Food stops - Massachusetts to Manassas, VA

Author
prstir
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
2003/03/20 10:06:18 (permalink)

Food stops - Massachusetts to Manassas, VA

Please help me with restaurant suggestions near major highways between Boston, MA and Manassas, VA - especially looking for stops in NJ to DC area and any advice for restaurants in Manassas area. Departure 3/21.Thanks

25 Replies Related Threads

burgerman206
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: Food stops - Massachusetts to Manassas, VA 2003/03/24 16:41:12 (permalink)
    Only thing I can come up with is is Aberdeen,Md. I forget the name, but it's a block west of US40, and across the street from the post office. Nothing fancy, mostly pizza,etc. but they do serve a very good cheesesteak. Quite large as well. When you get off 95 on the route 24 exit, look for the local route into Aberdeen-MD 1-something. If you cross over a RR track next to a gas station, you'll be 2 blocks away. The local PD is also across the street. There are other restaurants in town along US40. Happy foodtrails!
    mikemeg
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Food stops - Massachusetts to Manassas, VA 2003/03/25 15:01:04 (permalink)
    In Western Connecticut (Fairfield, Norwalk), you enter the promised land for hot dogs-- deep-fried, with interesting relishes. I can't recommend them strongly enough. You can see my summary of these hot dog joints at www.megargee.com/hotdogtour (sorry that the dog-shaped links don't work).

South Jersey: We've eaten at the Club Diner, Rte 168 N in Bellmawr (South Jersey). Good diner food.

Delaware: We've heard good things about the Charcoal Pit (http://www.hollyeats.com/CharcoalPit.htm -- holly eats is a great site for you)

Maryland: I don't know if this is the diner previously mentioned, but we've eaten at the New Ideal Diner a few times on our trips from VA to RI. It's partway down this page. http://www.route40.net/culture/diners-md.shtml

Finally, the Washington Post had a nice outline of Route 95 stops:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/travel/features/i95/north/survivalguide.htm
    stanpnepa
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 584
    RE: Food stops - Massachusetts to Manassas, VA 2003/03/25 21:40:52 (permalink)
    The Stern's recommend Ben's Whole Hog Barbecue in Manassas (7422 Old Centerville Rd.) and so do we!!! The buffet looked so good...and we're glad we gave it a shot. Great brisket, excellent mac and cheese (something I usually don't like) and---make room for the bread pudding...but I'm most embarassed to admit that on this DC to SC BBQ trip we liked Ben's pork the best! The vinegar sauce was terrific!!!
    Jockey7
    Junior Burger
    RE: Food stops - Massachusetts to Manassas, VA 2003/03/31 18:02:48 (permalink)
    In the Maryland area, there are many good restaurants. In the city proper, there is Haussner"s (or Hausner's) on the east part of the city. Excellent German/American food and a great museum (as part of the restaurant) worth about $2 million. There also is a bakery which offers tasty German products on the premises.

If you take the Baltimore/Washington Parkway in either direction, off Rte 32 (west)at Annapolis Crossing near Ft Meade and the National Security Agency is a place called Hinkle's (or Hinkel's). If you want an excellent sandwich in a local pub, this is the place to go. There is enough to eat for two people in one sandwich, especially if ordered "through the garden."
    Jockey7
    Junior Burger
    RE: Food stops - Massachusetts to Manassas, VA 2003/03/31 18:05:31 (permalink)
    My post of 18:02:48 should have said "Baltimore" as the city which has many restaurants and Haussner's or Hausner's. Sorry for the omission.
    Furgs
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 13
    RE: Food stops - Massachusetts to Manassas, VA 2003/04/13 17:17:12 (permalink)
    If you're travelling along I-95 to get to Manassas, then I suggest Dixie Bones. Take the Woodbridge/Rte. 1 exit off of 95. Go about a mile or so (you'll cross over the Occoquan River) and you're going to take a right on Occoquan Rd. You'll see Dixie Bones on your left after you turn on to Occoquan Rd. It's Carolina Style 'que, with all the fixin's. You can also get ribs, chicken and catfish. The sides are good-I'm especially partial to the greens and mac and cheese, but my husband prefers the "muddy spuds" which I have to say are good, too. I also like the pecan pie. Bon appetit!
    Furgs
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 13
    RE: Food stops - Massachusetts to Manassas, VA 2003/04/13 17:22:54 (permalink)
    Oops. I forgot. I was reminded about Five Guys after reading posts in other forums. If you take the same Woodbridge exit off of 95, stay on Rte. 1 for a couple of miles and you'll get to Five Guys on the left. Great messy burgers and "boardwalk" style fries, which, to the uninitiated are decidedly NOT crisp. They are rather soggy but taste of fresh potatoes and are handed to you in a greasy paper bag. You just pour some malt vinegar over them. YUM.
    jpatweb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 232
    RE: Food stops - Massachusetts to Manassas, VA 2003/04/13 18:58:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jockey7

