Helpful ReplyGatlinburg, TN

Author
ajp1111
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 20
2018/08/01 16:58:59 (permalink)

Gatlinburg, TN

What are the good places to eat in the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area? Have been there in the past and want something apart from the dinner show/family entertainment type places.
scrumptiouschef
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2318
Re: Gatlinburg, TN 2018/08/02 00:30:28 (permalink)
Hoping someone checks in with memories of the old Duff's Smorgasobord. I loved it when I was in grammar school. Hope it's still around.
hatteras04
  • Total Posts : 1338
Re: Gatlinburg, TN 2018/08/02 11:33:23 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby JRPfeff 2018/08/03 09:34:01
My wife and I have been to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge 4 times now and we have managed to never go to a dinner show type place.  The closest to something like that we have done is the Apple Barn which is a lot like a Cracker Barrel in my opinion.  But we deal with the crowds to get the apple fritters which are very good.  The other crowded place we go is to the Peddler Steakhouse.  Good steak.  Great salad bar and view if you can snag a window seat.  It's not too hard if you are willing to go early. 

Right in Gatlinburg, we liked the New Orleans Deli.  We've only been one time but I thought the po boys were pretty close to what I had in New Orleans.  On the artist loop we had a great lunch at the Wild Plum Tea Room.  That was the time we were there during the Christmas season and it was very festive with a nice fire.  

Last time we also discovered the "quiet side of the Smokies."  We only tried one restauratn and one coffee shop there and I can;t for the life of me remember the name of them.   But we really enjoyed the vibe on that side and will probably look to stay in that area next time.

Have fun exploring.
ajp1111
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 20
Re: Gatlinburg, TN 2018/08/02 11:37:03 (permalink)
Thank you Hatteras, I will definitely check these places out
RKB
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 225
Re: Gatlinburg, TN 2018/08/02 18:07:52 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby JRPfeff 2018/08/03 09:33:18
+1 on the Peddler. Be there when they open and ask for a table overlooking the water. Nice view, reasonably good steak at a reasonable price, and an above average salad bar.
justbeachy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 12
Re: Gatlinburg, TN 2018/08/03 09:02:03 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby JRPfeff 2018/08/03 09:32:50
We always eat at The Old Mill in Pigeon Forge.  It's one of my favorite places anywhere, honestly.  There is almost always a wait, unless you go during an off season but the food is consistently good.  Otherwise, we usually end up at a pancake house or grabbing something from a grocery store. 
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5471
Re: Gatlinburg, TN 2018/08/03 09:38:48 (permalink)
hatteras04
My wife and I have been to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge 4 times now and we have managed to never go to a dinner show type place.  The closest to something like that we have done is the Apple Barn which is a lot like a Cracker Barrel in my opinion.  But we deal with the crowds to get the apple fritters which are very good.  The other crowded place we go is to the Peddler Steakhouse.  Good steak.  Great salad bar and view if you can snag a window seat.  It's not too hard if you are willing to go early. 

Right in Gatlinburg, we liked the New Orleans Deli.  We've only been one time but I thought the po boys were pretty close to what I had in New Orleans.  On the artist loop we had a great lunch at the Wild Plum Tea Room.  That was the time we were there during the Christmas season and it was very festive with a nice fire.  

Last time we also discovered the "quiet side of the Smokies."  We only tried one restauratn and one coffee shop there and I can;t for the life of me remember the name of them.   But we really enjoyed the vibe on that side and will probably look to stay in that area next time.

Have fun exploring.

hatteras04,

Does "quiet side" mean NC? We had a hard time finding a place to eat when we visited Cherokee. It is a step back in time on that side.
donw9876
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 327
Re: Gatlinburg, TN 2018/08/03 22:32:36 (permalink)
Another vote here for The Old Mill, although it's ultra-touristy and a *lot* of the waitstaff seems to be Russian workers. (I have no problem with that at all but I'm saying that it may not feel totally authentic.) Also it's super crowded and there are long lines near meal times. However - it's some of the very best food for the money in those cities.

The Pottery Cafe' across the street is far more refined, run by the same concern, with more fresh foods and salads on the menu, and with the option for seating in a beautiful garden area.

The Smokey Mountain Brewery has generally excellent food, and one night of the week has 50% off pizza. Plus flights of beer. The location in Pigeon Forge seems more professional and better than the one in Gatlinburg to us, but either is fine. This place is owned by the same concern that owns Calhoun's Ribs which is also quite reliable.

No Way Jose's in Gatlinburg has great atmosphere and excellent food. The location in Pigeon Forge in our opinion is not quite as good in either respect.

For breakfasts and lunches the Pancake Pantry in Gatlinburg in "the Village" development near the north end of town is really good.

Bullfish Grill in Pigeon Forge - low-light and a bit refined, and excellent for evening dinner and/or drinks.

Best Italian Cafe' in Gatlinburg has very good NY style inspired pizza, and garlic knots.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13884
Re: Gatlinburg, TN 2018/08/04 13:30:07 (permalink)
I can definitely   recommend the Applewood Farmhouse restaurant.  I was in the Air National Guard with the owner and his brother.  I have ate there numerous times.  Breakfast, Lunch and dinner are all great.  The place is a tourist destination with a huge barn gift shop, bakery, candy store, two restaurants, hotel and apple orchard and the beautiful Pigeon river.  You will love their comp  apple fritters and juice.
http://applewoodfarmhouserestaurant.com/

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

hatteras04
  • Total Posts : 1338
Re: Gatlinburg, TN 2018/08/04 14:38:11 (permalink)
JRPfeef - no that refers to the area west of PF/Gatlinburg around Townsend/Walland. We saw several signs proclaiming it to be the quiet side.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13884
Re: Gatlinburg, TN 2018/08/05 10:45:24 (permalink)
hatteras04,

Does "quiet side" mean NC? We had a hard time finding a place to eat when we visited Cherokee. It is a step back in time on that side.

For sure that is Townsend.  A very beautiful part of the area with the road following the river.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5