Helpful ReplyHot!Future trips into next year.

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10203
Re: Future trips into next year. 2017/11/16 20:39:09 (permalink)
Thought I would add to the tentative list for next fall's cross country trip

Tecolote Cafe- Santa Fe NM

Santa Fe Bite- Santa Fe NM

Harrys Roadhouse- Santa Fe NM

Frontier Restaurant- Albuquerque NM

Padilla's Mexican Kitchen - Albuquerque NM

***the next 3 meals will be in Roswell/Carlsbad NM***** Haven't decided where we will go yet although the restaurant at Carlsbad Caverns National Park will likely be a lunch stop out of convenience

Pody's BBQ- Pecos TX

Chris Madrid's - San Antonio TX

ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4740
Re: Future trips into next year. 2017/11/17 07:08:16 (permalink)
Do they all accept reservations out this far? 
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Future trips into next year. 2017/11/17 07:39:09 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner

Yes,

When I set up a reservation for an overnight stay at  the Inn at Rancho De Chimayo they asked if I wanted to make dinner reservations too!

*edit*

since I can't order everything off the left side of the menu and visit 14 restaurants in one day or travel to a different state every weekend, this is the way I do things- BTW- the Boston folk think the way I do things is the COOLEST of all!
post edited by wanderingjew - 2017/11/17 07:41:31
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 12018
Re: Future trips into next year. 2017/11/17 07:55:14 (permalink)
wanderingjew
ChiTownDiner

since I can't order everything off the left side of the menu and visit 14 restaurants in one day or travel to a different state every weekend,

Man, those guys sound like real jerks....

buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 12018
Re: Future trips into next year. 2017/11/17 08:01:08 (permalink)
WJ-
I thought you mentioned Roswell somewhere in here, but I can't find it.  We will be spending the night there in a couple of weeks and have a few of places in mind.  I'll let you know how they are.  

Hopefully, someone from Mars will be able to find something good to eat in Roswell! 
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Future trips into next year. 2017/11/17 08:09:45 (permalink)
buffetbuster
wanderingjew
ChiTownDiner

since I can't order everything off the left side of the menu and visit 14 restaurants in one day or travel to a different state every weekend,

Man, those guys sound like real jerks....

If I could do what you do- I would ! But getting through all of that New England and Tri State traffic is the first major drawback! I remember how easy it was to take weekend trips from Pittsburgh and only having to worry about backup at the Squirrel Hill Tunnel!

buffetbuster
WJ-
I thought you mentioned Roswell somewhere in here, but I can't find it.  We will be spending the night there in a couple of weeks and have a few of places in mind.  I'll let you know how they are.  

Hopefully, someone from Mars will be able to find something good to eat in Roswell! 

Thanks buffetbuster, I think we'll stop for dinner in Roswell on the way down from Albuquerque.  If you find anything "non New Mexican" that would be helpful- I think we would be ready for a break from that by then (I know Sandra would be) - even Southwestern similar Harry's Roadhouse in Santa Fe would be  fine- or even  a good burger joint/sandwich shop
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re: Future trips into next year. 2017/11/17 13:48:56 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby wanderingjew 2017/11/17 13:55:53
BTW- the Boston folk think the way I do things is the COOLEST of all!
 post edited by wanderingjew - 6 hours ago

That explains why they've gone underground....
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Future trips into next year. 2017/11/17 13:53:10 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner
BTW- the Boston folk think the way I do things is the COOLEST of all!
 post edited by wanderingjew - 6 hours ago

That explains why they've gone underground....

Hey, that's ok

#onepersonandonepersononly thinks what you and buffetbuster does is really cool and what I do is obnoxious and disturbing

post edited by wanderingjew - 2017/11/17 13:56:31
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Future trips into next year. 2017/11/17 19:20:37 (permalink)
Where we visit next will depend on the order in which we visit San Antonio and Austin- there will be alot of "ifs' ands' and ors'"

Ray's Drive In or Taco House- San Antonio

Hoover's Cooking- Austin TX

Louie Mueller Barbecue - Taylor Tx or Black's BBQ - Lockhart TX

Threadgill's -Austin TX or Hill's Cafe- Austin TX or  The Monument Cafe - Georgetown TX

Joe's Bakery and Coffee Shop- Austin TX

Sartin's Seafood Beaumont TX

Tujague's- New Orleans LA

wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Future trips into next year. 2017/11/18 10:31:24 (permalink)
And moving forward....

Cafe Du Monde- New Orleans LA

Mother's-  New Orleans LA 

Casamento's Restaurant - New Orleans LA

Central Grocery- New Orleans LA

Bon Ton Cafe- New Orleans LA

The Camellia Grill - New Orleans LA

Bully's Restaurant - Jackson, MS

Ramon's- Clarksdale MS or Coletta's Restaurant- Memphis TN

ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re: Future trips into next year. 2017/11/18 10:39:43 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby chickenplucker 2017/11/18 14:44:41
I've been up since 5am waiting for this list...
joseiw
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 28
Re: Future trips into next year. 2017/11/18 10:46:34 (permalink)
It has been a long time since we were active in any way, and we miss this group badly! We are in Wichita, and would suggest something outside of the Breadbasket in Newton if you have time. So many other better places, to my mind. We would love to meet up if it is possible when you come through--it might be nice to do a group meet-up in the area! We would be happy to line up some places here. Alton Brown has called Wichita one of his Top 10 cities for food. 

