Author
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15787
2014/10/07 22:43:02 (permalink)

GLEE CLUB MEETING-- All Invited to LITTLE ROCK ARKANSAS

THE DECISION HAS BEEN MADE-  
LITTLE  ROCK AND HOT SPRINGS, ARKANSAS IN FEB.2015

Doe's in Little Rock Saturday evening Group  Evening Dinner- Uniform Shirts Please.

Stubby's when they open Saturday for early Lunch

McClard's or an alternate (fish house?) Friday night

alternate snack/pie-stops, sight-seeing, naps, etc between main meals.

We will be looking for a hotel with a price break in one or the othe city
preferably with a late night bar 
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 23230
Re:GLEE CLUB MEETING-- All Invited 2014/10/07 22:55:07 (permalink)
What do you need Joe? A 5XL? I can order one for you.
will_work_4_bbq
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 710
Re:GLEE CLUB MEETING-- All Invited 2014/10/07 23:03:04 (permalink)
Woohooooo!!!  I finally get to go to Doe's!  Great choice for Glee Club among so many good options.  Thanks, Mayor!
will_work_4_bbq
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 710
Re:GLEE CLUB MEETING-- All Invited 2014/10/07 23:06:23 (permalink)
wanderingjew
lleechef

Right now, fares for Little Rock are nearly $400 and flights to Memphis are over $300. 
I know I can't afford that, and since Sandra pays her own way on air fare, I know she couldn't. Even if the fares get lower (hopefully towards the $200 range)  I'll be able to attend, but I doubt I'll be able to convince her to go to Little Rock (but I'll always ask) 

Dale, tell Sandra that Arkansas has Piggly Wiggly stores!  
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3947
Re:GLEE CLUB MEETING-- All Invited 2014/10/08 02:08:00 (permalink)
Well, how is this for a co-inky-dink? Guess where I had dinner last night?

My attendance will depend on my work schedule, which I do not yet know. I have exchanged a few texts with buffetbuster the last couple of days seeking advice on barbecue in Hot Springs. Unfortunately, many places are closed Mondays in Arkansas. That has gummed up my ability to get to McClard's for going on ten years now. If I am able to make it, I may finally get to go to some of the places that have been perpetually closed on every single one of my (always Monday) visits to Arkansas.
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 12589
Re:GLEE CLUB MEETING-- All Invited 2014/10/08 05:45:28 (permalink)
Al, thanks so much for stepping up and making a decision on this, which is exactly what was needed.  And I can't imagine a better place for a big Glee Club meal than Doe's Eat Place.  As I have mentioned elsewhere, I do think the food at this Doe's is every bit as good if not better than the original Greenville, MS location.  And for the people who aren't big steak lovers, they also have great tamales, fried and broiled shrimp.  And as we found out during the 2013 Roadfood bus tour, where they took exceptional care of us, even their salmon was first-rate.

I am very hopeful that WJ and Sandra will be able to attend and isn't that great news that annpeeples may be able to fly in?  There are usually reasonable direct flights on Delta to Memphis from Pittsburgh, so getting there won't be much of an issue for us. 
ann peeples
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10403
Re:GLEE CLUB MEETING-- All Invited 2014/10/08 10:23:13 (permalink)
Ok, this sounds great! I will get there one way or another!
lleechef
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11892
Re:GLEE CLUB MEETING-- All Invited 2014/10/08 10:36:41 (permalink)
Thanks, Al!  Looking forward to seeing everyone in Little Rock!! 
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4581
Re:GLEE CLUB MEETING-- All Invited 2014/10/08 12:49:21 (permalink)
wanderingjew

Ed,

You know I  don't doubt you, but to me it will always be a texas chili cheeseburger like the one I enjoyed in Wichita at TJ's Burger House back in August. 

I know you're a "sushi snob", but  still how can you pass this up? Besides like it or not, LA still takes the credit for this.

Aye, there's the difference. Looks like an open-faced double chili burger while the chili size serves the top bun split. Ah, those regional variations. It is interesting, because I never have seen it done the Texas way, but out here it uses one patty and a whole lot of chili. 

Ok, so I see in the other photo teriyaki sauce, what looks like imitation lobster, maybe scrambled eggs.......I'm guessing but it's probably a popular dish at some of these late-night teriyaki places. Am I close?

Michael, I can totally see your WH making one. I'll remember that next time I visit!

Lisa, 
This explains it all in my very own words. A chili size is definitely a knife and fork thing!

MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5635
Re:GLEE CLUB MEETING-- All Invited 2014/10/08 15:42:33 (permalink)
wanderingjew
joerogo
Ok, I'm going to chime in here.  Please remember, I love everybody!  

