Helpful ReplyHot!Find new places or hit up the established Roadfood finds?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
chickenplucker
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 715
2017/04/07 09:14:05 (permalink)

Find new places or hit up the established Roadfood finds?

Just for discussion how do you use Roadfood the most? Do you search the options listed when traveling to a local or do you research the area and look for your own finds to be added to the site or just discussed in a trip report? I tend to do a little of both but lean more towards the side of finding that new spot that has been doing it Roadfood style for years and hasn't been discovered by social media other than local. What say you?
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4649
Re: Find new places or hit up the established Roadfood finds? 2017/04/07 09:28:01 (permalink)
I typically check Roadfood listings first especially when visiting a new area.  After that, Trip Reports and then research for new places.  Similar to you, a mix but Roadfood orientated.  
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8751
Re: Find new places or hit up the established Roadfood finds? 2017/04/07 09:54:27 (permalink)
When travelling in Europe,or even here, I like to ask locals for recommendations. I've made some major discoveries that way. My favorite restaurant in Italy was called "a cab ride away" from our hotel...and we were so glad we took that cab! Visiting a new city, ask.
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10071
Re: Find new places or hit up the established Roadfood finds? 2017/04/07 09:59:51 (permalink)
A little bit of both, especially if the Roadfood reviews are regionally appropriate. Every one in a while  roadfood reviews are not quite as regionally appropriate as  I would hope ie...The Twin Cities  (lots of Farm to Table Stuff)and Denver (anything but regional)  come to mind, or there are a dearth of reviews in the area I'm visiting. That's when I start doing my own research.
post edited by wanderingjew - 2017/04/07 10:10:22
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re: Find new places or hit up the established Roadfood finds? 2017/04/07 11:03:08 (permalink)
Breaking News - Minnesota now has farms!  
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re: Find new places or hit up the established Roadfood finds? 2017/04/07 11:04:38 (permalink)
Forgot to add, I communicate with a lot of Roadfooders both asking for recs and meeting up along the way.  Just recently, I asked a Roadfooder about Savannah....

wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Find new places or hit up the established Roadfood finds? 2017/04/07 11:09:22 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner

So does Rhode Island !

I love my local "eat like a local" farm to table restaurant. It's only a mile away and it's always so busy that they have valet parking- one of the best burgers in Rhode Island too!
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re: Find new places or hit up the established Roadfood finds? 2017/04/07 11:12:51 (permalink)
wanderingjew
ChiTownDiner

So does Rhode Island !

I love my local "eat like a local" farm to table restaurant. It's only a mile away and it's always so busy that they have valet parking- one of the best burgers in Rhode Island too!

My favorite...Sea to Table for my Stuffies...
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Find new places or hit up the established Roadfood finds? 2017/04/07 11:22:56 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2017/04/07 11:25:17
ChiTownDiner
wanderingjew
ChiTownDiner

So does Rhode Island !

My favorite...Sea to Table for my Stuffies...

Tourist!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 22547
Re: Find new places or hit up the established Roadfood finds? 2017/04/07 11:46:14 (permalink)
wanderingjew
ChiTownDiner

So does Rhode Island !

Burgers are not regionally appropriate in Rhode Island.
chickenplucker
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Find new places or hit up the established Roadfood finds? 2017/04/07 11:56:55 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner
Forgot to add, I communicate with a lot of Roadfooders both asking for recs and meeting up along the way.  Just recently, I asked a Roadfooder about Savannah....

How did that work out for you? 
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Find new places or hit up the established Roadfood finds? 2017/04/07 12:02:28 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman
wanderingjew
ChiTownDiner

So does Rhode Island !

