Hot!Five Guys Burgers

Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Author
Root-Beer Man
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 995
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2017/01/13 16:30:12 (permalink)
ces1948
I wonder what would happen if a customer ask that their burger not be wrapped in foil?

You could ask for it in one of their tinfoil tubs. They use them for bunless burgers for people with gluten or wheat issues.
felix4067
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4621
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2017/01/13 17:01:35 (permalink)
Next time we go, I'll ask for mine unwrapped. I'm not at all going to use this as a giant excuse to go there again when I really can't afford it right now.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6307
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2017/01/13 18:45:36 (permalink)
cavandre
MetroplexJim
pnwchef
I agree with Jim! I'm not sure you need to go as far as to bring your own plate. They should have some kind of container in house that could hold a unwrapped burger. This should be done in all restaurants. Get the food how you want it. If you want hot fries then ask that they be fresh made. Remember, the restaurant does things the fastest and easiest way they can.

All they have to go is ask "For here or to go?".

"To go" would be foil-wrapped and paper bagged.  "For here" should be like this SmashBurger 'presentation,' a wire mesh basket lined with moisture-proof paper:

For the ones in our area, the only difference between a "to-go" order & a "to-stay" is that with the "to-stay" the paper bag is placed on a tray.

Hey, it's the same everywhere ... even in the Food Capital of the World!

For snicks and "just to say I did", this October I visited the first Five Guys in Paris which then had been open for nearly three months.  As Paris is the very apex of food preparation and presentation I was curious to see how the locals liked it.

Judge for yourself:

I walked in the rear entrance and spotted "an obvious American" in a Five Guys hat.  I introduced myself as one of the 'original customers' of their first store and we sat down and had a long conversation. 

Three interesting revelations:
  • The regulatory state in Paris makes D.C. look like the Wild West,  e.g., they soon would have to install RF chips in their cups to prevent 'free refills' which would soon be verboten in Paris.
  • Weekly sales were averaging e170,000.  For comparison, a highly successful McD's weekly sales are less than a third of that.
  • French workers were far more "temperamental" and potentially litigious than those in Britain and the U.S. (no surprise there).

This location is a 'dress rehearsal' for the store they would soon be opening on the Champs Elysees.  That store opened in December in an ultra-prime location between Metro's George Cinq and Franklin D. Roosevelt. 

EDIT:

Big Fernand is Mrs. Metro's and my favorite burger in Paris; believe it or not, they are less expensive than Five Guys:

post edited by MetroplexJim - 2017/01/13 19:13:05
Root-Beer Man
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 995
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2017/01/13 22:29:16 (permalink)
I'd eat at Big Fernand. It looks a lot better than any 5 Guys.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2017/01/14 11:43:22 (permalink)
Root-Beer Man
I'd eat at Big Fernand. It looks a lot better than any 5 Guys.

And it is less expensive as well.  At Five Guys a cheeseburger, "small" fries, and a Coke costs 16 Euros (presently $17.00); the same thing here in Texas runs $11, but it's worth the extra six bucks to be eating the same thing on the grandest avenue on the planet.  And, there, Sauce Béarnaise is both available and complimentary; frankly you haven't lived until you eat Five Guys fries slathered in Béarnaise! 

Big Fernand's menu is just a little less costly:

The food is excellent and the presentation is, well, French.

JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4498
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2017/01/15 12:46:47 (permalink)
I took one for the team and did some investigative research at RDU 5 Guy's. What damage exactly is foil supposed to cause? It was less than 2 minutes from foil to mouth and I noticed no ill effects.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2017/01/16 10:37:54 (permalink)
JRPfeff
I took one for the team and did some investigative research at RDU 5 Guy's. What damage exactly is foil supposed to cause? It was less than 2 minutes from foil to mouth and I noticed no ill effects.

Depending on the toppings and the time it takes to unwrap the 'damage' ranges from their good buns losing their aesthetic appeal to moist bread.

Just me, but I prefer this:

to this:

From the beginning Five Guys has always sourced excellent buns. 

Their first store  

was just a few doors down from Brenner's Bakery

in a small Arlington, VA strip center.  Brenner's did their buns fresh daily.  Sadly, the first Five Guys and Brenner's are no longer there.

As they've gone from the corner of South Glebe and Columbia Pike in Arlington, VA 

to the Avenue des Champs Elysees

they must be doing something right.
post edited by MetroplexJim - 2017/01/16 10:41:31
HollyDolly
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1162
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2017/01/17 13:20:29 (permalink)
We have them here in the San Antonio area. I once in awhile go to the one in Live Oak in The Forum shopping plaza. I like what I get . No complaints here on their food.
Wintahaba
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 494
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2017/01/17 13:58:31 (permalink)
Jim, Correct me if I'm wrong...was there not a TGI Fridays across the street (the corner of South Glebe and Columbia Pike) in the 80's?
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2017/01/17 15:31:34 (permalink)
Wintahaba
Jim, Correct me if I'm wrong...was there not a TGI Fridays across the street (the corner of South Glebe and Columbia Pike) in the 80's?

No.  The other three corners were covered by a bank, Rosenthal Chevrolet, and Rosenthal Used Cars.

