Even In Japan Neighbourhood Joints Are Falling By The Wayside

Author
Root-Beer Man
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1823
2018/12/26 11:05:37 (permalink)

Even In Japan Neighbourhood Joints Are Falling By The Wayside

This was a touching story about a neighbourhood sushi joint in Tokyo. They're still open in a declining neighbourhood after 35 years, while all around them things have closed up and shuttered their doors. People are seemingly content with convenience store sushi or are seeking out the upscale expensive stuff or corporate fast food sushi. All while the mom and pop places are left to decline. It's the same here, in the US with Road Food. At least we're not alone!

https://www.reuters.com/a...-of-loss-idUSKCN1OK103

4 Replies Related Threads

Lurker
    • Total Posts : 0
    Re: Even In Japan Neighbourhood Joints Are Falling By The Wayside 2018/12/26 13:47:07 (permalink)
    15 years ago...I would have wholeheartedly...Nowadays not so much...
    There's lots of new Roadfood out there... but at the same time many traditional specialties have either completely died out (ie. NY Jewish Deli) or are dying (traditional regional bbq, meat n threes, supper clubs etc) . What used to be considered regional are now dismissed as either tourist traps or "institutional" .and what used to be considered unique and regional have gone by the wayside.. however millennials and hipsters have revived local independent mom n pop restaurants.. look at some of the new reviews by the fexy employees to see what these new restaurants look like, and what they are serving nowadays 
    leethebard
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10237
    Re: Even In Japan Neighbourhood Joints Are Falling By The Wayside 2018/12/26 14:24:04 (permalink)
    wanderingjew
    15 years ago...I would have wholeheartedly...Nowadays not so much...
    There's lots of new Roadfood out there... but at the same time many traditional specialties have either completely died out (ie. NY Jewish Deli) or are dying (traditional regional bbq, meat n threes, supper clubs etc) . What used to be considered regional are now dismissed as either tourist traps or "institutional" .and what used to be considered unique and regional have gone by the wayside.. however millennials and hipsters have revived local independent mom n pop restaurants.. look at some of the new reviews by the fexy employees to see what these new restaurants look like, and what they are serving nowadays 

Agreed!

pnwchef
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3089
    Re: Even In Japan Neighbourhood Joints Are Falling By The Wayside 2018/12/27 09:51:08 (permalink)
    I'm not sure why we have to go all the way to Japan to read this story. This story is in every small town in America. We all look for yesteryear and memories of the past but no one wants to live there. We all want better than our parents and in many cases you can't find a better life living in the same house as they did. The thing about Roadfood is that the food had a purpose. This food was a staple in the area and needed by the people living there. There is a reason why we seek out Roadfood. If it isn't a piece of our past, it was a part of someone else's. 
       How many times have we said "Things don't taste the way they used too".  My Family likes Chain restaurants. They like going to Applebee's, Red Robin, Outback and all the others. I've never walked out of any of these places saying " Boy was that good" But, it makes them happy. Just think of what Roadfood is to a Millennial. I'm thinking they must love the food court at the mall and almost every drive through fast-food place and every hip place in town.
       I remember taking my Date on a 1 1/2 hour drive to a restaurant in Connecticut. The place was there for years and had dark booths with great food and homemade pies. This place today would have a line out the door with an add-on section to accommodate all the people. The dark booths would be remolded and well lite. The homemade cooking is done by a flock of cooks that could care less. For some reason the pies just aren't want they used to be. I can't put my finger on why. Maybe it's just not made with pride, love and the best ingredients. 
       Roadfood just isn't or wasn't the food to me. Roadfood was how comfortable I felt in the restaurant, how I was treated in the restaurant. The owner had a sense of pride and a smile when you thanked them for a great meal. 
       It looks like every ten or fifteen years we live in a new normal. Things change and nothing stays the same. Progress isn't living in the past, it's forging ahead looking for a better way. 
      We can tell our Grandchildren about the old time Roadfood restaurants. Our kids will tell their Grandchildren about eating food in a Mall at a food court. Their Grandchildren will then ask "Whats a Mall".......
    Lurker
    • Total Posts : 0
    Re: Even In Japan Neighbourhood Joints Are Falling By The Wayside 2018/12/27 10:02:10 (permalink)
    Not sure what millennials you're referring to . But they're not doing fast food chains or mall courts around here (or any other place around the country that I've visited). Perhaps the elderly have a different perspective than squarely  middle aged folks (almost 54) like myself. But all the millennials I know are enjoying food trucks, local ethnic cuisine and local roadfood restaurants...Not the old fashioned clam shacks or old school Italian joints that non locals THINK Rhode Island  is known for - those are relegated to tourists and the elderly. But there are many local roadfood restaurants that serve Banh Mi, Pulled Pork Nachos, Poutine, Shrimp and Grits, Fish Tacos, burgers with you name it toppings, lobster mac n cheese etc... This is considered   roadfood ...  just like Hardtack may have been considered roadfood by your parents and grandparent's generation...
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5