I had breakfast and my wife had lunch and we both loved it. 

Also, a true Roadfood atmosphere...

CTD
    post edited by ChiTownDiner - 2017/07/26 14:03:11
    Rocky Enfield
    Hamburger
    Re: Eating in the UP (Upper Peninsula of Michigan) 2017/07/26 16:56:34 (permalink)
    CTD

I occasionally go to Benton Harbor to fish, I will keep that one in mind.

Thanks,
    Rocky
    annepr
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 36
    Re: Eating in the UP (Upper Peninsula of Michigan) 2017/07/27 18:39:44 (permalink)
    We recently watched an episode of Andrew Zimmern's Bizarre Foods (Travel Channel) that took place on the Upper Peninsula. That might be helpful. It sure looked great!

Sorry I can't yet post a link, but it's easy to find.
    Louis
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1093
    Re: Eating in the UP (Upper Peninsula of Michigan) 2017/07/28 08:33:06 (permalink)
    I visited Mackinac Island last month.  Stayed at the Holiday Inn Express at St. Ignace, Michigan.  Just a few feet away from the hotel is Java Joe's Cafe.  The owner there is great to talk to.  The food is good, too.  While they aren't the best, this is the farthest north I've ever seen grits offered.

The restaurant is very convenient before going out on the island for a day; you don't even have to get in your car; just walk next door.  I've been to the island twice, and Java Joe's Cafe is a must-see stop, if for the experience if nothing else.

But why talk about it?  In the link below you can visit the restaurant as well as get to know the owner.  Believe me, he'll come to your table:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6BuO1L758E

post edited by Louis - 2017/07/28 08:34:13
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4591
    Re: Eating in the UP (Upper Peninsula of Michigan) 2017/07/28 09:10:25 (permalink)
    Louis - 

That is one fun link...you must have had a great time...does Joe have any interest in Duncan?

CTD
    Rocky Enfield
    Hamburger
    Re: Eating in the UP (Upper Peninsula of Michigan) 2017/07/28 14:10:45 (permalink)
    Louis
    I visited Mackinac Island last month.  Stayed at the Holiday Inn Express at St. Ignace, Michigan.  Just a few feet away from the hotel is Java Joe's Cafe.  The owner there is great to talk to.  The food is good, too.  While they aren't the best, this is the farthest north I've ever seen grits offered.

The restaurant is very convenient before going out on the island for a day; you don't even have to get in your car; just walk next door.  I've been to the island twice, and Java Joe's Cafe is a must-see stop, if for the experience if nothing else.

But why talk about it?  In the link below you can visit the restaurant as well as get to know the owner.  Believe me, he'll come to your table:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6BuO1L758E

Thanks for the link, that place looks great!

Louis
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1093
    Re: Eating in the UP (Upper Peninsula of Michigan) 2017/07/28 16:21:42 (permalink)
    Duncan Hines didn't come up in our conversation.  Mainly we talked about how many places he had lived in (Murray, Kentucky was one of them) and his grits.  The grits weren't bad; they just needed work; probably another supplier would do the trick.  The rest of the food was great.

JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4840
    Re: Eating in the UP (Upper Peninsula of Michigan) 2017/07/29 07:06:59 (permalink)
    Rocky,

That sounds like a great trip. I don't have any specific recommendations, but we always seem to find good food in northern Michigan and the UP. The people are nice, the area is beautiful and weather is spectacular in the Summer. Maybe all that makes everything taste good.

We've been to Empire and Sleeping Bear Dunes several times and really like that area.

Jim
    annepr
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 36
    Re: Eating in the UP (Upper Peninsula of Michigan) 2017/07/30 16:00:34 (permalink)
    Today's New York Times Travel section has one of their 36 Hours articles on the Upper Peninsula.
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5