Helpful ReplyHot!Firearm lovers.

Page: << < ..2122232425.. > >> Showing page 25 of 26
Filet Mignon
Re: Firearm lovers. 2016/04/11 15:14:45
eruby
Two questions tmiles:

1) Is there a difference between the Utah non-resident permit and the lifetime non-resident permit? I have never heard of the lifetime permit.

2)  Does Massachusettes recognize the Utah permit?  I could only get the Utah non-resident permit without having the (very hard to get) Maryland permit because Maryland doesn't recognize the Utah permit.

Thanks!!

The Utah permit is NOT good in Mass, but you can GET it here, or so I understand from an adv from a local range that showed up on my roadfood page. I would suggest that you ask a school that offers the permit. I have only the Mass permit, approved by my local chief of police, but granted by the state. It is expensive enough as it is. I don't travel anymore, and wouldn't take a pistol, anyway, so I see no need to buy another license. 

Massachusetts gun laws are tough and tough to understand. Even though it was not required to renew I took the required class  for new applicants, offered by the Worcester Police Dept. It was reasonably priced and full of good info, but I knew less coming out than I thought that I did going in. The biggest thing that I learned was how little that I knew.

Uncle Groucho
Cheeseburger
Re: Firearm lovers. 2016/04/11 17:04:08
After I received my Indiana license I applied for and received the Florida permit and than the Utah permit. I only got the permit because I was bored and wanted something to do for 3 hours on a Saturday. The class and paperwork was around $150.00. Mine is lifetime. If the weather ever gets better I plan on going to the outdoor range by me, my area grew up fast and I don't shoot in my yard anymore. 
Karl

Uncle Groucho
Cheeseburger
Re: Firearm lovers. 2016/06/13 20:50:08
I brought out the air rifles today , I have my Gamo sighted in pretty good , i'm beating the hell out of a cheap frying at 100ft.
Karl
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: Firearm lovers. 2016/06/13 21:04:32
Uncle Groucho
I brought out the air rifles today , I have my Gamo sighted in pretty good , i'm beating the hell out of a cheap frying at 100ft.
Karl

A cheap frying? Frying pan? Would I be correct in assuming that your Gamo is scoped? I have mine sighted in for raccoons and woodchucks.
Uncle Groucho
Cheeseburger
Re: Firearm lovers. 2016/06/13 21:25:28
Yes it is scoped. The frying pan is one of the green coated ones , made of aluminum , my family gives me their old ones and I shoot them.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: Firearm lovers. 2016/06/13 21:49:42

Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re: Firearm lovers. 2016/06/14 02:49:28
Uncle Groucho
Yes it is scoped. The frying pan is one of the green coated ones , made of aluminum , my family gives me their old ones and I shoot them.

Won't they leak with all those holes in them???
tmiles
Filet Mignon
Re: Firearm lovers. 2016/07/11 09:56:43
The Marine Corps Gazette had a very nice insert, this month, on infantry battalion weapons. There have been big changes since I retired from the reserve.

The M9 9mm pistol is the same as at the end of my career. It is similar to one that you can buy, and maybe not as good as some of the more expensive civilian models.  We may go back to a .45, but not the 1911.

The M4, is a 5.56 rifle that is sort of an improved M16. It looks like the civilian, semi automatic, "assault rifle wannabes", but is capable of fully automatic fire, and can fire 700 to 950 rounds per minute. That rate of fire would quickly overheat it, and would  burn through available ammo fast, but it makes a modern day "Banzai" attack about as likely as a Calvary charge.  

For info on the other 17 weapons listed, you can go to the website, and look up the July issue.

It is interesting (at least to me), to note that the M2/M2A1 .50 machine gun is the same as when I got to use it,,,,,,,,,and it was old then. 
post edited by tmiles - 2016/07/11 17:57:15
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: Firearm lovers. 2016/07/11 11:02:40
Heck Recon Marines ( and other special ops folks) are already using .45s, including updated 1911s. And that Ma Deuce has been around longer than I have.
lleechef
Porterhouse
Re: Firearm lovers. 2016/07/11 11:07:39
Michael Hoffman
Heck Recon Marines ( and other special ops folks) are already using .45s, including updated 1911s. And that Ma Deuce has been around longer than I have.

