Helpful ReplyFlorida seafood

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5635
2014/12/15 01:59:25 (permalink)

Florida seafood

I'll be in Orlando the next 3 weeks, staying with the Mouse most of that time. I'd like to travel up to the panhandle or down to Tampa for some fresh seafood.

I like anything fishy that lives in water but I'm particular to scallops, oysters and fish in that order.
LJM
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 69
Re: Florida seafood 2014/12/15 08:40:42 (permalink)
I am somewhat familiar with Orlando.  I'm not sure if you'll find in Orlando out of the ordinary.  When I'm down there and in the mood for seafood I usually wind up eating at Bonefish or sometimes Fishbones. At Bonefish, at least you know what you're getting and I can't say that I've ever been disappointed.  Fishbones is another decent restaurant but they're expensive.  The bar area tends to be very dark too.  So, if you decide to eat there, than bring a small pocket light. Bahama Breeze also has decent selection of seafood prepared with a Caribbean flair.  

If you decide to head down to Tampa, than you might want to stop off just north of Tampa in Tarpon Springs. Tarpon Springs boasts the largest Greek population in Florida.  Any place with a large Greek population is bound to have a wide selection of seafood including shellfish. 

Michael Stern
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 1143
Re: Florida seafood 2014/12/15 08:52:17 (permalink)
I really like this place, and the scallops are especially good: http://www.roadfood.com/R...70/winter-park-fish-co
mhill95
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 240
Re: Florida seafood 2014/12/15 16:35:44 (permalink)
The fish stew/soup is good there also "cioppino"

mike
dadetigl
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 143
Re: Florida seafood 2014/12/15 19:38:51 (permalink)
Crazyfish Bar and Grill in Lake Wales.
Skipper's Smokehouse and the newly reopened Shell's Seafood in Tampa
Peck's Old Port Cove in Ozzelo/ Crystal River.
Harry's Seafood Bar and Grill in Lakeland and Ocala

EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4581
Re: Florida seafood 2014/12/16 12:59:21 (permalink)
Mike,
It's a five hour drive, but Apalachiola is home to some mighty fine oysters. I've had them throughout the Panhandle and even in Alabama and it might be a nice day drive. They sure are tasty! 
Ed
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Florida seafood 2014/12/16 15:13:34 (permalink)
Thanks y'all!
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4247
Re: Florida seafood 2014/12/16 16:36:46 (permalink)
Mike

A real great adventure for you (about 2 hours from Orlando) would be Cedar Key which is out in gulf of Mexico.  Cedar Key is miles away from from the "touristy" Florida that you see today.  There is a wonderful small museum there where anyone on duty knows their stuff and you will learn about a part of Florida history that you never knew before.

You would really enjoy seeing this "unknown" part of  Florida and,  best of all, enjoying the seafood restaurants there. A must place would be the Island Hotel and Restaurant.  Their seafood is geat and you have to treat yourself to their fresh  "hearts of palm salad" which is just wonderful and you will find nothing like it any where else.  http://www.islandhotel-cedarkey.com/

Another of our favorite places is Tony's..........the seafood is terrific and they do have scallops.  http://www.tonyschowder.com/res.htm

We always stay overnight here and then ,when heading back down to Orlando, have breakfast at  DeLeon Springs at  the pancake house where you make your own pancakes.........lots of fun...............and the park is lovely! http://www.floridastateparks.org/deleonsprings/
         http://www.planetdeland.com/sugarmill/index.htm
post edited by Greymo - 2014/12/16 16:45:10
Root-Beer Man
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1833
Re: Florida seafood 2014/12/16 16:55:50 (permalink)
I'm going to suggest a trip to the other side of the state. Head to Titusville and dine out at the Dixie Crossroads. The rock shrimp, (and all their other shrimp, too) are so delicious. Well worth the trip. We went there a few years back and I can't wait to get back there again.
Keysey42
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 87
Re: Florida seafood 2014/12/16 20:13:58 (permalink)
I second the suggestion of Tarpon Springs. But if you're up for stepping away from scallops and oysters, I'd also highly recommend Ted Peter's Smoked Fish on Pasadena Avenue in St. Petersburg. The smoked king mackerel is incredible, and the smoked fish spread is a "must-try," too. Throw in the homemade German potato salad, and you've got a heck of an old-fashioned Florida meal!
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Florida seafood 2014/12/20 06:15:22 (permalink)
1st stop Killer seafood in Mexico Beach, Fla. as recommended by CajunKing. These fine people had the nerve to be closed from right after Thanksgiving to 1/14/15. Of course I didn't know this until I got there. I did have an enjoyable couple hours at the beach, enjoyed the sun and the F/A 18s flying in around and over Penscola and the gulf.

