Helpful ReplyHot!Firearm lovers.

Page: << < ..2122232425.. > >> Showing page 23 of 26
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Firearm lovers. 2014/11/18 08:57:06
I've never been much of a shotgun guy, a Mossberg 500 serves my purposes well.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Firearm lovers. 2014/11/18 10:24:08
I have one, too. Not only that, I used to date Barbara Mossberg. Her father was the Mossberg of Mossberg Firearms.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Firearm lovers. 2014/12/17 07:45:07
This thread has been a bit dormant lately, for several reasons...my searching and trading has really been cut back due to the health limitations...but I am alert to what's going on in this area with the hobby.
   The Annual New Years Auction up in the Indianapolis area is coming up soon. This year I have entered 14 firearms in the consignment sale. Some are pretty nice and some are shelf-clearing bargains...we'll see what kind of response we get from the bidding. So far there are over 825 items listed for sale about 3/4 of them firearms. It is interesting to watch the early bidding online, then see the actual live auction that finalizes the sale on each gun.
Here's the web-listing if you want to look at the total list. I will share the lot numbers of my entries with anyone who wants to know, but won't make them public here.
https://www.proxibid.com/...log.asp?aid=89033#cnTb

MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Firearm lovers. 2014/12/21 01:29:03
I built my 1st SBR last week after receiving my $200 tax stamp. It is an 11.5" barrel AR-15 in 5.56. It shoots well and is decently quiet with my .30 cal suppressor. I'll get a picture up when I get home from Orlando.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Firearm lovers. 2014/12/21 11:13:24
WOW! Can't wait to see it.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Firearm lovers. 2014/12/27 00:57:10
Are you going to carry it up a sleeve, Mike??

On a different tack, It looks as though Indiana is finally going to open it's Deer Hunting Firearms Regs to include rifles- caliber .243 and up (no .223 permitted). The final vote in the Legislature has yet to happen be it looks as if the committee will support passage. Lots of other minor changes too, but the big change deals with acceptable calibers.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Firearm lovers. 2014/12/27 10:14:15
Ohio allowed rifles this year for the first time. But straight-walled cartridges only.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Firearm lovers. 2015/01/04 10:48:58
One of my sons and a grandson decided they needed my assistance at this auction New Years Day, so off we went. They had 913 guns and related items on the sale list so it was a very fast moving and busy day. Ammo went thru the roof (again). Especially the 22 LR. I had to laugh a bit I bought some on sale from Bass-Pro $20 a 325rd box w/free shipping.. sme box sold at the auction for $55 or $60--6they had several lots of single boxes. Same with 30-06 and 308 way over retail...
I did get a new AR and a new AK at $500 each with 5 mags for each and 150 rds of ammo for each in the deal
Two that may be 'Flips' for me are a very nice CZ 8mm Mauser modernized with really nice stock and scope. AND a Steyr ProHunter in .376 Steyr. I want to try this one out a bit before thinking of moving it out. It feels great, and the ballestics are super, so we will see, it may be a Keeper. I'll post photos shortly.

OH Yeah, The Boss is happy because the 14 guns I consigned to this sale brought in a check for over $4800. She is all smiles about firearms right now.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Firearm lovers. 2015/01/04 11:12:28
Way to go!
tmiles
Filet Mignon
Re:Firearm lovers. 2015/01/04 12:19:03
Took a chair in to be redone for Mom yesterday. The guy who we have used for years, is both a fabric guy AND a woodworker. We got talking about wood, and then high end guns......my attitude being "why bother, after paying enough for good enough", his attitude, "they cost extra for a reason". He went on to educate me as to the value of a top walnut stock, cut from the right section of an OLD tree, and why the stock, alone, can be worth over $1000. He says that it is especially important at really long range. He goes someplace to fire on a 1000 yd range. Even in my youth, I'd have been happy to hit the target at that range.

