Helpful ReplyHot!Fairwell To An Old Standby (I miss classic Chinese-American Cantonese)

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5766
Re: Fairwell To An Old Standby (I miss classic Chinese-American Cantonese) 2019/01/14 16:20:23 (permalink)
phlmaestro
I think I mentioned in an earlier post that I also like dim sum. Apparently, parts of Northeast Philadelphia now have a lot of Chinese immigrants and there is a massive dim sum hall in an area that I used to know very well, but haven't been to in some years. They also supposedly serve good Cantonese food. The food critic at the paper where I work absolutely raves about this place (I believe he now considers it the best Chinese restaurant in Philadelphia … it was the only one he included in his annual list of the top 25 local restaurants). They apparently serve about 1,500 people on a typical day. I would guess more on weekends.  I'll probably be trying it out in a couple weeks when we have friends in from out of town. My friend's wife is from Taiwan and we usually eat in Chinatown when they're here. But we plan to drive out to the Northeast to try this place:

http://www.phillychinagourmet.com/

I would imagine this photo only shows a portion of the place.

Would you ask them to open a branch in Dallas, please?
rumaki
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1497
Re: Fairwell To An Old Standby (I miss classic Chinese-American Cantonese) 2019/01/14 16:29:52 (permalink)
We got carry-out food from a place in St. Paul on Saturday called Golden Chow Mein.  It's not truly "ancient," but has been in operation since 1985.  It's family-owned/operated and certainly no-frills. 

But the menu has lots of classics on it.  http://www.goldenchowmein.com/img/gcm_print%20menu_revised.pdf

We got egg rolls, Cantonese pan-fried noodles with chicken, and tofu with vegetables.  I was impressed that they fried the noodles into a "pancake" and packed them, still in the pancake shape, into a separate flat container.  The egg rolls are homemade and were very good.  The chicken seemed to be real chicken (as opposed to those weird sheets of pressed chicken that so many places seem to use these days) with celery, what appeared to be fresh peapods, and beansprouts; the tofu had a very generous amount of tofu mixed with vegetables that included broccoli as well as peapods and celery.  No mushrooms or water chestnuts, though.  They also included four fortune cookies, and they were good quality ones, and a container of steamed white rice that was quite tasty.

My husband, who picked up the food, said very few people were eating there, but the phone was ringing off the hook for take out orders, and initially they had told him it would be a 30-minute wait (since he ordered on arrival), but in fact, it took less than 20 minutes to get the food. 

We will go back!  Here's an article from a couple of years ago from City Pages, and I'd say the photos do the food justice.  http://www.citypages.com/...ting-tradition-8283604
mlm
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 659
Re: Fairwell To An Old Standby (I miss classic Chinese-American Cantonese) 2019/01/14 16:58:56 (permalink)
Sounds good, Rumaki. I got my Martin Yan cookbook which you recommended. Nice. We'll see what I can do with it. As for Chinese Gourmet, that photo is lovely and the website looks pretty good but I admit right now that I just don't do offal anything so you can have my share. Bet I could find something else, though! Substitute red furnishes for pink and it reminds me of the Hong Kong restaurant in San Marcos while the Hong Kong was at it's hey day. Before it changed owners and became the,  shudder, Wok and Roll." />
mlm
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Fairwell To An Old Standby (I miss classic Chinese-American Cantonese) 2019/01/14 17:00:32 (permalink)
The Hong Kong was the restaurant I mentioned earlier.

HollyDolly
  • Total Posts : 1228
Re: Fairwell To An Old Standby (I miss classic Chinese-American Cantonese) 2019/01/15 12:36:32 (permalink)
Funny, wasn't aware there were any chinese restaurants in  San Marcos. think there is one or two down the road in Seguin. Tried to eat at one in Seguin years ago but the place was packed.Couldn't get a seat so left.
Last time my late father was in Milwaukee he at at Toy's. It might be still there.  He went to school with the son Charlie Toy, and the family also had one in the San Francisco area, at least that's what my dad said.
mlm
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Fairwell To An Old Standby (I miss classic Chinese-American Cantonese) 2019/01/15 14:04:22 (permalink)
HollyDolly, the last time I was there, several years ago, the Imperial Garden in San Marcos was still pretty good although, no doubt, Americanized. My mother and I used to enjoy the Rose Garden in San Marcos but I haven't been there in many years. I had to give up eating out several years ago for budget reasons and the traffic has gotten a lot thicker in recent years and both of these restaurants are near nasty intersections. Nevertheless, if you're in San Marcos sometime, both may be worth your time. I'd skip the buffet places, though, I'm sure, like me, you can do better at home.
phlmaestro
  • Total Posts : 1069
Re: Fairwell To An Old Standby (I miss classic Chinese-American Cantonese) 2019/01/15 16:40:36 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby harriet1954 2019/01/17 16:19:39
harriet1954
Oh lord, it's on St. Vincent St! My orthodontist was on St. Vincent St., as well as a tailor my mother liked to go to (Yetta's Ladies and Gents). I know the Northeast like the back of my hand, since I was born and raised there, but it's changed very much in the past 30 or so years. This restaurant looks to be mere blocks from where I grew up on the Boulevard. I'm going to have to check it out next time we cross the Tacony Bridge. One place here in Jersey that's very good is called Hong Kong Fusion. It's right on Route 70 in Cherry Hill. I'd recommend it. I know it's a very busy area, but that's Route 70 for ya.

