Helpful ReplyHot!Future trips into next year.

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
joerogo
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5105
Re: Future trips into next year. 2017/10/14 10:12:18 (permalink)
I'm holding out for Pittston in 2051!!!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 22617
Re: Future trips into next year. 2017/10/14 11:39:25 (permalink)
I'm just holding out for the rest of 2017.
lleechef
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11498
Re: Future trips into next year. 2017/10/14 11:45:45 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby joerogo 2017/10/15 09:32:07
Michael Hoffman
I'm just holding out for the rest of 2017.

Let's go to Pittston!!!!
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10194
Re: Future trips into next year. 2017/10/14 13:12:39 (permalink)
joerogo
I'm holding out for Pittston in 2051!!!

Well you had your opportunity last month, but you were dog sitting and the Railriders lost anyway
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6794
Re: Future trips into next year. 2017/10/15 19:16:17 (permalink)
Just got done with a 7 week trip through the Pacific northwest from Vancouver, BC down to Sonoma/Napa wine country. I think we have accomplished our goal of visiting RV accessible national parks in the lower 48 over 12 years of RVing in a campervan. We have gone to all 49 states and all the provinces of Canada. This last trip we were in Petaluma, CA overnighting Sunday night in a hospital parking lot just a few miles from Santa Rosa when we woke up to a soot covered van. Little did we know the worst fires in California history were taking place. We knew from the panic in a CVS pharmacy when it was flooded with evacuees trying to fill prescriptions at the same time we were trying. We listened in line to the stories of leaving their homes and forgetting their medicines. We had planned to drive through Napa that morning but the roads were closed. Even so, the road to Davis, CA had wildfires on both sides with wood guard posts in flames. It was that close. We are home now. We pretty much drove straight through after a stop at Davis and Sacramento to meet friends and Great Basin NP near the Utah border in Nevada was spoiled by smoke from the wine country fires.

Our next trip will be Australia and New Zealand for 30 days in January. Then it is off to the southwest in February. In May it is my annual pilgrimage to Indiana to sample pork tenderloin sandwiches and the Indy 500. Part of that trip will be Cleveland, OH and Pigeon Forge, TN for RV rallies. Fall of 2018 is yet unplanned. Summer is local since there is not better weather in the summer than Minnesota.
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4736
Re: Future trips into next year. 2017/10/17 15:49:28 (permalink)
Glad you got out and nice line-up for 2018!

wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Future trips into next year. 2017/10/18 07:40:07 (permalink)
As predicted, it appears the Iowa portion of our cross country  trip next year will bring us into the Quad Cities and then Pella since Sandra really wants to visit Pella when the shops our open (meaning we'll have to wait till Monday morning). There are some very important logistics to this trip (one of which  is avoiding the inflated hotel rates during the Albuquerque Balloon fiesta, the others I won't get into now) so we had to plan the dates/times well in advance
joerogo
Sirloin
Re: Future trips into next year. 2017/10/18 07:50:08 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby wanderingjew 2017/10/18 08:01:16
wanderingjew
As predicted, it appears the Iowa portion of our cross country  trip next year will bring us into the Quad Cities and then Pella since Sandra really wants to visit Pella when the shops our open (meaning we'll have to wait till Monday morning). There are some very important logistics to this trip (one of which  is avoiding the inflated hotel rates during the Albuquerque Balloon fiesta, the others I won't get into now) so we had to plan the dates/times well in advance

I think Sandra likes Northeast Window more than Pella!
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re: Future trips into next year. 2017/10/18 10:12:36 (permalink)
Davydd
Just got done with a 7 week trip through the Pacific northwest from Vancouver, BC down to Sonoma/Napa wine country. I think we have accomplished our goal of visiting RV accessible national parks in the lower 48 over 12 years of RVing in a campervan. We have gone to all 49 states and all the provinces of Canada. This last trip we were in Petaluma, CA overnighting Sunday night in a hospital parking lot just a few miles from Santa Rosa when we woke up to a soot covered van. Little did we know the worst fires in California history were taking place. We knew from the panic in a CVS pharmacy when it was flooded with evacuees trying to fill prescriptions at the same time we were trying. We listened in line to the stories of leaving their homes and forgetting their medicines. We had planned to drive through Napa that morning but the roads were closed. Even so, the road to Davis, CA had wildfires on both sides with wood guard posts in flames. It was that close. We are home now. We pretty much drove straight through after a stop at Davis and Sacramento to meet friends and Great Basin NP near the Utah border in Nevada was spoiled by smoke from the wine country fires.

