Helpful ReplyHot!Firearm lovers.

Page: << < ..51 Showing page 51 of 51
Author
Root-Beer Man
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1229
Re: Firearm lovers. 2017/03/12 16:43:12 (permalink)
I've got some Platinum 33's and have been quite pleased with them. I've been using Zebco's since I was a kid and have no issues with them. Buy the best ones you can and you won't be disappointed. I've used mine in both fresh and salt water and they've worked fine. I did lose a larger reel last year when the release button broke on it. That was after a few years of use, too. Now I get to buy another one.
Root-Beer Man
Re: Firearm lovers. 2017/03/12 16:45:58 (permalink)
Now, on a firearm related note...anyone have any direct knowledge of the S&W M&P 9 Shield? I've read the reviews, handled one at the store and am seriously considering picking one up to use as an EDC. I don't mind that it has less round capacity than my current .45, I like the concealability that I get with the size.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 22617
Re: Firearm lovers. 2017/03/12 16:59:24 (permalink)
I've fired it. Actually, two of them -- with and without the thumb safety. It is nice and light for all-day. But I'm just an old fogy. I'm sticking with my Combat Commander.
Texascajun
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 274
Re: Firearm lovers. 2017/03/12 23:29:56 (permalink)
I have used Zebcos for 30 plus years and have gone through a few 33's. If you keep them oiled they will last years with decent use. I had never heard that history on Zebco before. Thank for that Michael.
tmiles
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2587
Re: Firearm lovers. 2017/03/13 09:35:26 (permalink)
Root-Beer Man
Now, on a firearm related note...anyone have any direct knowledge of the S&W M&P 9 Shield? I've read the reviews, handled one at the store and am seriously considering picking one up to use as an EDC. I don't mind that it has less round capacity than my current .45, I like the concealability that I get with the size.

I own one. On the plus side, it is more accurate than it's owner, and has never mis fired in the few boxes of white box target ammo that I have put through it. I got it on sale for a very reasonable price, and it fits my hand well. 

As far as concealed carry goes, there are 9mm pistols that are not much bigger than the average .380. The 9mm M&P Shield is not one of them. I don't own one, because I don't carry concealed, but a friend is very happy with his  .380 M&P that he carries in an ankle holster. He says that he can empty the mag into a 4 inch target at 25 ft, as fast as he can pull the trigger. In Mass, the law requires a safty, so many .380s are not sold here, but he would have bought the S&W anyway. He carries his with a round in the chamber (thumb safe "on"). My only major beef with the subject 9mm M&P, is the need of some type of tool to field strip. Needing to reach down deep, inside, to flip a little green lever, with a small screw driver, is a real PITA. For me, I like to give a pistol a first quick cleaning while still at the range. I clean the 9mm M&P, on a pad, on a bench, indoors, under bright light.

I hope that this helps. 
post edited by tmiles - 2017/03/13 09:47:18
Treetop Tom
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 404
RE: Firearm lovers. 2017/05/04 21:40:16 (permalink)
Another family heirloom made it my way last weekend and this one is a keeper: My GGF's Winchester Model 1873 Sporting Rifle, circa 1884. Lever-action, full octagon barrel in 38-40 cal. Cocking mechanism works well. "Patina" not as bad as I feared. Probably will never be more than a wall-hanger but a nice one to add.

Attached Image(s)

Root-Beer Man
Re: Firearm lovers. 2017/05/04 21:50:31 (permalink)
tmiles
Root-Beer Man

I own one. On the plus side, it is more accurate than it's owner, and has never mis fired in the few boxes of white box target ammo that I have put through it. I got it on sale for a very reasonable price, and it fits my hand well. 

As far as concealed carry goes, there are 9mm pistols that are not much bigger than the average .380. The 9mm M&P Shield is not one of them. I don't own one, because I don't carry concealed, but a friend is very happy with his  .380 M&P that he carries in an ankle holster. He says that he can empty the mag into a 4 inch target at 25 ft, as fast as he can pull the trigger. In Mass, the law requires a safty, so many .380s are not sold here, but he would have bought the S&W anyway. He carries his with a round in the chamber (thumb safe "on"). My only major beef with the subject 9mm M&P, is the need of some type of tool to field strip. Needing to reach down deep, inside, to flip a little green lever, with a small screw driver, is a real PITA. For me, I like to give a pistol a first quick cleaning while still at the range. I clean the 9mm M&P, on a pad, on a bench, indoors, under bright light.

I hope that this helps. 

Well, I bit the bullet on this one and bought it. Went to the local gun show and, after making the rounds, found one priced too good to pass up. $325 + tax. That was better than any of the big box stores like Cabela's were offering. It has the safety, but that doesn't bother me. My .45 has one, too and I'm used to it. Had a harder time find a decent IWB holster for it than I did actually finding the pistol. I'm quite pleased with it, overall. It's a nice shooter and, as stated above, is more accurate than I am.
Page: << < ..51 Showing page 51 of 51
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5