On TV early this AM, I saw the round being made for the new F-35 fighter. It is only 25mm, but can take out any known tank with just one hit. I also saw the new plastic cased ammo for what will be the new infantry weapon. I wonder if we will see plastic cased ammo for sporting rifles?
post edited by tmiles - 2015/01/04 17:53:00
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Firearm lovers. 2015/01/04 18:48:42
The experiments we see with exotic case materials and with "caseless" cartridges make me think the day will be coming that Brass or even the steel/zinc may be a thing of the past. Step beyond that to the Laser burst and other "Death Ray" Technologies that I would have laughed offsome time back, but now have to admit may have some credence for a future generation... but I won't be here to see it.

MH Do you have any experience with the 9.3x62mm round I have been offered a CZ 550 in that caliber and have never fired the caliber. How about the .376 Steyr. My new rifle sure 'feels' good, I have ammo coming and will report my reaction to it's shooting qualities when I can.   Anyone with knowledge of these two powerful European Calibers, share it with me when you can, Please.
Here are a couple of photos- One of my 12 gauge Saiga with a 5 round mag and the new AK with a 30 rd 7.62x39mm mag hanging on it.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Firearm lovers. 2015/01/04 19:17:23
Mr. Mayor, I have no experience with the 9.3x62mm, but I did get to fire the .376 Steyr back about seven or eight years ago. As I recall, it has pretty hefty recoil, but not enough to hurt. Seems to me they were touting it for large North American game (excluding the big bears) and some African plains game.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Firearm lovers. 2015/01/09 01:53:04
I wish I had bought a cpl Saiga 12s when they were $250 each. Hell wish I had bought more ChiCom 7.62x39 for $50 a thousand back in the late 80s. Even Russian Wolf for $85 a K in 2005ish.

Al 2 nice additions to your collection.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Firearm lovers. 2015/01/09 19:04:25
The Saiga has been a great Slug and Buckshot gun for me. I tend to stick to the 5 round mag as the drum is very heavy when full, and the 10 round stick extends so far out as to make handling a bit clumsey.
The AK is a new Serbian M-70 model (copy of the old). Workmanship seems pretty good with smooth metal and wood and good fitting. A couple of hundred rounds fired will also help smooth the action a bit.
  I put a "Tac-Scope" on the new DPMS AR-15, as it came with no sights at all. Have not had the chance to fire it yet, but just got a load of 223 ammo to feed it and will report back when I am able to sit on the deck and do some  100 yard gong ringing.
  Finally- A new Taurus 1911, couldn't resist this one, It has my signature grips on it already.

MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Firearm lovers. 2015/02/03 11:46:45
I picked up a Colt trooper Mark III in 22 Magnum a couple weeks ago. While .22 WMR isn't my favorite caliber I couldn't turn down the deal offered to me.

post edited by MikeS. - 2015/02/03 11:49:07
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Firearm lovers. 2015/02/03 11:54:28
I've been busy the last few days reloading. I loaded 3K rounds total of various pistol ammo. That'll keep me and the family, 5 of us, shooting for quite awhile. My Dillon 550b progressive press makes it easy to do.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Firearm lovers. 2015/02/03 12:05:54
I hate you.

I got rid of my reloading equipment a long time ago. I didn't think I'd need it anymore. WRONG!!!!!!

mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Firearm lovers. 2015/02/03 13:02:29
My hands are too shakey for the reloading skills anymore.
I'd scatter materials all over the bench these days.

I'm fitting a longer range scope to the Steyr .376. It has unusual scope mounts...two piece, but integral with the rings for the 3x9x40mm optics that are on the rifle now. They allow the 40mm scope lens to touch the barrel in front, and the bolt is nicking the scope when it is opened and pulled to the rear. So in order to get "higher" rings to allow more clearance, I have to get  new two-piece mounts first. Luckily the Browning A-Bolt mounts fit the Steyr, so it is just a matter of swapping them over, then mounting some taller rings. Since I am going that far, I'll increase the scope power to a 6x24x50mm to give me a longer reach for the big caliber gun. I'll do a before and after photo for you to add to this post when I get the work done.

Here is the gun the way it came with the bolt knob bumping the scope each time it is pulled to the rear. Raising the scope will cure that and also give clearence to the front edge of the objective lens which now rubs the barrel.