In the Maryland area, there are many good restaurants. In the city proper, there is Haussner"s (or Hausner's) on the east part of the city. Excellent German/American food and a great museum (as part of the restaurant) worth about $2 million. There also is a bakery which offers tasty German products on the premises.

If you take the Baltimore/Washington Parkway in either direction, off Rte 32 (west)at Annapolis Crossing near Ft Meade and the National Security Agency is a place called Hinkle's (or Hinkel's). If you want an excellent sandwich in a local pub, this is the place to go. There is enough to eat for two people in one sandwich, especially if ordered "through the garden."

jpatweb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 232
    RE: Food stops - Massachusetts to Manassas, VA 2003/04/13 19:04:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jockey7

I thought Hausner's closed 4 or 5 years ago. Has it reopened?
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Food stops - Massachusetts to Manassas, VA 2003/04/14 21:45:16 (permalink)
    Get off I-95 at the first opportunity. When you get to North Jersey take I-287 to 202- to NJ29 to Lambertville, NJ. (I-287 and 202 are gastronomic deserts as far as I can tell). The bar in the cellar of the old Railroad statiion is a comfy welcoming retreat with good soup and sandwiches and a local brew called River Horse that complements the food. After Lambertville you have to get back on I-95 for a while to Wilmington Delaware. Pick up I-301 and stay with it as far as you can- at least to I- 95 near Richmond. Along the way stop in Kent Island, Maryland and go to The Jetty for a brew and some crab cakes. Crab cakes have gotten pricey lately and some places that formerly were super have started diluting and bastardizing their product - I hope the Jetty has kept up its previous standards.
    wrfc5
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 70
    RE: Food stops - Massachusetts to Manassas, VA 2003/05/09 23:49:29 (permalink)
    The New Ideal Diner in Aberdeen, Maryland is a winner. This is 5 minutes off 95, across from the Amtrak stadium and one block from the Cal Ripken museum. In a region famous for its crabcakes, the New Ideal has the best I've ever had (and I've had a few). This is also a beautiful, classic diner that hasn't changed since the 1950's, completely free of the neo-diner 50's stuff, just really good food.
    CheeseWit
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1416
    RE: Food stops - Massachusetts to Manassas, VA 2003/05/10 09:12:16 (permalink)
    In the Phila. area, get off of I-95 in South Philly (exit for Walt Whitman Bridge) and go to Front St. and Oregon Ave. There you'll find Tony Luke's. Get a cheesteak or better yet, get the Hot Pork with Broccoli Rabe sandwich. Afterwards, follow the signs for I-95 south and you'll be back on your way. In Delaware, exit I-95 at Rt. 202, take it north to The Charcoal Pit. Excellent '50s/'60's restaurant with great burgers and ice cream concoctions. Look for the great neon sign calling all roadfooders.
    RubyRose
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Food stops - Massachusetts to Manassas, VA 2003/05/10 13:01:21 (permalink)
    Another Charcoal Pit fan here. With all the shakes, floats, etc., it's easy to overlook their cherry cokes, which are still made with cherry syrup. If you do stop there, I'd recommend sticking with the traditional cheesburger. The quality of the steaks has been declining over the years.
    danc
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Food stops - Massachusetts to Manassas, VA 2003/05/12 00:43:56 (permalink)
    Hi there,

A must in Northern Virginia is Five Guys. Pretty much the best burger in the DC area. They're at 4626 King Street (aka Route 7) in the Bailey's Crossroads neighborhood of Alexandria. I think there's also one in Springfield VA on Backlick Road.