NOTHING has been around that long.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: Firearm lovers. 2016/07/11 11:38:58
And I said good morning to you for this?
tmiles
Filet Mignon
Re: Firearm lovers. 2016/07/12 11:03:35
Michael Hoffman

There are some actual 1911s still in use. The one that I had when I was on active duty (BLT 3/4, 1973-4), was made during WW II, and was, in "used, excellent condition". I never saw a "worn out" 1911, although I'm sure that some did, in fact, "wear out". I don't know about the Marines, having been gone for so long, but the son of a friend (retired SF) is coming up on his 20 years and serves in a front line unit.  His unit's M9s  are flat out, worn out, and they are not that old. Granted, combat will do that but most M9 rounds are fired only in training (if you need to use it in combat, you are, as they say, in deep do do)

I'm glad that the "new" .45 may be made in Massachusetts, and nobody asked me, but there must be enough good 1911s in storage, to last for a long, long time, because they seem to (at least IMO) wear out very, very slowly.  The new one, I am told, is cheaper to produce than the 1911.

Mr Browning didn't live to see his M2 become the gold standard, but from what I have read about him, I doubt that he would be surprised.
ronnielee54
Junior Burger
Re: Firearm lovers. 2016/07/12 11:47:06

Are there any builders on here.
Top to bottom
6.5 Grendel
223 Wylde
22 LR
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: Firearm lovers. 2016/07/12 12:25:01
Mike S is a builder. Are you planning to hunt with the 6.5 Grendel?  The .223 Wylde is a really interesting one.
ronnielee54
Junior Burger
Re: Firearm lovers. 2016/07/12 13:59:38
No sir, not a hunter.  I have nothing against it but it is not my cup of tea.  These are all for the bench.  Built the 6.5 Grendel for more distance. 
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: Firearm lovers. 2016/07/12 15:44:55
I see. I asked because the 6.5 Grendel is an excellent deer round.
tmiles
Filet Mignon
Re: Firearm lovers. 2016/07/12 16:32:40
My Dad used a 30-30 for deer, but only in Vermont. Here in Massachusetts, it's deer slugs only, but the few hunters that I know go for the black powder season. It's really a joke. The black powder weapons that they use, are well made, and very accurate in the hands of a good marksman, not the "flintlocks" that the public thinks that they use. We need to do a better job with our deer in Massachusetts, but there is so much "input". IMO (and here I go with MY "input"), we need a longer season, more doe permits, and more hunters. If later in the season, a hunter can take some extra deer, good for him/her. I know that we want to be "fair", so that more folks can get "one" (and most folks get "none"), but at this point, I think that it is a primary concern to manage the herd. 
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: Firearm lovers. 2016/07/12 16:47:22
tmiles
My Dad used a 30-30 for deer, but only in Vermont. Here in Massachusetts, it's deer slugs only, but the few hunters that I know go for the black powder season. It's really a joke. The black powder weapons that they use, are well made, and very accurate in the hands of a good marksman, not the "flintlocks" that the public thinks that they use. We need to do a better job with our deer in Massachusetts, but there is so much "input". IMO (and here I go with MY "input"), we need a longer season, more doe permits, and more hunters. If later in the season, a hunter can take some extra deer, good for him/her. I know that we want to be "fair", so that more folks can get "one" (and most folks get "none"), but at this point, I think that it is a primary concern to manage the herd. 

The primary concern with game managers is always -- at least in my professional experience -- to manage the herd so that it is healthy, doesn't become over populated, and causes the least damage possible to crops. In order to do that they have to balance herd size with societal needs, making certain there is access and acreage for hunters, who are necessary if deer herds are to remain healthy, considering that without those hunters there'd be little or no money for wildlife conservation.
ronnielee54
Junior Burger
Re: Firearm lovers. 2016/07/13 12:27:21

This was the first rifle I built.  All KIDD parts except for the barrel.

Another one I built.  This one doesn't get shot as much as the others but is still a lot of fun to shoot.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: Firearm lovers. 2016/07/13 12:30:26
Wow!
tmiles
Filet Mignon
Re: Firearm lovers. 2016/07/14 16:32:16
Most Roadfooders don't read this section, but the ones who do may appreciate this:
A Good Day
I was about to graduate from The Basic School (TBS) in 1972. New Marine officers get more training than new officers in the other services, and we "all" went there to learn to be infantry officers, even the future pilots, prior enlisted, and future Motor Transport officers. In those days it was for 6 months, and now, I think it is about 4.

