Helpful ReplyLockedGLEE CLUB MEETING-- All Invited

Page: << < ..2122232425.. > >> Showing page 25 of 26
Author
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 23238
Re:GLEE CLUB MEETING-- All Invited 2014/10/02 15:53:30 (permalink)
Nope. Just a dislike of the area.
ChiBears15
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 525
Re:GLEE CLUB MEETING-- All Invited 2014/10/06 20:25:22 (permalink)
Seeing how there isn't any overwhelming demand for Jax / St. Augustine (like there was for the Cincy Chili Crawl), I am going to propose a few other destinations.

First, I was thinking Charleston, SC.  The beautiful town has many great Roadfood eateries and lots of history.  Just like the Sign Museum in Cincinnati, we could visit Fort Sumter or the USS Yorktown in between meals to rebuild our appetites.  Plus, I remember someone saying that the last time Glee Club was held in Charleston the attendance wasn't that high.  Let's do it again!

Second, Texas anyone?  I'd like to experience those bbq meat sweats I keep hearing about from the ChiTownDiner.  We would of course have to narrow it down to a particular city to explore during the weekend. 

Lastly, we can always visit Ed Sails in California. 

My top choice remains Northeastern Florida; however, these events are so much fun that I will meet you folks wherever we decide to go.  What does everyone think?

-Danny

Lurker
  • Total Posts : 0
Re:GLEE CLUB MEETING-- All Invited 2014/10/06 20:35:19 (permalink)
Although I am disappointed to hear that MH and Lleechef are not interested in attending if the Glee Club event is held in Jacksonville,  I also realize you can't please everyone all the time, I know there are many times I haven't been pleased about something but I try to make the best of it and I'm really hoping that they would reconsider. Be that as it may, I am still 110% all for Jacksonville/ St Augustine

Unfortunately we just completed a west coast trip, and I don' think I'll  be able to make another one so soon. However I am open to Charleston in the hopes that  most of the original glee clubbers would be interested in attending. It seemed (at least to me) weird and surreal when we did Charleston back in 2010, in fact it was my least favorite glee club event.  Of course there were other circumstances going on in my life at the time that didn't help matters. .

lleechef
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11900
Re:GLEE CLUB MEETING-- All Invited 2014/10/06 22:44:54 (permalink)
wj
Nothing is cast in stone with us.  We're just not too crazy about Florida.........but hey, I'm certainly no fan of Cincinnati Chili either but I wanted to go for the camaraderie!  And it was great.  We can talk about it in Charlotte next week!

EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4581
Re:GLEE CLUB MEETING-- All Invited 2014/10/07 00:12:32 (permalink)
ChiBears15

-Danny

Wood grilled Tri-tip, chili sizes and Philippes!

Lurker
Re:GLEE CLUB MEETING-- All Invited 2014/10/07 08:41:26 (permalink)
EdSails
ChiBears15

-Danny

Ed

chili size? you mean Texas style chili cheese burger?- I can get lots of good ones here in RI

How's about some Chinese Chicken Salad,  Korean Tacos, Fruit Smoothies and Wacky Rolls?
Lurker
Re:GLEE CLUB MEETING-- All Invited 2014/10/07 08:44:26 (permalink)
lleechef
wj
Nothing is cast in stone with us.  We're just not too crazy about Florida.........but hey, I'm certainly no fan of Cincinnati Chili either but I wanted to go for the camaraderie!  And it was great.  We can talk about it in Charlotte next week!

