Field Report: Robear’s Snowballs In Harahan Louisiana (est. 1965)

Author
scrumptiouschef
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2266
2018/07/07 11:23:04 (permalink)

Field Report: Robear’s Snowballs In Harahan Louisiana (est. 1965)

http://www.scrumptiouschef.com/2018/07/05/field-report-robears-snowballs-in-harahan-louisiana/

3 Replies Related Threads

BuddyRoadhouse
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6243
    Re: Field Report: Robear’s Snowballs In Harahan Louisiana (est. 1965) 2018/07/07 13:20:09 (permalink)
    interesting; your description of the chocolate syrup.  It brought to mind a late lamented Italian Ice parlor here in Chicago, Tom & Wendee's.  They served a Chocolate Italian Ice that was as rich, if not richer than most chocolate ice creams.  Not a molecule of dairy in the stuff, but it still had a full "mouth feel" that brought to mind a high quality Gelato.  The flavor leaned toward dark chocolate as opposed to a lighter milk chocolate.  That might have contributed to the perception of richness in this confection made entirely of ice and syrup.

Looking at the outdoor menu, the prices are astonishingly reasonable.  A quart of Italian Ice would be double what they're charging.  Dang, I gotta get me back down to NOLA.

Buddy
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 9479
    Re: Field Report: Robear’s Snowballs In Harahan Louisiana (est. 1965) 2018/07/07 13:43:39 (permalink)
    BuddyRoadhouse
    interesting; your description of the chocolate syrup.  It brought to mind a late lamented Italian Ice parlor here in Chicago, Tom & Wendee's.  They served a Chocolate Italian Ice that was as rich, if not richer than most chocolate ice creams.  Not a molecule of dairy in the stuff, but it still had a full "mouth feel" that brought to mind a high quality Gelato.  The flavor leaned toward dark chocolate as opposed to a lighter milk chocolate.  That might have contributed to the perception of richness in this confection made entirely of ice and syrup.

Looking at the outdoor menu, the prices are astonishingly reasonable.  A quart of Italian Ice would be double what they're charging.  Dang, I gotta get me back down to NOLA.

Buddy

Delicious chocolate Italian ice is a common choice in New Jersey -New York area. Growing up in North Jersey in the 50's most called what we today call Italian ice, "lemon Ice" after the original flavor. Lead to my younger sister always asking for "chocolate lemon ice". No one behind the counter thought anything of it. Apparently "lemon ice was the treat and chocolate the flavor!!
    scrumptiouschef
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2266
    Re: Field Report: Robear’s Snowballs In Harahan Louisiana (est. 1965) 2018/07/07 13:59:54 (permalink)
    A quart of homemade ice cream at Robear's is five bucks. A pint of locally made ice cream at area supermarkets is five bucks. Robear's is 10 miles from our house but we still make the drive.
    Jump to:
    © 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5