That is also be my old stomping grounds, Harriet. I had relatives in that neighborhood for most of my life and always spent a lot of time there until the past hand-full of years when my elderly relatives in the Northeast all died off.

From what I've read and seen, the neighborhood has changed dramatically. I think the presence of a restaurant like this (and the absence of the old Jewish delis, like Jack's) is a testament to that fact.
post edited by phlmaestro - 2019/01/15 21:25:37
phlmaestro
Re: Fairwell To An Old Standby (I miss classic Chinese-American Cantonese) 2019/01/15 16:42:54 (permalink)
I appreciate people posting about good Chinese restaurants in their area. I plan to consult this thread when meal-planning for future trips.
phlmaestro
Re: Fairwell To An Old Standby (I miss classic Chinese-American Cantonese) 2019/01/23 14:23:32 (permalink)
I knew it was coming!!!   http://www.philly.com/food/imperial-inn-oldest-chinese-restaurant-chinatown-close-20190123.html

The Imperial Inn: 1973-2019

My colleague and I are going to take out lunch from them Friday so I can go in there one last time.
post edited by phlmaestro - 2019/01/23 15:00:36
rumaki
Re: Fairwell To An Old Standby (I miss classic Chinese-American Cantonese) 2019/01/23 16:24:14 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby phlmaestro 2019/01/23 16:37:08
phlmaestro
I knew it was coming!!!   http://www.philly.com/food/imperial-inn-oldest-chinese-restaurant-chinatown-close-20190123.html

The Imperial Inn: 1973-2019

My colleague and I are going to take out lunch from them Friday so I can go in there one last time.

I am so sorry!  As I wrote previously, we "lost" our two favorite Chinese-American/Cantonese restaurants here in the Twin Cities in 2017 and 2018.  I am still traumatized!
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9231
Re: Fairwell To An Old Standby (I miss classic Chinese-American Cantonese) 2019/01/23 18:12:32 (permalink)
phlmaestro

I'll bet you they have one of their most profitable lunches in a long time...
phlmaestro
Re: Fairwell To An Old Standby (I miss classic Chinese-American Cantonese) 2019/01/23 22:37:10 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
phlmaestro

I'll bet you they have one of their most profitable lunches in a long time...

I was thinking there may be big crowds Saturday and Sunday. 

rumaki
Re: Fairwell To An Old Standby (I miss classic Chinese-American Cantonese) 2019/01/24 16:52:33 (permalink)
phlmaestro

Dragon City closed for the last time on a Saturday (they were never open on Sundays -- it was the family's day of rest). We got takeout on Friday, knowing that even under normal conditions, they were always busy on Saturdays. They had run out of their homemade egg rolls, and weren't going to make any additional ones. 

Everything else was great, though . . .

phlmaestro
Re: Fairwell To An Old Standby (I miss classic Chinese-American Cantonese) 2019/01/24 20:49:02 (permalink)
rumaki
phlmaestro

Dragon City closed for the last time on a Saturday (they were never open on Sundays -- it was the family's day of rest). We got takeout on Friday, knowing that even under normal conditions, they were always busy on Saturdays. They had run out of their homemade egg rolls, and weren't going to make any additional ones. 

Everything else was great, though . . .

The last handful of times I've gone to the Imperial Inn to pick up a take out order for lunch, it was almost completely empty. It will be interesting to see if there are a lot of people there when I stop in tomorrow.  

We've decided to order egg rolls even though they weren't as good the last two times we had them, just on the off chance they may have the better ones. I know it's very unlikely, but we liked them so much, and this is the last time there will even be a remote possibility of having one.  I'm also probably going to order sweet & sour shrimp.  In the old days, a lot of places, probably including the Imperial Inn, used to call it sweet & pungent. 