Lleechef

I'm hoping I can convince you and MH to attend if we do Jacksonville- I can understand your dismay if we were considering South Florida. If it helps, Sandra is also considering going on this trip too as well as Karilyn

I would also be open to Texas too- especially Austin and Dallas (I haven't been to Dallas in almost 10 years) while the air fares are still reasonable.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15787
Re:GLEE CLUB MEETING-- All Invited 2014/10/07 09:51:08 (permalink)
If we are talking about the traditional time of President's day weekend, what do you all think of a visit to Little Rock for BBQ, Steak, and some of the Local Pies.  We could do McClards and Stubby's in Hot Springs, Doe's for  fine Steak in L R  and DuVall's Bluff for the two rural Pie Bakeries.  Fly in and out of either Memphis or Little Rock. It's not warm empty sandy beaches, but it's not mobs of crowded major North/South Traffic either.
Just a suggestion, there would be a lot of free time to explore other entries in the RF list in that area.
Lurker
Re:GLEE CLUB MEETING-- All Invited 2014/10/07 10:00:43 (permalink)
Al

I've never seen mobs of North/South traffic in Northern Florida. TTM and I drove to/from Charleston from Jacksonville (actually on the way back, we drove to Melbourne) that time of year (in February)  and traffic was fine.

Unfortunately (for me) flights into/out of Little Rock are outrageous, Memphis isn't much better. I may have to bow out on this one.
ann peeples
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10403
Re:GLEE CLUB MEETING-- All Invited 2014/10/07 17:05:17 (permalink)
Funny story-I told Bob I would love to meet up with all of you again-but wouldnt/couldnt do a bus again( And dont want to put Al and Janet out) He said, um, you can fly this time-we are in a better place for you to do that.So, depending on the destination, I could do this.
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 12594
Re:GLEE CLUB MEETING-- All Invited 2014/10/07 18:32:29 (permalink)
mayor al
If we are talking about the traditional time of President's day weekend, what do you all think of a visit to Little Rock for BBQ, Steak, and some of the Local Pies.  We could do McClards and Stubby's in Hot Springs, Doe's for  fine Steak in L R  and DuVall's Bluff for the two rural Pie Bakeries.  Fly in and out of either Memphis or Little Rock. It's not warm empty sandy beaches, but it's not mobs of crowded major North/South Traffic either.
Just a suggestion, there would be a lot of free time to explore other entries in the RF list in that area.

I have been mostly staying out of it, figuring it was better to see where the majority of people want to go and then decide if we could make it or not.  But, the idea of Little Rock grabbed my attention.  There is no beach nearby, but this would be a big upgrade in the quality of food.  This is a highly underrated part of the country for great eats.  If Little Rock is chosen, we will definitely be there.  Of course, we may be there no matter what destination is chosen.
Lurker
Re:GLEE CLUB MEETING-- All Invited 2014/10/07 19:22:03 (permalink)
I too think Little Rock is a great idea and would love to attend, unfortunately, it is almost certain that Sandra would be unable to attend and if airfares don't drop dramatically (it appears they won't because they are NOW advertising lower fares) I would also be unable attend 

mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEETING-- All Invited 2014/10/07 19:24:56 (permalink)
BB, your knowledge of the places beyond those I mentioned in my comment would be a big help in establishing a set of "choices" for us when we visit the Hot Springs and Little Rock Area,  The up-side of the selection would be a number of highly rated places many of us have either not visited, or not been there for a long time.  the down-side is missing out on Gulf seafood, Perhaps some good Catfish can help make up for that.
I need to know from someone who tracks those holidays-- when is Marde Gras?  President's Day usually falls on the Monday between the two President's actual birthdates (11 & 22) making it Feb 16th, 2015.  How does that fit with Marde Grau???  We are looking at the Glee Club Gathering "formally" Friday evening Feb.13, doing a days activities Saturday the 14th, and sharing some form of Breakfast/Brunch on Sunday the 15th. As usual many folks may choose to gather earlier or stay later, reaching out to other locations than those set for the groups meetings. If we get some positive feedback from members we will continue the planning of the session, If most folks prefer to go elsewhere, then  perhaps another plan will develope.
This is not the Inauguration of a President, it is a simple gathering of friends, Let's try to keep it that way.
lleechef
Porterhouse
Re:GLEE CLUB MEETING-- All Invited 2014/10/07 19:43:14 (permalink)
Mardi Gras is Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2015.  We would prefer Little Rock for the reasons Al posted above.  Yes, it would be nice to have Gulf seafood again, but we did that last year in Mobile.  But then, that would mean wj and Sandra wouldn't be there.  I'm glad I'm not in charge of making this decision.   
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:GLEE CLUB MEETING-- All Invited 2014/10/07 19:51:17 (permalink)
wanderingjew
EdSails
ChiBears15