2nd stop as recommended by some locals, Indian Pass Raw Bar. Closed for the day... Geeez I'm getting hungry and dissapointed.

So I continue heading East on CR-30A and US 98 thru Apalacola when I see a sign for Lynn's Quality Oysters. An older block building on the side of 98 with a sign reading fresh oysters wholesale, retail and on the half shell. Now that has to be a sign from Heaven especially since they are obviously open.

I walk in and am warmly greeted, there are several blue collar types at the bar and a couple ladies at a table. Obviously locals and seem to be nice folks. Great not a tourist trap and a true Roadfood place.

So I belly upto the bar and take a seat, ask for a menu and an unsweet iced tea. I'm told the special of the day is a fried grouper sandwich cooked to order. I've never had grouper so I order 1 of those and a dz raw oysters. A man brings in a small sack of oysters and proceeds to shuck them right in front of me. He tells me they were harvested that morning about 2 miles away, $9 a dz. A little Tobasco and I'm off. Sweet, tasty and plenty of liquor.

The grouper sandwich is a large piece of fried fish on a sesame seed bun with tartar sauce, lettuce and tomato. It too is very tasty, I eat about half with the bun and all then ditch all but the fish. Round 2 of oysters are ordered. Again shucked right in front of me. I'm stuffed and glad I got skunked earlier.

One of the locals offers me a tip on getting to I-10 faster and it worked out well for me. If/when I get back down this way and I plan on doing so, I will definetely plan on going here again.

402 U.S. 98
Eastpoint, Florida 32328
Get directions
(850) 670-8796

post edited by MikeS. - 2014/12/20 06:28:33
wingmanBBF
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 127
Re: Florida seafood 2015/06/09 22:08:39 (permalink)
I know it's an old thread but very revealing.
Important to note that Mike asks for recommendations in Orlando....and almost every post suggests a location that's NOT in Orlando....
Affirms what I've found...there's almost no non-chain, non-corporate restaurant food to be found in Orlando.
Since I do go there about once a year, I'd love to have someone suggest a location that proves me wrong......Anybody?
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re: Florida seafood 2015/06/10 00:27:57 (permalink)
wingmanBBF
I know it's an old thread but very revealing.
Important to note that Mike asks for recommendations in Orlando....and almost every post suggests a location that's NOT in Orlando....
Affirms what I've found...there's almost no non-chain, non-corporate restaurant food to be found in Orlando.
Since I do go there about once a year, I'd love to have someone suggest a location that proves me wrong......Anybody?

MikeS.
I'll be in Orlando the next 3 weeks, staying with the Mouse most of that time. I'd like to travel up to the panhandle or down to Tampa for some fresh seafood.
 I like anything fishy that lives in water but I'm particular to scallops, oysters and fish in that order

I am just not reading it the way you are, WingmanBBF. I read it as him wanting to get away from Orlando and look for some good seafood. And nowhere did I see any mention of chain restaurants. 
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11954
Re: Florida seafood 2015/06/10 01:22:36 (permalink)
Most of the fish in Orlando comes from the Gulf Coast Side anyway. 
wingmanBBF
Cheeseburger
Re: Florida seafood 2015/06/10 10:47:52 (permalink)
Sorry, All...I read the first reply as a reference to what I've found...Fishbones  and Bonefish are both very corporate, highly-packaged, as are most of the places I've found in Orlando.
My post was an opportunity to ask the board for more local, roadfood friendly locations in a very corporate city...
I see now that I should have posed the question as a new thread...but, having done so, the question remains....
Can anyone help with truly local Roadfood-worthy locations in and around Orlando?

