Florida - looking for suggestions for both unique and traditional

Author
trbeer
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 34
2017/01/28 14:47:31 (permalink)

Florida - looking for suggestions for both unique and traditional

Greetings, we are traveling to Florida a month from now and are looking for suggestions on places to eat both traditional and unique Florida cuisine.  We love seafood, fresh vegetables, and fruit and anything that is unique to Florida.  Places we'll be are 
Daytona Beach area
Punta Gorda
Key West
Tampa - St Pete area
Weeki Wachi

I'd love to find a bakery or diner with unique pies like sour orange, grapefruit, or something else unique

please post your suggestions and thank you in advance

12 Replies Related Threads

ChiBears15
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 337
    Re: Florida - looking for suggestions for both unique and traditional 2017/01/28 16:55:00 (permalink)
    Hello,

Daytona Beach area: The Cracked Egg Diner in Daytona Beach Shores.  Awesome breakfast spot.  If you visit here, you will be close to the Ponce Inlet Lighthouse which I highly recommend walking up.

Punta Gorda:  The Smokehouse.  Amazing biscuits and gravy, but make sure you only get a half order because the portion sizes are huge.

Key West: Firefly Southern Kitchen (Key Lime Cake), Bad Boy Burrito, Half Shell Raw Bar, Kermit's Key West Lime Shoppe (touristy, but the key lime pie was phenomenal) and Sloppy Joe's.  Also, I thought the food at Blue Heaven was very average, but the atmosphere is uniquely Key West so still worth a visit. 

Let us know where you end up going.  Safe travels!

Danny
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 11954
    Flagged as Spam (2)
    Re: Florida - looking for suggestions for both unique and traditional 2017/01/29 01:38:53 (permalink)
    Go to the Roadfood Home Page.
    Click on States
    Click on FL
    There are 7 pages of places that have been reviewed in FL.
    trbeer
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 34
    Re: Florida - looking for suggestions for both unique and traditional 2017/01/29 07:16:30 (permalink)
    Foodbme
    Go to the Roadfood Home Page.
    Click on States
    Click on FL
    There are 7 pages of places that have been reviewed in FL.

I've done this but I'm sure there are some small cafes, diners, and restaurants with unique pies and things like that.  I need to see if Buffetbuster or others have any good Florida trip reports
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4735
    Re: Florida - looking for suggestions for both unique and traditional 2017/01/29 07:26:44 (permalink)
    The Brickyard in Daytona Beach ... for 'best burger anywhere' and grilled chicken wings ... well documented in RF forums
    If you are headed south on the east coast, I have some Palm Beach/Boca/Lauderdale ideas
    Root-Beer Man
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1205
    Re: Florida - looking for suggestions for both unique and traditional 2017/01/29 12:30:03 (permalink)
    In Key West I have heard nothing but good things about the Conch Town Cafe. They're Bahamian and make the best conch fritters on the island according to chefs I respect. It's certainly a Roadfood joint and not a tourist place. And, when ordering do remember that it is "conk" not "consch".
    chickenplucker
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 732
    Re: Florida - looking for suggestions for both unique and traditional 2017/01/29 12:58:47 (permalink)
    This picture of grapefruit pie may give you a reason to visit Haines City in central Florida. It makes me want to hit the road today.
    https://visitcentralflorida.org/top-10/local-brews-foods/taste-of-florida-cafe-grapefruit-pie 
    IndianaPete
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 168
    Re: Florida - looking for suggestions for both unique and traditional 2017/01/29 13:50:10 (permalink)
    A couple of these are just a bit out of your way and one is a <gasp OMG> chain.  I uncovered some of these a while back while on a Cuban sammich tour and got suggestions from RoadFood.

Key West - I second Blue Heaven for the Lobster Eggs Benedict.  When I told two people a couple years ago I was going to KW, both of them suggested the LEB at BH.  It was 27 bucks and worth it.  Get the optional asparagus spear. A Cuban restaurant in KW with good reviews is El Siboney.

Cape Coral -- Case Rojas Cuban Bakery on Pine Island Rd.  Awarded the best Cuban sandwich in SW FL.  I don't know if they have the pies you're looking for, but I've seen people walk out with big cakes and they have large cases of pastries I couldn't identify.

