Generator vs battery setup

Author
TennesseeBBQ
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
2017/07/29 08:51:52 (permalink)

Generator vs battery setup

Hey all! I'm planning on opening a trailer next summer and I'm researching what I want to do for power. I know that most folks use generators and I feel comfortable with how to go about that route. I was wondering if anyone had experience using batteries? I did a search on the forums but could not find much info. Apparently the technology is now viable for this, and I like the appeal of no noise and emissions, and I would love to eventually tie in solar panels to the setup. It seems like it would take about $5,000 to get everything for the battery setup, which is competitive with a generator setup based on what i've seen. Thanks for any thoughts or comments.

2 Replies Related Threads

paulnye
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 80
    Re: Generator vs battery setup 2017/07/29 10:27:23 (permalink)
    Check out Reece's P30 thread. He started with a genny, then switched to a full battery bank, then back to a genny. The battery bank was good on paper but the recharge time required the truck be plugged in overnight and some. Also I think he wanted to be selling all day sometimes, and the battery bank would not last
    post edited by paulnye - 2017/07/29 10:29:16
    Inkys
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 138
    Re: Generator vs battery setup 2017/09/07 12:07:29 (permalink)
    That was is the same conclusion I came to. I was going to use batteries, if not for all my power, then part of it. I even looked at using batteries for overnight to power the fridges when out of town over a weekend. I canceled the whole idea of batteries. 

Recharge time a a problem.
    It's not cost effective as you'll wind up with a generator anyway.
    Getting the amp hours you need is harder than it looks on paper
    And the space and weight are an issue. 

At this point the last thing I want to do is spend thousands of dollars to add hundreds of pound to my truck having to get rid of some thing more useful to make space for it so I can have another system I need to maintain that at best will save a little gas and at worst will leave me stranded and unable to sell with a fridge full of spoiled food.  
    My2Cents
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5