Helpful ReplyFacebook ... anyone surprised?

Author
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6856
2018/04/07 10:33:23 (permalink)

Facebook ... anyone surprised?

Years ago - after having observed the pernicious effect "MySpace" had on my students - I resolved never to participate in such.  When Facebook came along my four children practically begged me to participate.  I refused.

In refusing, I told each of them:  "This is like being offered a "free" lifetime pass to Disneyland.  Nothing is "free", so enter at your own risk and don't be surprised when you find cameras in the bathrooms and yourself being treated as a 'lab rat'."  

They thought I was, at best, curmudgeonly; at worst, a neo-Luddite. 
Guess what they think now?

Has your 'attitude' toward Facebook changed in light of the fact that:
They (and Google and Apple) can literally track you? 
That they can actually 'listen in'? 
That they can - and do - exploit your 'data' in ways absolutely unimaginable a few years back?

As for me, I have always been and .

BTW:  When I was in business I always referred to my cellphone as "my leash".  When I retired from that and returned to teaching in 2002 I 'deep sixed' the leash and haven't had one since.  When I have the very rare occasion to make a cellular call I find that perfect strangers are willing to let me make a call on theirs. 
1bbqboy
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5518
Re: Facebook ... anyone surprised? 2018/04/07 12:25:52 (permalink)
But since you hate government and extol the virtues of the free unfettered economy,
how can you be mad at them?
Almost like Mark Z was one of your prize students and put your lessons to real life use. Right?
Root-Beer Man
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1341
Re: Facebook ... anyone surprised? 2018/04/07 13:09:32 (permalink)
Not sure why Apple was included on your list, as they are one of the most privacy conscious companies on the planet. Any info they collect is always anonymised and contains only raw, machine data. When the government comes to them to unlock iPhones in criminal cases the answer is always no. They're one of the few companies I actually trust with my data, unlike Microsoft which has a history of privacy invasion. As for Facebook, the only info they have on you is what you willingly share with them. You can give as much or as little as you wish, there is no coercion. I use them and have no issues with what info I choose to share. It's a decent way to stay in touch with old friends and family.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: Facebook ... anyone surprised? 2018/04/07 19:46:00 (permalink)
1bbqboy
But since you hate government and extol the virtues of the free unfettered economy,
how can you be mad at them?

How can I be "mad" when I sensed their scam from the jump and never participated in any of their silly reindeer games?

Hate government?!  Au contraire, I love government insofar as it is used as a mechanism by its citizens to provide for national defense, criminal and civil courts, and public goods.  It is only when 'special interests' purchase government favors and when politicians buy votes with the citizenry's money that I (and Jefferson, Madison, and de Tocqueville, et al.) begin to have a "problem" with it.

1bbqboy
Almost like Mark Z was one of your prize students and put your lessons to real life use. Right?

To me, Zuckerberg is - and always has been - a disingenuous poseur who affects to trade in the "public good".  He doesn't need to be "regulated"; he simply needs to have the disinfecting sunlight of exposure cast upon him.  As I told my kids over a decade ago, caveat emptor - especially when the nominal price is "free"!
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: Facebook ... anyone surprised? 2018/04/07 20:01:42 (permalink)
Root-Beer Man
Not sure why Apple was included on your list, as they are one of the most privacy conscious companies on the planet. 

Perhaps I was unduly influenced by the best South Park episode ever - The Human Cent-I-pad.

Yes - of Facebook, Google, Apple, and Microsoft - Apple is the most respectful of their clients' privacy.

This is in the same sense that of Hitler, Stalin, Mao, and Peron, Juan Peron was the most respectful of human rights.
1bbqboy
Sirloin
Re: Facebook ... anyone surprised? 2018/04/08 11:32:03 (permalink)
Why do I always feel like I'm in one of your lectures at school?
You crack me up.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: Facebook ... anyone surprised? 2018/04/08 13:36:30 (permalink)
1bbqboy
Why do I always feel like I'm in one of your lectures at school?
You crack me up.