More to follow when the Mounts, Rings and new Scope arrive
post edited by mayor al - 2015/02/03 20:00:08
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Firearm lovers. 2015/02/06 23:13:46
Having difficulty uploading photos tonight.

I checked back some distance and see I did not post the photos of the SPRINGFIELD ARMORY M1A I acquired last Fall in a rather good trade transaction.
It is a Stainless Steel National Match 22" BBL Model with the Solid Walnut Wood Stock. It came with the two 10 Rd. and one 20 Rd. Magazines in the photo. I have since added another five 20 Rd. Mags for back-up.

Other than the SEMI-AUTO ONLY feature, and the lack of the Bayonet Lug, The Rifle is identical to the Military issue M-14 from the 1960-1980 era...and is still issued to some Special Operations Troops to meet Longer-Range Shooting Requirements.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Firearm lovers. 2015/02/07 10:24:10
And they're still shooting it in the National Matches at Camp Perry. So nice.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Firearm lovers. 2015/02/07 12:23:36
Thank you, Michael.
    It is difficult to address this rifle with the 'feminine' pronoun label, due to it's burly masuculine appearance and history. However, in researching the history of the development of the M-14, I find that the troops, Army and Marine alike, kept to the formal, "My Weapon" in public, but in private writings and conversations the Rifle assumed the Feminine role. When asked about comparing the M-14 to the M-4/M-16 in Afghanistan, often heard was " She did the job better, at longer range and with one round, than the M-16 could.
    Well,  She is indeed the QUEEN of my Armory.

Today we are trying to re-arrange the Scopes to best match them to the rifles they were meant to team up with I have four yet to pair up. a 3x9x40mm,  a 3x9x50mm  and a 4x10x56mm, and then a 6x24x50mm

I think I will try the 6x24x50mm on that .376 Steyr and see if I can do a 400 yard shot on a target. I have not attempted a long reach like that since moving East 15 years ago....It's hard to find a 400 yard clear shot in this part of Indiana.

The big lens- 56mm- will go on the Mossberg Varmit .223. I need more light for the evening and early morning coyotes that are raiding the neighborhood.

Do any of you have a Mauser WW II bolt-action rifle,
either a German 98 or some Kin to it?  
I Have A Question... is the 7.92mm round that it fired now called 8mm Mauser in sporting ammo ? I have a Czech VZ 24, the early version of the K98. All I read says it was made in 7.92mm and then in 1942 changed labels when the Germans took over the CZ gun production. No Caliber stamps on the barrel or receiver, but has VZ-24 stamps on the receiver. I have two boxes of USA Made new hunting ammo 8mm Mauser, for it, but will not fire it til I am sure I have the right caliber cartridge for what the gun is chambered. Not sure how to proceed.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Firearm lovers. 2015/02/07 13:34:54
They're one and the same Al. Have fun. Wear your eye and hearing protection.
Michael Stern
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Firearm lovers. 2015/02/08 06:13:19
I am just a little bit embarrassed about a recent purchase of a S&W Thunder Ranch 325. I don't like the stupid lock, I am not a big fan of the TR advertising etched into the frame, nor any of the other modern features (pre model number S&Ws are my thing). However, a friend was selling it at a good price and, more important, I have a ton of 45 Auto Rim ammo that I loaded many years ago, but somehow found myself with no gun to shoot it with. Has anyone else here bought a gun just because they have the ammo for it, or because they have a really nice set of grips, but not the right gun to put them on? In fact, it is a fantastic shooter; the performance center action is slick as can be.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Firearm lovers. 2015/02/08 10:47:41
No. But what a great idea. I do believe I'll order some new grips for something I don't have.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Firearm lovers. 2015/02/08 10:55:35
Michael,
  I feel your 'pain'. I have a big box full of various types and sizes of gunlocks ranging from from simple twist-ties to some that could secure a motorcycle to a tree ! The latest "built-in" versions seem to affect the traditional balance and handling, especially on double action revolvers like your Smith.
   The caliber that I seem to go back and forth on is .45/70. So far I have owned and sold two lever-long-guns and 'almost' purchased one more...then I past over two custom built single action revolvers, I see them now and then and have to talk myself out of buying another "Buffalo Gun".! have three boxes of 45/70 ammo I bought for the first of my rifles, fired about 6 rounds out of the total of 60 available, and have tormented myself for hours over the idea of owning that Big Bore Gun, knowing my days of doing another Bison Hunt are probably nil.
    Maybe you can counsel me as to why I am taking such pains to fit good optics to my new STEYR SBS PROHUNTER (Caliber .376 Steyr) It is another large game rifle and I love the feel and can't wait to get some warm weather to allow range-time to zero it.   But I have no use for the big guy...
     BTW, We are not alone in our search for an answer... there are others here....
Michael Stern
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Firearm lovers. 2015/02/08 11:13:11
mayor al
Michael,
  I feel your 'pain'. I have a big box full of various types and sizes of gunlocks ranging from from simple twist-ties to some that could secure a motorcycle to a tree ! The latest "built-in" versions seem to affect the traditional balance and handling, especially on double action revolvers like your Smith.
   The caliber that I seem to go back and forth on is .45/70. So far I have owned and sold two lever-long-guns and 'almost' purchased one more...then I past over two custom built single action revolvers, I see them now and then and have to talk myself out of buying another "Buffalo Gun".! have three boxes of 45/70 ammo I bought for the first of my rifles, fired about 6 rounds out of the total of 60 available, and have tormented myself for hours over the idea of owning that Big Bore Gun, knowing my days of doing another Bison Hunt are probably nil.
    Maybe you can counsel me as to why I am taking such pains to fit good optics to my new STEYR SBS PROHUNTER (Caliber .376 Steyr) It is another large game rifle and I love the feel and can't wait to get some warm weather to allow range-time to zero it.   But I have no use for the big guy...
     BTW, We are not alone in our search for an answer... there are others here....