Our next trip will be Australia and New Zealand for 30 days in January. Then it is off to the southwest in February. In May it is my annual pilgrimage to Indiana to sample pork tenderloin sandwiches and the Indy 500. Part of that trip will be Cleveland, OH and Pigeon Forge, TN for RV rallies. Fall of 2018 is yet unplanned. Summer is local since there is not better weather in the summer than Minnesota.

Will you have the RV shipped over, rent one there of try some other means of travel?  

MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3474
Re: Future trips into next year. 2017/10/18 13:41:12 (permalink)
Davydd
......Our next trip will be Australia and New Zealand for 30 days in January............

Do they have BPT over there or will you go cold turkey for 30 days?  

wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Future trips into next year. 2017/10/18 14:19:25 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2017/10/18 17:49:54
MilwFoodlovers
Davydd
......Our next trip will be Australia and New Zealand for 30 days in January............

Do they have BPT over there or will you go cold turkey for 30 days?  

in New Zealand it will be more like "Cold Kiwi"
Unless  they have BKT's  out there! 
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re: Future trips into next year. 2017/10/18 19:36:51 (permalink)
I'll take Northeast for windows, Pella for bologna! 
Davydd
Sirloin
Re: Future trips into next year. 2017/10/20 19:17:35 (permalink)
Pella is worth it when the tulips are in bloom. For that matter Holland, Michigan is the other go to for the tulips. Both cities go overboard.
Davydd
Sirloin
Re: Future trips into next year. 2017/10/20 19:23:45 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner
Davydd

Will you have the RV shipped over, rent one there of try some other means of travel?  

We will be on a tour for the first 26 days flying and bussing it. Then at the end of the tour we will be staying on Waiheki Island off Auckland, NZ for an additional few day staying at our friends and former neighbors house. Waiheki is a vineyard paradise.
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re: Future trips into next year. 2017/10/21 15:00:07 (permalink)
Sounds like another winner!  
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Future trips into next year. 2017/11/09 15:54:29 (permalink)
Still not sure if we'll be heading to Vermont, thanksgiving weekend. If we do, I'm not sure if we'll head up towards Montpelier and Barre or stay in Brattleboro and only go as far north as Weston. There is one new place I would like to visit- it's gotten great reviews and appears to be very "Roadfoody" and looks to have a promising menu

Shepherd's Pub

Wintahaba
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 734
Re: Future trips into next year. 2017/11/09 16:40:46 (permalink)
wanderingjew
Still not sure if we'll be heading to Vermont, thanksgiving weekend. If we do, I'm not sure if we'll head up towards Montpelier and Barre or stay in Brattleboro and only go as far north as Weston. There is one new place I would like to visit- it's gotten great reviews and appears to be very "Roadfoody" and looks to have a promising menu

Shepherd's Pub

WJ, if you are entering VT  from NY (Troy/Albany) Rt 7 try to stop at MAN of KENT-
It was GREAT when John Stoate and his Wife were running it alone (+ Lucy, his pet Pig & ducks and geese) in the late 80's/early 90's and is still great under new ownership. An old roadside gas/food stop from the 30/40's. If I remember correctly John was from Australia and grew up in England...or vise versa. Anyway, That is one factor of the great vibe, plus he had a lot of great beers not found anywhere at that time.

wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Future trips into next year. 2017/11/09 17:50:24 (permalink)
Wintahaba

I'm very familiar with this route- took it many times while visiting family in Albany on our way to either the Blue Benn in Bennington or Dot's in Wilmington or even the sadly now defunct Skyline Restaurant in Marlborough (which has now become a hipsterish pizza joint and brew pub). If we do take this route , it will likely be on our our way to visit my brother and his family in Albany  from our visit to Vermont however we'll likely pass through "before hours" so I don't think we'll be able to visit. On an interesting note, I do recall my brother's late Father In law, hailed from Hoosick Falls.
joerogo
Sirloin
Re: Future trips into next year. 2017/11/11 09:14:07 (permalink)
wanderingjew

Shepherd's Pub

Drive up a little further and try Black Rock Steakhouse.  I forgot what the used to season their steaks, but it was fantastic.  Also, they pick up their own seafood at the seashore!

Also, on Sunday they feature several full dinners for 10 Bucks!  I ordered the whole bellies and couldn't finish them.  They also had a prime rib dinner for 10 Bucks!  Who does that!? :)
post edited by joerogo - 2017/11/11 09:18:45
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re: Future trips into next year. 2017/11/11 09:22:03 (permalink)
joerogo
wanderingjew

Shepherd's Pub

Drive up a little further and try Black Rock Steakhouse.  I forgot what the used to season their steaks, but it was fantastic.  Also, they pick up their own seafood at the seashore!

