Hot!French fry topping

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Author
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4577
RE: French fry topping 2017/10/10 13:43:29 (permalink)
This is the topping bar at the Boise Fry Company, and a cup of their blueberry ketchup.
The blueberry ketchup is really really good.

Attached Image(s)

EdSails
Filet Mignon
RE: French fry topping 2017/10/10 14:02:22 (permalink)
GordonW
Arctic Circle, a nasty burger chain out of Salt Lake City has their (in)famous "fry sauce" -- a sweetish mix of tomato catsup and mayo. Still going strong there.

I am currently living a mile from an Arctic Circle. Went in finally to try it last week. Waited for five minutes, no service. Your description of the place as 'nasty' fits to a T. I walked out. Never will I go in again, next time I'm trying Culver's. 
Ghaz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 382
RE: French fry topping 2017/10/10 15:14:49 (permalink)
EdSails
GordonW
Arctic Circle, a nasty burger chain out of Salt Lake City has their (in)famous "fry sauce" -- a sweetish mix of tomato catsup and mayo. Still going strong there.

I am currently living a mile from an Arctic Circle. Went in finally to try it last week. Waited for five minutes, no service. Your description of the place as 'nasty' fits to a T. I walked out. Never will I go in again, next time I'm trying Culver's. 

Looked at a couple of copycat recipes for their fry sauce.  It looks like its simply equal parts ketchup, mayonnaise and buttermilk...
1bbqboy
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5807
RE: French fry topping 2017/10/10 18:19:25 (permalink)
Fry sauce is a Utah/ Western States thing. We get it here at old school Chinese places too. All our Arctic Circles vanished long ago.
I seem to remember being derided for suggesting BFC even though I trust my nephew 's opinion. :)
(Not by you, Ed)
post edited by 1bbqboy - 2017/10/10 18:22:14
EdSails
Filet Mignon
RE: French fry topping 2017/10/10 22:53:40 (permalink)
1bbqboy
Fry sauce is a Utah/ Western States thing. We get it here at old school Chinese places too. All our Arctic Circles vanished long ago.
I seem to remember being derided for suggesting BFC even though I trust my nephew 's opinion. :)
(Not by you, Ed)

Don't worry, you've got a good track record in my book!
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3082
RE: French fry topping 2017/10/13 14:44:05 (permalink)
EdSails
1bbqboy
(Not by you, Ed)

Don't worry, you've got a good track record in my book!

I didn't know Bill ran track!
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3665
RE: French fry topping 2018/05/27 09:34:07 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9145
RE: French fry topping 2018/05/27 12:01:28 (permalink)
While in Arizona a couple of months ago we spent part of a day on the South Rim of the Grand Canyon, and had a light lunch at the historic El Tovar Hotel.  Our server recommended the fries and they turned out to be excellent (some of the best I've ever had, seriously), and along with ketchup they came with a mild garlic aioli for dipping.  Very good!

The tenderloin chili was good, too, but I wish someone hadn't had such a heavy hand with the onions.

1bbqboy
Sirloin
RE: French fry topping 2018/05/28 16:48:33 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
While in Arizona a couple of months ago we spent part of a day on the South Rim of the Grand Canyon, and had a light lunch at the historic El Tovar Hotel.  Our server recommended the fries and they turned out to be excellent (some of the best I've ever had, seriously), and along with ketchup they came with a mild garlic aioli for dipping.  Very good!

The tenderloin chili was good, too, but I wish someone hadn't had such a heavy hand with the onions.

Fries served in that cone-looks tremendous. Plus the El Tovar and GC are breathtaking.
post edited by 1bbqboy - 2018/05/28 16:50:09
Pitaplus
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 23
RE: French fry topping 2018/09/18 06:41:46 (permalink)
Best topping is chilli flakes.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7264
RE: French fry topping 2018/09/18 09:10:51 (permalink)
And now there is this:

It must have tested well because Heinz is releasing it nationwide. 
Nevertheless, I will let someone else here "go first".
post edited by MetroplexJim - 2018/09/18 09:15:33
mlm
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 659
RE: French fry topping 2018/09/18 09:19:16 (permalink)
can't see it on my screen, MetroplexJim.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7264
RE: French fry topping 2018/09/18 11:14:57 (permalink)
mlm
can't see it on my screen, MetroplexJim.

Try clicking on the empty space.