I, too, have a bunch of .45/70 ammo that I loaded a while ago, and a couple of nice rifles to shoot it with have come and gone, but I did manage to keep one somewhat Frankensteinian Siamese Mauser converted to .45-70. It is built like a tank and really accurate, but since I separated my right shoulder a while back, I am now afraid to shoot it! Currently I have ammo, but no gun for: 44-40, .348 Winchester, 25-20, and .33 Winchester.

As for why you are obsessing about getting the right optics for the .376 Steyr even though you'll never hunt with it, I would say the answer is, "because it's there." Yours is a larger-scale version of my obsession to get nice holsters for guns I would never dream of carrying.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
☄ Helpfulby Michael Stern 2015/02/08 15:09:42
Re:Firearm lovers. 2015/02/08 11:32:51
Oh, don't get me started about the holsters I have no need for but bought anyway.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Firearm lovers. 2015/02/08 13:49:23
Here's the .376 Steyr with it's new 3x9x56mm "see in the dark" scope mounted. I tried the 6x24x50mm , but the eye relief wasn't right for the heavy recoil expected from this rifle. I will save the bigger scope for a .223 that won't hurt me when I get up close to the scope.

mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Firearm lovers. 2015/02/08 14:17:50
I don' think of the box full of grips, I'm just glad I took the time to label (most of) them with what they fit ! Same with a box of Magazines... funny how Guns come and go, but the magazines seem to find a home and stay put..
Right now I have just two spare scopes, but I have a box full of mounts and rings of all types, sizes and colors.
Holsters?? "We donnn need no steekin' Hosters !!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Firearm lovers. 2015/02/08 15:39:18
Speaking of scopes, I've decided to finally go ahead and scope my Smith & Wesson 460XVR. It's about time I admitted I need the help.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Firearm lovers. 2015/02/08 16:47:41
Please post a photo of the finished  handgun, will you, please. Michael. I looked at a 460 at an auction a couple of years ago, but didn't bid on it...I should have. I'd like to see how the scope mount actually works, never seen one up close.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Firearm lovers. 2015/02/09 23:39:18
Along with the Steyr, I purchased a modernized CZ VZ-24 chanbered for (now) the 8mm Mauser round. The VZ-24 was the early version of what became the WWII K98 Czech model of the Mauser rifle. the VZ-24 disappeared when Germany took over the Czech arms production in the early stages of WW II. This has been restocked and barreled, and is about as clean and modern a 'sporterized bolt-action military rifle as I have ever handled. I am looking forward to shooting it this Spring.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Firearm lovers. 2015/02/10 11:10:25
Did I just hear some barking with subtitles reading, "But we don't hunt Cairns, do we?"
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Firearm lovers. 2015/02/10 11:32:54
