Florida in November

Author
Rebecca1962
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
2005/07/23 18:57:59 (permalink)

Florida in November

My husband and I are flying into Orlando around 7:30pm and driving to Titusville. Need dinner along the way. Preferably hold-in-the-wall budget (but good) seafood.

Next day ~ driving to Cape Coral (near Ft. Myers) via Kissimmee & Clearwater. (same dinner needs)

2 days in the Cape Coral / Sanibel / Captival area. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner!!

Thanks! (By the way, I already make authentic key lime pie :)

17 Replies Related Threads

carlton pierre
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Florida in November 2005/07/23 20:18:27 (permalink)
    Rebecca, why don't we trade some restaurant suggestions for an authentic key lime pie recipe?? I think that's a fair deal.

Sounds like you'll be doing a fair amount of driving in a short time.
    Rebecca1962
    Junior Burger
    RE: Florida in November 2005/07/23 22:06:05 (permalink)
    Key Lime Pie ~ one of the only things I can make well...

Graham cracker crust: 1 1/4 c graham cracker crumbs, 1 T sugar, 1/3 c melted butter. Bake 8 min at 350 d. Cool.

Combine 14oz can sweetened condensed milk, 3 egg yolks, 1/2 c Nellie & Joes lime juice. Pour into crust. Bake 15 min at 350 d. Cool 10 minutes, and then refrigerate.

Garnish w/ whipped cream, lime slices, marischino (sp) cherry.

I know there are variations w/ meringue, but I don't want to put in that much work. I've also seen recipes with lime jello and cool whip.

And yes, our vacations are always like that. Fly a whole day, vacation for 3, and fly another day home. We're used to it.
    signman
    • Total Posts : 1757
    RE: Florida in November 2005/07/23 22:08:37 (permalink)
    On arrival just keep your hunger pains in check until you can drive the less than one hour to Dixie Crossroads in Titusville. East on Garden St from 95. You'd be making a big mistake to consider anything else for that first night.
    tacchino
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 561
    RE: Florida in November 2005/07/23 22:57:49 (permalink)
    When in the Cape Coral area, you should just scoot up I-75 a few miles to Punta Gorda. I hear that even though Hurricane Charley hit them very badly, the restaurants at Fisherman's Village are up and running again. There is a good one on the second floor of the complex, with a very reasonably priced seafood buffet, which is nice. Anybody remember what it is called?

The restaurant in the resort (again, the name?) at the end of Captiva Island also had a very reasonably priced seafood buffet, of good quality...but again, Hurricane Charley hit there pretty badly, too. Anyone know if it is up and running again?
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Florida in November 2005/07/23 23:02:14 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by carlton pierre

Rebecca, why don't we trade some restaurant suggestions for an authentic key lime pie recipe??

If you buy some Nellie & Joe's Key Lime juice, which is the only thing to make a key lime pie with anyway, they put the recipe on the bottle.

But here's one from their web site ( http://keylimejuice.com/ ):

Abraham's Key Lime Pie

3 egg yolks (whites not required)
    8 ounces of softened cream cheese
    4-5 ounces Nellie & Joe’s Key West Lime Juice (more for tangier pie)
    14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
    1-9”graham cracker pie crust
    Pour condensed milk into blender. Add cream cheese gradually, in small portions and mix until smooth. Add egg yolks and blend well. Pour in Nellie & Joe’s Key West Lime Juice and continue blending until mixture is smooth. Pour the mixture into the graham cracker pie crust and bake at 350º degrees for 10 minutes. After baking, let stand for 10 minutes before refrigerating.
    For a zestier taste, always prepare the pie a day before you need it. Top with freshly whipped cream and garnish with fresh lime zest.
    mahipp
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: Florida in November 2005/07/23 23:54:05 (permalink)
    Clearwater
    Frenchy's on Clearwater Beach is excellent. They're known for their grouper sandwiches. There are about 4 locations, each one has a slightly different menu. My favorite is Frenchy's Rockaway, which is right on the beach. In nearby Dunedin is Kelly's for Just About Anything. Excellent breakfasts in a funky atmosphere. They are also very well known for their dinners, but we always seem to go for breakfast. I love sitting out back. It makes me feel like I'm down in the Keys. Downtown Dunedin is very cool, lots of funky shops. There's also a Mexican restaurant, I think it's named Casa Tina that's very well regarded. I only ate there once, but I was pregnant, so I'm sure my taste buds were out of whack! LOL Another great place for Mexican is Carmelita's. There's a couple of different locations. The original is in St. Petersburg, but there's another in Largo (just south of Clearwater). I love their guacamole tostadas. Yum!

