Helpful ReplyHot!Firearm lovers.

Page: << < ..51 Showing page 51 of 51
Author
Root-Beer Man
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1442
Re: Firearm lovers. 2017/03/12 16:43:12 (permalink)
I've got some Platinum 33's and have been quite pleased with them. I've been using Zebco's since I was a kid and have no issues with them. Buy the best ones you can and you won't be disappointed. I've used mine in both fresh and salt water and they've worked fine. I did lose a larger reel last year when the release button broke on it. That was after a few years of use, too. Now I get to buy another one.
Root-Beer Man
Re: Firearm lovers. 2017/03/12 16:45:58 (permalink)
Now, on a firearm related note...anyone have any direct knowledge of the S&W M&P 9 Shield? I've read the reviews, handled one at the store and am seriously considering picking one up to use as an EDC. I don't mind that it has less round capacity than my current .45, I like the concealability that I get with the size.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 22947
Re: Firearm lovers. 2017/03/12 16:59:24 (permalink)
I've fired it. Actually, two of them -- with and without the thumb safety. It is nice and light for all-day. But I'm just an old fogy. I'm sticking with my Combat Commander.
Texascajun
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 298
Re: Firearm lovers. 2017/03/12 23:29:56 (permalink)
I have used Zebcos for 30 plus years and have gone through a few 33's. If you keep them oiled they will last years with decent use. I had never heard that history on Zebco before. Thank for that Michael.
tmiles
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2681
Re: Firearm lovers. 2017/03/13 09:35:26 (permalink)
Root-Beer Man
Now, on a firearm related note...anyone have any direct knowledge of the S&W M&P 9 Shield? I've read the reviews, handled one at the store and am seriously considering picking one up to use as an EDC. I don't mind that it has less round capacity than my current .45, I like the concealability that I get with the size.

I own one. On the plus side, it is more accurate than it's owner, and has never mis fired in the few boxes of white box target ammo that I have put through it. I got it on sale for a very reasonable price, and it fits my hand well. 

As far as concealed carry goes, there are 9mm pistols that are not much bigger than the average .380. The 9mm M&P Shield is not one of them. I don't own one, because I don't carry concealed, but a friend is very happy with his  .380 M&P that he carries in an ankle holster. He says that he can empty the mag into a 4 inch target at 25 ft, as fast as he can pull the trigger. In Mass, the law requires a safty, so many .380s are not sold here, but he would have bought the S&W anyway. He carries his with a round in the chamber (thumb safe "on"). My only major beef with the subject 9mm M&P, is the need of some type of tool to field strip. Needing to reach down deep, inside, to flip a little green lever, with a small screw driver, is a real PITA. For me, I like to give a pistol a first quick cleaning while still at the range. I clean the 9mm M&P, on a pad, on a bench, indoors, under bright light.

I hope that this helps. 
post edited by tmiles - 2017/03/13 09:47:18
Treetop Tom
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 404
RE: Firearm lovers. 2017/05/04 21:40:16 (permalink)
Another family heirloom made it my way last weekend and this one is a keeper: My GGF's Winchester Model 1873 Sporting Rifle, circa 1884. Lever-action, full octagon barrel in 38-40 cal. Cocking mechanism works well. "Patina" not as bad as I feared. Probably will never be more than a wall-hanger but a nice one to add.

Attached Image(s)

Root-Beer Man
Re: Firearm lovers. 2017/05/04 21:50:31 (permalink)
tmiles
Root-Beer Man

I own one. On the plus side, it is more accurate than it's owner, and has never mis fired in the few boxes of white box target ammo that I have put through it. I got it on sale for a very reasonable price, and it fits my hand well. 

As far as concealed carry goes, there are 9mm pistols that are not much bigger than the average .380. The 9mm M&P Shield is not one of them. I don't own one, because I don't carry concealed, but a friend is very happy with his  .380 M&P that he carries in an ankle holster. He says that he can empty the mag into a 4 inch target at 25 ft, as fast as he can pull the trigger. In Mass, the law requires a safty, so many .380s are not sold here, but he would have bought the S&W anyway. He carries his with a round in the chamber (thumb safe "on"). My only major beef with the subject 9mm M&P, is the need of some type of tool to field strip. Needing to reach down deep, inside, to flip a little green lever, with a small screw driver, is a real PITA. For me, I like to give a pistol a first quick cleaning while still at the range. I clean the 9mm M&P, on a pad, on a bench, indoors, under bright light.

I hope that this helps. 

Well, I bit the bullet on this one and bought it. Went to the local gun show and, after making the rounds, found one priced too good to pass up. $325 + tax. That was better than any of the big box stores like Cabela's were offering. It has the safety, but that doesn't bother me. My .45 has one, too and I'm used to it. Had a harder time find a decent IWB holster for it than I did actually finding the pistol. I'm quite pleased with it, overall. It's a nice shooter and, as stated above, is more accurate than I am.
Root-Beer Man
Re: Firearm lovers. 2018/10/04 22:27:47 (permalink)
Well, back in February I sent my old Taurus in for a warranty/class action repair. After not hearing anything for a long time I called them to find out what was going on. After an interminable wait on the phone I finally got to talk to a human. After a shortish conversation I found out I was eligible to receive a new pistol. While the new one is not a .45, it's a pretty nice little EDC, a G2C in 9mm. Beats getting a check, I guess. Now all I need to do is figure out what to do with all that .45 APC in my closet. LOL. Fortunately I do have a Beretta Storm carbine in .45.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 22947
Re: Firearm lovers. 2018/10/05 13:32:19 (permalink)
Root-Beer Man
Well, back in February I sent my old Taurus in for a warranty/class action repair. After not hearing anything for a long time I called them to find out what was going on. After an interminable wait on the phone I finally got to talk to a human. After a shortish conversation I found out I was eligible to receive a new pistol. While the new one is not a .45, it's a pretty nice little EDC, a G2C in 9mm. Beats getting a check, I guess. Now all I need to do is figure out what to do with all that .45 APC in my closet. LOL. Fortunately I do have a Beretta Storm carbine in .45.