Or this.  

mlm
Double Cheeseburger
RE: French fry topping 2018/09/18 12:32:43 (permalink)
Thanks for the link, Jim. It did the trick although clicking on the space didn''t work this time anyway. "Mayochup' sounds like an unnecessary product but, as a very long reach, it seems to sell to a small population who hasn't access to both products or has a very small space and doesn't want two bottles. IF I ever want it, I always have both items around so I'd mix my own. Even with the facts that I'm very lazy and have a super duper really small kitchen, I may well decide to add other condiments anyway to my sauce. I foresee them selling Mayochup as long as there's a market, but now, of course, I foresee other companies and store brands making and selling the product too. I'd give it all a year or two if that long.
1bbqboy
Sirloin
RE: French fry topping 2018/09/18 17:05:09 (permalink)
http://acburger.com/menu/fry-sauce.html

This is standard issue fry sauce in Utah and a lot of the far West.
Just proves the food World elite have no idea what goes on in flyover country.
post edited by 1bbqboy - 2018/09/18 17:08:32
Root-Beer Man
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1803
RE: French fry topping 2018/09/18 18:31:11 (permalink)
Mayochup? Feh. I've always called it Salsa Golf, as it is called in Argentina. Not sure we need a bottled version of it, though.
mlm
Double Cheeseburger
RE: French fry topping 2018/09/18 22:28:46 (permalink)
Agreed. I've seen so many recipes, many practically identical, on websites so it seems to me to be unnecessary to promote it as a 'new' item. It's no secret. Maybe the company has excess product and is trying to sell it by combining it into a convienence product. Beats me.
tmiles
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2773
RE: French fry topping 2018/09/19 09:28:13 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken

IMO "dipping" is better than "topping", because when sharing, people have a choice. 
Pitaplus
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 23
RE: French fry topping 2018/10/13 07:29:35 (permalink)
Pepper also goes well and forms a different taste.
leethebard
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10166
RE: French fry topping 2018/10/13 10:59:19 (permalink)
My son always takes ketchup on the side that grounds a lot of pepper in it,stirs it with a fry and then dips in pepper ketchup. Now we're all doing that. It's very good.
masarapba
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
RE: French fry topping 2018/11/27 03:55:31 (permalink)
That blueberry ketchup looks really weird though 
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
RE: French fry topping 2018/11/28 00:53:11 (permalink)
 The Hot Dog University secret French fry topping: https://www.tulkoff.com/product/chipotle-chili-aioli/

CSD
leethebard
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10166
RE: French fry topping 2018/11/28 04:32:25 (permalink)
chicagostyledog
 The Hot Dog University secret French fry topping: https://www.tulkoff.com/product/chipotle-chili-aioli/

CSD

Looks good, better on a hot dog!
Ram4
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 59
RE: French fry topping 2018/11/28 14:42:38 (permalink)
Glenn1234
MetroplexJim
Glenn1234
MetroplexJim
Glenn1234
I must be boring when it comes to fries.  I like them with salt sprinkled on top and some ketchup on the side to dip 'em in.   
Glenn

As I have always suspected, you are a civilized gentleman.

Even though I would never say anything, those benighted individuals who randomly pour ketchup over a pile of fries cause a little 'urp' in the back of my throat.

Yes, I cringe at ketchup that is squirted all over the fries.  My primary reasoning for the kethcup "on the side" is to keep the crisp fries crisp.  One of my biggest food pet peeves is soggy food that is supposed to be crisp.  I take a similar approach with other food that should be crisp.  When I order country fried steak, I get it with the gravy "on the side."   Sometimes, I get looked at as if I have two heads.  Yes, it's a prettier presentation with gravy on top.  With my way, however,  it allows the CFS to stay crisp, and I still get to enjoy the gravy by dipping each piece as I cut it.  

Glenn

Good Lord! 
Are you my brother from another mother?

I always ask for sauces, dressings, and gravies to be served in ramekins.

When we set out for Five Guys (as opposed to an on-the-road impulse) I take a plate so they won't wrap my burger.  Otherwise, I stand at the counter, spot my burger, and remove the foil ASAP.  I  soggy bread.  The same with "French Dip"; I'll dip my own, thank you.

I might be a brother from another mother!  (Or, at least a cousin.) 

I don't go as far as bringing my own plate to Five Guys, but I immediately unwrap the foil.  Janet and I can't figure out why anyone of sound mind would ever get a burger or fries "to go" to take home!  Even if the person lived a few blocks aay, that's too long for sogginess to set in for a burger or for fries. 

We also do the same as you in regard to gravies, etc.   There is a large midwestern population SW FL, so there are a decent number of Chicago Italian beef places that are run by Chicago transplants.  We always order it "dry", with the "au jus"  on the side,  and it is still often somewhat soggy.  We wish they would just wait a few more seconds to let the meat drip off before putting it on the crusty bread, ... which becomes no longer crusty.  

Glenn

The true way to get an Italian Beef (or Combo sandwich) is to have the entire thing dipped in the gravy.  I know you like the crusty bread and I do too but you are missing the point.  The purpose of dipping an Italian Beef sandwich is that the bread becomes the delivery vehicle of the spices and fat in that gravy and all that flavor is packed into the now soggy bread.  But a great bread will hold together and not fall apart even when dipped.  How can I say that I know this is right?  Because I used to be like you - I only ordered it dry with a side of gravy.  Once I had it dipped I never went back.  A dry beef may have nice crust on the bread (and even then most places in Chicago DO NOT toast the bread lightly (Portillo's does)) but it will be devoid of all the flavor a dipped one gets.  You are missing out.  You need to make an exception.