Also, on Sunday they feature several full dinners for 10 Bucks!  I ordered the whole bellies and couldn't finish them.  They also had a prime rib dinner for 10 Bucks!  Who does that!? :)

I saw you order gizzards and not finish those either...I'm seeing a trend here!

wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Future trips into next year. 2017/11/11 10:01:25 (permalink)
joerogo
wanderingjew

Shepherd's Pub

Our stay in VT will be likely be brief , so we'll likely want to eat iconic  like tourists. 
I've been wanting to return to the P & H truck stop for years- the best Maple Cream Pie I've ever had. Shepherd's Pub will also be on the list as I noted previously as well as either The Blue Benn Diner or Dot's Restaurant for breakfast- this is all assuming that we'll spend the rest of the weekend in Albany. 
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Future trips into next year. 2017/11/11 10:19:51 (permalink)
I've already been working on our itinerary for our trip for next fall- This is going to be a trip that involves advanced planning for specific reasons, in fact it's taken precedence over my spring trip to Colorado and Utah (the only thing planned for the that trip is working the days around ballgames) as well as my summer weekend trip to Delaware and the mid atlantic (again worked around ballgames)
Our restaurant itinerary is 90% complete- there are still holes in Roswell/Carlsbad NM, an couple of "and's or if's" in Taos, as well as Austin and San Antonio since I'm still unsure in which order we'll visit those two cities.

I thought I would be begin with a rough preview of our food itinerary in chronological order which of course is subject to change since long standing restaurants like to go out of business right before I visit. 

Schwabl's- West Seneca NY

Sokolowski's University Inn- Cleveland OH

Balaton- Cleveland OH

Blue Gate Restaurant- Shipshewana IN

Machine Shed- Davenport IA

Goldie's Ice Cream Shoppe-  Prairie City IA

I'll continue to update and add periodically

ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8042
Re: Future trips into next year. 2017/11/11 10:29:13 (permalink)
Save room for a QC-style pizza when you're in Davenport...
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re: Future trips into next year. 2017/11/11 10:37:53 (permalink)
You omitted Gary...Michael is rolling over...somewhere!

wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Future trips into next year. 2017/11/11 10:49:08 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken

That's ok- I think we're set !

ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re: Future trips into next year. 2017/11/11 10:56:16 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby joerogo 2017/11/18 15:57:14
wanderingjew
ScreamingChicken

Always one to give advice...never one to accept it!  " />
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Future trips into next year. 2017/11/11 11:05:19 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner
wanderingjew
ScreamingChicken

Always one to give advice...never one to accept it!  " />" />

Only time for one meal for the Quad Cities and we'll be moving on... This ain't gonna be one of those Chi Town Diner style trips...  
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Future trips into next year. 2017/11/11 11:16:35 (permalink)
Ok....moving on....

Jaarsma Bakery- Pella IA

Coffee Cup Cafe - Sully IA

Stroud's- Kansas City MO

Niecie's Restaurant- Kansas City MO

LC's Bar-B-QKansas City MO

Town Topic   or LC's Hamburgers - Kansas City

Breadbasket-  Newton KS

Cattlemen's Steakhouse- Oklahoma City OK

wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Future trips into next year. 2017/11/11 12:34:10 (permalink)
Continuing on with this  Roadfood Relevant thread.

Golden Light Cafe and Cantina  or Youngblood's Cafe  **- Amarillo Tx

**Youngblood's is owned by the original owner of the Stockyards Cafe which appears to have slid steadily downhill since new ownership took over in late 2013

The Love Apple- Taos NM ** 
** not roadfood

Orlando's New Mexican Cafe or Casa De Valdez- Taos NM

Rancho De Chimayo- Chimayo MN

La Cocina- Espanola NM

Garcia's Kitchen - Albuquerque NM

Mary and Tito's - Albuquerque NM

Ok...that's enough for now...

post edited by wanderingjew - 2017/11/13 20:20:51
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Future trips into next year. 2017/11/16 18:41:57 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2017/11/17 07:07:30
I just found out I will need to do storm duty again next year- essentially I have to choose one weekend day to work sometime between December and April, therefore I will opt for a comp day instead of "6 day pay" that means my summer Mid Atlantic ball park trip will turn into a three day weekend trip instead of just a weekend trip
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5