MH- Our two girls, the Scottie and the Cairns are pretty gun-shy (noise-shy), but Shooting got McDuff into full alert mode, we had to leash him to keep him from running 'down-range' to see what we had shot... Now Mr Gibbs is showing that sort of attention when we test some smaller arms off the back deck. We'll see how he reacts to the Big Bore guns when it warms up. Cairns are tunnelers, going after rabbits and other burrowing small game... We have a bunch of Bunnies, and Moles by the bucketful. Hopefully the dogs will develope their skills quickly this spring.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Firearm lovers. 2015/02/10 12:04:29
Mr. Mayor, we just happen to have tons of sweet little cottontails and enough moles to keep such dogs busy for days. Once you have the trained bring 'em on by.
tmiles
Filet Mignon
Re:Firearm lovers. 2015/02/20 17:33:19
Michael Hoffman
Speaking of scopes, I've decided to finally go ahead and scope my Smith & Wesson 460XVR. It's about time I admitted I need the help.

A scope doesn't help me much. I can still see the target ok, but I can't hold the rifle (or pistol) still. The last time that I shot, in the fall, I couldn't hold much more that a 1 foot group at 100 yds with 22LR. (standing, offhand) Time for a bipod or a sandbag!!!! 
post edited by tmiles - 2015/02/20 17:35:12
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Firearm lovers. 2015/02/20 18:15:46
tmiles
Michael Hoffman

A scope doesn't help me much. I can still see the target ok, but I can't hold the rifle (or pistol) still. The last time that I shot, in the fall, I couldn't hold much more that a 1 foot group at 100 yds with 22LR. (standing, offhand) Time for a bipod or a sandbag!!!! 

Stop shooting offhand.
From a bench bags are great. For sitting or standing take a look at these:

http://www.cabelas.com/category/Shooting-Sticks-Bipods/104564880.uts
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Firearm lovers. 2015/02/22 09:57:09
II bought a box of "Misc Stuff" at a recent auction for $10. In it was- among other things= this pistol shooters rest. It works well from a desktop table.

post edited by mayor al - 2015/02/22 10:00:07
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Firearm lovers. 2015/02/22 11:05:15
Just what I need when deer hunting with my .460.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Firearm lovers. 2015/02/22 11:38:08
Michael, Next time you're in the neighbor hood try it on for size,
We can work a long term lease arraignment or perhaps I'll just put you in my will...

All kidding aside, I don't use it, check it out and we'll talk.
post edited by mayor al - 2015/02/22 11:39:48
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Firearm lovers. 2015/02/22 13:40:26
mayor al
Michael, Next time you're in the neighbor hood try it on for size,
We can work a long term lease arraignment or perhaps I'll just put you in my will...

All kidding aside, I don't use it, check it out and we'll talk.

Well Al, if I could figure out a way to get it into the woods without having to carry it around ... .
Treetop Tom
Cheeseburger
Re: Firearm lovers. 2015/02/23 21:21:28
I've always been intrigued by older shotguns and have inherited numerous examples, some good others not so good. Several older male family members have proudly presented me with old "heirlooms" that grandpa or great-grandfather fought off the Yankees/Rebels/Indians with. God bless 'em.

Two good examples from Dad - a Winchester Model 12 in 16 gague (with dreadful vari-choke) and my favorite double gun, a Winchester Model 24 in 12 gague. Not fancy, but good examples of heirlooms. A bit of a pain to buy shells for the M12 with its short chamber, but I don't shoot it much so I can deal with it.