Some Congressmen came out to observe training, and the Captain was looking for volunteers to put on a "Dog and Pony Show" for them. Who wouldn't volunteer for this deal???

I got all of the 5.56 that I could carry, plus all the mags that I wanted, and a few of us at a time got to walk down a range, and shoot at pop up targets. I'm a big guy. Now, I'm fat, but then I was strong and could carry A LOT. Most guys took 10 or 15 mags, and loaded 'em up, but I took the Captain at his word, and loaded up with way over 100 lbs. I remember him looking at me, laughing. (They don't like me at "all you can eat" places)

I used full auto, with the goal of vaporizing the targets, without putting any rounds into the machinery. By the 3rd or 4th target, I was perfect. The M16 got really hot, and I could hold only the pistol grip, but was still able to keep it on target. Fun! After a while, I didn't need to pull the trigger, because when I put a new mag in, and let the bolt go home, the whole mag cooked off. The barrel glowed, but the rifle kept working. I just let the old mags drop,,,,,,,,we picked them up later, so a mag change took only seconds.

When I was done, the Captain said that he hoped that I had fun, because cleaning my rifle would be would not be much fun. It wasn't, but it was worth it. In those days, people were still complaining about "unreliable" M16s. I had not a single jam. A Congressman asked if I'd had a jam, or if I had a special rifle. He was pleased when I said,"No sir".

After that, my M16 was junk, but I had already fired for qualification. I will always wonder who got it after me, and if he/she wondered why it didn't shoot straight. 

Like I said, it was a fun day.
pineyhill
Cheeseburger
Re: Firearm lovers. 2016/07/21 14:29:36
Anyone here familiar with the Izhmash Biathalon 7-2-ko. Bought one back in mid 2000 for about $400.  Trying to find extra magazines, preferably the 10rd.  Seem very scarce.  This is a fun one to shoot, killed lots of thieving varmints around my place.  Very accurate.

Also looking for suggestions for optics on my Father's old hunting rifle want to replace the scope that's on it.  Rifle is a Winchester Model 70 chambered in .264 Win Mag.  Thinking about a Vortex Viper 2.5-8 or 3-9.

Tmiles, that was a great story!!!!
post edited by pineyhill - 2016/07/30 19:51:53
tmiles
Filet Mignon
Re: Firearm lovers. 2016/07/25 15:16:43
ronnielee54

I think that those look really good, and must have brought you great satisfaction as you built them. As of last week, you couldn't own them in Massachusetts. Our Attorney General (whom I am SICK to have voted for), via "executive order", banned the whole "look like assault rifle" class. The old law had been crafted after much debate, but our AG felt that greedy gun companies had skirted to rules to make barely legal rifles. About 50 rifles per day are sold in Mass. On the day before the ban, thousands were sold. In a fit that belongs on a comedy show, the AG has made those rifles not legal , even though they may have been legal when you bought them. Our AG has national ideas, and thinks that the "new" Supreme Court will back her.

I don't even own a shorter rifle. I prefer a longer one because I think that I can shoot better with it, but I am SICK that this new "law" has been passed..............well not really "passed", but rather dictated.
tmiles
Filet Mignon
Re: Firearm lovers. 2016/07/25 15:58:13
Sorry for the mistakes in the above.......I posted wrong and the edit function doesn't work.......but you get the gist.

ronnielee54
Junior Burger
Re: Firearm lovers. 2016/07/25 16:25:14
Arkansas is very liberal in a good way when it comes to gun laws.  We can just about have anything we want and it will probably stay that way for a long time.  
tmiles
Filet Mignon
Re: Firearm lovers. 2016/08/08 15:29:01
A daughter wants to learn to shoot, so I thought that I'd surprise her with a little .380. Not so fast.......the baby Rugers and Berettas are said to sell out the day that they come in. I like the "quality" of the Sigs but they are heavier, and have snag points, not to mention costing twice as much. Part of the problem is that to sell here, guns need to be "Massachusetts compliant", and when they are selling so well anyway, why would they bother to make them just for Massachusetts. ............and that answers the question as to why Massachusetts shooters with a valid Mass license would get an out of state license from another state. I think THAT is a dangerous slope. If I were to buy an out of state pistol, with a Utah permit, and it were to be stolen and used in a crime, I could go to jail.

A local, favorite, shop, where I bought my SR22, suddenly went out of biz. The story is that he couldn't get enough inventory of the stuff that people wanted. 