-Danny

Ed

chili size? you mean Texas style chili cheese burger?- I can get lots of good ones here in RI

How's about some Chinese Chicken Salad,  Korean Tacos, Fruit Smoothies and Wacky Rolls?

Dale, you know I would never, ever suggest an item that is not region-specific.
The chili size was invented in L.A., is open-faced and a true original here. This will explain the history. And here it is. 

I will go with you on Korean tacos and aguas frescas. And even on Chinese Chicken Salad, although that is as authentically Chinese as fortune cookies. Wacky rolls----I don't think so!
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 12594
Re:GLEE CLUB MEETING-- All Invited 2014/10/07 19:52:46 (permalink)
mayor al
BB, your knowledge of the places beyond those I mentioned in my comment would be a big help in establishing a set of "choices" for us when we visit the Hot Springs and Little Rock Area.

Would be happy to help in anyway possible.  I have plans to be in central Arkansas next month, with a long list of places to check out. 

EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:GLEE CLUB MEETING-- All Invited 2014/10/07 20:02:43 (permalink)
And here's another shot of my favorite L.A. dish, the Chili Size!

This is one of my favorite versions, from the Gaffey Street Diner in San Pedro.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 23238
Re:GLEE CLUB MEETING-- All Invited 2014/10/07 20:08:44 (permalink)
Ed,

Several years ago I had them make one for me at the Waffle House.
lleechef
Porterhouse
Re:GLEE CLUB MEETING-- All Invited 2014/10/07 20:24:36 (permalink)
Ed
What on earth is that?
Lurker
Re:GLEE CLUB MEETING-- All Invited 2014/10/07 20:42:45 (permalink)

Ed,

You know I  don't doubt you, but to me it will always be a texas chili cheeseburger like the one I enjoyed in Wichita at TJ's Burger House back in August. 

I know you're a "sushi snob", but  still how can you pass this up? Besides like it or not, LA still takes the credit for this.

Lurker
Re:GLEE CLUB MEETING-- All Invited 2014/10/07 20:46:17 (permalink)
lleechef

Right now, fares for Little Rock are nearly $400 and flights to Memphis are over $300. 
I know I can't afford that, and since Sandra pays her own way on air fare, I know she couldn't. Even if the fares get lower (hopefully towards the $200 range)  I'll be able to attend, but I doubt I'll be able to convince her to go to Little Rock (but I'll always ask) 

will_work_4_bbq
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 710
Re:GLEE CLUB MEETING-- All Invited 2014/10/07 21:04:04 (permalink)
I'm easy.  I'll go to Jacksonville.  I'll go to Little Rock.  I'll go to Texas.  I'd even go back to Nashville.  I'd stay right here in Birmingham if folks wanted to come here.  I missed having no Glee Club last year, and I am really looking forward to seeing everyone, AND eating some great food no matter where we go!  (California would be a bit expensive however.....if I flew all the way out there, I'd feel obligated to stay for a while!)  Just name it, and let's make plans!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEETING-- All Invited 2014/10/07 21:34:31 (permalink)
It will be the 60th Anniversary of  "The Brown vs Board of Education Decision"  an event in American history of enough import to bring this group together. However our main purpose is social, not sociologic, So, while we may visit site's important to the Civil Rights Movement, that will not be our primary purpose for choosing Little Rock, The City's outstanding examples of "Comfort Foods" and another branch of the famous "DOE'S" Beef source will be our targets, with history and culture filling the gaps between  our culinary adventures.

Janet and I are already discussing how or rather, if the new canines will travel with us. It may be a good time for Demi to have some solo time with us. I'll put out a note to previous attendee's to see if Little Rock would be acceptable and report back when I have results.

