Hot!French fry topping

Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Author
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6560
RE: French fry topping 2018/12/01 23:11:55 (permalink)
chicagostyledog
BuddyRoadhouse
Nice visuals for those unfamiliar with the Italian Beef genre.  But you and I both know; even though Al's is Chicago's most famous Italian Beef purveyor, they are not the best.  Most locals agree, Johnnie's holds that title.  The problem is that the quality of Johnnie's Fries (sorta back on topic again) doesn't match the Beef or Sausage Sandwiches.  They're serving a frozen, crinkle-cut Sysco product while many other top tier places (including Al's and Bob-O's) are doing a fresh, hand-cut Fry.

That makes Bob-O's an easy choice when giving out-of-towners the Chicago Food Tour.

Buddy

I agree. Johnnie's is my favorite IB. Ore-Ida's frozen shoestrings have been on their menu for years. However, their Italian ice makes up for their fries. I'm accustomed to having an Italian ice with their beef sandwich, so fries are not necessary.

CSD

Ah, but Bob-O's serves Italian Ice (in season) as well.  Trifecta to Bob-O's; great Italian Beef, outstanding fresh hand-cut Fries, and Italian Ice all under one roof.  Oh yeah, with plenty of indoor counter space to sit and enjoy your food.  How's that Johnnie's IB workin' for you, sitting outside in the dead of winter?

Again, I happily concede Johnnie's as the Best Italian Beef in town, but they don't necessarily follow through on the rest of the menu.

Buddy
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3660
RE: French fry topping 2018/12/02 18:26:47 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
chicagostyledog
BuddyRoadhouse
Nice visuals for those unfamiliar with the Italian Beef genre.  But you and I both know; even though Al's is Chicago's most famous Italian Beef purveyor, they are not the best.  Most locals agree, Johnnie's holds that title.  The problem is that the quality of Johnnie's Fries (sorta back on topic again) doesn't match the Beef or Sausage Sandwiches.  They're serving a frozen, crinkle-cut Sysco product while many other top tier places (including Al's and Bob-O's) are doing a fresh, hand-cut Fry.

That makes Bob-O's an easy choice when giving out-of-towners the Chicago Food Tour.

Buddy

I agree. Johnnie's is my favorite IB. Ore-Ida's frozen shoestrings have been on their menu for years. However, their Italian ice makes up for their fries. I'm accustomed to having an Italian ice with their beef sandwich, so fries are not necessary.

CSD

Ah, but Bob-O's serves Italian Ice (in season) as well.  Trifecta to Bob-O's; great Italian Beef, outstanding fresh hand-cut Fries, and Italian Ice all under one roof.  Oh yeah, with plenty of indoor counter space to sit and enjoy your food.  How's that Johnnie's IB workin' for you, sitting outside in the dead of winter?

Again, I happily concede Johnnie's as the Best Italian Beef in town, but they don't necessarily follow through on the rest of the menu.

Buddy

I never eat out side at Johnnie's in the winter. I eat inside and stand at the end of the counter near the exit, taking the traditional "bend over" stance, which is the true, correct way to eat an Italian beef in Chicago. Johnnie's is all about the "experience." You don't get that experience sitting down.

CSD
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
RE: French fry topping 2018/12/02 21:41:34 (permalink)
If you're going to make reference to the proper "Italian Beef Stance", at least provide a visual for those unfamiliar with the concept.

Buddy
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3660
RE: French fry topping 2018/12/02 22:25:19 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
If you're going to make reference to the proper "Italian Beef Stance", at least provide a visual for those unfamiliar with the concept.

Buddy

Here's you visual:
https://vimeo.com/8829774?ref=fb-share&fbclid=IwAR1wTF6yPOk2AuBGLrvGIqRbLWZPOOzgEcHzT5k0DSCmMlBAT3OIp-qAE0Y

CSD
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9095
RE: French fry topping 2018/12/02 22:44:32 (permalink)
I hear that some recently discovered Carl Sandburg writings extol Chicago not only as "City of the Big Shoulders" but also as the "City of the Sloppily Incompetent Mouthgorgers".

But I could be wrong.
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
RE: French fry topping 2018/12/02 23:53:11 (permalink)
chicagostyledog
BuddyRoadhouse

Buddy

Here's you visual:
https://vimeo.com/8829774?ref=fb-share&fbclid=IwAR1wTF6yPOk2AuBGLrvGIqRbLWZPOOzgEcHzT5k0DSCmMlBAT3OIp-qAE0Y

CSD

Nice.  Motion, sound, in color even.  Just like Hollywood.

ScreamingChicken
I hear that some recently discovered Carl Sandburg writings extol Chicago not only as "City of the Big Shoulders" but also as the "City of the Sloppily Incompetent Mouthgorgers".

But I could be wrong.

No, you're right.  It's a point of pride in fact.  OTOH, we don't squeak when we eat like you Dairy Land Cheese Curd Chompers.

Buddy
kozel
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1191
RE: French fry topping 2018/12/03 11:30:54 (permalink)
There's a burger, hot dog, & custard chain called Freddy's that has fry sauce, fry seasoning and a jalapeno fry sauce available at their restaurants. They also sell take home versions.  Their fries are shoestring style and their restaurant menu has regular, cheese and chili cheese versions. They also offer fried cheese curds.