On everything else you said I mostly agree.  I want my fries crisp (often ordered well done) and I prefer to dip as needed (unless it's poutine).  Same thing with chicken fried steak.  Almost always gravy on the side.  Even chicken parm I might order this way.
Ram4
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 59
RE: French fry topping 2018/11/28 15:02:42 (permalink)
Back on topic - I like a good poutine.  Best I've had so far was Frenchy's Poutinery in Windsor ON.  I haven't been to Quebec yet.

I also like fries au poivre which is usually a brandy or cognac cream sauce with peppercorns.

Typically I go the ketchup on the side route with my fries.  If gravy is an option I'll get that.

A few guilty pleasures from the chains:

A1 Peppercorn Spread at Red Robin.  I had the A1 Peppercorn burger there and I loved the spread they used.  It was pretty much a thick mayo with A1.  I asked for extra on the side for the fries and it was amazing.  I normally don't eat at Red Robin, but I would just for this A1 spread (which to my knowledge is not sold in stores).

Fry Sauce at Freddy's Frozen Custard and Steakburgers.  The sort of famous Utah fry sauce is available here and I love it.  I'll put it on my burgers too.  They sell bottles of the stuff.

Cane's Sauce at Raising Cane's Chicken Fingers.  Similar to Fry Sauce, it has a little more peppery kick with black pepper, garlic powder and worcestershire.

FLG Sauce at Kentucky Fried Chicken.  Finger Lickin' Good sauce is once again another ketchup+mayo sauce that is on the sweet side and it's very good for those potato wedges.  I'll substitute it for regular mayo on their Crispy Colonel Sandwich (you have to say no mayo and then add it yourself).
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6574
RE: French fry topping 2018/11/28 19:36:57 (permalink)
Ram4
The true way to get an Italian Beef (or Combo sandwich) is to have the entire thing dipped in the gravy.  I know you like the crusty bread and I do too but you are missing the point.  The purpose of dipping an Italian Beef sandwich is that the bread becomes the delivery vehicle of the spices and fat in that gravy and all that flavor is packed into the now soggy bread.  But a great bread will hold together and not fall apart even when dipped.  How can I say that I know this is right?  Because I used to be like you - I only ordered it dry with a side of gravy.  Once I had it dipped I never went back.  A dry beef may have nice crust on the bread (and even then most places in Chicago DO NOT toast the bread lightly (Portillo's does)) but it will be devoid of all the flavor a dipped one gets.  You are missing out.  You need to make an exception.

We are in total agreement on this issue.  In fact I order my Italian Beef "Dipped Twice" just to make sure it's good and saturated, through and through.  To drive the point home regarding the importance of the well soaked bread, one of our favorite spots for IBs, Bob-O's (this also ties it to the thread because Bob-O's makes great fresh hand cut fries!), serves an item called a "Soggy".  For $1.50, it is a length of crusty roll, dipped in the IB gravy; no meat, maybe some peppers.  That's the kind of thing that raises the question, "What's the most important thing about an Italian Beef Sandwich, the meat or the gravy it's soaked in?"

Buddy
Root-Beer Man
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1803
RE: French fry topping 2018/11/28 19:41:21 (permalink)
Totally in agreement. Dipped is the only way to go!
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
RE: French fry topping 2018/11/28 20:20:57 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6574
RE: French fry topping 2018/11/29 13:05:11 (permalink)
Nice visuals for those unfamiliar with the Italian Beef genre.  But you and I both know; even though Al's is Chicago's most famous Italian Beef purveyor, they are not the best.  Most locals agree, Johnnie's holds that title.  The problem is that the quality of Johnnie's Fries (sorta back on topic again) doesn't match the Beef or Sausage Sandwiches.  They're serving a frozen, crinkle-cut Sysco product while many other top tier places (including Al's and Bob-O's) are doing a fresh, hand-cut Fry.

That makes Bob-O's an easy choice when giving out-of-towners the Chicago Food Tour.

Buddy
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
RE: French fry topping 2018/12/01 20:33:38 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
Nice visuals for those unfamiliar with the Italian Beef genre.  But you and I both know; even though Al's is Chicago's most famous Italian Beef purveyor, they are not the best.  Most locals agree, Johnnie's holds that title.  The problem is that the quality of Johnnie's Fries (sorta back on topic again) doesn't match the Beef or Sausage Sandwiches.  They're serving a frozen, crinkle-cut Sysco product while many other top tier places (including Al's and Bob-O's) are doing a fresh, hand-cut Fry.

That makes Bob-O's an easy choice when giving out-of-towners the Chicago Food Tour.

Buddy

I agree. Johnnie's is my favorite IB. Ore-Ida's frozen shoestrings have been on their menu for years. However, their Italian ice makes up for their fries. I'm accustomed to having an Italian ice with their beef sandwich, so fries are not necessary.

CSD
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5