Well it certainly isn't Los Angeles than land of ordinary mediocre burgers.
I can't think of anything more regionally appropriate.  Ask 1 million Rhode Islanders (not those who haven't lived here since the 1970's)
felix4067
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4706
Re: Find new places or hit up the established Roadfood finds? 2017/04/07 13:09:04 (permalink)
If I'm going somewhere I know well I'll have favourites that are "must stop" places, so I'll only really use RF if I'll be there long enough to exhaust that list. Otherwise, I'm typically searching for new places. I haven't been able to travel as much as I used to for a few years and in the interim things have changed and my usual destinations are no longer options, so in the future I should be seeking all sorts of new ideas for food. Those will be a combination of things recommended here and things I find either by asking locals or searching on my own, and I may well end up trying my hand at writing trip reports at some point.
post edited by felix4067 - 2017/04/07 13:10:21
Wintahaba
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 681
Re: Find new places or hit up the established Roadfood finds? 2017/04/07 13:39:18 (permalink)
I will do research before...using Roadfood as a loose outline, unless it's something that is a "must visit". That way I can look and always have a fallback...unless TTM'ed.
billyboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2846
Re: Find new places or hit up the established Roadfood finds? 2017/04/07 13:40:32 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2017/04/07 15:25:39
Wanderingjew, come on, man!  We get it.  You don't care for the L.A. style of burgers.  That doesn't negate them as being regionally appropriate.  You're taking two different concepts ("regional appropriateness" and "not liking something") and using them interchangeably when they really aren't interchangeable.   The Apple Pan, Pie-n-Burger, Irv's, In-n-Out, and many others make a style that has been around for many years and they all seem to have a loyal following so they clearly have fans, just not you.  And that's ok.  

I grew up eating clam strips at fried seafood joints in Central NY.  My first whole belly clam in New England (at Shaw's in New Harbor, ME) was jiggly and gross to me.  If I employ your logic, then whole belly clams are not regionally appropriate and only clam strips are regionally appropriate.  It is possible to simply not care for or like certain foods that are regionally appropriate.  I'm sure Michael & Jane, Buffetbuster, ChiTownDiner and many others have certain regional foods they just don't like but I'd like to think that they still recognize their value as regionally appropriate.

If in the future, someone messages you on Roadfood/Facebook looking for one or two L.A. style burgers to try while they are traveling to Southern California, just say to them, "While I have travelled to L.A. many times and have tried their style of burgers I really don't care for them so I'm not the right person to ask.  Check in with Buffetbuster or The Travelin' Man as I think they really like them and might have some good recommendations for you."

lleechef
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11380
Re: Find new places or hit up the established Roadfood finds? 2017/04/07 14:02:39 (permalink)
wanderingjew
ChiTownDiner

So does Rhode Island !

I hope you don't think this "farm to table" crap is something new.  I was doing that in 1995 when we opened Black Cow because there was a very large farm 1 mile from the restaurant.  We had a 3 hour wait for a table on the weekends.

I do believe that Alice Waters has been doing this at Chez Panisse since 1971.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: Find new places or hit up the established Roadfood finds? 2017/04/07 14:56:16 (permalink)
wanderingjew
Michael Hoffman
wanderingjew
ChiTownDiner

So does Rhode Island !

Well it certainly isn't Los Angeles than land of ordinary mediocre burgers.
I can't think of anything more regionally appropriate.  Ask 1 million Rhode Islanders (not those who haven't lived here since the 1970's)

I'm trying to figure out how you can make an "ordinary mediocre burger(s)." You use good meat and season it. Shape it into a patty, cook it properly and put it on some decent bread of one sort or another and you can add stuff you like. What you have then is a terrific burger. Even in Los Angeles.
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re: Find new places or hit up the established Roadfood finds? 2017/04/07 15:24:07 (permalink)
chickenplucker
ChiTownDiner

i was thrown out of 5 places!
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Find new places or hit up the established Roadfood finds? 2017/04/07 15:31:26 (permalink)
billyboy
Wanderingjew, come on, man!  We get it.  You don't care for the L.A. style of burgers.  That doesn't negate them as being regionally appropriate.  You're taking two different concepts ("regional appropriateness" and "not liking something") and using them interchangeably when they really aren't interchangeable.   The Apple Pan, Pie-n-Burger, Irv's, In-n-Out, and many others make a style that has been around for many years and they all seem to have a loyal following so they clearly have fans, just not you.  And that's ok.  

I grew up eating clam strips at fried seafood joints in Central NY.  My first whole belly clam in New England (at Shaw's in New Harbor, ME) was jiggly and gross to me.  If I employ your logic, then whole belly clams are not regionally appropriate and only clam strips are regionally appropriate.  It is possible to simply not care for or like certain foods that are regionally appropriate.  I'm sure Michael & Jane, Buffetbuster, ChiTownDiner and many others have certain regional foods they just don't like but I'd like to think that they still recognize their value as regionally appropriate.

If in the future, someone messages you on Roadfood/Facebook looking for one or two L.A. style burgers to try while they are traveling to Southern California, just say to them, "While I have travelled to L.A. many times and have tried their style of burgers I really don't care for them so I'm not the right person to ask.  Check in with Buffetbuster or The Travelin' Man as I think they really like them and might have some good recommendations for you."

billyboy

Burgers are all about the beef. Michael Stern will tell you that Oklahoma is the burger capital of the nation- If you don't believe me, check out the new edition of Roadfood .  Every burger I've tried in LA has a bland beef patty stacked in between two buns. I've been to In an Out, and the Apple Pan and can vouch for that.