Used gun prices are up. For years, I have been looking for a Model 12 Remington .22, and a lever action Winchester 30-30, to replace ones that were stolen from my Dad over 30 years ago. (If you ever see a rifle with "MILES" branded in the stock, please get in touch,,,,,,,,,,he never sold any so branded). I like my used guns in excellent used condition.............used enough that I can shoot them (I don't personally like never fired collector versions), but not scuzzy or worn. Shoulda......Coulda .......Woulda... When they were in the $700 range I was looking to get them in the $600 range, and now they are $1000.
post edited by tmiles - 2016/08/08 15:39:14
eruby
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re: Firearm lovers. 2016/08/09 06:48:05
tmiles
 ............and that answers the question as to why Massachusetts shooters with a valid Mass license would get an out of state license from another state. I think THAT is a dangerous slope. If I were to buy an out of state pistol, with a Utah permit, and it were to be stolen and used in a crime, I could go to jail. ...........

I am confused by the two bolded sentences above.  When you say "out of state license from another state" in the first bolded, are you referring to a driver's license or a concealed carry license/permit?  In the second bolded where you say "If I were to buy an out of state pistol, with a Utah permit" as far as I know, that is not possible.  One can buy a long gun in any other state, as long as the laws of both states are followed, but one cannot buy AND take possession of a handgun in another state.  A handgun must be shipped to a FFL holder in your home state to complete the transaction.

And in the People's Republic of Maryland, to buy a handgun requires a HQL (handgun qualification license), along with a 16 hour training class, 'livescan only' fingerprints and you must get yourself to a range to fire one shot for the HQL. 
post edited by eruby - 2016/08/09 08:53:42
ronnielee54
Junior Burger
Re: Firearm lovers. 2016/08/09 09:37:35
Glad I live in the sticks.  We don't have time for all of that foolishness.  Go to the store, fill out your form, pay the money and leave.  In Arkansas we have what is called a constitutional carry law.  It allows you to carry a loaded weapon in your car if you are "traveling".  Our Attorney General has defined traveling as going out of county.  
tmiles
Filet Mignon
Re: Firearm lovers. 2016/08/09 11:42:56
eruby
tmiles
 ............and that answers the question as to why Massachusetts shooters with a valid Mass license would get an out of state license from another state. I think THAT is a dangerous slope. If I were to buy an out of state pistol, with a Utah permit, and it were to be stolen and used in a crime, I could go to jail. ...........

I am confused by the two bolded sentences above.  When you say "out of state license from another state" in the first bolded, are you referring to a driver's license or a concealed carry license/permit?  In the second bolded where you say "If I were to buy an out of state pistol, with a Utah permit" as far as I know, that is not possible.  One can buy a long gun in any other state, as long as the laws of both states are followed, but one cannot buy AND take possession of a handgun in another state.  A handgun must be shipped to a FFL holder in your home state to complete the transaction.

And in the People's Republic of Maryland, to buy a handgun requires a HQL (handgun qualification license), along with a 16 hour training class, 'livescan only' fingerprints and you must get yourself to a range to fire one shot for the HQL. 

I don't know the details, but "they say" that folks set up a short term residency in other states, in one way or another, and bring back "non compliant" guns here. As mentioned, I have never done it, and I don't know anybody specific who has. Personally it is not worth it to me to break local law. Were I to buy an out of state gun, I can get it shipped to a local dealer, pay a $25/$35 fee, and have a Massachusetts legal gun. I can't , however, buy a non Mass compliant gun and get it shipped here, because my local dealer would refuse to handle it. Right now, what I am looking for is a Mass compliant baby Beretta or Ruger .380. Due to some off line comments (thanks!!!), I'd like my daughter to fire both first, so I'll just rent them. A range that I go to has both, as well as the Sig, which is the one that they would prefer to sell to me, to be "delivered" to me  by as Mass dealer.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: Firearm lovers. 2016/08/09 11:59:37
What are the requirements for a firearm to Massachusetts compliant? Frankly, this is the first I've ever heard of such a thing for any state other than California. And would this compliance requirement mean that a person moving to Massachusetts would not be able to bring his firearms with him?
eruby
Re: Firearm lovers. 2016/08/09 12:40:39
Okay tmiles, now I see.  First you said 'using a Utah permit' but now you mention 'temporary residency' which makes more sense, but like you, I would never do it.  I could go to another state and buy a non-HBAR AR15, but that would be breaking Maryland law, so I would never do that.