Two bad examples from relatives - a Belgian knock-off of a Westley Richards "from the Civil War." Ugh. Under it, a Central Arms held together, in part, by black electrical tape. Why do I still have two guns I wouldn't even think of hanging on the wall? True, they were given to me and I don't want to offend my great Uncles, but you'd better believe next time the State has another "gun buyback" I'll have two Junkers to add to the pile.
post edited by Treetop Tom - 2015/02/25 16:49:05

Attached Image(s)

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: Firearm lovers. 2015/02/23 22:00:44
I love your Model 12, despite the Vari-choke (are you sure it's a Herter's Vari-choke and not a Poly-Choke?). That wouldn't happen to be a Colt Woodsman in that photo, would it?
Treetop Tom
Cheeseburger
Re: Firearm lovers. 2015/02/23 22:10:45
Michael Hoffman
I love your Model 12, despite the Vari-choke (are you sure it's a Herter's Vari-choke and not a Poly-Choke?). That wouldn't happen to be a Colt Woodsman in that photo, would it?

You're right on the Poly-Choke, Michael. But the pistol, the first I ever owned, is a Ruger Mark I Target with the bull barrel circa 1965.
post edited by Treetop Tom - 2015/02/23 22:13:32
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: Firearm lovers. 2015/02/24 12:41:05
Ah, OK. I guess it was just the way it photographed. It reminded me of the Woodsman. I have a variant called the Huntsman, and I love it. They still make the Poly-Choke, but I don't believe the Vari-choke is still available.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Firearm lovers. 2015/03/20 14:15:15
I had a trade deal 'sneak up' on me yesterday. I came across a local listing for a Marlin lever action Guide Gun in .450 Marlin caliber. That's one step up from the 45-70 Govt. cartridge that was the mainstay of large game hunting in the USA some years ago. Well after some discussion I parted with a Taurus Model 44 SS 44 magnum revolver with a box of 50 rounds of ammo in trade for the rifle, with a good 3x9x40mm scope mounted on "see-thru" rings, and a wide-strap sling, and a box of Hornaday Ammo.

The rifle is in fine condition, with an 18.5" ported barrel and walnut stock. Since I still have two 44 handguns and the Ruger 44 mag bolt action carbine, I didn't feel the loss of the relvolver too much.

Here is my new (to me) BROWN BEAR GUN..AND THE AMMO FOR IT.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: Firearm lovers. 2015/03/20 14:33:18
Mr. Mayor, You made a good deal. Next time you head to Alaska you've got your brown bear gun.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Firearm lovers. 2015/03/20 15:01:00
Thank you Michael.  I have regretted trading away my lever-action 45-70 a couple of years ago, and was hoping to find a way to 'restore' it without kicking out a lot of cash. This trade gave me LITERALLY more BANG for my trade bucks... as the .450 Marlin has a bit more "Umph" than the 45-70.
While our woods are not packed with large Bears, Unsavory critters do show up in the area and this rifle, teamed with the rest of the arsenal should keep them at bay, or better prevent any bad things from happening.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: Firearm lovers. 2015/03/20 15:21:19
Mr. Mayor, if a move to Alaska was ever likely one of my first acquisitions would be a Marlin Guide Gun in .450 Marlin. The second would be a .460 Smith and Wesson Magnum with a three-inch barrel. I know. I know. I already have a .460 S&W, but it's not exactly a carry gun with it's 8-3/8 inch barrel.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Firearm lovers. 2015/03/20 21:01:15
The gun I traded away for this rifle could have been that back-up revolver. A Taurus Model 44 4" SS 44 magnum.

For my personal cross-draw back-up revolver, I'll stay with my Ruger SA SuperBlackHawk 44 Magnum w/ the 5.25 bbl. anything larger bore is difficult for me to control without a shoulder stock or bipod.

We really enjoyed our visit to Alaska and Lisa extended a welcome that helped us find things that really made the trip special. If, and that is a major "IF" we were able to do it again we would focus on Salt Water Fishing, especially Halibut, but looking at Salmon and especially scallops as well. I am not a big fan of Salmon, but I'll push my walker over rocky shores with the tide coming in to tickle the big Sea Scallops. Janet swears she will use my burial insurance money to go after a trophy Halibut using chunks of Mayor for bait!!