We will also be in New Orleans the weekend of the Roadfood-instigated food festival (America's Hometown Eats, or whatever it is called now) if anyone else will be there.  Keep us in the loops--we drive for food!

Joe and Kerry Seiwert
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Future trips into next year. 2017/11/18 10:46:50 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Wintahaba 2017/11/18 11:04:35
ChiTownDiner
I've been up since 5am waiting for this list...

And I  thought you were up waiting for the next post on the "What's for dinner" thread?
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Future trips into next year. 2017/11/18 10:52:18 (permalink)

joseiw
It has been a long time since we were active in any way, and we miss this group badly! We are in Wichita, and would suggest something outside of the Breadbasket in Newton if you have time. So many other better places, to my mind. We would love to meet up if it is possible when you come through--it might be nice to do a group meet-up in the area! We would be happy to line up some places here. Alton Brown has called Wichita one of his Top 10 cities for food. 

We will also be in New Orleans the weekend of the Roadfood-instigated food festival (America's Hometown Eats, or whatever it is called now) if anyone else will be there.  Keep us in the loops--we drive for food!

Joe and Kerry Seiwert

Thanks for  responding. Honestly I have always had a wonderful experience at the Breadbasket.  The focus of our 3 and a half week road trip is "iconic eats" and I learned that Sandra loves bierocks as as much as I do.  If there's another Mennonite restaurant in Wichita or the surrounding area  that has a similar menu we'd love to hear about it. Unfortunately Wichita is going to be a very quick lunch stop because we want to make it to the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum in Oklahoma so we can spend a couple of hours there in the mid to late afternoon.

joerogo
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5110
Re: Future trips into next year. 2017/11/19 11:54:47 (permalink)
wanderingjew
Continuing on with this  Roadfood Relevant thread.

The Love Apple- Taos NM ** 
** not roadfood

ChiTownDiner  asked me if I wanted to rendezvous at The Love Apple........I really don't know how to take that? 

leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8871
Re: Future trips into next year. 2017/11/19 12:48:09 (permalink)
Can't afford one trip, let alone "trips" I'll live vicariously through you multi-trip takers. Do any of you take requests???

ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re: Future trips into next year. 2017/11/19 13:11:53 (permalink)
joerogo
wanderingjew
Continuing on with this  Roadfood Relevant thread.

The Love Apple- Taos NM ** 
** not roadfood

ChiTownDiner  asked me if I wanted to rendezvous at The Love Apple........I really don't know how to take that? 

Dining attire is...Fig Leaf Optional?  
Root-Beer Man
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1235
Re: Future trips into next year. 2017/11/19 13:22:40 (permalink)
wanderingjew
And moving forward....

Cafe Du Monde- New Orleans LA

Mother's-  New Orleans LA 

Casamento's Restaurant - New Orleans LA

Central Grocery- New Orleans LA

Bon Ton Cafe- New Orleans LA

The Camellia Grill - New Orleans LA

Bully's Restaurant - Jackson, MS

Ramon's- Clarksdale MS or Coletta's Restaurant- Memphis TN

Coletta's is a decent choice for Memphis, if you've never been before. The food's good, but for me it was a one and done. I'd go back, if invited by extended family there, but there are other places in Memphis I'd rather go, (like Uncle Lou's for the best chicken in the city). We've added Casamento's to our list of restaurants next time we're in New Orleans. Sadly, only my daughter and I are oyster lovers. Also want to try out Pascale's Manale. So many good restaurants and so little time!
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Future trips into next year. 2017/11/19 20:37:12 (permalink)
Root-Beer Man

Coletta's is a decent choice for Memphis, if you've never been before. The food's good, but for me it was a one and done. I'd go back, if invited by extended family there, but there are other places in Memphis I'd rather go, (like Uncle Lou's for the best chicken in the city). We've added Casamento's to our list of restaurants next time we're in New Orleans. Sadly, only my daughter and I are oyster lovers. Also want to try out Pascale's Manale. So many good restaurants and so little time!

I've been to Coletta's but Sandra hasn't, in fact she has never been to Memphis. We will have a whole full day in Memphis so there will be more restaurants in the itinerary to come in a future post. If we did visit Coletta's it would be for the pulled pork pizza which they invented and their BBQ Salad which I've never had before. We plan to stop in Clarksdale and visit the Blues Museum in the afternoon so whether we go to Ramon's in Clarksdale (which I loved) or Coletta's in Memphis will depend on how hungry we are before we leave Clarksdale for Memphis
ChiBears15
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 340
Re: Future trips into next year. 2017/11/19 21:05:51 (permalink)
If you are going to be in Clarksdale, why wouldn't you take her to Dreamboat BBQ?