Michael Hoffman, people moving to Maryland with an non-HBAR A15 must have purchased it prior to 10/1/2013 or it illegal to bring in and they must register all hanguns within 90 days of residency. Handguns sold in Maryland cannot have magazine with over 10 rounds.  The Free State indeed. 

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: Firearm lovers. 2016/08/09 13:30:40
eruby
Okay tmiles, now I see.  First you said 'using a Utah permit' but now you mention 'temporary residency' which makes more sense, but like you, I would never do it.  I could go to another state and buy a non-HBAR AR15, but that would be breaking Maryland law, so I would never do that.

Michael Hoffman, people moving to Maryland with an non-HBAR A15 must have purchased it prior to 10/1/2013 or it illegal to bring in and they must register all hanguns within 90 days of residency. Handguns sold in Maryland cannot have magazine with over 10 rounds.  The Free State indeed. 

Maryland doesn't permit the sale of ARs without heavy barrels? Why is that?
tmiles
Filet Mignon
Re: Firearm lovers. 2016/09/26 09:36:17
Uncle Groucho
Karl

My local WalMart  has no air guns,,,,, special order only. Tractor Supply has a few, mostly in the $50-$70 range (plus kid Red Riders). Yesterday at another WalMart, I saw a nice supply of adult air guns. Some are said to be "quiet", but I thought that they were all quiet,,,,,,,am I mistaken??
tmiles
Filet Mignon
Re: Firearm lovers. 2016/09/26 09:56:11
I'm waiting for my used, classic, Model 12, Remington .22 to get delivered to my local Cabella Store. It costed me $25 to get it shipped in from a Wisconsin Cabella, but I'm sure that I'll be happy with it. It looked to be in my sweet spot, price wise, and in good shooting condition. So many that I have looked at are junk, or collection quality, with few in the mid range.

It is a Pederson design, and I think that close to a million were built. I'm getting it to replace a Model 12 that my late dad used to take me shooting with. His was stolen in the late 60s or early 70s. He gave the SN to the police, and was of the opinion that it would show up "some day", but I'm told that no real data base exists for stolen guns from that era, and unless it is used in a crime, it could be re sold by unknowing people, again and again. 

My wife would comment that I don't need more than one .22 rifle (and don't really "need" the first), but just maybe, she will humor me and go shooting. For a lady who doesn't care much for guns, she is a good shot.    
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: Firearm lovers. 2016/09/26 13:06:43
tmiles
Uncle Groucho
Karl

My local WalMart  has no air guns,,,,, special order only. Tractor Supply has a few, mostly in the $50-$70 range (plus kid Red Riders). Yesterday at another WalMart, I saw a nice supply of adult air guns. Some are said to be "quiet", but I thought that they were all quiet,,,,,,,am I mistaken??

Well, my Gamo does make noise when fired.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: Firearm lovers. 2016/09/26 13:11:04
tmiles,

I'd love to have a Model 12. What a great rifle.
Uncle Groucho
Cheeseburger
Re: Firearm lovers. 2016/09/26 17:37:52
I have the same Gamo as MH , the pellet breaks the sound barrier every time , it is louder than my marlin.22.
They make a whisper Series that is much quieter and looks like an Olympic pellet rifle.
My Wife and 10 yr. old Daughter both participate with me when I bring out the air rifle and pistols , my next .22 will be a Ruger 10/22 , easily and cheaply modified and the ammo is cheap and plentiful.

The hot buy around here is the AR-15 style and AK-47 rifle , they are easily found and are modified with a very high rate of fire , good luck taking them to a range.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: Firearm lovers. 2016/09/26 19:25:59
I bought my 10/22 for around $50 at a Woolworth's at the Eastland Mall in Columbus more than 40 years ago. I still love it, and I could not possibly figure how many thousands of rounds have been run through it in that time.
Cheeseburger
Re: Firearm lovers. 2016/09/29 09:31:24
Took the two century-old Colts out this week. The 1911 dates from 1914, and the Police Positive Special came off the line at Hartford in 1910.

tmiles
Filet Mignon
Re: Firearm lovers. 2016/09/29 09:57:40
Top, are you a good shot, or did you fire from the 2 yard line?? Except for manufacturing advances, which IMO, only make guns cheaper, I don't think that today's guns are any better shooters than the ones of 100 years ago. I like the old ones. 

