Fried Chicken

Author
jfitz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 116
2008/09/09 20:48:24 (permalink)

Fried Chicken

I just had the best fried chicken since I was at the Dixie Cafe and Steak House ,Live Oak, Florida. It was at the Eliza Cafe in downtown Eliza, Ill. Listen to this: they do Catfish and Scored Carp on Fridays. Fried Chicken on Tuesdays.See ya there!

15 Replies Related Threads

hotdogger
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 88
    RE: Fried Chicken 2008/09/09 21:16:18 (permalink)
    What's scored carp?
    jfitz
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Fried Chicken 2008/09/10 07:05:23 (permalink)
    Scored carp is considered a hors doover in Mercer Co. Ill. You get yourself a medium sized carp [bottom feeder fish} and clean it,filet and cut it up in strips and cut slits in strips [as in scoring]. Roll it in flour and cornmeal and fry the hell out of it. Smoking carp is also popular along the mighty Miss.as well. I always found them hard to keep lit.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6730
    RE: Fried Chicken 2008/09/10 09:29:04 (permalink)
    Does the Eliza Cafe pan fry or deep fry?

Brad
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7480
    RE: Fried Chicken 2008/09/10 15:53:24 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by hotdogger

What's scored carp?

Don't you know maaaan, that is like a... code maaaaan

You Know maaaaan scored carp, Toldeo Window Box, Pan Red

jfitz
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Fried Chicken 2008/09/10 18:50:06 (permalink)
    Brad, they deep fry the scored carp to an unrecognizable dark crusty gob that reminds you of over cooked chicken livers. I would go there for the catfish and have some scored carp to appear local.It's a river thing. jfitz
    mncorn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 151
    RE: Fried Chicken 2008/10/20 02:00:48 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by CajunKing

quote:
    Originally posted by hotdogger

What's scored carp?

Don't you know maaaan, that is like a... code maaaaan

You Know maaaaan scored carp, Toldeo Window Box, Pan Red

CajunKing,

???? What is this all about?

jellybear
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1135
    RE: Fried Chicken 2008/10/20 08:03:36 (permalink)
    Carp?!Dem Florida Crackers will eat anything!
    Gumbo191
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 71
    Re:Fried Chicken 2010/02/19 23:18:31 (permalink)
    Need to try Monte Ne Inn Arkansas
    pimple2
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 107
    Re:Fried Chicken 2016/07/03 13:53:37 (permalink)
    Scored carp began as method to break down the numerous lines of bones that support the skeletal musles of the fish. Counting down from the dorsal fin to the ventral fin, i.e. from the top to the belly of the fish, there are FOUR lines of bones running the length of the fish, many of them shaped like a Y.

If you were to carefully par-bake the fish until just tender, using 2 forks, it would be a fairly simple matter to pull apart with some practice, each of the 4 lines of muscle, separating the meat from the bones. Then you can lift out cleanly the entire skeletal structure and push back the flesh together, leaving a boneless carp, that can then be covered in various sauces and further baked, or cooked into croquettes etc.

Carp is the most valuable food fish in Asia, and used to be very valuable in Europe as well. Before giving away to ignorant sneers, we need to understand what the numerous species are and how they feed and what they feed on. Superciliousness and a know-it-all attitude will be the downfall of us, in the very near future, as it has been in many of our military campaigns in Asia where we have underestimated and denigrated the "OTHER" to our great cost.

Like Kudzu, or the golden euphorbia, carp is a very great blessing if one is able to understand its merits. And yes, I am a legume biologist, so I do know exactly what I say about Kudzu! 

Scoring carps began as a way to deal with the allergy to carp bones among some emigrant groups that does not hinder carp from being prized among millions of other Americans who have  have ALSO helped build up this nation, from even before the great waves of the Irish, Italians, East Europeans, etc. arrived! Yes, the Chinese, and even some early South Asians!  Transcontinental raliway, remember? Who provided the labor?

Anyway, from OK to points north, there are machines that score the carp very closely along its body, perhaps every 2 cm or even closer. The age of the fish definitely matters as to the size, density and thickness of the bones, but this is not a place to wax eloquent on carp anatomy and biology!!  When these scored carp are PROPERLY DREDGED and PROPERLY DEEP FRIED, it is seen that the scored bones seem not to matter in the eating.

For Asians, the bones do not matter anyway. Large sized WINTER CARP, 3-5 kg, and above, Cyprinus carpio, Labeo rohita, Catla catla, and other species prized in South Asia, begin to thicken their bones to the extent that picking them out is not an issue at all, for those who eat with their hands. There are even minnow sized Cyprinids, e.g. Amblypharyngodon mola, that are eaten whole and these are some of the most expensive and most prized species. They are also some of the most ecologically efficient, having a Harvest Index of nearly 1, i.e 100%. 

We shall NO LONGER have the luxury of raising fish by feeding them corn, soy and fishmeal. Let us get a little bit real before we destroy our country to the point of no-return and send it into the Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic each spring with our spring planting.

Our 25 feet of prairie topsoil is down to 18 inches. Because I have spent my life working to preserve what is left of this soil, working to create cropping systems that do not further impoverish us,  I have earned the right to speak out on this subject. 