Hopefully this year I will borrow a shirt from Michael Hoffman and attend my first Glee Club Event.  But, to me, it would not be the same without the Mayor in attendance.  So, I would like, for this year, a place easily accessible for Al and all the original Glee Club Members.  I can get great food anywhere, heck, I can cook great food!  But, you only get so many chances to meet unique people.  Plus, I think Al owes me a McDouble 

I agree,
Al should make the executive decision... 

I'd say The Mayor has made the Executive decision. Little Rock is fine by me.

I'm going to spend two weeks with The Mouse in Orlando over Christmas. So I can easily spend some time in Jacksonville/St. Augustine during that time.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5635
Re:GLEE CLUB MEETING-- All Invited 2014/10/08 15:47:57 (permalink)
If we do Little Rock WJ & Sandra could drive to my place, we'd stop in Nashville and pick up Poverty Pete on our way through. Or it could be Sundancer and Roz from Knoxville. Or....
Lurker
  • Total Posts : 0
Re:GLEE CLUB MEETING-- All Invited 2014/10/08 19:45:43 (permalink)
MikeS.
If we do Little Rock WJ & Sandra could drive to my place, we'd stop in Nashville and pick up Poverty Pete on our way through. Or it could be Sundancer and Roz from Knoxville. Or....

Mike S

Thank you for the kind gesture

I know I'll never be able to convince Sandra to get in a car and travel all the way from here to Little Rock. Also I'm not exactly comfortable driving long distances in the northeast in the middle of winter because you never know when you might get hit with a surprise blizzard.

Unfortunately I just don't know if Little Rock is going to be palatable to Sandra, that's why we were hoping for Jacksonville/St Augustine because we would have considered spending a couple of days in Charleston and perhaps a day in Savannah.  (I will talk to her tonight)
Ultimately whether I make it will depend on whether Chi Bears can split the rental car costs with me as that will make up the difference on the overage on the airfare (unless folks are  willing to pass the hat around) I know that's a winking smiley but I still might be serious!  . I'll try to contact him sometime this week to discuss.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 23230
Re:GLEE CLUB MEETING-- All Invited 2014/10/08 19:47:41 (permalink)
WJ,

We're hoping you'll make it. And we're hoping to see Sandra there, too.
Lurker
Re:GLEE CLUB MEETING-- All Invited 2014/10/08 19:49:34 (permalink)
EdSails
wanderingjew

Ed,

I know you're a "sushi snob", but  still how can you pass this up? Besides like it or not, LA still takes the credit for this.

Ok, so I see in the other photo teriyaki sauce, what looks like imitation lobster, maybe scrambled eggs.......I'm guessing but it's probably a popular dish at some of these late-night teriyaki places. Am I close?

Ed

That's a Chenzo Roll from the famous California Roll Factory the place responsible for starting the whole wacky roll trend. Those are not scrambled eggs, but tempura crumbles. Here's  a description of the ingredients from my Roadfood review "The Chenzo roll consists of shrimp tempura, crab, and avocado with a tempura crumble topping. The roll is then drizzled in eel sauce which is a thick, savory and sweet teriyaki-style sauce."
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:GLEE CLUB MEETING-- All Invited 2014/10/08 23:28:10 (permalink)
wanderingjew
EdSails
wanderingjew

Ed,

Ed

That's a Chenzo Roll from the famous California Roll Factory the place responsible for starting the whole wacky roll trend. Those are not scrambled eggs, but tempura crumbles. Here's  a description of the ingredients from my Roadfood review "The Chenzo roll consists of shrimp tempura, crab, and avocado with a tempura crumble topping. The roll is then drizzled in eel sauce which is a thick, savory and sweet teriyaki-style sauce."

I was going to say tempura crumbles, but it didn't seem crazy enough. Plus, I'm actually not that familiar with the different rolls. I actually used to go to one place that had a sign saying "We do not serve California roll" and another where the sign says "no soy sauce to be used unless chef tells you to", because they make up special sauces for many of the orders. When it comes to sushi, I don't consider myself as much a snob as I do a traditionalist. Avocado is for guacamole!
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:GLEE CLUB MEETING-- All Invited 2014/10/09 00:35:44 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby joerogo 2014/10/09 07:22:30
wanderingjew

Ed,

You know I  don't doubt you, but to me it will always be a texas chili cheeseburger like the one I enjoyed in Wichita at TJ's Burger House back in August. 

Dale,
So since we started this "conversation", I've been craving a chili size. My two favorite places here are breakfast lunch only, so a chili size there was out of the question and the other place in the area that does dinner also made possibly the worst chili size I've ever had. I googled and oogled and found a place near me that had it for dinner. The problem was, it looked more like your description of a Texas style chili burger, even down to the Texas Toast....

I went there anyways, just to see how they did it. This is what I actually got....