Glock showed us how to use plastic, and so I am told by an industry expert, Kimber has learned to make perfect pistols, right off the line. The expert mused about if there is really any difference, to the consumer, between a pistol from his company that is adjusted by a gun smith after it comes off the line, or a Kimber that already works perfectly, right off the line.   
the grillman
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Firearm lovers. 2016/09/29 11:29:46
Had a chance to go dove hunting this month with the start of the season over Labor Day weekend.   Here's a pic of my set up...Browning A-5, Light 20, Belgian, I inherited from my dad.  Early 60's, and still in excellent shape.  I take it out of the safe for special occasions...and the odd round of skeet.   This year it easily took a limit of doves.  Wanted to post this in his honor and as a nod to him, son to father.  He would have been 80 this month, and sadly left us too early 27 years ago.   We had a lot of good hunts together.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: Firearm lovers. 2016/09/29 13:04:04
Now that's a comfortable setup. And that's a great shotgun. Bu where's your cooler, and more important, where's the dog? I figured out years ago that doves were created by ammunition manufacturers for the sole purpose of selling more shotshells. With a 15 dove daily limit and a box of shells containing just 25 rounds I keep at least fifteen people working overtime at Federal on a single outing.
the grillman
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Firearm lovers. 2016/09/29 17:11:59
Michael Hoffman
Now that's a comfortable setup. And that's a great shotgun. Bu where's your cooler, and more important, where's the dog? I figured out years ago that doves were created by ammunition manufacturers for the sole purpose of selling more shotshells. With a 15 dove daily limit and a box of shells containing just 25 rounds I keep at least fifteen people working overtime at Federal on a single outing.

Good questions....you've been around.   Cooler was parked between me and my uncle, stocked well with fluids, some cheese sticks, jerky, and cold apples....(it's a food forum after all).   My son in law had one of his chocolate labs out with us; the only way to go.  No fun finding doves in tall grass or weeds.  She did a great job retrieving for us.    I only used about a 30-35 shells for my 15 doves; a really good day for me.   Being sure to keep the shots in range was important....no blasting away at streaking and juking doves over 40 yards away...   And, most importantly, ice cold beer washed down some excellent grilled dove at the end of the day.   Marinated the breasts in a bit of Italian dressing, (after a short soak in some brine to help get the blood out)  wrapped in some bacon, and fired up the grill.   Good eating.  
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: Firearm lovers. 2016/09/29 17:40:04
That sounds like a perfect day. I no longer have dogs so I have to hunt with friends who do. My dogs always hated doves. Oh, they'd retrieve them, but you didn't have any trouble knowing how they felt about it. They'd bring them back and practically spit them out in front of me and shake their heads with their mouths open as if to get rid of the taste.
tmiles
Filet Mignon
Re: Firearm lovers. 2016/10/02 11:07:04
Michael Hoffman
I bought my 10/22 for around $50 at a Woolworth's at the Eastland Mall in Columbus more than 40 years ago. I still love it, and I could not possibly figure how many thousands of rounds have been run through it in that time.

Today they are $209.98 at Dicks ("Sale $50 OFF"). I see them advertised for more used,,,,,,,,those must be upgraded models. That they can do it for $209.98 is, IMO, a tribute to American manufacturing. 
the grillman
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Firearm lovers. 2016/10/09 15:33:35
My wife sat down next to me on the couch the other night....I had the ballgame on; my usual vice in the evening...Cardinals couldn't make the playoffs; sad....anyway; she started asking me questions; a LOT of questions, about my shotguns...which she tolerates in the house....    I was really slow on the hints, as usual.  Our 10th anniversary was this week, and she let me know since it's a special one; well, I should buy myself another firearm.   She wanted to buy me one; and was asking our relatives what I'd like; but hey; she elected to have me pick it out....wow, I love this woman.  