Chinese enjoy the grass carp, silver carp, and bighead carp, all introduced into US waters, and they consume all of these with chopsticks, after cooking in various ways, whole or cut into pieces. 

Carp and the Ohio grass shrimp are invaluable resources we have been blessed with. So many more plants and animals that seem unfamiliar or ridiculous NOW to most but which will stand our nation in good stead in the times  to come.

Don't diss the carp, muchachitos! It is here to save your life!

Our technical and scientific virtuosity will be set to naught. All the omics and high science we practice, the labs and students at my/our disposal, all will be a distant memory to the generations 60 years down the line, so wastefully and carelessly are we living now, so disrespectful of this magnificent and blessed land, a true paradise if there ever was one.

It is not how we choose to eat that is so much the problem but how we choose to waste and to remain WILFULLY ignorant of our choices that are destroying us from the inside.   Roadfood is an excellent place to begin the debate, no matter how heated it turns, on such issues> CARP is merely the symbol of how we choose to utilize our food resources, and to know more deeply about what they might really mean for our country.

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 21360
    Re:Fried Chicken 2016/07/03 17:51:14 (permalink)
    Carp are trash fish. They're good for just one thing -- fertilizer.
    mar52
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10574
    Re:Fried Chicken 2016/07/03 18:09:38 (permalink)
    Hey!  They make good gefilte fish!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 21360
    Re:Fried Chicken 2016/07/03 18:32:59 (permalink)
    mar52
    Hey!  They make good gefilte fish!

True. My grandmother used carp and pike. Actually, my grandfather would bring home a live carp and a live northern pike and out them in the bathtub. When my grandmother was ready to make gefilte fish she'd take the two fish out, kill them, gut them, skin them, bone them and grind them up.
    mar52
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10574
    Re:Fried Chicken 2016/07/03 18:44:58 (permalink)
    My grandmother may have done the same.  Something about fish in the tub sounded very familiar.
    Root-Beer Man
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 731
    Re:Fried Chicken 2016/07/04 15:00:24 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman
    Carp are trash fish. They're good for just one thing -- fertilizer.

Not true. I've eaten many a carp in restaurants in China and they were all excellent. Fried carp in Brown Sauce is an awesome dish. The problem with American pallets is they're too limited on cooking methods. Fried, grilled or broiled plain is about the extent with fish in this country. A good Chinese cook can take a carp and turn it into something truly tasty and memorable.
    pimple2
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 107
    Re:Fried Chicken 2016/07/13 12:50:45 (permalink)
    Stoller Fisheries processes carp in many interesting ways, especially for the Ashkenazim jewish markets, plural. One product is boneless carp mince, which can be turned into numerous savory dishes in Thai, Indian, Chinese and Western cuisines.

• In Hong Kong alone, many millions of fish balls are consumed EACH DAY in various types of brothy noodle dishes, ranging from the spicy to the very austere.  Carp would fill this nice very well.
    • Remember, before calling something trash, that the world of exports earns the US hard cash without which its perilous habit of eating meat fed with grains and legumes could not be sustained. Our surplus of carp can be turned into value-added products, like fish cakes, and other fish-based dishes that are eagerly sought in many parts of the world.
    • Carp remains a valued food fish in Europe, Israel, and other so-called developed nations whose habits appear to impinge a lot on the US. By the way, it is always useful to remember that China is exceeding the US economy is absolute dollar terms, and in Purchasing Power Parity terms, China is the 2nd largest economy, followed by either Japan or India. Makes you think twice about which markets need to be catered to for the continued well-being of the US economy? Or do such simple facts fail to make an impression on uneducated, ill-informed arrogance and superciliousness? Smithfield Pork, the largest vertically integrated  pig production outfit in the US has been purchased outright by the Chinese, whose consumption of pork now is 5X the US total. The next step th Chinese will make will be to buy fish production facilities in a land where water and other resources, including imbeciles happy to work for $10-12/hr, are available in unlimited quantities.  Being uneducated, foolish and the slave of international forces, market or otherwise, is entirely a personal choice. 
    • I have watched with great interest, live whole carp being sold in Swiss supermarkets, e.g. at Baden. Obviously, there is a significant demand for such a service to be offered, and people are eating whole Cyprinus carpio at home, prepared in kitchens that would seem minuscule by US standards of space, convenience, etc.  I am sure that those in the Baden area are many times MORE prosperous and more sophisticated foodlovers than most of the "interesting" folk shooting off their mouth here in the US. 
    • There is a huge Asian and South Asian market for live carp in the major eastern cities, driven by the weekly purchases of those whose median income is $84-88K, well above the US median of c. $54-56K. They are not all dumb clowns chowing down on fertilizer grade trash, are they? These are the same people who are making the US hi-tech economy and educational institutions hum with their presence, if more proof is warranted.  All indiscriminate eaters of fertilizer and trash, eh?  
    • For centuries, the Japanese have buried whole carp  in cooked rice, with salt, and allowed it to ferment for up to 2 years. The carp turns into a boneless, cheesy product that can be sliced like spam. Just as sushi and its many variations are taking the US by storm, there is high likelihood that fermented fish products like these can become better known and a judicious substitute for strong, cheesy, umami flavors.

Jump to:
    © 2016 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5