That's about all I can think of for now. If I can think of any others, I'll add them in...
    Rebecca1962
    Junior Burger
    RE: Florida in November 2005/07/24 00:06:19 (permalink)
    Ooh, Dixie Crossroads looks awesome! That'll be our plan, for sure.

I don't think we'll be going up to Clearwater during our short stay, but I'll keep that info in case we do.

I think we'll be in the Ft Myers, Captiva/Sanibel, and Naples/Big Cypress area.

Keep the suggestions coming. In 2003 we were in Charleston and ate at several places suggested here. I love this site!
    signman
    RE: Florida in November 2005/07/24 04:05:25 (permalink)
    I've always heard about the Bubble Room in Captiva. A local institution. Don't know how it made out with last year's huricanes though. But this should be a stop for dinner if it's till there/open.
    signman
    RE: Florida in November 2005/07/24 04:27:28 (permalink)
    If you are passing thru St. Pete on I-275 you might want to make a quick detour to EL CAP for a great tasting hamburger. It's at 3500 Fourth St. North. Exit 13 (38th) off 275 might be easiest to Fourth then south a couple of blocks, restaurant is on the west side of street.

http://roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6440&SearchTerms=el,cap
    davery5872
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: Florida in November 2005/07/25 23:51:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by mahipp

Clearwater
    Frenchy's on Clearwater Beach is excellent. They're known for their grouper sandwiches. There are about 4 locations, each one has a slightly different menu. My favorite is Frenchy's Rockaway, which is right on the beach. In nearby Dunedin is Kelly's for Just About Anything. Excellent breakfasts in a funky atmosphere. They are also very well known for their dinners, but we always seem to go for breakfast. I love sitting out back. It makes me feel like I'm down in the Keys. Downtown Dunedin is very cool, lots of funky shops. There's also a Mexican restaurant, I think it's named Casa Tina that's very well regarded. I only ate there once, but I was pregnant, so I'm sure my taste buds were out of whack! LOL Another great place for Mexican is Carmelita's. There's a couple of different locations. The original is in St. Petersburg, but there's another in Largo (just south of Clearwater). I love their guacamole tostadas. Yum!

That's about all I can think of for now. If I can think of any others, I'll add them in...

yea, but the Rockaway doesn't bread their Grouper the same as the other Frenchy's. Goota go to the Original or the Saltwater Cafe (haven't got to the new South Beach location yet)
    mahipp
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: Florida in November 2005/07/26 09:38:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by davery5872

yea, but the Rockaway doesn't bread their Grouper the same as the other Frenchy's. Goota go to the Original or the Saltwater Cafe (haven't got to the new South Beach location yet)