I'm surprised you haven't brought this up with others for absurdly dismissing  Boston cod cakes and beans as passé or  dismissing  Minnesota hotdish as a novelty gimmick for tourists, when the ulterior motive really is "we just don't care for it" "or we are known for more than that" is that because they are all correct, and I am wrong ?

***edit***

Just because I don't care for something doesn't mean I don't accept it as regional

I don't care for loosemeats or butter burgers but accept them as regional and even though Juicy Lucy's(which I can take or leave)  weren't actually invented in the Twin cities, I begrudgingly accept them as being regional.

Besides slapping avocado onto it, if someone can explain how an LA Burger is different , then perhaps I'll accept them as regional. My premises is that many here on the forum think LA has the best burgers in the world, however I suspect Texas, Oklahoma and most of the heartland would vehemently disagree

post edited by wanderingjew - 2017/04/07 17:44:11
chickenplucker
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Find new places or hit up the established Roadfood finds? 2017/04/07 15:31:40 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2017/04/07 15:41:58
ChiTownDiner
chickenplucker
ChiTownDiner

i was thrown out of 5 places!

I told them you were coming. ...
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Find new places or hit up the established Roadfood finds? 2017/04/07 20:11:26 (permalink)
There you go. I didn't make up this list.
saps
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1605
Re: Find new places or hit up the established Roadfood finds? 2017/04/07 20:17:04 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2017/04/07 21:12:10
Never ask the people at the front desk at a Hampton Inn where to go eat- a lesson I learned early on in my business travel days.
mar52
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11446
Re: Find new places or hit up the established Roadfood finds? 2017/04/07 20:26:17 (permalink)
I do a little of everything.  I just found out on Facebook that there is a Jerk Restaurant not far from where I live.  It's been there awhile and I had no idea!

It will be visited in a couple of weeks.
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re: Find new places or hit up the established Roadfood finds? 2017/04/07 21:12:51 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby wanderingjew 2017/04/08 08:33:48
wanderingjew

Fake news!
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Find new places or hit up the established Roadfood finds? 2017/04/08 08:39:04 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner
wanderingjew

Fake news!

Yeah... just like the "hipster hotdish movement  (as quoted by Davydd) in Minnesota, oddly, bizarrely and yes, supernaturally coincided with Minnesota restaurants that lacked a complete web presence for years finally posting their web pages and daily specials after facebook other forms of social media became popular.
You know now that I think about it, with  my hotdish buzz on roadfood between 2008 and 2011, I should deserve all the credit for that! 
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re: Find new places or hit up the established Roadfood finds? 2017/04/08 08:43:46 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby wanderingjew 2017/04/08 08:45:15
wanderingjew
ChiTownDiner
wanderingjew

Fake news!

Yeah... just like the "hipster hotdish movement  (as quoted by Davydd) in Minnesota, oddly, bizarrely and yes, supernaturally coincided with Minnesota restaurants that lacked a complete web presence for years finally posting their web pages and daily specials after facebook other forms of social media became popular.
You know now that I think about it, with  my hotdish buzz on roadfood between 2008 and 2011, I should deserve all the credit for that! 

You are the Creator...and on the 7th day, there was NO rest! 
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7919
Re: Find new places or hit up the established Roadfood finds? 2017/04/08 08:53:31 (permalink)
mar52
I just found out on Facebook that there is a Jerk Restaurant not far from where I live.

I think you'd fit in better at a Cool Person Restaurant.

chickenplucker
Just for discussion how do you use Roadfood the most? Do you search the options listed when traveling to a local or do you research the area and look for your own finds to be added to the site or just discussed in a trip report? I tend to do a little of both but lean more towards the side of finding that new spot that has been doing it Roadfood style for years and hasn't been discovered by social media other than local. What say you?

