• Total Posts : 2157
2018/05/15 19:36:11 (permalink)

Field Report: Marjie's Grill in New Orleans

http://www.scrumptiousche...-report-marjies-grill/

2 Replies Related Threads

BuddyRoadhouse
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6122
    Re: Field Report: Marjie's Grill in New Orleans 2018/05/15 22:18:19 (permalink)
    "We had the single best bite of barbecue ever served to us in a New Orleans restaurant last week at Marjie’s Grill...It doesn’t carry a lot of weight as there is no good barbecue being commercially served in our fair city."

I've kinda wondered about this.  Not that NOLA is hurting for outstanding food; certainly just the opposite, it's in great abundance.  But noteworthy 'Que does seem to be a rarity, if not nonexistent.  Why do you reckon that is?  You're in the heart of the Southern Barbecue Belt, running from the Carolinas to Texas.  The 'Que Culture is all around you and yet it seems to have passed you by, jumping right from Mississippi to the Lone Star State.  Is the Cajun/Creole cooking tradition so dominant that it doesn't leave any room for championship pitmasters?  Is the rest of the state just as smoke deprived, or is it just the Crescent City?

Lotta questions there.  Take your time and do it right.  Kinda like great 'Que.

Buddy

P.S. Very nice report and fine photos, BTW.  Another reason to hop in the car and head south, sooner rather than later.

B.
    scrumptiouschef
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2157
    Re: Field Report: Marjie's Grill in New Orleans 2018/05/15 23:19:43 (permalink)
    There's plenty good barbecue here but it's not being commercially served. It's all coming out of folks' backyards. The only commercial smoked meat house I've eaten at in LA that could open in Texas and make good money is Johnson's Boucaniere in Lafayette.

I hit all the popular smokehouses in New Orleans over the years and they're really laughable. The one that draws the most praise uses a Southern Pride smoker for crissake. But, New Orleans is still the best food city in the US, and I get to go home to Austin 3-4 times a year and gorge at Micklethwait's so it balances out.
    Jump to:
    © 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5