For some reason, the jalapeno sauce is shown but does not appear you can order it. (Well, they fixed that!)
https://spectrumpromotion.../clients/freddysstore/

post edited by kozel - 2018/12/04 15:32:39
masarapba
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
RE: French fry topping 2018/12/04 11:22:16 (permalink)
When I went to the Philippines there's this really popular french fries shop there where they would sprinkle powder on top of their fries. The choices are: Garlic, Cheese, Barbecue, and Ranch. It was the best flavored fries I have ever tasted.

post edited by masarapba - 2018/12/11 01:57:29
Ghaz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 377
RE: French fry topping 2019/03/07 09:27:54 (permalink)
MetroplexJim
And now there is this:

It must have tested well because Heinz is releasing it nationwide. 
Nevertheless, I will let someone else here "go first".

New additions to the Mayochup 'family'

https://www.usatoday.com/...ue-mashups/3069130002/
post edited by Ghaz - 2019/03/07 09:30:25
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 23076
RE: French fry topping 2019/03/07 11:17:44 (permalink)
lleechef
quote:Originally posted by clothier

quote:Originally posted by lleechef

quote:Originally posted by wanderingjew

Of couse when I was living in Pittsburgh, french fries were added to Salads and were also put inside sandwiches.
[id="quote"]
Oh yes! Steak Salad! Fries and the sliced steak on top of the salad! Those are good. Fries on the sandwich: Primanti's in the strip district? Haven't had that stuff in ages!

[id="quote"]

I love steak salad. We put it on the menu on this place I worked at in Ohio, and the only people who ever ordered it were from Pittsburgh.

[id="quote"]
Only folks from Pittsburgh and France would put potatoes on a salad and think it was yummy. Salad nicoise, after all, does have potatoes on it and I adore it. In the summer I make a nice composed salad of grilled shrimp (or whatever, chicken, etc.), grilled par-boiled potato slices, grilled tomatoes, asparagus, peppers and whatever else I can throw on. Put all that on a nice fresh bowl of greens picked from the garden, generously sprinkle with gorgonzola, blue, or whatever cheese you like, top with champagne vinaigrette. French fries could be equally substituted on the above salad.......but since the grill is already fired up.........

TThat sounds like a terrific salad. I'd like to try it sometime.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 23076
RE: French fry topping 2019/03/07 11:17:44 (permalink)
lleechef
quote:Originally posted by clothier

quote:Originally posted by lleechef

quote:Originally posted by wanderingjew

Of couse when I was living in Pittsburgh, french fries were added to Salads and were also put inside sandwiches.
[id="quote"]
Oh yes! Steak Salad! Fries and the sliced steak on top of the salad! Those are good. Fries on the sandwich: Primanti's in the strip district? Haven't had that stuff in ages!

[id="quote"]

I love steak salad. We put it on the menu on this place I worked at in Ohio, and the only people who ever ordered it were from Pittsburgh.

[id="quote"]
Only folks from Pittsburgh and France would put potatoes on a salad and think it was yummy. Salad nicoise, after all, does have potatoes on it and I adore it. In the summer I make a nice composed salad of grilled shrimp (or whatever, chicken, etc.), grilled par-boiled potato slices, grilled tomatoes, asparagus, peppers and whatever else I can throw on. Put all that on a nice fresh bowl of greens picked from the garden, generously sprinkle with gorgonzola, blue, or whatever cheese you like, top with champagne vinaigrette. French fries could be equally substituted on the above salad.......but since the grill is already fired up.........

TThat sounds like a terrific salad. I'd like to try it sometime.
lazycook
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 24
RE: French fry topping 2019/03/07 13:16:44 (permalink)
when eating fish and chips I once accidentally squeezed lemon juice on some of the fries.  Loved it, and now do it often when lemon is available.  I detest vinegar unless it's been used for a pickle, but perhaps it's a similar experience for those who like vinegar?  IDK.  
leethebard
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10055
RE: French fry topping 2019/03/07 14:01:07 (permalink)
Malt vinegar, if using vinegar. Delicious!Q
Ghaz
Cheeseburger
RE: French fry topping 2019/03/07 15:31:46 (permalink)
leethebard
Malt vinegar, if using vinegar. Delicious!Q

Agreed on the malt vinegar.  It's just about my favorite way to eat fries.
Root-Beer Man
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1778
RE: French fry topping 2019/03/07 15:45:57 (permalink)
Ghaz
MetroplexJim
And now there is this:

Well, I have been mixing mayo and mustard (French's) since I was a kid in the late 60's. Still my favourite condiment on a ham sandwich. And my favourite fry/tots dipping sauce is Salsa Golf (mayo and ketchup). I have had mayo and BBQ sauce before and it's a favourite of mine when I give in and buy a couple of packages of the pre-sauced Jack Daniel's Pulled Pork. It's a great combo!  That said, I doubt I'm going to go out and buy any of these as they are all too easy to make on the spur of the moment.
leethebard
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10055
RE: French fry topping 2019/03/07 16:41:27 (permalink)
Root-Beer Man
Ghaz
MetroplexJim
And now there is this:

Well, I have been mixing mayo and mustard (French's) since I was a kid in the late 60's. Still my favourite condiment on a ham sandwich. And my favourite fry/tots dipping sauce is Salsa Golf (mayo and ketchup). I have had mayo and BBQ sauce before and it's a favourite of mine when I give in and buy a couple of packages of the pre-sauced Jack Daniel's Pulled Pork. It's a great combo!  That said, I doubt I'm going to go out and buy any of these as they are all too easy to make on the spur of the moment.

Agreed.So east to mix your own. We always have these condiments in house. How lazy can you be to mix your own...and save money!
Ghaz
Cheeseburger
RE: French fry topping 2019/03/07 18:25:11 (permalink)
You do get a consistent product.  Not too much mayo, not too much ketchup, etc...

As for the Mayomust, it's hardly a new idea.
Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5