If your .45 APC is too much trouble to store my Combat Commander says she's willing to give it a home and she won't charge you anything for doing so.
edwmax
  • Total Posts : 2434
Re: Firearm lovers. 2018/10/05 13:59:34 (permalink)
Root-Beer Man

What happen to your 45?    ... They should have repaired it or replace with the same model. 
Root-Beer Man
Re: Firearm lovers. 2018/10/05 15:05:34 (permalink)
edwmax
Root-Beer Man

What happen to your 45?    ... They should have repaired it or replace with the same model. 

They had a class action lawsuit filed on a few models of their pistols and had to issue a recall. Apparently some of the pistols might have been prone to firing when dropped. Personally, I've always figured that could happen with semi-autos. Owners were given the choice of getting a check for a fraction of the value of the pistol, having it repaired or replaced. I sent it in and chose the repair option, but they apparently decided to replace it (I am thinking that they might have lost mine in the innumerable pistols they got sent for repair, but that's a guess). As for replacing it with the same model, that one just isn't possible. They don't make it anymore. I'm not terribly put out over it. It was a decent pistol, but I have better and the new one, even at a lower calibre, is a better quality pistol, by all reports. It will definitely be smaller. It looks to be just a bit bigger than my M&P 9 Shield. The biggest hassle will be finding a new holster. That's always a pain.
edwmax
Re: Firearm lovers. 2018/10/05 15:29:19 (permalink)
All Taurus had to do was replace the Hammer.     It was over weight, such that when the pistol was dropped on the barrel the hammer had enough K energy to slip off of the sear & fire.    The repair was simple. It would/should have taken a few minutes and the gun be in the return mail the next day.    ... I believe Taurus would have also send you a new hammer to be installed a local gunsmith without having to ship the gun to them.  I suspect also, just buying a new hammer is less than the shipping & insurance cost for the gun.  ...    Just poor service on their part!.    ... I don't care for 9mm and prefer the 45.  And, if that model was out of production  then its value has already increased.    ....   But if your happy ...
post edited by edwmax - 2018/10/05 15:37:47
Root-Beer Man
Re: Firearm lovers. 2018/10/05 16:44:23 (permalink)
edwmax
All Taurus had to do was replace the Hammer.     It was over weight, such that when the pistol was dropped on the barrel the hammer had enough K energy to slip off of the sear & fire.    The repair was simple. It would/should have taken a few minutes and the gun be in the return mail the next day.    ... I believe Taurus would have also send you a new hammer to be installed a local gunsmith without having to ship the gun to them.  I suspect also, just buying a new hammer is less than the shipping & insurance cost for the gun.  ...    Just poor service on their part!.    ... I don't care for 9mm and prefer the 45.  And, if that model was out of production  then its value has already increased.    ....   But if your happy ...

Well, it wasn't the hammer (which none of these had externally). It was supposedly a defect in the safety that could result in the pistol firing for no reason whatsoever or when dropped. Taurus denied it, but settled anyway.  I'm not too put out over it.
edwmax
Re: Firearm lovers. 2018/10/05 18:03:17 (permalink)
Apparently it is more then just an over weight hammer as I read a some months ago.    I just googled Taurus.    In Brazil these Taurus guns are blowing to pieces in Police Officers hands as well as firing on their own when dropped or holstered gun firing when an Officer jumps.   All Police Officers in Brazil are required to carry Brazilian made Taurus guns.      ... I suggest you get rid of the replacement Taurus sent you!   ref: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2018-02-28/how-defective-guns-became-the-only-product-that-can-t-be-recalled
post edited by edwmax - 2018/10/05 18:04:59
Root-Beer Man
Re: Firearm lovers. 2018/10/05 18:35:59 (permalink)
edwmax
Apparently it is more then just an over weight hammer as I read a some months ago.    I just googled Taurus.    In Brazil these Taurus guns are blowing to pieces in Police Officers hands as well as firing on their own when dropped or holstered gun firing when an Officer jumps.   All Police Officers in Brazil are required to carry Brazilian made Taurus guns.      ... I suggest you get rid of the replacement Taurus sent you!   ref: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2018-02-28/how-defective-guns-became-the-only-product-that-can-t-be-recalled

That's quite possibly one of the worst hit pieces I've ever seen, but considering it's a Bloomberg publication, I'm not too surprised. The Millennium series wasn't a great series of pistols, (hence the recall) but there just weren't that many that had explosive discharges. Pistols of all brands have been known to discharge for no reason at all or when dropped. Their new series, and the one they are sending me, rate pretty highly with the gun reviewers across the board and there have been no reports of accidental discharges or explosions.

https://www.google.com/search?q=smith+and+wesson+blows+up&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1
https://www.google.com/se...amp;client=firefox-b-1
Page: << < ..51 Showing page 51 of 51
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5