Ha 😐
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Future trips into next year. 2017/11/20 07:35:16 (permalink)
ChiBears15
If you are going to be in Clarksdale, why wouldn't you take her to Dreamboat BBQ?

Ha 😐

No, but I will take her to   Top's BBQ in Memphis!
--
On an aside

It looks like we will be spending the  Friday after Thanksgiving in Vermont and will be driving to Albany after breakfast on Saturday

The plan is we will leave Sandra's house in Connecticut Friday morning, have breakfast at Daybreak Coffee Roasters in Glastonbury CT. Then drive to VT and have lunch at P & H Truck Stop in Wells River, then drive up to Stowe and spend the day there (neither of us have ever been there. We'll then have dinner at Shepherd's Pub in Waitsfield and then take the 2 hour drive to Brattleboro and spend the night there. After Coffee on Saturday morning at Mocha Joe's in Brattelboro we will have breakfast at Blue Benn Diner in Bennington and then take the hour drive to Albany and spend the rest of the weekend with my older brother and his family

post edited by wanderingjew - 2017/11/20 07:36:37
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re: Future trips into next year. 2017/11/20 07:51:41 (permalink)
Enjoy...most of us will be working, supporting our economy so u have more time off.  
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Future trips into next year. 2017/11/20 08:00:49 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner
Enjoy...most of us will be working, supporting our economy so u have more time off.  

You do know that you can take yourself out of that "most of us will be working" equation  Besides it's Black Friday we'll be dining out, possibly picking up a few gifts and supporting the local economy while you support your local donut shop
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re: Future trips into next year. 2017/11/20 08:54:49 (permalink)
wanderingjew
ChiTownDiner

You do know that you can take yourself out of that "most of us will be working" equation  Besides it's Black Friday we'll be dining out, possibly picking up a few gifts and supporting the local economy while you support your local donut shop

Actually, the local donut shop will be Thursday morning, around 9:30'ish if you'd care to join us!  
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Future trips into next year. 2017/11/20 11:00:30 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2017/11/20 12:20:15
ChiTownDiner
wanderingjew
ChiTownDiner

Actually, the local donut shop will be Thursday morning, around 9:30'ish if you'd care to join us!  

Sorry, I'll be at Main Street Coffee- they're open Thanksgiving morning
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Future trips into next year. 2017/12/09 13:21:58 (permalink)
I thought I would continue to BRAG bring up one of the few relevant ROADFOOD topics on the forum about my EXPENSIVE    affordable trip that anyone with a  lower middle class income can afford.

Barksdale Restaurant  - Memphis TN

Payne's Bar B Que-  Memphis TN

The Bar B Q Shop- Memphis TN

Arnold's Country Kitchen- Nashville TN

The Loveless Cafe- Nashville TN

Pancake Pantry- Nashville TN

Meridee's Breadbasket  or Puckett's Grocery and Restaurant - Franklin TN

Carver's Applehouse Restaurant- Cosby TN

Uncle Groucho
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 480
Re: Future trips into next year. 2017/12/09 13:29:40 (permalink)
Any " HOT chicken " in the future?

wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Future trips into next year. 2017/12/09 13:37:39 (permalink)
Uncle Groucho

I had to "get that out of my system" on my last trip through Nashville back in July. Since Sandra will be a sport traveling with me through the spiciest regions of the country (New Mexico and Louisiana) hot chicken (and hot fish) will have to take a back seat. 
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6702
Re: Future trips into next year. 2017/12/09 15:45:58 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby wanderingjew 2017/12/10 09:54:38
wanderingjew
Uncle Groucho

I had to "get that out of my system" on my last trip through Nashville back in July. Since Sandra will be a sport traveling with me through the spiciest regions of the country (New Mexico and Louisiana) hot chicken (and hot fish) will have to take a back seat

Or, perhaps not ...
In addition to their usual menu the Loveless Café offers hot chicken on Fridays.
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Future trips into next year. 2017/12/10 09:43:05 (permalink)
MetroplexJim
wanderingjew
Uncle Groucho

I had to "get that out of my system" on my last trip through Nashville back in July. Since Sandra will be a sport traveling with me through the spiciest regions of the country (New Mexico and Louisiana) hot chicken (and hot fish) will have to take a back seat

Or, perhaps not ...
In addition to their usual menu the Loveless Café offers hot chicken on Fridays.

MJ

Thanks for checking but we had to strategically plan our trip well in advance for a variety of reasons. Our visit the The Loveless Cafe is going to fall on "watermelon ribs" day so unfortunately we'll be one day off, however the good news is our visit to Arnold's Country Kitchen will fall on country fried steak day- and from photos I've seen it looks like they serve the real deal, not the country fried steak masquerading as chicken fried steak stuff.
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5