Author
scrumptiouschef
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2471
2018/10/14 21:51:31 (permalink)
Root-Beer Man
  • Total Posts : 1583
Re: Field Report: 2018 Louisiana Gumbo Festival At Chackbay 2018/10/14 22:29:20 (permalink)
I liked the colour of the cup of gumbo you had, but I agree that it looked way too thin. How was the taste? Was there only one vendor there?
scrumptiouschef
Re: Field Report: 2018 Louisiana Gumbo Festival At Chackbay 2018/10/15 10:37:42 (permalink)
Three men were responsible for the two gumbos on offer. The gumbo was fine but not as good as what you would get in a typical Louisiana household. They make 500 gallons so shortcuts are in place.
BayouCityNosh
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 99
Re: Field Report: 2018 Louisiana Gumbo Festival At Chackbay 2018/10/15 12:43:20 (permalink)
Light or dark, thick or thin.  I have a preference for dark and thick roux but I have been pleasantly surprised on occasion by what I'm served.  One local restaurant with certified Louisiana roots (Opelousas as I recall; we seem to have quite a few Cajun restauranteurs here from Oplousas) served me a very thin roux that was very good.  Instead of being a hearty dish as I was accustomed to think of it, it was more of a delicate soup.

We had a writer who had spent years with the NOLA alternative paper come to take over the position with the Houston Press, just before Voice media blew up all their print staffs and the restaurant reviewer post was eliminated.  She has managed to find work.  Before her job evaporated she wrote a piece on Houston gumbo vs. what she knew from LA. That was the first time I had ever heard of potato salad served with, or IN????, gumbo.  I've still not had a chance to try it.  Now I learn that there are technicalities and there are considerations to be weighed regarding the pickles used.  I'll mark that down too.

I'm going to try to get around to some of her recommendations in coming weeks and months; they were mostly upscale, valet parking, stemware on the table type places, not the type I've usually hit up for a gumbo fix in the past but I'm willing to make sacrifices, and report on for your gumbo celebration thread.  Plus some of my own faves which tend to be more blue collar, counter service type places.
post edited by BayouCityNosh - 2018/10/15 12:45:06
scrumptiouschef
Re: Field Report: 2018 Louisiana Gumbo Festival At Chackbay 2018/10/15 13:27:23 (permalink)
BayouCityNosh
Light or dark, thick or thin.  I have a preference for dark and thick roux but I have been pleasantly surprised on occasion by what I'm served.  One local restaurant with certified Louisiana roots (Opelousas as I recall; we seem to have quite a few Cajun restauranteurs here from Oplousas) served me a very thin roux that was very good.  Instead of being a hearty dish as I was accustomed to think of it, it was more of a delicate soup.

We had a writer who had spent years with the NOLA alternative paper come to take over the position with the Houston Press, just before Voice media blew up all their print staffs and the restaurant reviewer post was eliminated.  She has managed to find work.  Before her job evaporated she wrote a piece on Houston gumbo vs. what she knew from LA. That was the first time I had ever heard of potato salad served with, or IN????, gumbo.  I've still not had a chance to try it.  Now I learn that there are technicalities and there are considerations to be weighed regarding the pickles used.  I'll mark that down too.

I'm going to try to get around to some of her recommendations in coming weeks and months; they were mostly upscale, valet parking, stemware on the table type places, not the type I've usually hit up for a gumbo fix in the past but I'm willing to make sacrifices, and report on for your gumbo celebration thread.  Plus some of my own faves which tend to be more blue collar, counter service type places.

Looking forward to it. Is Katherine Shilcutt still at work over that way?
BayouCityNosh
Hamburger
Re: Field Report: 2018 Louisiana Gumbo Festival At Chackbay 2018/10/15 21:21:33 (permalink)
Shillcutt, who had started using her married name Ermis, disappeared abruptly from Houstonia where she was executive editor as I recall, having risen from a starting position as chief blogger for their Gastronaut blog when she came over from the Press.  I've never seen any explanation of what happened but she tweeted or somehow communicated in a few days that she had taken a new post in an obscure department at Rice University.  Haven't heard or seen anything since.  

The chief reviewer that I believe she was responsible for bringing in, Alice Levitt, whom I really was getting to like, disappeared at the same time.  Levitt showed real promise for filling the shoes of good old Robb Walsh, not afraid to go off the beaten track and report on places that didn't have PR firms constantly filling the inboxes of foodie media staffers with hype.  Walsh wasn't perfect but he was good at doing that and she was too.

Levitt has reappeared, very infrequently, on Gastronaut, thankfully still up to poking around in the unknown, unheralded corners of the scene here.  There was apparently a major overhaul of Houstonia and it took months for them to name a new dining editor.  The coverage seems perhaps a little more oriented toward families????, not so heavily slanted at foodies????

The shakeup there and at the Press happened in the same week, as I recall.
post edited by BayouCityNosh - 2018/10/15 21:28:08
scrumptiouschef
Re: Field Report: 2018 Louisiana Gumbo Festival At Chackbay 2018/10/16 00:14:23 (permalink)
And Robb Walsh has retired to Ireland.
BayouCityNosh
Hamburger
Re: Field Report: 2018 Louisiana Gumbo Festival At Chackbay 2018/10/16 08:11:00 (permalink)
I don't look at his site very often. I guess the last I read was that he retired to Galveston but I gather he does spend a lot of time in Ireland.  He occasionally appears in Houstonia; sometimes it's an old article being reprinted (he was chief restaurant critic when it first launched), sometimes something new.
scrumptiouschef
Re: Field Report: 2018 Louisiana Gumbo Festival At Chackbay 2018/10/16 17:26:37 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby BayouCityNosh 2018/10/16 20:20:53
I follow Robb on Twitter. He seems like he's living a good life in old Ar'land. Of course he eats well and documents that so it's fairly interesting. It's not just meat and taters over there anymore.
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5