Ann, Although he is long gone, my reply and search in Orlando goes on...again, should have started a new thread....

post edited by wingmanBBF - 2015/06/10 10:55:04
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re: Florida seafood 2015/06/10 12:08:02 (permalink)
No worries, Wingman. I wish I could help you with Roadfood places but I too have not had great luck finding fish places there. The closest I found is going to the Panbhandle and Pensacola. One thing you might check into though. There are several fishing trip places within a few hours. I took one (I have the trip trophy to prove it) and it was great. The key is, a lot of them out of Kissamee and other local places will cook it for you when you get back to shore. You might try that.

Ed
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3947
Re: Florida seafood 2015/06/10 12:17:01 (permalink)
Orlando is in the middle of the state, nowhere near a body of water that would produce much in the way of quality seafood. There are places to find good, quality, LOCAL seafood, but Orlando is generally not one of those places. The best local Florida seafood is found in the Panhandle area. You can find some stuff up and down both coasts, but the Panhandle is your best bet. 

Fishbones, for what it is worth, is not a chain. They are part of a high-end "restaurant group" that offers a number of top notch steakhouses. My comparison point would be the Dallas-area Chamberlain's, which is fantastic. 

If you are saying that ALL food in Orlando is corporate/chain, then you need to drive away from the theme parks. Yes, darn near everything around Disney and Universal are chains. Who goes there? Tourists. What to most tourists want? The familiar. There is a reason why Olive Garden is packed and it is not just because they advertise on television. They appeal to the same segment of the population that thinks that going to Disney is the pinnacle of vacation excitement. If you explore some of the neighborhoods in Orlando (Winter Park, for one), you will find many locally-owned restaurants, to include barbecue, American greasy spoons, Caribbean, etc. 

As a complete aside, but related to the idea of finding seafood in Orlando...a friend once worked in guest relations for the Disney Vacation Club. She fielded an angry phone call from someone who was very disappointed that their accommodations at one of the resorts with proximity to the theme parks had no oceanfront view. If I had taken that call, I would have thought it was a prank. She told me that she would get at least one per year. Florida is a big state, surrounded by a LOT of water, but not everywhere (and, especially near Orlando) has oceanfront rooms. 
wingmanBBF
Cheeseburger
Re: Florida seafood 2015/06/10 22:24:21 (permalink)
Thanks Ed and TM,
TM, I really disagree about Fishbones. Whether you call it a group or a chain, it still is a sizable number of restaurants, some with the same name, some with different themes, but all owned by the same parent corporation....Charley's's Steak house, Fishbones, Vito's chop house, Moonfish, texas cattle company and Johnnie's Hideaway......9 locations, all owned by talk of the town group....
I understand there are good chains and bad chains...I've eaten at and really enjoyed Moonfish and Johnnie's Hideaway....and was very disappointed by Charley's in Kissimee....But they're still chains...owned by a corporation, profit is the only point, not family owned, zero tradition.....
Smith and Wollensky...a very good chain....but till a corporate chain...In fact the original owners were fed up with the corporate life and bought back the flagship in Manhattan, splitting with the other locations...
Certainly, to say "Olive Garden" and "The Palm" in the same breath is blasphemy, but at the end of the day, they're more alike than different, when compared to a small third generation mom and pop devoted to customer, and product as well as profit...
in fact, let's not even talk seafood...let's just talk Roadfood...I admit that my experience with Orlando is limited to the convention center and Disney...At least since lee and Ricks went out of business.....but My question remains...is there any true mom-and-pop eatery in Orlando that anyone can recommend to free me from the chains of the chains, great or small, upscale or family "trough"?
plb
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1192
Re: Florida seafood 2015/06/10 23:53:11 (permalink)
There are seven "official" Roadfood places in the Orlando area reviewed under the Restaurants tab above. What about them? Two appear to be seafood places.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11954
Re: Florida seafood 2015/06/11 01:31:26 (permalink)
"The best local Florida seafood is found in the Panhandle area."
I second what The Travelin' Man Said!
ann peeples
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10403
Re: Florida seafood 2015/06/11 05:02:08 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby wingmanBBF 2015/06/11 06:21:12
Sorry, wingman. I didn't read your post correctly, and have removed my snotty response.
wingmanBBF
Cheeseburger
Re: Florida seafood 2015/06/11 06:21:51 (permalink)
Thanks, Ann....
Truth is, I misread the original post, not realizing he actually said he had Orlando covered and was looking more along his route....
Wingman
post edited by wingmanBBF - 2015/06/11 06:46:31
ann peeples
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10403
Re: Florida seafood 2015/06/11 11:40:52 (permalink)

CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7503
Re: Florida seafood 2015/06/28 00:11:47 (permalink)
I mised this thread 
Sorry mike that Killer was closed, they do that now, the summer months are SO busy and the winter months so dead that they now shut down turkey day until Presidents day
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15787
Re: Florida seafood 2015/11/12 15:31:49 (permalink)
    One format that some places in Florida offer's that one will not find in most other coastal areas of the country are Fish Markets that will steam (or grill/fry) your seafood after you buy it in the 'market area'.  Many of these offer 'Dirt Cheap' food that is top quality and Fresh as possible from it's source. The one that comes to mind is JOE-PATTI'S in Pensacola. Hundreds of choices and most right off the Boat .
    We enjoyed several pounds of Deep-water Ruby Red Shrimp Steamed and seasoned for only $7.00 a pound, That made for a great 'eat in the car' lunch one day. We brought home an iced cooler with 15 more pounds of those tasty shellfish and enjoyed them for several meals at home later that month.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 23230
Re: Florida seafood 2015/11/12 15:52:38 (permalink)
Mr. Mayor, when I skippered a charter fishing boat out of Miami's Bayfront Park we'd take dolphin (and grouper, wahoo and tilefish, etc.) fillets to the restaurant at the park's Pier Five where'd they cook them for our meals. It was a pretty good deal. We'd supply the fish and they'd do a whole dinner -- salad, potatoes, vegetable, etc., along with our fish for half a buck. Things were a little less expensive then.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Florida seafood 2015/11/12 16:12:47 (permalink)
Michael,
   Our charter (6 Pack) Captain has the same arrangement set up with a restaurant next to the Marina where he is based, The current price is $5 to $7 per person depending on the 'style' of preparation (fried, Grilled & Blackened, Poached with various sauces, etc and, extras and side dishes. It does not include the Bar Tab.
  We have a 2 bedroom apartment,  with full kitchen and large freezer in the condo for our stay...Oceanfront, so surf fishing is on the list also, I am sure some of our meals will be 'Home-Cooked' !
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: Florida seafood 2015/11/12 16:25:12 (permalink)
That sounds like a really good deal.

mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Florida seafood 2015/11/13 18:56:15 (permalink)

The best part of the deal is that one of my kids has a Condo/Time Share in PCB, That son-in-law (the T/S owner) will be one of the two son's coming along to help Janet take care of getting me around. He has never Salt Water Fished before and my other son on this trip has only been out a couple of times, as a kid.
(Link to Wyndham Resorts Condo's)- 

So the housing costs are less than $100 for 8 days and 7 nights,for the four of us.  The boat costs with crew tips and all the usual equipment supplied, lists at $1050 per full day and $800 for the 1/2-3/4 day inshore (Retail= $2900). With the barter agreed upon our actual cost will be a total of $500 for the time on the water.
    I have built a fast friendship with the Charter Captain, We are going to swap a couple of firearms that I no longer have much use for, for extended time on the water in his beautiful 34' SCARAB. We will pace ourselves, with much depending on the Winter "EL NINO" weather, but are scheduling 2 full-days and one half-day on the water, I think we will have a day between each of the boating days to rest and prep for the next adventure.
Boat  Photo-
     Setting up some pier fishing time and hopefully some surf and bay fishing also, I think we will be saturated by the time we leave for home.

Attached Image(s)

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: Florida seafood 2015/11/13 19:05:23 (permalink)

WOW!!!!!!!!
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5