Flat Burgers in Milwaukee?

Author
phlmaestro
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 711
2014/08/28 15:22:06 (permalink)

Flat Burgers in Milwaukee?

I'll be heading to Wisconsin for two or three days this fall. The main purpose of the trip is to see the Eagles play the Packers at Green Bay, but my friend and I will be staying in Milwaukee, a city I've wanted to visit for roadfood purposes practically ever since I started reading and posting on this site in the late 90s.
I won't have time to make more than three or four roadfood stops while I'm there. I definitely want to try the custard at Kopps and probably Leon's as well. I'm considering the old-fashioned, upscale German restaurant that is reviewed on here. Mazo's is also a possibility because of how close it is to Leon's. And if I can talk my buddy, who has no interest in Jewish deli, into it, I'll want a corned beef sandwich from Jake's.
I've developed a fondness for the very-flat style of burger that only seems to be found in the Midwest, at places like Carl's Drive-Inn in St. Louis. 
From photos I've seen, it looks like the burger at Kopp's is worth trying. Are there any other burger joints in Milwaukee or between Milwaukee and Green Bay that specialize in that super flat, pressed-down style of burger?
Thanks, and here is a photo of the double cheeseburger I had a couple years ago at Carl's:

post edited by phlmaestro - 2014/08/28 15:29:11

5 Replies Related Threads

JRPfeff
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5024
    Re: Flat Burgers in Milwaukee? 2014/08/28 15:32:15 (permalink)
    Phil,

If you take Hwy 57 north from Milwaukee to see the Eagles lose you can get my favorite burger at the Midway Restaurant in Random Lake. We call it Midway Eat because of the sign. They offer the Homestyle Burger which is pressed flat and served on a buttered bun. I've posted pictures that you can find by searching Roadfood.

Jim
    phlmaestro
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: Flat Burgers in Milwaukee? 2014/08/28 15:35:08 (permalink)
    Thanks, Jim. The Pack may get lucky, as the Birds will be coming off a short week!
    phlmaestro
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: Flat Burgers in Milwaukee? 2014/08/28 15:44:33 (permalink)
    Oh ... and if anyone knows of anywhere in the Milwaukee area that serves sour cream-raisin pie, please let me know. That's a dish that's been intriguing me on here, mostly by way of Buffetbuster's photos, for a number of years.
    Thanks again.
    JRPfeff
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5024
    Re: Flat Burgers in Milwaukee? 2014/08/28 15:48:26 (permalink)
    Maestro,

If you don't mind us joining you, I'm pretty sure I can convince Pie Diva to bake a sour cream pie and bring it for dessert.

Jim
    phlmaestro
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: Flat Burgers in Milwaukee? 2014/08/28 16:31:06 (permalink)
    Jim,
    That's extremely kind of you. I'd love to accept outright now. The only reason I can't is that I'm going to be with other people, and I don't know how much control I'll have over the trip agenda (the trip is also for my oldest friend's 50th birthday; and his two brothers-in-law are meeting us in Milwaukee .... I'm hoping the other three guys will let me pick all of the places to eat, but we'll see). I'll send you a private message either way when we get within a few weeks of the trip. Maybe we'll be able to meet up somewhere. The trip is going to be right in the middle of November.
    Thanks very much!
    Barry

post edited by phlmaestro - 2014/08/28 16:36:49
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5