But, your memory is correct in regard to their second location on the SE corner of King and Beauregard in 'Arlandria'.  There was, and - and according to Google Maps - still is a TGIF there.  As their former premises is a run-down, seedy little strip center, The Five Guys is no longer there.

A 'historic note': that store (#2) was the first to offer seating.  Like #1 it opened as a small carry-out but Jerry Murrell soon convinced my friend Jerry H., the owner of the center, to lease him the premises of the former laundromat adjacent to the carry-out.  It was a 'low rent' build out; all they did was to knock down part of the wall and put 'one piece' picnic tables for seating.  Those, a trash can and a condiment table (on which was offered, inter alia,malt vinegarfor the fries.  The seating and vinegar made it my Five Guys of choice.

Relatively soon thereafter they opened in Springfield, Old Town, and Hybla Valley (Route 1) - all with seating areas in old, abandoned restaurant premises.  Then, 1,500 or so stores later, Paris. 
Davebassman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 334
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2017/01/17 16:12:58 (permalink)
MetroplexJim
Wintahaba

No.  The other three corners were covered by a bank, Rosenthal Chevrolet, and Rosenthal Used Cars.

But, your memory is correct in regard to their second location on the SE corner of King and Beauregard in 'Arlandria'.  There was, and - and according to Google Maps - still is a TGIF there.  As their former premises is a run-down, seedy little strip center, The Five Guys is no longer there.

A 'historic note': that store (#2) was the first to offer seating.  Like #1 it opened as a small carry-out but Jerry Murrell soon convinced my friend Jerry H., the owner of the center, to lease him the premises of the former laundromat adjacent to the carry-out.  It was a 'low rent' build out; all they did was to knock down part of the wall and put 'one piece' picnic tables for seating.  Those, a trash can and a condiment table (on which was offered, inter alia,malt vinegarfor the fries.  The seating and vinegar made it my Five Guys of choice.

Relatively soon thereafter they opened in Springfield, Old Town, and Hybla Valley (Route 1) - all with seating areas in old, abandoned restaurant premises.  Then, 1,500 or so stores later, Paris. 

I used to live about a mile from the King-Beauregard location. My in-laws discovered that 5-Guys and introduced me to it. Coincidentally, I now work walking distance from that old site. Yes the TGIF is still there.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2017/04/22 16:27:53 (permalink)
And the Frogs  Five Guys

Their store on the Champs-Elysees:

post edited by MetroplexJim - 2017/04/22 16:30:53
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 22282
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2017/04/22 18:24:26 (permalink)
Five Guys is still in business?
billyboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2799
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2017/04/22 18:48:32 (permalink)
I LOVE Five Guys!!!  Thankfully, the one on my street closed a few years ago to make way for a new building or I would be there way more often than I should be!  I don't have any problem with the foil wrapper.  I have never, ever been disappointed with any burger or fries that I have have gotten from Five Guys and that includes eating in and take-out.
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8460
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2017/04/22 19:04:59 (permalink)
billyboy
I LOVE Five Guys!!!  Thankfully, the one on my street closed a few years ago to make way for a new building or I would be there way more often than I should be!  I don't have any problem with the foil wrapper.  I have never, ever been disappointed with any burger or fries that I have have gotten from Five Guys and that includes eating in and take-out.

MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2017/04/24 10:05:15 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman
Five Guys is still in business?

Yep. 
Still squashing their burgers and burning them until well-done.

Their first Paris store in Bercy does $170,000/week.
The store on the Champs must be doing double that. 
Of course the rent is a little higher and they have to dodge the occasional bullet.

BTW, Waffle House still serving their frozen patties 'rare'?

But if you need to lose 20#, there's nothing quicker than the e-coli diet!

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 22282
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2017/04/24 10:45:53 (permalink)
I get mine medium rare at Waffle House. But I'm sure they'll make 'em rare on request.  By the way, they're not frozen when they hit the flattop.
ces1948
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1524
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2017/04/24 10:51:34 (permalink)
I live in Gainesville, Fl  home of the University of Florida. Being in a college town the choice of burger joints is nearly overwhelming. I think we have every burger chain with the exception of In and Out and Walburgers plus dozens of local places. 5 Guys has 2 locations here but I don't see them very busy when I drive by. As for me I like 5 Guys pretty well but I still have many other places to try before stopping there again. We do have a couple of local drive thru only places that have very good burgers. The Sandwich Inn is one and Mac's drive thru is the other. The Sandwich Inn touts itself to be the oldest continuingly operating restaurant in Gainesville. Unfortunately both of these places aren't in the best neighborhoods so eating in the car can be an adventure.
ann peeples
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10207
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2017/04/24 13:09:34 (permalink)
I just didn't like them. Maybe I ordered the wrong thing, I don't know. Bob liked them-but it was new at the time. He would rather go to Waffle house for a double cheeseburger with pickles and fried onions. As would I.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re:Five Guys Burgers 2017/04/26 18:50:48 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman
I get mine medium rare at Waffle House. But I'm sure they'll make 'em rare on request.  By the way, they're not frozen when they hit the flattop.

ann peeples
I just didn't like them. Maybe I ordered the wrong thing, I don't know. Bob liked them-but it was new at the time. He would rather go to Waffle house for a double cheeseburger with pickles and fried onions. As would I.

Make no mistake, I like Waffle House, too. 
But not for burgers.

Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5