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: Firearm lovers. 2015/03/20 21:16:24
Surprisingly, the .460 is not difficult. The design allows for an almost gentle push while still being authoritative. Now, a shorter barrel might result in more robust feel.

Lisa has told me that Janet really wants to tie into a big halibut. And so does Lisa, again. What we need to do is sent the two of them up to Alaska in the summertime.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Firearm lovers. 2015/03/21 20:58:57
We will talk about this in the near future.
Meantime here is a photo of her Dream Catch !!

lleechef
Porterhouse
Re: Firearm lovers. 2015/03/22 10:58:28
Al,
I spent three days here last week but there was no fishing going on.  The season opened 2 days after I left but nobody was going out.....too cold and too windy.  Janet and I need to go to Homer in the summer to get us a couple of lunkers!!!!

MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Firearm lovers. 2015/04/03 03:18:37
If you ladies decide to go to Alaska for a fishing trip be sure to invite me along. I used to do quite a bit of offshore fishing when I lived in California. I'd love to try fishing trip out of Alaska.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Firearm lovers. 2015/04/03 03:21:34
We might be onto something here KeeMoSaaBee... Semi seriously MIKE, Janet said there might be some Roadfooders interested in a Halibut Package fishing trip out of either Homer or Seward...It may be too late for this season, but with some planning looking at a fly-drive trip in 2016 if you are serious about acting as the "Scoutmaster".
  I will not be able to participate, but I support Janet's getting the trip she has dreamed of for years, Lisa...Michael?? others ??  I would think a group of 5 or 6 for a 6 Pack charter Boat and one large rental car/van would be about the optimum size...  Lots of planning to do,  but this could be a fun time

ANYONE ELSE INTERESTED IN A ROADFOOD HALIBUT/SALMON FISHING TOUR IN ALASKA SUMMER 2016--INDICATE INTEREST WITH A POST ON THIS THREAD...... If we have interest we will set up a seperate thread for planning the trip....
post edited by mayor al - 2015/04/03 13:50:26
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Firearm lovers. 2015/04/03 03:53:46
I've shot a cylinder full out of a S&W .500 and the recoil was surprisingly manageable. I've handled a .460 but I've never had the opportunity to fire one. One of these days I will.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Firearm lovers. 2015/04/03 03:57:28
Here are a couple of pictures of my SBR AR-15 in 5.56. I also have a 22 LR upper that will fit on here also.

The barrel on the 556 is 11.5inches I believe it is the same on the 22.

One of the great things about the AR it is very modular. With the lower being the firearm all I have to do is pay for one tax stamp for the SBR and then I can run multiple calibers and various length uppers on that lower.
post edited by MikeS. - 2015/04/04 13:42:10

Attached Image(s)

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: Firearm lovers. 2015/04/03 08:25:32
Nice.
lleechef
Porterhouse
Re: Firearm lovers. 2015/04/03 16:01:57
mayor al
We might be onto something here KeeMoSaaBee... Semi seriously MIKE, Janet said there might be some Roadfooders interested in a Halibut Package fishing trip out of either Homer or Seward...It may be too late for this season, but with some planning looking at a fly-drive trip in 2016 if you are serious about acting as the "Scoutmaster".
  I will not be able to participate, but I support Janet's getting the trip she has dreamed of for years, Lisa...Michael?? others ??  I would think a group of 5 or 6 for a 6 Pack charter Boat and one large rental car/van would be about the optimum size...  Lots of planning to do,  but this could be a fun time

ANYONE ELSE INTERESTED IN A ROADFOOD HALIBUT/SALMON FISHING TOUR IN ALASKA SUMMER 2016--INDICATE INTEREST WITH A POST ON THIS THREAD...... If we have interest we will set up a seperate thread for planning the trip....

Al, you know I'm definitely IN!  I'll even do the planning!!!!  I can't wait to see Janet land a big halibut!  I could arrange a float plane trip on the Kenai for salmon. 
Page: << < ..2122232425.. > >> Showing page 23 of 26