That's pretty much my approach, too.  I do like to use the forums here (I don't own any Roadfood books) as a resource but there's something about that feeling of discovery, and in that vein I have to say that Google Maps plays a big part when I plan a trip.
1bbqboy
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5342
Re: Find new places or hit up the established Roadfood finds? 2017/04/08 09:07:13 (permalink)
The Sterns have never come within a few hundred miles from me, so not at all as far as the books.
billyboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2846
Re: Find new places or hit up the established Roadfood finds? 2017/04/08 12:43:40 (permalink)
wanderingjew
billyboy

billyboy

Burgers are all about the beef. Michael Stern will tell you that Oklahoma is the burger capital of the nation- If you don't believe me, check out the new edition of Roadfood .  Every burger I've tried in LA has a bland beef patty stacked in between two buns. I've been to In an Out, and the Apple Pan and can vouch for that.

I'm surprised you haven't brought this up with others for absurdly dismissing  Boston cod cakes and beans as passé or  dismissing  Minnesota hotdish as a novelty gimmick for tourists, when the ulterior motive really is "we just don't care for it" "or we are known for more than that" is that because they are all correct, and I am wrong ?

***edit***

Just because I don't care for something doesn't mean I don't accept it as regional

I don't care for loosemeats or butter burgers but accept them as regional and even though Juicy Lucy's(which I can take or leave)  weren't actually invented in the Twin cities, I begrudgingly accept them as being regional.  "It is possible for a food to become a regional specialty in a region other than the one in which it originated or even be a regional specialty in more than one region at the same time." - billyboy

Besides slapping avocado onto it, if someone can explain how an LA Burger is different , then perhaps I'll accept them as regional. My premises is that many here on the forum think LA has the best burgers in the world, however I suspect Texas, Oklahoma and most of the heartland would vehemently disagree  "I think that the burger being cooked on a griddle, the composition of toppings and the presentation of the burger wrapped in paper (aka the "burger diaper") are all part of what makes them a regional specialty.  I don't know of any other region offering them this way at multiple places (or at all).  Maybe people on the forums think that L.A has the best burgers in the world.  Maybe you think Oklahoma does.  Maybe everyone in Texas, Oklahoma and the heartland agrees with you 100%.  The thing is that when it comes to deciding if a food is or is not a regional specialty...none of that matters.  We have to be able to check our egos and personal likes/dislikes at the door and look at it objectively.  Obviously, none of the criteria I listed below are absolute or scientific, but I've found them to make for a pretty reliable barometer over the years.  Like the Stern's Roadfood radar of whimsical animals atop a building, law enforcement vehicles in the parking lot, boomerang patterns on the table and a fairly unique ordering system, I've found that the criteria below have served me well in my ongoing search for regional specialties." - billyboy

"As far as burgers are all about the beef I have to agree to disagree on that point.  I've had many burgers that I thought we're pretty great where the beef wasn't the focal point but rather part of an ensemble.  I read more than a few reviews by Michael Stern where he has tried a sandwich, burger or a dish where the individual components weren't anything special, but put together they became something altogether different and wonderful.  Maybe the midwest has the best burgers and maybe Oklahoma is the burger capital of the nation but that doesn't mean that other regional styles should be rendered as invalid.  I know plenty of people who just don't like or "get" why there is a fuss about steamed cheeseburgers in Connecticut.  I love 'em and I think that 1.) since it is a style found pretty much only in the region (I think there was a place in Central/Western MA at one time), 2.) there are multiple places serving them, 3.) they have a long history in the region 4.) they have a loyal following and 5.) people in the region debate who makes the best version, that those are the criteria upon which something can be determined to be a regional specialty." - billyboy

"Honestly, regarding the Boston cod cakes & beans and Minnesota hotdish debate, I really don't recall others bringing it up all that much.  It might be because some of those members are no longer on Roadfood or are relatively inactive.  It also might be that I didn't follow the debates that closely as those are dishes that just don't interest me as much as burgers.  You do seem to be the one who resurrects those debates most often using the "Pied Piper of Roadfood" argument.  If you could send me some links to those debates I would like to read them.  I do know that you tend to bring up your feelings on L.A. style burgers somewhat regularly so it's hard to forget.  I just seems like you have a real "thing" for making the case that those burgers lack a "regionally appropriate" pedigree." - billyboy  
post edited by billyboy - 2017/04/08 12:45:22
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: Find new places or hit up the established Roadfood finds? 2017/04/08 16:11:26 (permalink)
saps
Never ask the people at the front desk at a Hampton Inn where to go eat- a lesson I learned early on in my business travel days.

Several years ago I checked into a Hampton Inn in Staunton, Virginia. I knew about Mrs. Rowe's, but I asked the desk clerk about any other good places and he told me Kathy's just down the road was the best restaurant in town. It wasn't.
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5