Ed, I'm sorry but currently I would be unable to fly and the drive would require too much time off Janet's job for us to attend in Calif. Hopefully that situation will be changing in the near future. I hope we can draw you East again, even without the Oysters, Your company added much to the group at our Mobile meetings.

You Texans need to check your calendars, we are coming close to you...  TIKI get your Sooner wagon ready to roll...
more later...NCIS is on...
ChiBears15
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 525
Re:GLEE CLUB MEETING-- All Invited 2014/10/07 21:42:30 (permalink)
will_work_4_bbq
I'm easy.  I'll go to Jacksonville.  I'll go to Little Rock.  I'll go to Texas.  I'd even go back to Nashville.  I'd stay right here in Birmingham if folks wanted to come here.  I missed having no Glee Club last year, and I am really looking forward to seeing everyone, AND eating some great food no matter where we go!  (California would be a bit expensive however.....if I flew all the way out there, I'd feel obligated to stay for a while!)  Just name it, and let's make plans!

will_work_4_bbq,

I am in the same boat as you.  Someone please make an executive decision already!  I want to start forming a gameplan.

We need to find some way to have both Michael Hoffman and Wanderingjew attend this  

-Danny
post edited by ChiBears15 - 2014/10/07 21:43:54
Lurker
Re:GLEE CLUB MEETING-- All Invited 2014/10/07 21:56:18 (permalink)
ChiBears15
will_work_4_bbq

will_work_4_bbq,

I am in the same boat as you.  Someone please make an executive decision already!  I want to start forming a gameplan.

We need to find some way to have both Michael Hoffman and Wanderingjew attend this  

-Danny

Well.....
Does anyone want to pass the hat around for the overage above $250 for my roundtrip air fare ? You know I turn 50 the following month. That would be a great birthday present! I can always  give some of my credits to Sandra to cut her fare in half.... Then it might work......

Ok, perhaps I'm not serious... or maybe I am.....  but I think it's up to the airlines right now 

joerogo
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5326
Re:GLEE CLUB MEETING-- All Invited 2014/10/07 21:57:36 (permalink)
Ok, I'm going to chime in here.  Please remember, I love everybody!  

Hopefully this year I will borrow a shirt from Michael Hoffman and attend my first Glee Club Event.  But, to me, it would not be the same without the Mayor in attendance.  So, I would like, for this year, a place easily accessible for Al and all the original Glee Club Members.  I can get great food anywhere, heck, I can cook great food!  But, you only get so many chances to meet unique people.  Plus, I think Al owes me a McDouble 
joerogo
Sirloin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEETING-- All Invited 2014/10/07 21:59:41 (permalink)
Plus, I have faith in WJ's credit card 

Lurker
Re:GLEE CLUB MEETING-- All Invited 2014/10/07 22:02:09 (permalink)
joerogo
Ok, I'm going to chime in here.  Please remember, I love everybody!  

Hopefully this year I will borrow a shirt from Michael Hoffman and attend my first Glee Club Event.  But, to me, it would not be the same without the Mayor in attendance.  So, I would like, for this year, a place easily accessible for Al and all the original Glee Club Members.  I can get great food anywhere, heck, I can cook great food!  But, you only get so many chances to meet unique people.  Plus, I think Al owes me a McDouble 

I agree,

Al should make the executive decision...

Lurker
Re:GLEE CLUB MEETING-- All Invited 2014/10/07 22:02:45 (permalink)
joerogo

Sorry, I have long awaited condo repairs to do. My condo is falling apart around me. The buck stops here...
joerogo
Sirloin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEETING-- All Invited 2014/10/07 22:04:46 (permalink)
wanderingjew
joerogo

Sorry, I have long awaited condo repairs to do. My condo is falling apart around me. The buck stops here...

Need a deal on windows?
Page: << < ..2122232425.. > >> Showing page 25 of 26
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5