The flavor was good, with more of a chili sauce without beans similar to Original Tommy's chili. Where they deviated the most was using one bun, untoasted, laid flat with two thinner patties on them. Also different---I had to order cheese and onions separately. As you can see from the picture earlier in the thread, most chili sizes I have gotten use a thick patty, the top bun is split and toasted while onions and cheese are automatically included. Well, I certainly am finding a variety now!

post edited by EdSails - 2014/10/09 00:38:44

Attached Image(s)

Lurker
Re:GLEE CLUB MEETING-- All Invited 2014/10/09 07:53:48 (permalink)
Ok,

Sandra is definitely out.
Chi Bears and I will talk tonight to see what we can coordinate. So I'll definitely know by tomorrow whether or not I'm in (contingent that the airfares don't go up between now and then)
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5802
Re:GLEE CLUB MEETING-- All Invited 2014/10/09 08:09:36 (permalink)
What does The Contingent have to do with this?
Lurker
Re:GLEE CLUB MEETING-- All Invited 2014/10/09 08:13:13 (permalink)
JRPfeff
What does The Contingent have to do with this?

You guys are in charge of the air fares
Lurker
Re:GLEE CLUB MEETING-- All Invited 2014/10/09 08:17:01 (permalink)
I just realized, since Sandra is not coming, I think I'm going to use my Southwest Credits to cut the cost of airfare in half.
Lurker
Re:GLEE CLUB MEETING-- All Invited 2014/10/09 09:01:33 (permalink)
Ed

BTW

Tommy's had to be one of my nastiest Roadfood experiences ever....Totally Gross!
ann peeples
Porterhouse
Re:GLEE CLUB MEETING-- All Invited 2014/10/09 09:50:42 (permalink)
In everyones opinion, what is the best site to get good airfare prices? I dont fly much, so I am not well versed...

ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5394
Re:GLEE CLUB MEETING-- All Invited 2014/10/09 10:37:48 (permalink)
buffetbuster
mayor al
If we are talking about the traditional time of President's day weekend, what do you all think of a visit to Little Rock for BBQ, Steak, and some of the Local Pies.  We could do McClards and Stubby's in Hot Springs, Doe's for  fine Steak in L R  and DuVall's Bluff for the two rural Pie Bakeries.  Fly in and out of either Memphis or Little Rock. It's not warm empty sandy beaches, but it's not mobs of crowded major North/South Traffic either.
Just a suggestion, there would be a lot of free time to explore other entries in the RF list in that area.

I have been mostly staying out of it, figuring it was better to see where the majority of people want to go and then decide if we could make it or not.  But, the idea of Little Rock grabbed my attention.  There is no beach nearby, but this would be a big upgrade in the quality of food.  This is a highly underrated part of the country for great eats.  If Little Rock is chosen, we will definitely be there.  Of course, we may be there no matter what destination is chosen.

Hard to  imagine a Glee Club without you on the beach in your Speedo kicking sand in all the boys faces!  I remember WJ & TTM fighting (literally) over who would put oil on your back!  Them was the days! 
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEETING-- All Invited 2014/10/09 10:43:06 (permalink)
CTD-
You must have me confused with someone else.  They don't make speedos that big.
lleechef
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11892
Re:GLEE CLUB MEETING-- All Invited 2014/10/09 10:58:30 (permalink)
annie,
I have always used Travelocity.  But bb and wj do a lot more travelling than I do, maybe they can chime in.  But bb is currently defending himself about the Speedo........
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEETING-- All Invited 2014/10/09 11:39:05 (permalink)
Ann,

Southwest has pretty good fares out of Milwaukee. You have to go to Southwest.com to buy tickets. They don't sell thru Travelocity.

Jim
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEETING-- All Invited 2014/10/09 12:11:53 (permalink)
lleechef
annie,
I have always used Travelocity.  But bb and wj do a lot more travelling than I do, maybe they can chime in. 

Southwest is definitely your best bet if you fly into Little Rock.  Delta if you fly into Memphis, which is two hours away.
ann peeples
Porterhouse
Re:GLEE CLUB MEETING-- All Invited 2014/10/09 14:25:10 (permalink)
Thanks-will look into it. However-would love to terrorize The Mayor, fly into Louisville, and drive with he and Janet. Oh, Lord, THAT would be fun.
ann peeples
Porterhouse
Re:GLEE CLUB MEETING-- All Invited 2014/10/09 14:47:10 (permalink)
I want to fly in directly...
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEETING-- All Invited 2014/10/09 15:04:26 (permalink)
Ann,

I've got it all set up for you. Be at Sam Drucker's store by 7:00. Mr. Haney will pick you up and drive you to the Pixley airport where one of the Monroe brothers will fly you in a crop duster down to Little Rock.

Jim
Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 9
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5