Lucky Bishop
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Food stops - Massachusetts to Manassas, VA 2003/06/09 01:21:42 (permalink)
    By the time you leave Boston and get off the Pike onto I-84, you'll be ready to eat: try Rein's Deli in Vernon, just north of Hartford. I believe it's exit 5. The Vernon sandwich is a sublime chicken salad club with bacon. For breakfast, I recommend salami and eggs with a toasted bialy.
    Pool Boy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 30
    RE: Food stops - Massachusetts to Manassas, VA 2003/06/14 14:15:55 (permalink)
    Charcoal Pit in DE is great. It reminds me of those Fred Flintstone's restaurants with Brontosaurus Burgers. Well the image anyway. The burgers and shakes there are great/
    harriet1954
    • Total Posts : 1204
    RE: Food stops - Massachusetts to Manassas, VA 2003/06/15 13:08:49 (permalink)
    I must concur about the Charcoal Pit. I am trying to turn my daughter on more and more to roadside culture - she just needs to get the rap/urban mentality erased permanently (wish me luck) - and last summer on a trip to the Christiana Mall, we had dinner at the Charcoal Pit in Bear.

http://www.charcoalpit.com/bearpage.html

WE BOTH LOVED IT!
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15787
    RE: Food stops - Massachusetts to Manassas, VA 2003/06/15 14:17:11 (permalink)
    Hang in there Shayna's MOM!! It doesn't matter if it Rap/Urban or Rural/Redneck or College/Preppie, The kid's need to sample it all, and even if they don't care for a second helping, they need to respect the concept that other's may enjoy something that is "different" from what our Children think is "good". I thought kids here in the Indiana Farm Belt suffered from the Provincial blah's...but It seems that it is universal!! We have to impress them that it is ok to be an individual ...with individual tastes, likes and dislikes.
    mikemeg
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Food stops - Massachusetts to Manassas, VA 2003/06/16 16:11:47 (permalink)
    A few months later, I can now vouch for the Charcoal Pit, and I will second the Tony Luke's vote. I tried the Oregon Ave. spot which was closed on the Sunday we visited. We stayed in Downtown Philly, however, and while walking to dinner that night, found that we were a block away from Tony Luke's Jr., a smaller version with the same food.

Now, a word on Tony Luke's. We ate at the cheese steak mecca in South Philly, and let me just say that I was not overwhelmed. I know that's blasphemy, but I thought the cheese steaks were not notably better than others I've had in non-meccas. All you need is good bread, fair steak, onions, and provolone (I had wiz and non-wiz, and while wiz may be traditional, the provolone greatly improved the taste)-- I've made delicious ones at home.

But at Tony Luke's we had the pork sandwiches, and I consider them to be unjustly neglected as the regional specialty. Everybody says, "you've gotta have a cheese steak in Philly". I say "you've gotta have the pork sandwiches in Philly". Sensational. The broccoli rabe, sauteed with garlic and pepper, makes this an amazing feast for the taste buds. And it's not like you'll find it on the menu of your local restaurant.

Broccoli rabe was also featured in the outstanding meal we had at Monk's (kind of a Belgian pub) downtown near Rittenhouse Square. I had a burger with broccoli rabe. The frites came with a bourbon aioli dipping sauce. While not really roadfood, it was amazing.

Five Guys in NoVa is as advertised. I mourn the day they closed the Arlington branch.
    Route 11
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 806
    RE: Food stops - Massachusetts to Manassas, VA 2003/06/23 13:47:15 (permalink)
    Three good places on Route 29 just south of Manassas...

