Equifax Data Breach

Author
rumaki
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1395
2017/09/13 10:43:44 (permalink)

Equifax Data Breach

I'm curious to know whether any Roadfooders have checked to see whether their data was compromised by the Equifax data breach, and what steps you're taking to minimize the impact.

Fraud alerts?  Credit freezes?  I'd love to know your experiences with the four (yes, there are four) credit bureaus. (The fees vary depending on which state you live in and, in some cases, your age.)

I've read many reader comments to news stories about this, and some people have described pretty frustrating experiences.  But I'm always interested in Roadfooders' experiences, because I consider us more reliable as a group than anonymous commenters.

Apparently if you contact Equifax to find out if your data was compromised, they demand more information from you and sign you up for a year of free credit monitoring, which apparently renews itself (for which you must pay) if you don't cancel it.  You also have to waive your right to participate in any class action law suits. As a lawyer, I can't believe that would be upheld in court.  I heard this morning that the Massachusetts Attorney General is already suing Equifax under the state's data breach law, and I expect other states that have such laws will follow.

I confess I'm somewhat freaked out about this, but don't want to make the situation worse by doing nothing.

4 Replies Related Threads

kozel
    • Total Posts : 1168
    Re: Equifax Data Breach 2017/09/13 11:52:39 (permalink)
    Equifax is useless. Using their site and checking on my identity I get a 'probably not affected' for my wife I get a 'may have been impacted'. You do not get a feeling that Equifax is in control. I tried adding temporary fraud alerts via the Equifax site and apparently they are swamped. I tried the Experian and that worked fine. If you submit a fraud alert on one agency, they are 'supposed to share it' with the others.
    Each person is entitled to a free credit report per agency every year. What the 2 of us try to do is submit a credit report request on a different agency every 4 months to the 3 agencies I know of and the 2 of us never submitting a request to the same agency at the same time. Many years ago we were a victim of identity fraud but I caught it early and was able to squash it immediately.
    What really bothers me it is reported insider trading (selling of stock) at Equifax between the breach and the public announcement.
    I believe this is the only Federally authorized free credit report request site for the 3 major agencies.
    https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action
    JRPfeff
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5048
    Re: Equifax Data Breach 2017/09/13 11:59:09 (permalink)
    I read that avoiding Equifax completely is best strategy. Set up fraud alerts with another agency.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8054
    Re: Equifax Data Breach 2017/09/13 13:22:34 (permalink)
    rumaki
    Apparently if you contact Equifax to find out if your data was compromised, they demand more information from you and sign you up for a year of free credit monitoring, which apparently renews itself (for which you must pay) if you don't cancel it.  You also have to waive your right to participate in any class action law suits.

When I checked for myself and my wife none of the above happened.

https://www.equifaxsecurity2017.com/
    rumaki
    • Total Posts : 1395
    Re: Equifax Data Breach 2017/09/13 13:32:07 (permalink)
    Good to know. Apparently, Equifax has made some changes in response to consumer complaints in the last day or so.
    https://www.gomn.com/news...ts-for-using-trustedid
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5