If you haven't seen it already, The Human Cent-I-pad will crack you up even more!
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8293
Re: Facebook ... anyone surprised? 2018/04/08 22:32:18 (permalink)
Root-Beer Man
As for Facebook, the only info they have on you is what you willingly share with them.

And for some strange reason, way too many Facebook users share way more than they should...much to the delight of data miners.
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9198
Re: Facebook ... anyone surprised? 2018/04/09 09:37:52 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
Root-Beer Man
As for Facebook, the only info they have on you is what you willingly share with them.

And for some strange reason, way too many Facebook users share way more than they should...much to the delight of data miners.

MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: Facebook ... anyone surprised? 2018/04/09 09:55:34 (permalink)
leethebard
ScreamingChicken
Root-Beer Man

Indeed, one really should read and understand "User Agreements" before clicking on "I Agree"! 
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: Facebook ... anyone surprised? 2018/04/11 09:52:23 (permalink)
As one who chooses not to play in the Facebook sandbox I was surprised to read and hear that 140,000,000 Americans use the Facebook "news feeds" as their primary source of news.

If true, that makes that snotty, whiney, condescending, diminutive dweeb the most powerful news "gate-keeper" in history.  Hearst, Pulitzer, Sarnoff, Paley, Graham, and the Sulzbergers  - even combined - ever possessed such power. 

And now the little putz has his self-righteous nerds designing 'artificial intelligence' to weed out 'hate speech' from the news feeds.  God, spare us all.

I don't "Tweet" either.  But, I may start:  #deleteFacebook !
RodBangkok
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 573
Re: Facebook ... anyone surprised? 2018/04/11 12:02:14 (permalink)
The use of this form of media and the options to store or share the content are up to the individual idiots that use it.

You put your entire lives on line for the public to see and then get upset when all this detail is used by others that seem to understand the ramifications of the content and use it to their advantage.  What a gullible sad society you’ve turned into!

Quite frankly if your stupid enough to publish your life to the world then your probably gullible enough to believe everything that comes across these so called news feeds to be true, and then get upset because you lack the common sense to choose a reliable news source when they turn out to be garbage.

Even your own congress does not understand how this media functions given the questions asked at the recent hearings what a laugh that turned out to be.

I fail to see why your upset with an organization that provides a free service, but then uses the data that you have voluntarily fed to it for its own advantage.  Is there anywhere that says you must be a member of a social media service and are forced to give this information.  

What a bunch of followers and nanny dependents you’ve become.

I am the master of my fate.
I am the captain of my soul.

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/51642/invictus

Now back to food
1bbqboy
Sirloin
Re: Facebook ... anyone surprised? 2018/04/11 14:15:01 (permalink)
The news feeds are what one chooses to follow. They are only fake news if one follows those sites.
Two non users with the harshest words. Interesting.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5723
Re: Facebook ... anyone surprised? 2018/04/11 14:20:28 (permalink)
RodBangkok
Now back to food

Yes, please.
1bbqboy
Sirloin
Re: Facebook ... anyone surprised? 2018/04/11 14:53:39 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Root-Beer Man 2018/04/11 15:46:47
Twinwillow
RodBangkok
Now back to food

Yes, please.

Lots of food on FB. In fact, most of the former posters here.
You get out of FB what you put in to it.
KingCrab
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 140
Re: Facebook ... anyone surprised? 2018/04/11 14:55:20 (permalink)
Dumbest thread I have ever seen on Roadfood. Thought this place was about food, not soap box rants .
chefbuba
  • Total Posts : 2396
Re: Facebook ... anyone surprised? 2018/04/11 14:55:33 (permalink)
I don't fb much, but follow the "antics " of the people in my small town on the local page.
You wouldn't believe what very personal jaw dropping information some openly share.
Divorce proceedings, financial information, go fund me pages for personal expenditures, like I can't afford a vacation on my gubberment "paycheck " because I'm a single mother with five kids and four daddy's, or I left him/her because they were lacking in the bedroom. It goes on and on.........
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10271
Re: Facebook ... anyone surprised? 2018/04/11 15:42:06 (permalink)
forget facebook, several of you are missing the point on what this website is all about ..It's not about food...it's about ROAD FOOD
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: Facebook ... anyone surprised? 2018/04/11 15:43:11 (permalink)
KingCrab
Dumbest thread I have ever seen on Roadfood. 