Now that I think of it, the timing is very fitting for me. I'll be having my final meal from the old classic place that was my favorite for years tomorrow, and the following day I'll be going to that huge dim sum place that is supposedly now the best Chinese restaurant in Philly for the first time. It's like a symbolic passing of the Chinese food torch.  I'll probably post some photos Saturday or Sunday. 

post edited by phlmaestro - 2019/01/25 21:19:50
rumaki
Re: Fairwell To An Old Standby (I miss classic Chinese-American Cantonese) 2019/01/24 21:35:05 (permalink)
We look forward to your posting!
 And I remember 'sweet and pungent' very well. I think the Mandarin Inn in Indianapolis used that term. (Despite the name, the Mandarin Inn served Cantonese, Chinese-American food. Great egg rolls! Long gone.)

phlmaestro
Re: Fairwell To An Old Standby (I miss classic Chinese-American Cantonese) 2019/01/27 19:46:25 (permalink)
The paper I work for just put out this article on the final day at the Imperial Inn online. It includes a photo of the very long line that goes way out the door as well the story of a family with their own very deep and long attachment to the restaurant.

http://www.philly.com/news/imperial-inn-philadelphia-chinatown-closing-dim-sum-20190128.html

post edited by phlmaestro - 2019/01/28 20:27:24
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9231
Re: Fairwell To An Old Standby (I miss classic Chinese-American Cantonese) 2019/03/02 09:50:07 (permalink)
Maestro, Cozy Inn in Janesville, WI sounds like it might be a place you'd like, although I've never been there and can't speak from experience.  Based on this article it apparently dates back to at least the 1960s.
phlmaestro
Re: Fairwell To An Old Standby (I miss classic Chinese-American Cantonese) 2019/03/02 20:26:46 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
Maestro, Cozy Inn in Janesville, WI sounds like it might be a place you'd like, although I've never been there and can't speak from experience.  Based on this article it apparently dates back to at least the 1960s.

I checked out their Facebook page and love the look of the place. The writer of the article mentions that he felt like he had entered the set of a 1940s film noir.

And they have paper chicken on the menu!  They also may be the first place I've seen offer sweet & sour beef. S&S is typically offered only with pork, chicken and shrimp. I've also seen it with whole fish; but never beef, until now.

Believe it or not, on their Facebook page, they claim to date back to 1922 and to be the oldest Chinese restaurant in Wisconsin. It would almost have to be a definite stop for me, at least for lunch, if I'm ever in that region.
post edited by phlmaestro - 2019/03/02 22:18:26
1bbqboy
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5874
Re: Fairwell To An Old Standby (I miss classic Chinese-American Cantonese) 2019/03/03 11:48:08 (permalink)
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/19/dining/michelin-guide-cantonese-restaurants.html
Root-Beer Man
  • Total Posts : 1833
Re: Fairwell To An Old Standby (I miss classic Chinese-American Cantonese) 2019/03/03 12:30:46 (permalink)
1bbqboy
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5874
Re: Fairwell To An Old Standby (I miss classic Chinese-American Cantonese) 2019/03/03 12:39:45 (permalink)
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5766
Re: Fairwell To An Old Standby (I miss classic Chinese-American Cantonese) 2019/03/03 15:07:57 (permalink)
phlmaestro
I appreciate people posting about good Chinese restaurants in their area. I plan to consult this thread when meal-planning for future trips.

Arguably, the most popular in the Dallas area. There are others in the small chain but, the FCBBQ in Richardson is the best of the bunch and has been our number one for over 30 years. Although the FCBBQ in Austin takes cards, all the other locations are CASH ONLY. However, the prices are very reasonable and the platters are loaded! A group of 4-5 of us meet every Thursday for lunch. We order everything from soup to fortune cookies. Cost each: About $12.00 including tax and a 20% tip.
http://firstchinesebbq.com
iceomat
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 213
Re: Fairwell To An Old Standby (I miss classic Chinese-American Cantonese) 2019/03/03 16:58:20 (permalink)
Blue Moon in Edmond, OK has been there as long as I can remember and I've lived here 35 years now. The menu is mostly Cantonese:
https://www.allmenus.com/ok/edmond/391286-blue-moon/menu/
Unfortunately they "upgraded" the interior to a more modern look a few years ago but the food is still the same.
phlmaestro
Re: Fairwell To An Old Standby (I miss classic Chinese-American Cantonese) 2019/03/04 16:37:39 (permalink)
iceomat
Blue Moon in Edmond, OK has been there as long as I can remember and I've lived here 35 years now. The menu is mostly Cantonese:
https://www.allmenus.com/ok/edmond/391286-blue-moon/menu/
Unfortunately they "upgraded" the interior to a more modern look a few years ago but the food is still the same.

I want to get to Oklahoma so badly to eat hamburgers, especially onion-fried hamburgers. But I may squeeze this place in too!
phlmaestro
Re: Fairwell To An Old Standby (I miss classic Chinese-American Cantonese) 2019/03/04 16:39:07 (permalink)
Root-Beer Man
1bbqboy
https://www.nytimes.com/2...onese-restaurants.html

Thanks. I may grab that.
Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5