I've never ordered my grouper breaded so I wouldn't know. I always get mine blackened. Rockaway has killer cheese fries and I had a delicious crab soup there. I like the Saltwater if Rockaway is too crowded. I really like the beachfront location of the Rockaway. My kids can play in the sand until our table is ready.
    3Docs
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Florida in November 2005/07/28 19:24:53 (permalink)
    Hi there! just found this forum, and figured I woul try to be of some use. As a Clearwater/Tampa Bay/Manatee/Sarasota native (almost 40 years-born and bred-- just moved to Michigan three mos ago)I just had to add one thing to this thread. If you are going to be in Clearwater for breakfast, you should do yourself a real favor and stop by Lenny's. I promise you will not be disappointed! The complimentary pastries are worth it alone, and their omelettes cannot be beat. If you have a taste for the exotic, try the "gator omelette." (made with ground aligator meat-- tastes like chicken, they say!--LOL)21220 US Hwy 19 N
    Clearwater. And for lunch, try to make your way to St Pete Beach (unless you're too full from Lenny's massive breakfast) for THE VERY BEST grilled, blackened, fried, breaded or broiled grouper sandwich on the entire west coast of the state. Trust me, I'm a native... If you want an awesome grouper sandwich, Remember that Frenchy's is good, but The Hurricane is better! You'll find it right on the beach at: 807 Gulf Way St Pete Beach. Have a GREAT trip, and remember to swim alot-- you'll need to work off all the wonderful food you'll eat! Now, does anyone know of the best places to eat in Ann Arbor, MI?
    signman
    RE: Florida in November 2005/07/29 02:07:37 (permalink)
    Hi 3Docs, Welcome to Roadfood. We have a lot of fun here. I agree with you about Lenny's. See my comments on 2/11 on this thread. http://roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6458&SearchTerms=lenny's

But I think the original poster will probably just be passing near Clearwater on 275 as they head to the Fort Myers area.
    Rebecca1962
    Junior Burger
    RE: Florida in November 2005/07/29 11:57:05 (permalink)
    Sorry everyone. Not quite sure how I got "via Clearwater." Sheesh. Must've been late...

We're going from Kennedy Space Center to Cape Coral. Not sure if we're driving the coast and cutting across, or weaving our way through the center. I'm thinking the coast would be better.

Anyway ~ hope you all enjoyed talking about Clearwater. Maybe it helped someone else
    Sarge 569
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 60
    RE: Florida in November 2005/07/31 07:10:32 (permalink)
    While in Ft. Myers try the SMOKIN PIT on Bus 41 North side of the city. Great Ribs, Pig Salad, and the best baked beans. Try Beans and Franks.
    westcoast941
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Florida in November 2005/07/31 13:33:16 (permalink)
    Rebecca:
    Try Ybor

If you find yourselves leaving early that morning from Titusville going west on I-4. Have a coffee and sweetroll to hold you for an hour till you get to Tampa.

Ybor (a few mile past I-75 off I-4) is an old Tampa city reknown for their cigar and coffee trade.

It's now known by the young crowd for the nightlife of clubs (wouldn't catch me within 10 miles on a Fri/Sat night.) The money the clubs have brought in allowed the city to bring themselves from an old poor city to a charming and clean 'ole' Florida ambiance feel of a city.

A nice walk thru the downtown esp early morning lets one enjoy the old charm many of our Florida cities lack because of being so 'new'. There are coffee houses with coffee roasting and cafes. Columbia being one of the legand resturaunts in the area.

I would suggest early morning as it tends to get kind of crowded later in the day and does have some tacky tourist trap areas and November mornings are sooooo nice in Florida.

If you do find yourself closer to lunch and want to try what the natives are eating then try Carmine's. Latin flavour and make a great Cuban Sandwich. The Cuban being to Tampa what the cheese steak is to Philadelphia
    QFan
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 647
    RE: Florida in November 2005/08/03 14:08:13 (permalink)
    If you get to Ybor City, and have a taste for authentic Cuban/Spanish food in a historic old-Tampa atmosphere, be sure to try the original Columbia Restaurant on 7th Avenue (main drag thru Ybor City). Even if you haven't acquired a taste for Cuban food, this place will have things you will like on the menu and the restaurant is like going back in a time warp. Many of the wait staff have been there for 20-30 yrs and will help you negotiate the unfamiliar Spanish names of things. Some folks say it has become too touristy, but I was there just this past Monday and it is as good as ever (Mrs QFan and I used to live in Tampa and still go there frequently).

QFan
    Bonita Springs, FL
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5