1. Spitony's Pizza

2. Town and Country (family food)

3. Blue Ridge Seafood
    Browniebaker
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 40
    RE: Food stops - Massachusetts to Manassas, VA 2003/06/25 08:17:19 (permalink)
    The Washington Post this morning ran an article in the food section on D.C, area barbecue that featured, among others, Ben's Whole Hog in Manassas, VA (7422 Old Centerville Road):

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A25507-2003Jun24.html

According to the article, the place is now owned by a Korean couple who bought it from the previous owner Ben himself. The new owners seem to be offering the same menu as before but with some rookie mishaps now and then, the article mentions. Has anyone been to Ben's Whole Hog recently, since it came under new ownership? How was it? Also, is the place still offering the barbecue buffet that made Ben's Whole Hog such an amazing bargain?
    CheeseWit
    • Total Posts : 1416
    RE: Food stops - Massachusetts to Manassas, VA 2003/06/25 10:28:25 (permalink)
    I agree with your thoughts on the cheesesteaks at Pat's and Geno's. Yes, you can find much better steaks throughout the Philly area. These are the tourist traps that are featured on the Food Network and in travel books. I also agree that the Hot Pork sandwiches in Philly, especially at Tony Luke's, are the real food finds. You did well by going to Monk's. They have great burgers and fries. I'm a native Philly guy and I've tried almost every cheesesteak in the area over the last 35 years.
    quote:
    Originally posted by mikemeg

A few months later, I can now vouch for the Charcoal Pit, and I will second the Tony Luke's vote. I tried the Oregon Ave. spot which was closed on the Sunday we visited. We stayed in Downtown Philly, however, and while walking to dinner that night, found that we were a block away from Tony Luke's Jr., a smaller version with the same food.

Now, a word on Tony Luke's. We ate at the cheese steak mecca in South Philly, and let me just say that I was not overwhelmed. I know that's blasphemy, but I thought the cheese steaks were not notably better than others I've had in non-meccas. All you need is good bread, fair steak, onions, and provolone (I had wiz and non-wiz, and while wiz may be traditional, the provolone greatly improved the taste)-- I've made delicious ones at home.

But at Tony Luke's we had the pork sandwiches, and I consider them to be unjustly neglected as the regional specialty. Everybody says, "you've gotta have a cheese steak in Philly". I say "you've gotta have the pork sandwiches in Philly". Sensational. The broccoli rabe, sauteed with garlic and pepper, makes this an amazing feast for the taste buds. And it's not like you'll find it on the menu of your local restaurant.

Broccoli rabe was also featured in the outstanding meal we had at Monk's (kind of a Belgian pub) downtown near Rittenhouse Square. I had a burger with broccoli rabe. The frites came with a bourbon aioli dipping sauce. While not really roadfood, it was amazing.

Five Guys in NoVa is as advertised. I mourn the day they closed the Arlington branch.
    tamandmik
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 950
    RE: Food stops - Massachusetts to Manassas, VA 2003/06/25 16:36:48 (permalink)
    Let me say something about Monks Tavern in Philly: WOW!!! The greatest selection of beer I have seen along with the Country Inn in Krumville NY, and the fries there, in that Belgian dipping sauce, are in the pantheon of french fries. I could not agree more about Tony Lukes: the cheesesteak there is overrated indeed. And pricey.
    Lurker
    • Total Posts : 0
    RE: Food stops - Massachusetts to Manassas, VA 2003/06/26 08:28:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by mikemeg

I still say you get the best cheese steaks in Philly and the Surrounding area (including Northern Delaware and South Jersey) I've noticed after living in various cities that each city thinks there version of a regional item is "the best" even better than the original. While living in Pittsburgh, locals thought that their wings were the best, even better than those in Buffalo. Although wings in Pittsburgh were better than most, they did not compare to wings I've gotten at the Anchor Bar or Duffs. I remember back on Long Island, when Deep Dish Pizza was popular for a few weeks, that the locals actually thought their's were better than Deep Dish in Chicago. The same thing with Toasted Ravioli. They were popular for about 2 weeks back in NY. Everyone kept insisting they were invented in Greenwich Village. Everytime I tried to explain they were invented in St Louis, everyone kept saying "Impossible! There are no Italians in St Louis!"
    marberthenad
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 509
    RE: Food stops - Massachusetts to Manassas, VA 2004/08/16 21:30:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wrfc5

The New Ideal Diner in Aberdeen, Maryland is a winner. This is 5 minutes off 95, across from the Amtrak stadium and one block from the Cal Ripken museum. In a region famous for its crabcakes, the New Ideal has the best I've ever had (and I've had a few). This is also a beautiful, classic diner that hasn't changed since the 1950's, completely free of the neo-diner 50's stuff, just really good food.

wrfc5

I second your vote on the decor. A real beauty of a place.
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5