Oh, I've seen dumber; nevertheless, please be advised that this forum is: "Miscellaneous - Off-Topic & 'Lighter Fare' ".

KingCrab
Thought this place was about food, not soap box rants .

For it is written: Man shall not live by bread alone ..

post edited by MetroplexJim - 2018/04/11 15:46:10
Root-Beer Man
  • Total Posts : 1341
Re: Facebook ... anyone surprised? 2018/04/11 15:54:47 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby wanderingjew 2018/04/11 16:31:03
MetroplexJim
As one who chooses not to play in the Facebook sandbox I was surprised to read and hear that 140,000,000 Americans use the Facebook "news feeds" as their primary source of news.

If true, that makes that snotty, whiney, condescending, diminutive dweeb the most powerful news "gate-keeper" in history.  Hearst, Pulitzer, Sarnoff, Paley, Graham, and the Sulzbergers  - even combined - ever possessed such power. 

And now the little putz has his self-righteous nerds designing 'artificial intelligence' to weed out 'hate speech' from the news feeds.  God, spare us all.

I don't "Tweet" either.  But, I may start:  #deleteFacebook !

Being a non-user, it is pretty clear that you don't know how it actually works. The "newsfeed" is simply all the people and sites you have subscribed to. That's it. Some might, or might not be news. In my case many of mine are. I have my local non-Fox stations subscribed, the local paper, the NWS for weather, The Hill and a few other reputable news sources for national and international news. You see what you subscribe to. If you decide to subscribe to Fox and the other similar news agencies you'll likely get fake news. There is no gatekeeping going on. You see what your subscriptions choose to post. 
And there's lots of food related stuff there, including RF. I see more RF stuff there than I do here. And more food related articles and the like, too. You get out of it what you want to. It's not some conspiracy, it's just an aggregator of friends, family, news and info. Which you'd know...if you were an actual member and not reacting to 2nd and 3rd hand information.
post edited by Root-Beer Man - 2018/04/11 15:56:23
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: Facebook ... anyone surprised? 2018/04/11 17:14:44 (permalink)
Root-Beer Man,

1)  Even though I do not 'contribute' I do have an account to keep up with my four adult children and several friends, so I am familiar with their "service" in which their users are their product.

2)  The "gate-keeping" function of media I referred to above is the decision on what to present or not present as 'news'.  From the testimony yesterday I learned that Facebook elected to "spike"stories about the IRS, after the 2010 elections, arbitrarily and capriciously denying exempt status to certain political groups.

3)  Again, I not for 'regulating' Facebook.  So long as their users have given informed consent and so long as those 140,000,000 who rely on it as their primary source of news realize what they are and are not getting, I'm perfectly fine with it. 
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: Facebook ... anyone surprised? 2018/04/13 09:29:25 (permalink)
What I learned from Zuckerberg's testimony:

Sitting on his booster seat, he advanced the time-honored tradition of deflecting blame onto dumb animals and inanimate objects.  First it was blaming the dog and not the student for "missing" homework.  Then we blame "computer error" rather than data entry or programmers.  Now that has evolved into blaming "algorithms" rather than their designers and implementers.

What next?  Are we going to blame guns for killing and not the killers? 

Oh, wait.  Yikes! 

At least we now know that it was a Mannlicher-Carcano rifle that is to blame for JFK's assassination and not poor little Oswald.
1bbqboy
Sirloin
Re: Facebook ... anyone surprised? 2018/04/13 09:35:27 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby harriet1954 2018/04/13 14:06:37
Why are you so angry? Because you didn't think of FB?
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: Facebook ... anyone surprised? 2018/04/13 10:37:34 (permalink)
1bbqboy
Why are you so angry? Because you didn't think of FB?

I'm not angry, just highly amused.
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5