I had had my eye on a nice Browning 20 gauge pump, lightly used, on another website; I have several Citoris already; and didn't want to spend that much money anyway....it should be here in about 10 days.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: Firearm lovers. 2016/10/10 10:41:16

KEEPER!

tmiles
Filet Mignon
Re: Firearm lovers. 2016/10/12 16:01:36
Smith & Wesson lost out on the contract for the new pistol (about 500,000 of them which seems to be an awful lot, since most of our soldiers, Marines, and air police are armed with 5.56 rifles). A guy in the know (he used to work for S&W) thinks that NH made Sigs may win out. Even partnered with General Dynamics, S&W couldn't pull it off. Too bad for Western Massachusetts, because they could use the good jobs.
tmiles
Filet Mignon
Re: Firearm lovers. 2016/10/16 09:22:54
Michael Hoffman
tmiles,

I'd love to have a Model 12. What a great rifle.

It finally came in, and I got to take it out this morning. I used 400+ fps, CB, short ammo, and firing from the 50 foot line,standing, off hand, I managed a 6 inch group (mostly 4). I think that I'm more accurate, off hand, than with my longer Winchester. I like the CB ammo, which costs a few cents more per round than the longs. It is quiet, still has the power to blow through 1/2 plywood at 50 ft, and slow enough that I can see and then hear the impact on the target. It is so quiet that I don't use ear protection, and in a fraction of a second, I hear the report, see the impact, and then hear the impact. I use a splatter target that turns black around the bullet impact site, so it is easy to see where I am hitting from the firing line.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: Firearm lovers. 2016/10/16 10:37:01
Nice!
super
Junior Burger
Re: Firearm lovers. 2016/10/26 06:49:16
Mike,What about those Airsoft rifles? I am WWII airsoftlover 
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Firearm lovers. 2016/11/06 17:42:36
My wife, Tricia, bought me an early Christmas present. A Glock 40 in 10mm.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: Firearm lovers. 2016/11/06 17:44:06
Yeah! Yeah! Brag.
eruby
Re: Firearm lovers. 2016/11/10 06:42:15
MikeS.
My wife, Tricia, bought me an early Christmas present. A Glock 40 in 10mm.

NICE!!!!

Only recently found out 'green tip' ammo is painted, and does not have a plastic green tip like some hunting ammo.

I can lift a ton, but I can't spell it.
tmiles
Filet Mignon
Re: Firearm lovers. 2016/11/10 11:42:03
I've never fired a 10mm, but understand that the Glock 40 has a fairly light recoil considering the size. I'm at the stage in life where the biggest hand gun that I'm comfortable with is a 9mm. Granite State Gun Range is offering free rentals to vets this weekend, so long as you buy the ammo. If I get time to go up there, I'd like to try some new stuff out. Maybe I'll get to try the Glock 40, after watching somebody else fire one.  
the grillman
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Firearm lovers. 2016/11/13 07:00:04
Michael Hoffman

KEEPER!

Yes, she is.   The new 20 gauge pump she bought me arrived; it's a beauty.  I tried it out for the first time last week at the range.  Good shooting, but I have to remind myself to reload....all my other shotguns are doubles or semi autos, so no manual reloading required.  It's funny what you get used to; all my rifles are bolt or lever actions, and I have no trouble remembering to reload between shots; it's just part of my routine.   The shotguns, not so much, at least yet.  
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: Firearm lovers. 2016/11/13 11:58:42
I got my 20 gauge Browning BSS because after showing her shotguns costing $20,000, $30,000, $40,000, $50,000, $60,000 and $70,000 for sale at the Grand American my late wife noticed this nice side-by-side I admired at the Browning space for only $300. It was an early Christmas present, just in time for the start of grouse season that year.
Uncle Groucho
Cheeseburger
Re: Firearm lovers. 2017/03/12 10:44:36
I am looking to buy 2 rod and reel combos for this summer and I was thinking about Zebco 33. This will will weekend fun stuff for us. Are there any other brands or combos available that I should consider? We will be fishing small family ponds and a local creek.
Karl
tmiles
Filet Mignon
Re: Firearm lovers. 2017/03/12 11:27:07
This will be my 3rd summer with a cheap Zebco combo (I don't remember the model number). I bought it at WalMart for well under $20, and have used it 4 or 5 times. I've caught nothing but little "kivvers", that I threw back, but I've been impressed with what I got for what I paid. Zebco was a brand name when I was a kid, but now it is a made in China entry brand, but it works for me.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: Firearm lovers. 2017/03/12 12:10:10
Zebco reels have always been first quality. But did you know that the Oklahoma company's name goes back to World War 2 when it made bombsights? The ZEBCO stands for Zero Bombsight Company.
Page: << < ..2122232425.. > >> Showing page 25 of 26