North Ft. Myers --  Horsin' Around Deli, 2 miles east of I-75 at exit 143.  A deli in the middle of nowhere.  Best Cuban I've ever eaten.  I plan my vacations so I can get one.

St Armands Key, Sarasota; Tampa airport; Ybor City -- Columbia.  It's Cuban; it's different, it's crowded.  Make a reservation.  Food I've never seen anywhere else.  I recommend the 1905 salad, made at your table.
    post edited by IndianaPete - 2017/01/29 13:52:15
    cavandre
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1953
    Re: Florida - looking for suggestions for both unique and traditional 2017/01/30 07:25:45 (permalink)
    The exit for Daytona is at mile marker 260 on I-95. The exit for Dixie Crossroads is at mm 220.

For something different in Key West, we enjoyed tapas at Santiago's Bodega...
    http://www.santiagosbodega.com/   (When we first went there, Key West was there only location.)

balajinaidu
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    Flagged as Spam (1)
    Re: Florida - looking for suggestions for both unique and traditional 2017/03/28 10:03:47 (permalink)
    Hey!
    German’s Restaurant & Bierhouse : Located right on the edge of Walt Disney World, German’s Restaurant &
    Located right on the edge of Walt Disney World, German’s Restaurant & Bierhouse is a great option after a hard day’s riding the rollercoasters and for hearty, authentic German cuisine
    M&M’s Café:
    Opened in early 2014 by chef-owners Marvis Ramirez and Meliza Checo, who named the cafe after their mothers Maria and Martha, M&M’s Café serves Latin American fare specializing in authentic Dominican eats.
    King O Falafel:
    Serving delicious food since opening in 2009, King O Falafel is the place to go in Kissimmee for authentic, affordable Middle Eastern and Mediterranean fare.
    And so on... You can also Try Weekly Hotels for the best experience for both traditional and unique.
    kevincad
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 444
    Re: Florida - looking for suggestions for both unique and traditional 2017/03/28 13:06:45 (permalink)
    trbeer
    Greetings, we are traveling to Florida a month from now and are looking for suggestions on places to eat both traditional and unique Florida cuisine.  We love seafood, fresh vegetables, and fruit and anything that is unique to Florida.  Places we'll be are 
    Daytona Beach area
    Punta Gorda
    Key West
    Tampa - St Pete area
    Weeki Wachi

I'd love to find a bakery or diner with unique pies like sour orange, grapefruit, or something else unique

please post your suggestions and thank you in advance

When in Tampa A MUST is La Teresita. Excellent Cuban food, a Tampa institution forever!
    kevincad
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 444
    Re: Florida - looking for suggestions for both unique and traditional 2017/03/28 13:07:52 (permalink)
    IndianaPete
    A couple of these are just a bit out of your way and one is a <gasp OMG> chain.  I uncovered some of these a while back while on a Cuban sammich tour and got suggestions from RoadFood.

Key West - I second Blue Heaven for the Lobster Eggs Benedict.  When I told two people a couple years ago I was going to KW, both of them suggested the LEB at BH.  It was 27 bucks and worth it.  Get the optional asparagus spear. A Cuban restaurant in KW with good reviews is El Siboney.

Cape Coral -- Case Rojas Cuban Bakery on Pine Island Rd.  Awarded the best Cuban sandwich in SW FL.  I don't know if they have the pies you're looking for, but I've seen people walk out with big cakes and they have large cases of pastries I couldn't identify.

North Ft. Myers --  Horsin' Around Deli, 2 miles east of I-75 at exit 143.  A deli in the middle of nowhere.  Best Cuban I've ever eaten.  I plan my vacations so I can get one.

St Armands Key, Sarasota; Tampa airport; Ybor City -- Columbia.  It's Cuban; it's different, it's crowded.  Make a reservation.  Food I've never seen anywhere else.  I recommend the 1905 salad, made at your table.

I like Columbia alot. But, I like La Teresita better. More authentic. Just my opinion of course!
    IndianaPete
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 168
    Re: Florida - looking for suggestions for both unique and traditional 2017/04/11 16:51:28 (permalink)
    Sooooo, whadidja eat, where didja go?  Don't keep us in suspense.
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5